Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Java Programming - To Learn - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Programming - To Learn (1555 Views)

Which Is The Best Programming To Learn / Is Java Programming Harder Than Microsoft.net Programming / Java Programming For Dummies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Programming - To Learn by rhymax(m): 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
please am trying to learn java and was wondering if anybody had any advice on the best e-book to use for this that is simplified and covers most that is required, as some books only cover the simple concepts and give too simple exercises.i knw thinking in java but its a lil too overdetailed and boring.
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Fayimora(m): 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2011
[size=15pt]For a beginner, go read the following books in the order in which they are listed,

1 ==> Java in easy steps (You learn the very basics of java, procedural programming.)
2 ==> Starting out with java(You learn the basics of java again but with more complicated examples and exercises. You also learn basics of OOP and GUI)
3 ==> BIG Java(You revise the basics again but this time fully OOP, no more procedural programming. You also tackle big OOP related problems. Then you move into more advanced concepts(Algorithms and data structures))

When you are done with these 3 books and fully understand everything, then your almost an intermediate java programmer. The next thing is to try and develop softwares(for pleasure but with time frames). That would determine if you fully understood what you have been reading or not. Make sure you practice a LOT as thats they key. The more loops you write the faster you get at writing them.

At first syntax might pose a problem and you would spend time trying to learn the syntax. I would advise you try not to do that, you should be learning how to program and not Java. The syntax flows with you on its own. Don't spend more than 1hr a day learning syntax. Also its either you understand it or not, theres no cramming in programming cheesy Its best to understand it so that when you get a similar but much difficult problem, you can apply your previous knowledge.

When you solve problems, you would get tempted to just come asking immediately, dnt. Solve it!. Lol yes I know you are outta ideas but the truth is that you have the answer within. You should only ask when you are tired of trying(crying point).

Goodluck!!!
cheesy[/size]
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Charleebro(m): 5:57pm On Jul 29, 2011
Fayimora,do you have those books?pls if u do,send them to me, talk2charles4sure@yahoo.com, yeah i know u said u didnt want to send to emails but Iv been waiting on that link to no avail yet.
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Dolemite(f): 9:21pm On Jul 29, 2011
Download head first java

Fayimora:

When you solve problems, you would get tempted to just come asking immediately, dnt. Solve it!. Lol yes I know you are outta ideas but the truth is that you have the answer within. You should only ask when you are tired of trying(crying point).
And thats wrong, support forums exist to help people out, I can program in Java today thanks to forums like these, in programming when you get stuck seek help!
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 29, 2011
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Fayimora(m): 9:49pm On Jul 29, 2011
[size=16pt]Well, well look who we have here. Ok you know how to program in java now innit? Good but hey mind what you say. Anyways ain't gat time to argue with ya so all am gonna say is, don't say am wrong just say you have another idea. No disrespect but I know only a few here that can say am wrong. Not that am always right but when it comes to a forum like this, I think am 80% always right.

I have seen a lot of people like you(the "i tried to make a loop run twice and because it was futile i went on to ask on a forum" kinda people). Listen it totally unreasonable. A programmer that isin't strong analytically? He/She is Crap. If you cant discipline yourself enough to solve your problem without looking at someone's code or something, then you really shouldn't call yourself a programmer in public.

Am just gonna end with what i said to you a while back. Its one thing to write code and its another to program. Its also one thing to program and another to program effectively
[/size]
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Fayimora(m): 9:54pm On Jul 29, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Before forums existed, folks have been programming. Every programming methodology, language, techniques, or technologies that I know today, I learned from reading and practicing. When I was in Nigeria, I had no access to the Internet and no one around my vicinity was conversant with programming. I taught myself C/C++/Java/C#/Python with great PAIN, effort, sleepless nights, insane hours of frustrations, hunger strikes, motivation, stubbornness, and passion. The word 'taught' in this context is grossly inappropriate since I still consider it as an ongoing process. I do agree that forums have their place, so does school, especially if you are interested in research, but from analyzing the numerous posts on this section, one can easily see that lots of programmers are lazy! Why put in the time when some GURU in a forum can help them out. You can never become a guru by completely relying on forums. Go to stackoverflow and look at the ratio of answers to questions of the top participants. Most of them have less than five questions, but they have hundreds of answers. That tells you something. A programmer needs to learn to sweat it out.

[size=17pt]Tanks for that man

Also if you are a beginner in Java and by beginner i mean you have no knowledge. DO NOT. . . I repeat DO NOT touch "Head first java". Its a bloody waste of time. THe only time you should take up that book is when you have started understanding the concept of OOP. That book is completely OOP which is no good for a real beginner. I read that book only for fun. When am underground or in a bus, just take out ma ipad and read stuffs. Be warned!
[/size]
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by amor4ce(m): 1:21am On Jul 30, 2011
Introduction to Programming Using Java, Sixth Edition

Version 6.0, June 2011

http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/index.html

You can download the website or the pdf (about 751 pages)
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by rhymax(m): 12:46pm On Jul 30, 2011
thanks everyone, but is java rily for very smart people cos i dnt rily consider myself dat smart, and i kinda understood everything i read in one book until i got to "constructors", was almost tempted to go into networking instead since it seemed less complex dan java
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Fayimora(m): 1:00pm On Jul 30, 2011
[size=17pt]Loool well you got to the fun part of programming and got scared. OOP can be difficult if you make it look that way. You can look at objects as a people and the methods each holds as its super powers. You can look at constructors as a way to enlist someone for a task. So say you have a job to do, then you pick someone(call a constructor) suitable for the task.

