Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? (1553 Views)

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? / Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? / Cyber Security In Nigeria: Any Hope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by syluck(m): 8:42pm On Dec 20, 2021
Well, I've been coding and developing projects for quite some time, I'm at "regular" level now. I'm quite so familiar with Django, Python, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, Panda, Requests, BeautifulSoup etc at the moment. My online portfolio is 60% ready. Hopefully I will launch it early next year.

But...

I've been surfing the internet at my casual time hoping for a job I could fit in when I'm done launching my portfolio. The thing is, I do see most job opportunities with this prerequisite of having a degree. It's always tormenting because I have none. I hope to further my education(I'm currently an ND student, will finish by end of next year) with the little I earn from being a software developer. I always find myself wanting whenever I see that.

I really wish to know my chances of being employed remotely or full-time if I eventually launch my portfolio without any Degree.

Will my portfolio (the projects on it) determine if I can be gainfully employed? If Yes, what are those python/Django projects that can boost my chances so good.

I have my github profile too.

Below is my scheduled plans of how I want my software developer career to be like.

I'm also a resourceful person and I can surf the internet so good lol.
Coding makes me so happy except when that bugs comes in grin

*Modified*

2 Likes

Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by ahmthankgod(m): 8:57pm On Dec 20, 2021
Bro, if you surf the internet good enough, you'll see that it requires a degree but it doesn't do you get what am saying? But it would reduce your payment.
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:15pm On Dec 20, 2021
Big hope forget the rubbish degree requirements. The richest developer I know he's a Blockchain developer has just an ond from yabatech. With his diploma he was a Blockchain tech lead at one of the biggest banks in Nigeria. Won't mention the name Because he can be traced. Dude is so filthy rich that he doesn't know what to do with money. Took all his workers on vacation and bought each one of them the latest MacBook.

9 Likes

Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by stanliwise(m): 8:14pm On Dec 21, 2021
syluck:
Well, I've been coding and developing projects for quite some time, I'm at "regular" level now. I'm quite so familiar with Django, Python, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, Panda, Requests, BeautifulSoup etc at the moment. My online portfolio is 60% ready. Hopefully I will launch it early next year.

But...

I've been surfing the internet at my casual time hoping for a job I could fit in when I'm done launching my portfolio. The thing is, I do see most job opportunities with this prerequisite of having a degree. It's always tormenting because I have none. I hope to further my education(I'm currently an ND student, will finish by end of next year) with the little I earn from being a software developer. I always find myself wanting whenever I see that.

I really wish to know my chances of being employed remotely or full-time if I eventually launch my portfolio without any Degree.

Will my portfolio (the projects on it) determine if I can be gainfully employed? If Yes, what are those python/Django projects that can boost my chances so good.

I have my github profile too.

Below is my scheduled plans of how I want my software developer career to be like.

I'm also a resourceful person and I can surf the internet so good lol.
Coding makes me so happy except when that bugs comes in grin

*Modified*
But you know there is nothing anyone can tell you and it would sound convincing to you.
If there is anyway forward, I would say you keep learning to work with the feeling and eventually if it gets too strong, maybe you could get the degree to calm that nerves but if eventually you get to find out that maybe it wasn’t useful later on. Okay then that would be fine.
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by Sheriman(m): 10:19pm On Dec 21, 2021
Degree is important oooo even our petty petty Tech companies in Nigeria, big or small tech firm in Europe or America requires you to have a degree from a reputable university. It maybe any course but you must have a degree from a well recognized school in your country. Go to www.artstation.com for 3D Artist go to LinkedIn for Tech related jobs you all see those companies or entertainment industries require a degree before giving you the job
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by TheManOfTheYear: 8:46am On Dec 22, 2021
Sheriman:
Degree is important oooo even our petty petty Tech companies in Nigeria, big or small tech firm in Europe or America requires you to have a degree from a reputable university. It maybe any course but you must have a degree from a well recognized school in your country. Go to www.artstation.com for 3D Artist go to LinkedIn for Tech related jobs you all see those companies or entertainment industries require a degree before giving you the job
This issue has always been a debate in the tech industry, well there are people with just GED in the US who are working for fortune500 companies and earning seven figures, likewise there are people with CS degrees who are yet to even land their first job.

Any company HR that is looking to hire tech professionals especially programmers and designers and makes degree a requirement is definitely making a foolish move.

Tech is a practical field where the conventional school's curriculum can't even keep up with .
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by Sheriman(m): 9:17am On Dec 22, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
This issue has always been a debate in the tech industry, well there are people with just GED in the US who are working for fortune500 companies and earning seven figures, likewise there are people with CS degrees who are yet to even land their first job.

