Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,725 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? (893 Views)

What Experiences Strengthened Your Faith In God? / Share Your Experiences, Steps And Tools For Attaining Holiness / Jesus Is The Only Way: My Personal Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by FrauleinBlossom(f): 2:43pm On Jun 28, 2022
Hypnopompic or hypnagogic hallucinations as it is termed, usually occur during sleep state, either at the point of sleeping or at the point of waking up.When you experience these hallucinations, you see, hear, or feel things that aren't actually there.

In my case, I experience mine at the point of waking up, usually at the wee hours of the night. Mine is usually auditory.

I start hearing sounds, noises, voices all sorts of things, they sound very real like car horn blaring loudly, people chatting/discussing, radio transmissions, television noises, airplane, the normal hustle and bustle sounds from everyday life. I am very conscious of myself when I'm in that state, it's not like a dream at all.. but As soon as I open my eyes, I am back to the silence of my room, I close them, I immediately return to the noises, sometimes I hear people discussing in a foreign language, sometimes in a language that I understand but can't really make anything of what they are talking about, sometimes there's a baby crying somewhere, or a voice from the radio delivering the latest news... I snap in and out of this state momentarily at will just by opening and closing my eyes, until I decide I've heard enough and consciously will myself to fall asleep again.
I also usually have another type of experience where my consciousness wakes up before my body, No! I don't see demons or anybody trying to choke me to death... I just wake up, aware that my body is still asleep... and in that state, sometimes I hear cricket sounds, water splashing, and other kinds of noises that I can't explain, and my eyes are open but I don't see my room, I see twilight, almost darkness, to get out of that state, what I do is to try to move any part of my body.. as soon as I do that , my body awakes in 'real' life, I don't need to shout 'Jesus'. In all these experiences, i feel more of curiosity than fear. in one of those occasions where my consciousness woke up before my body,I felt my spirit/soul levitating upwards out of my body accompanied with this loud screeching sound in my head.. Fear gripped me and I immediately aborted the mission.. and soon after, I willed myself to sleep again.

Has anyone or does anyone have similar experiences like mine? Care to share?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by Kosoco(m): 2:45pm On Jun 28, 2022
You are having a Psychiatric problem... seek help early....

1 Like

Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by incandescentena: 2:45pm On Jun 28, 2022
Yea, its spelt Hypnopompic

sort of like Sleep paralysis. Is a feeling of being conscious but unable to
move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and
sleep.
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by justlove91(m): 8:23pm On Jun 28, 2022
FrauleinBlossom:
Hypnopompic or hypnagogic hallucinations as it is termed, usually occur during sleep state, either at the point of sleeping or at the point of waking up.When you experience these hallucinations, you see, hear, or feel things that aren't actually there.

In my case, I experience mine at the point of waking up, usually at the wee hours of the night. Mine is usually auditory.

I start hearing sounds, noises, voices all sorts of things, they sound very real like car horn blaring loudly, people chatting/discussing, radio transmissions, television noises, airplane, the normal hustle and bustle sounds from everyday life. I am very conscious of myself when I'm in that state, it's not like a dream at all.. but As soon as I open my eyes, I am back to the silence of my room, I close them, I immediately return to the noises, sometimes I hear people discussing in a foreign language, sometimes in a language that I understand but can't really make anything of what they are talking about, sometimes there's a baby crying somewhere, or a voice from the radio delivering the latest news... I snap in and out of this state momentarily at will just by opening and closing my eyes, until I decide I've heard enough and consciously will myself to fall asleep again.
I also usually have another type of experience where my consciousness wakes up before my body, No! I don't see demons or anybody trying to choke me to death... I just wake up, aware that my body is still asleep... and in that state, sometimes I hear cricket sounds, water splashing, and other kinds of noises that I can't explain, and my eyes are open but I don't see my room, I see twilight, almost darkness, to get out of that state, what I do is to try to move any part of my body.. as soon as I do that , my body awakes in 'real' life, I don't need to shout 'Jesus'. In all these experiences, i feel more of curiosity than fear. in one of those occasions where my consciousness woke up before my body,I felt my spirit/soul levitating upwards out of my body accompanied with this loud screeching sound in my head.. Fear gripped me and I immediately aborted the mission.. and soon after, I willed myself to sleep again.