Would have loved to explain further but if you really are a beginner then why are you already in the OOP aspect?[/size]
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Fayimora(m): 8:39pm On Jul 30, 2011
Charleebro:

Fayimora,do you have those books?pls if u do,send them to me, talk2charles4sure@yahoo.com, yeah i know u said u didnt want to send to emails but Iv been waiting on that link to no avail yet.
[size=15pt]
You ddnt disturb me for it so dnt remember. Told ya i forget petty thing like that, next time make sure you disturb moi and i would give ya,  Anyways the book has been up for more than a month now, Here you go http:// webprojects.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/fbfb3/Java,%20How%20To%20Program,%202004.pdf
Remove the space after http://. I dnt want spammers to bring down ma account with trash
[/size]
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by BinaryMonk: 9:16pm On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by adamricky: 6:44am On Aug 01, 2011
The main question is whether you've done any programming in the past since that may be the main effort. I would suspect that if you had not, you could get by but not necessarily do well. You indicate that you didn't have any programming experience, so this is where you are going to have most problems and spend most of your time. Java would not necessarily be faster or slower to learn than other similar languages.

Sun's Java tutorials are great, but unfortunately programming is one of the things where practice is necessary, and that depends on your free time. It's also necessary to stop and practice frequently rather than after reading half a book. If you devoted 10 weeks full time to it - yes, it's quite doable for some people. After all, college students become passable developers in one academic year where they take other unrelated courses.

I would focus on figuring out Java fully first without trying for J2ME. Then you can make the switch.

In addition, realize that there's a big difference between the language and the standard library. The important thing is to learn the language. There are certain standard library calls that everyone uses and are critical to learn, but they're not part of the language. However, you'll never really know the entire library (Though you'll learn from exprience). It's more important to learn how to find the functionality that you're looking for then to know exactly what it is or where to find it. The important thing is to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Also, realize that you may only be a passable developer at the end. Experience takes time and often can't be hastened.

In addition, even if you learn to program you will miss some of the critical general CS knowledge like data structures and algorithms. Programming books rarely teach that, you will have to learn that yourself (see, for example, the TopCoder tutorials).
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Dolemite(f): 12:43pm On Aug 01, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Before forums existed, folks have been programming. Every programming methodology, language, techniques, or technologies that I know today, I learned from reading and practicing. When I was in Nigeria, I had no access to the Internet and no one around my vicinity was conversant with programming. I taught myself C/C++/Java/C#/Python with great PAIN, effort, sleepless nights, insane hours of frustrations, hunger strikes, motivation, stubbornness, and passion. The word 'taught' in this context is grossly inappropriate since I still consider it as an ongoing process. I do agree that forums have their place, so does school, especially if you are interested in research, but from analyzing the numerous posts on this section, one can easily see that lots of programmers are lazy! Why put in the time when some GURU in a forum can help them out. You can never become a guru by completely relying on forums. Go to stackoverflow and look at the ratio of answers to questions of the top participants. Most of them have less than five questions, but they have hundreds of answers. That tells you something. A programmer needs to learn to sweat it out.
If it took you 2 years to learn all that, with help found only you could have done ot in two weeks, that's all I'm saying.

Fayimora:

[size=16pt]Well, well look who we have here. Ok you know how to program in java now innit? Good but hey mind what you say. Anyways ain't gat time to argue with ya so all am gonna say is, don't say am wrong just say you have another idea. No disrespect but I know only a few here that can say am wrong. Not that am always right but when it comes to a forum like this, I think am 80% always right.

I have seen a lot of people like you(the "i tried to make a loop run twice and because it was futile i went on to ask on a forum" kinda people). Listen it totally unreasonable. A programmer that isin't strong analytically? He/She is Crap. If you cant discipline yourself enough to solve your problem without looking at someone's code or something, then you really shouldn't call yourself a programmer in public.

Am just gonna end with what i said to you a while back. Its one thing to write code and its another to program. Its also one thing to program and another to program effectively
[/size]

Lol, okie Bill Gates, sorry I bruised your HUGE ego, I bow in your all knowing presence, Mr programmer. grin
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Fayimora(m): 2:36pm On Aug 01, 2011
[size=15pt]2 bloody weeks Damn face reality pleasee. You syin I gat some Ego? Hmmm ok I would really love to prove my point so if you know someone that has used ur means, please send them over here let me prove my point, yourself inclusive[/size]
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 01, 2011
Dolemite:

If it took you 2 years to learn all that, with help found only you could have done ot in two weeks, that's all I'm saying.
2 weeks? I laugh in Haskell. 2 effing week? This clearly tells me all I need to know about you.
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Dolemite(f): 7:12pm On Aug 01, 2011
In comparison, I wasn't speaking literally. . .I'm trying to say it would be more time efficient to use online resources as well as personal practice to learn programming, and programming is basically about algorithms common sense approach to solving problems it's like learning another language, you know what you want to say but don't know the words to use that's why getting help is important, because the more syntax you aquire and practice with the more arsenal you have to tackle various problems.
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Mobinga: 8:34pm On Aug 01, 2011
You cannot learn java in 2 weeks. Especially if you're in Nigeria.
Re: Java Programming - To Learn by Dolemite(f): 9:01pm On Aug 01, 2011
Mobinga:

You cannot learn java in 2 weeks. Especially if you're in Nigeria.
I agree baby. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Social Network I Built From Scratch With Php - Gisthive / Become A Front-end Web Designer With Nairaland 100days Of Code / SQL Query That Displays A List Assigned Only To Only The Logged In User Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.