Any company HR that is looking to hire tech professionals especially programmers and designers and makes degree a requirement is definitely making a foolish move.

Tech is a practical field where the conventional school's curriculum can't even keep up with .
Yeah, you're absolutely right but they still want you to present a degree certificate. Not compulsorily a computer related courses but if you have that an added advantage.
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by syluck(m): 8:09pm On Dec 23, 2021
stanliwise:

But you know there is nothing anyone can tell you and it would sound convincing to you.
If there is anyway forward, I would say you keep learning to work with the feeling and eventually if it gets too strong, maybe you could get the degree to calm that nerves but if eventually you get to find out that maybe it wasn’t useful later on. Okay then that would be fine.

I'm not saying I won't get the degree. No degree is a waste they would say. But my emphasis is on the necessity of this degree to the programming world.

How often do people without this degree employed or allowed to work on a project and getting paid?
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by syluck(m): 8:14pm On Dec 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Big hope forget the rubbish degree requirements. The richest developer I know he's a Blockchain developer has just an ond from yabatech. With his diploma he was a Blockchain tech lead at one of the biggest banks in Nigeria. Won't mention the name Because he can be traced. Dude is so filthy rich that he doesn't know what to do with money. Took all his workers on vacation and bought each one of them the latest MacBook.

I've been following you quite often on this platform. I like the way you encourage fellow developers to put on the good work. I appreciate.

The fact remains, I've been on LinkedIn and most tech related job vacancies I see there always has degree as a prerequisite and I'm into web development with python and Django. I just need that experience working with people before I dive into any other tech stack. I've been a self taught for long and it's really getting boring lol.
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2021
syluck:

I've been following you quite often on this platform. I like the way you encourage fellow developers to put on the good work. I appreciate.

The fact remains, I've been on LinkedIn and most tech related job vacancies I see there always has degree as a prerequisite and I'm into web development with python and Django. I just need that experience working with people before I dive into any other tech stack. I've been a self taught for long and it's really getting boring lol.

Yeah python and Django is horrible. Even if you search for a job you might not get one with that stack and it might take really long to get a job. Learn cool stuff like react and laravel or platforms like Magento, salesforce, servicenow etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by Deicide: 9:04pm On Dec 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah python and Django is horrible. Even if you search for a job you might not get one with that stack and it might take really long to get a job. Learn cool stuff like react and laravel or platforms like Magento, salesforce, servicenow etc.
So basically na php related stuff run for 9ja?
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:11pm On Dec 23, 2021
Deicide:
So basically na php related stuff run for 9ja?
9ja and abroad. The only country you find a lot of Django jobs is the UK and those jobs are not for beginners
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 23, 2021
Build mobile apps and upload to playstore.
It's easier for potential employers to give you a chance that way.
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by ReactJs(m): 10:58pm On Dec 23, 2021
Lol
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by Grandlord: 8:57am On Dec 24, 2021
onecoder:

Build mobile apps and upload to playstore.
It's easier for potential employers to give you a chance that way.
This.

Drop the job seeker orientation and work with the entrepreneurial mindset. You'd be able to build solutions most companies will admire an they'd want to have you on board.
Maybe then you'd even turn them down because your cool app is turning over 4 figure USDs on a daily cool

But it requires drive, effort and time you know.

1 Like

Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by dante91: 9:09am On Dec 24, 2021
interesting
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by bet9ja(m): 12:26pm On Dec 24, 2021
Based on my personal experience, Do not undervalue yourself because you have no Degree,
I was offered a position as a Junior Engr after been interviewed with 55 candidates while having no degree at that time (My Boss was even making fun of how some graduates were sweating when they asked them to explain what API is). Focus on what you know how to do best as a Python developer, don't bother to deviate from your stack. There will be a day you will be the perfect candidate for a position. Once you are employed, enroll with NOW or any other Universities that offers Online Degree.
Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by EvilSec: 1:02pm On Dec 24, 2021
Don't let anyone tell you that you need a degree to get a job as a dev. If you want a degree then get one, but don't feel like you have to. You need to sell your skills to employers, a degree is just one component. certifications, published research, etc; are all valid too.
Your degree is only important to Tech companies in Nigeria that pays 20-50k per month. I can't speak for how other countries see degrees, but they are definitely not always required to work as a dev in either the UK or US.

Then again, I'll freely admit that sometimes, it is harder and requires more work to find a job without a degree, but it is not even close to impossible.

1 Like

Re: Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? by Saskay44: 7:57am On Dec 25, 2021
We don comot from industrial age your degree dont mean shit in this informational age

(1) (Reply)

Programming: An Appetising Insight For Beginners / PHP Or Javascript / Learn How To Build Modern UI With Java (desktop App)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.