I not only have this experience but can induce it voluntarily. It's good you're not afraid in that state, do you know you can easily enter a lucid dream through that state? Next time you're in that state, imagine you're not on your bed but somewhere else, try to really imagine and feel yourself somewhere else and you will find yourself there.
You should learn to consciously induce lucid dream, I think you will quickly master it.
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by peggywebbs(f): 8:37pm On Jun 28, 2022
Yes it's normal. It's like a partial dream state but it feels quite real.

FrauleinBlossom:

Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by Kobojunkie: 8:42pm On Jun 28, 2022
FrauleinBlossom:
I struggled with a sleep disorder brought on by neurological disorder and did experience for a long time these Hallucinations that caused me to doubt my own sanity. My question to you is why are you here asking religious folks of this instead of checking in with your doctor(s) about your experiencing these symptoms still?? undecided

Are you somehow seeking someone to delude you with lies of the "spiritual" kind of something?? undecided
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2022
peggywebbs:
Yes it's normal. It's like a partial dream state but it feels quite real.
Bullsheet... there is nothing normal about your mind being "conscious" when you are actually supposed to be asleep.. undecided

There is nothing like a "partial" dream state. Normal is your enter body is paralyzed and focused on the dreaming or, you are awake and conscious of it. A disorder occurs when your own mind is confused about whether you are in dreaming state or or conscious state. Many folks die that way. undecided
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by AntiChristian: 8:59pm On Jun 28, 2022
You're not alright! See a doctor!

1 Like

Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by peggywebbs(f): 6:55am On Jun 29, 2022
What is your problem? Must you pick an argument with everything? I only gave my opinion, you can answer his question if you have something to say.

Kobojunkie:
Bullsheet... there is nothing normal about your mind being "conscious" when you are actually supposed to be asleep.. undecided

There is nothing like a "partial" dream state. Normal is your enter body is paralyzed and focused on the dreaming or, you are awake and conscious of it. A disorder occurs when your own mind is confused about whether you are in dreaming state or or conscious state. Many folks die that way. undecided
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by Kobojunkie: 11:43am On Jun 29, 2022
peggywebbs:
What is your problem? Must you pick an argument with everything? I only gave my opinion, you can answer his question if you have something to say.
Hypnagogic hallucination is symptom of possible mental or neurological problems. Telling someone who is sick that there is nothing wrong is deceit. undecided
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by PastorAIO: 4:04pm On Jun 29, 2022
Why are people saying this is a disorder? This is a normal thing. Africans are funny. In their ignorance they can even stone you to death if you tell them of this your experience.

If we don’t understand something it is better to admit we don’t understand than to make up nonsense. That is how they will start medicating people for something normal until that person actually becomes mad.
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by PastorAIO: 4:04pm On Jun 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Hypnagogic hallucination is symptom of possible mental or neurological problems. Telling someone who is sick that there is nothing wrong is deceit. undecided

In what medical journal did you read that?
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by kkins25(m): 4:10pm On Jun 29, 2022
sleep paralysis often comes with dreams. Some people can control the events of their dreams-hence, Astral projections.

I tried it sometime ego when billionaire was still active..

thrilling experience!!!
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by FrauleinBlossom(f): 7:13pm On Jun 29, 2022
justlove91:

I not only have this experience but can induce it voluntarily. It's good you're not afraid in that state, do you know you can easily enter a lucid dream through that state? Next time you're in that state, imagine you're not on your bed but somewhere else, try to really imagine and feel yourself somewhere else and you will find yourself there.
You should learn to consciously induce lucid dream, I think you will quickly master it.

Imagine I'm somewhere else like where? What places do you usually find yourself in from your own experiences?

Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by FrauleinBlossom(f): 7:17pm On Jun 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I struggled with a sleep disorder brought on by neurological disorder and did experience for a long time these Hallucinations that caused me to doubt my own sanity. My question to you is why are you here asking religious folks of this instead of checking in with your doctor(s) about your experiencing these symptoms still?? undecided

Are you somehow seeking someone to delude you with lies of the "spiritual" kind of something?? undecided

We both know this is beyond medical... the best medicine does, is to give what it doesn't understand a name.. like in this case 'hypnopompic hallucinations'..
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by FrauleinBlossom(f): 7:18pm On Jun 29, 2022
PastorAIO:
Why are people saying this is a disorder? This is a normal thing. Africans are funny. In their ignorance they can even stone you to death if you tell them of this your experience.

If we don’t understand something it is better to admit we don’t understand than to make up nonsense. That is how they will start medicating people for something normal until that person actually becomes mad.

I tire ooo
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by justlove91(m): 7:42pm On Jun 29, 2022
FrauleinBlossom:

Imagine I'm somewhere else like where? What places do you usually find yourself in from your own experiences?
Like anywhere you can imagine nah, the idea is to take your mind off the fact that you're lying in bed. You can imagine yourself standing in front of a mirror, see your reflection, feel how smooth its surface is etc or you can instead imagine youself running on a field etc just imagine youself elsewhere and you will be there literally, you wouldn't feel yourself lying on the bed but actually physically where you imagine. You may initially feel yourself lying on bed and standing elsewhere at the same time but if you continue to concentrate on the elsewhere, you will be there fully
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by Kobojunkie: 8:05pm On Jun 29, 2022
FrauleinBlossom:
I tire ooo
Again, this is not normal since normal suggests it happens to any and everyone. undecided
Sometimes, hypnagogic hallucinations happen along with a state of sleep paralysis. In sleep paralysis, the muscles in your body will be immobile, and you won’t be able to move. The combination of immobility and hallucinations can be frightening. It can last for up to several minutes before your muscles return to normal.

People who have a sleep disorder called narcolepsy are more likely to have hypnagogic hallucinations. Narcolepsy causes you to sleep excessively and feel very tired all of the time. If you think you have narcolepsy, talk to your doctor about your symptomshttps://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/what-are-hypnagogic-hallucinations
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by FrauleinBlossom(f): 8:15pm On Jun 29, 2022
justlove91:

Like anywhere you can imagine nah, the idea is to take your mind off the fact that you're lying in bed. You can imagine yourself standing in front of a mirror, see your reflection, feel how smooth its surface is etc or you can instead imagine youself running on a field etc just imagine youself elsewhere and you will be there literally, you wouldn't feel yourself lying on the bed but actually physically where you imagine. You may initially feel yourself lying on bed and standing elsewhere at the same time but if you continue to concentrate on the elsewhere, you will be there fully

Okay, I got that �
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by justlove91(m): 8:15pm On Jun 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Again, this is not normal since normal suggests it happens to any and everyone. undecided
That it's not normal doesn't mean it is dangerous or harmful. It's not normal for a human to be able to move his/her ear but some can and it's harmless.
Likewise, it's not "normal" to know that you're dreaming when you're dreaming but it's harmless if you're.
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by justlove91(m): 8:18pm On Jun 29, 2022
FrauleinBlossom:

Okay, I got that �
How often do you have this experience? And I would like to know when you eventually are able to turn it to lucid dream.
Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by triplechoice(m): 9:56pm On Jun 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:

Not true what you have concluded. The link you shared is saying a different thing

Re: Who Else Experiences Hypnagogic Hallucinations?? by talktokayoo(m): 8:54am On Mar 16
I experience this Hypnopompic or hypnagogic hallucinations. And I have come to understand that it is a rare gift that God gives to people. If you build up yourself in the gift you can begin to experience an enhanced or elevated spiritual experiences that will transform your life.

If you want to know more. You can chat me up I will enlighten. Do not let people who don't it talk you out of it. It is a real thing and perfectly normal for gifted people

FrauleinBlossom:

(1) (Reply)

10 Bible Verses Muslims Take Out Of Context / Ants Do Not Have A Leader, Officer Or Ruler - Proverbs / Why Did God Bring Me To This World To Suffer, What Is The Essence Of Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.