Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Why Is Ogun The Gateway State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Ogun The Gateway State (6981 Views)

Presidential Election Results In Ogun - The Nation / Is Ogun State Becoming The Kidnap Capital Of The South West? / Is Ogun State Jinxed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by olawalebabs(m): 9:34pm On Jul 25, 2011
Please can anyone explain to me the appelation of Ogun state as the "gateway state"? To me there is nothing spectacular in its geographical location location to warrant that.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by seanet02: 9:54pm On Jul 25, 2011
Why is Edo state called heart beat of the nation? Not worth it. Ogun state is being called the Gateway state because it has the most important route to and from other West African state.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Afam4eva(m): 10:10pm On Jul 25, 2011
@seanet
Keep fooling youself. If any state should be called "gateway state", then it should be Lagos.Most states are not a reflection of their moniker.Except few states like Enugu, Benue etc.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by kasiem(m): 10:21pm On Jul 25, 2011
Ogun is called gateway becos their roads give u easy passage to early grave.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by 2mch(m): 10:23pm On Jul 25, 2011
Because you have to go through Ogun to access other parts of the country by road via Lagos
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by AndreUweh(m): 10:27pm On Jul 25, 2011
Ogun state is a gate way to Lagos state. What a lovely state.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Afam4eva(m): 10:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
@2much
It depends on where u're coming from.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by AndreUweh(m): 10:39pm On Jul 25, 2011
afam4eva:

@2much
It depends on where u're coming from.
No matter where you are coming from in Nigeria, you must pass through Ogun state. Unless one wants to travel via the atlantic ocean.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Afam4eva(m): 10:43pm On Jul 25, 2011
@ Andre
That's if you're going to lagos. Anyway it's an achievement to be the gateway to lagos.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by 2mch(m): 10:48pm On Jul 25, 2011
afam4eva:

@ Andre
That's if you're going to lagos. Anyway it's an achievement to be the gateway to lagos.

It was called that because at the time only MMIA was the functioning international airport. So yes, once you land in Lagos, to access everywhere else by road you must pass through Ogun state.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by AndreUweh(m): 10:49pm On Jul 25, 2011
As there is no way you can go to Lesotho without passing through South Africa, so can you go to Lagos without going through Ogun state.
The two states should even be merged to form one state.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Afam4eva(m): 11:10pm On Jul 25, 2011
We're talking being a gateway to the country and not just Lagos. How can Ogun be the gateway to a copmpeting brand. It's pepsi's slogan being "We'll give you the cocacola experience".
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by aljharem(m): 11:38pm On Jul 25, 2011
afam4eva:

We're talking being a gateway to the country and not just Lagos. How can Ogun be the gateway to a copmpeting brand. It's pepsi's slogan being "We'll give you the cocacola experience".

but lagos is the country

london is england

new york is america

countou (another yorubas speaking city) is benin wink wink wink

etc
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Desola(f): 11:42pm On Jul 25, 2011
olawalebab:

Please can anyone explain to me the appelation of Ogun state as the "gateway state"? To me there is nothing spectacular in its geographical location location to warrant that.

. . .and why does aboki want to know? I hear that your brothers are now thinking of using Yorusas to bring bomb into Lagos.

Go carry out your research elsewhere!
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Sicherheit(m): 3:31am On Jul 26, 2011
As long as it is the Yorusas they want to use, then we have nothing to fear. undecided
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by ak47mann(m): 4:09am On Jul 26, 2011
kasiem:

Ogun is called gateway becos their roads give u easy passage to early grave.
grin grin grin Yoruba people do they still have hope??
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by osajojo(m): 5:17am On Jul 26, 2011
When ogun named themselves the gateway state they were very short sited. They never envisaged that there would be more airports than mmia. Besides that anyway I don't think there's any name that suits them, maybe " the state of wicked politics"
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Nobody: 5:22am On Jul 26, 2011
By land, Ogun connects nigeria to Western West African states,
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Sike(m): 5:40am On Jul 26, 2011
All said and done! Ogun is the Way.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by UpDates1(m): 5:52am On Jul 26, 2011
Desola:

. . .and why does aboki want to know? I hear that your brothers are now thinking of using Yorusas to bring bomb into Lagos.

