Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,536 members, 7,827,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

I Need Help Installing Linux - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need Help Installing Linux (604 Views)

Price Of Installing Windows 7 At A Computer Shop / I Need Help Installing Django On My Windows Pc..please Anyone Help / Help Installing Andriod Sdk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help Installing Linux by Jay77: 12:41am On Feb 09, 2022
Help!!!

Tried installing Ubuntu on my Dell running on windows 11 but it's not showing.
Can anyone help me.

Location ikeja, lagos
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by qtguru(m): 1:17am On Feb 09, 2022
Jay77:
Help!!!

Can anyone help me.

Location ikeja, lagos

WHat is the issue, do you still have the USB ?
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by qtguru(m): 1:18am On Feb 09, 2022
Are you booting in Windows still ?
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by Jay77: 1:36am On Feb 09, 2022
qtguru:

WHat is the issue, do you still have the USB ?

Yes. After installation, I restated the system hoping to see grub page..but nothing. Checked my BIOS nothing.
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by qtguru(m): 1:40am On Feb 09, 2022
Jay77:

Yes. After installation, I restated the system hoping to see grub page..but nothing. Checked my BIOS nothing.

Boot into live USB again connect to the Internet and download boot repair, or from Bios check if you are not using legacy boot also. Let me know
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by qtguru(m): 1:41am On Feb 09, 2022
If you can do Google Meet that also works for me too
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by Jay77: 2:13am On Feb 09, 2022
qtguru:

Boot into live USB again connect to the Internet and download boot repair, or from Bios check if you are not using legacy boot also. Let me know

Thanks .. I was booting with UEFI ... Just switched to legacy and it popped up
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by qtguru(m): 3:03am On Feb 09, 2022
Jay77:

Thanks .. I was booting with UEFI ... Just switched to legacy and it popped up

Yeah I even meant the reverse, glad it works
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by 99thEnemy(m): 4:01am On Feb 09, 2022
Watching... cool
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by Maxxim: 6:12am On Feb 09, 2022
qtguru:
If you can do Google Meet that also works for me too
Please baba, do you have a video tutorial or any other walk through on how to install Linux on windows, I mean on windows 8, will really appreciate.
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by valzey(m): 8:48am On Feb 09, 2022
You can't install Linux on windows except through WSL for which you need an SSD or you'll hate the experience. What op did was dual booting Linux alongside windows on his machine which is basic. An alternative for more powerful PCs is to use virtual machines.

When trying to dualboot, you should find out if your PC uses GPT partitioning or MBR. Generally GPT uses UEFI and MBR uses legacy BIOS. I always prefer UEFI/GPT.

Then download the OS image from their website, take note of the CPU type and number of bits before downloading. Then download a tool called Rufus to prepare your flash drive to be a bootable drive.

Boot using your flash, how it's done differs from laptop to laptop so you should lookup how to do that on your laptop. Then follow the prompts from the OS installer.

Note: it can be risky if you don't pay attention to details.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by airsaylongcome: 10:29am On Feb 09, 2022
U can Virtualise Linux in Windows though innit? Virtualbox or VMWare
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by Maxxim: 7:35pm On Feb 09, 2022
valzey:
You can't install Linux on windows except through WSL for which you need an SSD or you'll hate the experience. What op did was dual booting Linux alongside windows on his machine which is basic. An alternative for more powerful PCs is to use virtual machines.

When trying to dualboot, you should find out if your PC uses GPT partitioning or MBR. Generally GPT uses UEFI and MBR uses legacy BIOS. I always prefer UEFI/GPT.

Then download the OS image from their website, take note of the CPU type and number of bits before downloading. Then download a tool called Rufus to prepare your flash drive to be a bootable drive.

Boot using your flash, how it's done differs from laptop to laptop so you should lookup how to do that on your laptop. Then follow the prompts from the OS installer.

Note: it can be risky if you don't pay attention to details.
Will work on this
Thanks
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by linesng: 9:05pm On Feb 11, 2022
Jay77:
Help!!!

Can anyone help me.

Location ikeja, lagos

If install properly on boot select your key button for boot option and select Ubuntu or go the virtualization style
Re: I Need Help Installing Linux by Schoolshooter: 6:32pm On Jan 02
Install Gentoo

(1) (Reply)

Can Chatgpt Replace Software Developers? / I Can't Code Off My Head. I'm I The Only One / Foreign Site That Creates Standard Sites.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.