Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon (1097 Views)

Water Pouring Out Of A Tree- A Strange Natural Phenomenon / How The Blackest Fish In The Sea 'Disappear' - Scientists Explain (Photos) / Mysterious Mammoth Bone Circles Could Explain How Man Survived The Last Ice Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 11:48am On Dec 28, 2021
Tiny fluorescent particles, laser light used to study water flowing through tire grooves.
When a vehicle travels over a wet or flooded road, water builds up in front of the tire and generates a lift force. In a phenomenon known as hydroplaning, this force can become large enough to lift the vehicle off the ground.

In Physics of Fluids, by AIP Publishing, scientists from the CNRS, the University of Lyon, and The Michelin Group use a laser imaging technique to study water flow in front of and through tire grooves.

To counteract hydroplaning, tread designs are chosen to drain water from the front of the tire without decreasing its ability to adhere to the road. Very few quantitative experimental studies of the movement of water through tire grooves have been done, so little is known about the exact flow patterns in these situations.

The only previously published work reporting quantitative velocity measurements in tire grooves was done with a high-speed camera and used millet seeds as water tracers. The seeds are about 1.5 millimeters in diameter, though, and provide poor contrast, so velocity information inside the grooves was not usable for a flow analysis.

Currently, research into hydroplaning uses a test track equipped with a transparent window embedded in the ground. The area above is flooded and a tire rolling over the window is observed with a high-speed camera.

The investigators developed a more sophisticated approach involving fluorescent seeding particles to visualize the flow and used a sheet of laser light to illuminate the area. The fluorescent particles were only 35 microns in diameter, about half the thickness of a human hair, with a density close to water.

“The first remarkable feature of the flow inside grooves is the presence of white elongated filaments or columns,” said author Damien Cabut. “This indicates the presence of a gaseous phase, possibly air
https://scitechdaily.com/complex-fluid-dynamics-may-explain-hydroplaning-phenomenon/

3 Likes

Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 31, 2021
Love this post

1 Like

Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Bobxin: 12:07pm On Jan 05, 2022
erico2k2:
Tiny fluorescent particles, laser light used to study water flowing through tire grooves.
When a vehicle travels over a wet or flooded road, water builds up in front of the tire and generates a lift force. In a phenomenon known as hydroplaning, this force can become large enough to lift the vehicle off the ground.

In Physics of Fluids, by AIP Publishing, scientists from the CNRS, the University of Lyon, and The Michelin Group use a laser imaging technique to study water flow in front of and through tire grooves.

To counteract hydroplaning, tread designs are chosen to drain water from the front of the tire without decreasing its ability to adhere to the road. Very few quantitative experimental studies of the movement of water through tire grooves have been done, so little is known about the exact flow patterns in these situations.

The only previously published work reporting quantitative velocity measurements in tire grooves was done with a high-speed camera and used millet seeds as water tracers. The seeds are about 1.5 millimeters in diameter, though, and provide poor contrast, so velocity information inside the grooves was not usable for a flow analysis.

Currently, research into hydroplaning uses a test track equipped with a transparent window embedded in the ground. The area above is flooded and a tire rolling over the window is observed with a high-speed camera.

The investigators developed a more sophisticated approach involving fluorescent seeding particles to visualize the flow and used a sheet of laser light to illuminate the area. The fluorescent particles were only 35 microns in diameter, about half the thickness of a human hair, with a density close to water.

“The first remarkable feature of the flow inside grooves is the presence of white elongated filaments or columns,” said author Damien Cabut. “This indicates the presence of a gaseous phase, possibly air
https://scitechdaily.com/complex-fluid-dynamics-may-explain-hydroplaning-phenomenon/
Bro. Can you get this exact oil filter from your location for me? The O' rings are orange colour.

Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Jan 06, 2022
Its £25 and Its going to take like 10 days to order it

1 Like

Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Bobxin: 7:27am On Jan 07, 2022
erico2k2:
Okay, gimme your contact, so that you can help me order it.
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 1:58pm On Jan 07, 2022
Bobxin:

Okay, gimme your contact, so that you can help me order it.
Won't be able to collect it now as I'm due 9ja in hours, if it was like last week then yeah
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Bobxin: 11:50pm On Jan 07, 2022
erico2k2:

Won't be able to collect it now as I'm due 9ja in hours, if it was like last week then yeah
I don't understand, does it mean you cannot get it for me?
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 11:58pm On Jan 07, 2022
Bobxin:

I don't understand, does it mean you cannot get it for me?
Yes cos it might take 10 days to arrive at my house but Im due to fly to Nigeria in hours
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Bobxin: 12:38am On Jan 08, 2022
erico2k2:

Yes cos it might take 10 days to arrive at my house but Im due to fly to Nigeria in hours
How can I get it?
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 8:41am On Jan 08, 2022
Bobxin:

How can I get it?
buy from Amazon or Ebay
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Bobxin: 11:31pm On Jun 28, 2022
erico2k2:

buy from Amazon or Ebay

Hello sir, I want to discharge and fill my car with only Toyota coolant without adding water. Is it okay to fill only coolant in the radiator and reserve?
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 8:39pm On Jun 29, 2022
Bobxin:

Hello sir, I want to discharge and fill my car with only Toyota coolant without adding water. Is it okay to fill only coolant in the radiator and reserve?
Depends on what the tin says.some are ready mix while some you got to mox so read the instruction in the can plz.
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Bobxin: 10:16am On Jul 06, 2022
erico2k2:

Depends on what the tin says.some are ready mix while some you got to mox so read the instruction in the can plz.

Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 3:51pm On Jul 09, 2022
[quote author=Bobxin post=114470161][/quote]
Have you read the instruction?
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Bobxin: 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2022
erico2k2:

Have you read the instruction?

Yes, after examining the one in the car, mechanics advised that there's nothing wrong with it, and I shouldn't change it.
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 7:08pm On Jul 12, 2022
Bobxin:

Yes, after examining the one in the car, mechanics advised that there's nothing wrong with it, and I shouldn't change it.
What the ratio of the one in the car do U know?
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Searchingvictor: 9:03pm On Oct 22, 2023
erico2k2:

Good evening boss, happy Sunday and was your day? Pardon me for this.
Please can you assist me #4000 to use till next week that salary will role in? Help please
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 9:06pm On Oct 22, 2023
Searchingvictor:

Good evening boss, happy Sunday and was your day? Pardon me for this.
Please can you assist me #4000 to use till next week that salary will role in? Help please
4000 what?
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Searchingvictor: 9:07pm On Oct 22, 2023
[quote author=erico2k2 post=126557920]
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 9:08pm On Oct 22, 2023
Searchingvictor:

#4000 naira Sir
I live abroad so can't do 4k sir
Besides I dnt borrow people money
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by Searchingvictor: 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2023
[quote author=erico2k2 p
Re: Complex Fluid Dynamics May Explain Hydroplaning Phenomenon by erico2k2(m): 10:49pm On Oct 22, 2023
Searchingvictor:

Alright Boss. Not with the mind to borrow though. I'm just soliciting for help.
Noted but like I said I don't live in 9ja.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

New Laptops At 50% Less Than Market Value!no Joke No Scam. / Brand New Multilinks Internet Moderm For Sale At Cheaper Rate(08029957978) / Have You Ever Seen A Snake With 2 Heads? (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.