Go carry out your research elsewhere!
lol
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by dramenda(f): 5:52am On Jul 26, 2011
STUPID QUESTION. angry
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by olawalebabs(m): 5:56am On Jul 26, 2011
I still have not gotten it. There are many route to other west african state than ogun state, so that's not point enough another please and the issue of mmia that one is too so sighted.
dramenda:

silly QUESTION. angry
either you contribute or you keep quite. No space for insult. Desola, there is no crime if we share different opinion now there is always room for agreement, that insult is not warranted.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Desola(f): 6:16am On Jul 26, 2011
olawalebab:

I still have not gotten it. There are many route to other west african state than ogun state, so that's not point enough another please and the issue of mmia that one is too so sighted. either you contribute or you keep quite. No space for insult. Desola, there is no crime if we share different opinion now there is always room for agreement, that insult is not warranted.

How have I insulted you? Given the spate of attacks by the Boko Haramites, you don't think we Yorubas should we weary of the enemies that look and talk like us? More so when they are asking about the access to a strategic state in our land?

As for me, I'm weary of the enemies within. I have come to the realisation that the Yorusas are even more dangerous to the Yorubas than the Hausas. So any dangerous question from a Yorusa veiled to be harmless shall be exposed!

Like Yorubas would say: Kokoro ti n j'egba, ara igba lo wa. Biku ile o pa ni, tode o le pa ni.

And for you 'Yorusa' I'd say: Epa n para e, o loun n paja.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by tpia5: 6:45am On Jul 26, 2011
What's yorusa.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Desola(f): 6:51am On Jul 26, 2011
tpia@:

What's yorusa.

Those who are neither Yorubas nor Hausas. In other wors, they are known as 'Kwarans' or 'Kogites'
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by olawalebabs(m): 7:00am On Jul 26, 2011
Desola where are you from?
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Desola(f): 7:05am On Jul 26, 2011
From Port Novo.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by aljharem(m): 7:05am On Jul 26, 2011
Desola:

Those who are neither Yorubas nor Hausas. In other wors, they are known as 'Kwarans' or 'Kogites'

hey desola what is wrong with you. are there no yorubas in delat state called itsekiris why pick northern yorubas

wetin dey do u sef angry why discriminate against them angry u dey craze

anyhow sha, make i no vex for u sweety but behave urself o wink
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by olawalebabs(m): 7:14am On Jul 26, 2011
Imagine this insult, an egun from from port novo claiming to be more yoruba than a yoruba from kwara simply because i said am from the northern part of the country.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Desola(f): 7:20am On Jul 26, 2011
olawalebab:

Imagine this insult, an egun from from port novo claiming to be more yoruba than a yoruba from kwara simply because i said am from the northern part of the country.

Ko ra e da soun jo! They are more Yoruba than you, Yorusas! They might be in another country but declare their Oyo heritage and don't have a fake alliance with their enemies!

You people eat from the same plate as the abokis and even breed with them! Shameless lot!
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 26, 2011
olawalebab:

Egun people are more original than us Yorubas in Nigeria you know? Yoruba isn't even our name lol!!

That is why many people accepts Odua republic and not Yoruba nation.  A king from Togo visiting Ooni of Ife said and I quote " We are not Yoruba and we choose not to identify with the name but with the people",
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 26, 2011
I heard that they Yorubas in Benin are the legit (whatever that means) Yorubas because they've been there for ages. Is that true?

Desola:

From Port Novo.

Where's Port Novo?

NWM, Just checked online. So you're from Benin? That is soooooooooooo awesome!!

I would never have guessed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHCN Has Not Been Sold to Private Companies; Now 18 Companies Run By FG / Nlc Rejects Fg's 600 Mass Transit Buses / MUST READ!!!! "Hon" Femi Gbaja-biamila: Another Crook In The House Of Reps?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.