Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,425 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

What Is Cloud Computing? A Beginner's Guide - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is Cloud Computing? A Beginner's Guide (307 Views)

Green Computing: A Panacea For Environmental Degredation. / Green Computing: A Panacea For Environmental Degredation / Which Chemistry And Biology Textbooks Are Good For A Beginner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Cloud Computing? A Beginner's Guide by nathanmartin(m): 5:04pm On Mar 24, 2022
Cloud computing is a catch-all phrase encompassing three service models: software-as-a-service (SaaS), infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS), and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) (PaaS).

Although each service type has unique characteristics and financial benefits, they are all similar in one fundamental way, and this is how I perceive Cloud Computing: it is ultimately a service that allows access to computing power, storage, or software applications rather than owning them. Another way to look at it is as a service that allows you to rent instead of buy (sometimes even for free!).

Software-as-a-Service (Software-as-a-Service)
This phrase refers to online apps that we access by surfing in a web browser (such as Internet Explorer / Google Chrome / Firefox) and is perhaps the easiest term to understand as it applies to our day-to-day use as consumers. Gmail is a clear example, as it offers access to Email services without the requirement for a physical backbone such as servers, programs, or client installations.

Consider the following example to better understand the benefits of using a cloud Email service over a physical one: If you've ever worked in a business, you've most likely used Microsoft Outlook for your email needs. Your organization had a server-client deployment, in which it owned and controlled one or more physical servers that hosted Microsoft Exchange Server, storage space, and software applications. In order to access your personal email account on the company's server, you also needed to install an Outlook client on your home computer.

Gmail (or any other online Email service) requires only an Internet connection and a web browser to access your email because the whole physical and software infrastructure (servers, storage, and software applications) is owned and operated by the provider, in our case - Google.

As a result, when you use a Software-as-a-Service solution, you eliminate the headache of owning physical hardware, software programs, and maintenance — all you need is an Internet connection and a web browser.

Another example is Google Docs, which allows you to "rent" (for free) access to office programs through a web browser rather than purchasing a copy of Word/Excel/PowerPoint.

To learn more about "How to get started with Data Science", watch this Cloud Computing Course Video on Youtube.

Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/gIWel4gFZaY

Re: What Is Cloud Computing? A Beginner's Guide by HassieMalcomson(f): 11:37am On Feb 12, 2023
This thread is detailed. Honestly, I am looking to understand these cloud computing models and their deployments. Though I have some experience of using BaaS platforms but nowadays, I am willing to learn how to deploy applications on PaaS platforms. Can you provide any video content or YouTube channel that teaches how to utilize PaaS platforms?

Secondly, as an expert, do you think these https://blog.back4app.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-paas/ are actual pros and cons that beginners face while using a PaaS platform? Also, what platform you will recommend for novices? Likewise, Heroku looks very good because of its easy interface. Do you think I should prefer Heroku? Or I should go with AWS because of its physical data centres all around the globe?

Share your thoughts.

(1) (Reply)

•• Take A COURSE In UI/UX Design / Tourism Textbook / Do These 3 Simple Things And Score Over 300 In Jamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.