Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,694 members, 7,837,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Fg Not In Negotiation With Boko Haram- Sgf - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Not In Negotiation With Boko Haram- Sgf (464 Views)

Borno Sets Condition For Boko Haram Negotiation With FG - Vanguard / FG Not Responsible For Failure Of States To Pay Salaries / FG Not Aware Of Keshi’s Salary Arrears – Okonjo-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fg Not In Negotiation With Boko Haram- Sgf by DaDoctor: 9:36am On Aug 04, 2011
By Elizabeth Archibong

August 3, 2011 03:04AM
print email

The federal government on Tuesday clarified that the Presidential Committee on Security Challenges in the North-East has no mandate to negotiate with the Boko Haram, but is a forum for fact-finding on the way forward.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim, made the clarification at the inauguration of the committee which has two weeks to summit its report.

He made the clarification in response to a remark by the chairman of the committee, Usman Gaji Galtimari, who had appealed to members of the group to take advantage of government’s gesture and embrace dialogue.

“Now that the federal government has taken the initiative to reach out to the leadership and adherents of the Jamatual Ahlus Sunna lid Da’awatis Jihad, also known as ‘Boko Haram’, I would like to plead and call on the sect to embrace this dialogue process.

“I assure them that all their genuine grievances will be addressed by the committee and appropriate recommendations made. I want them to accept this peace process which would not only translate into peaceful co-existence of all of us, but also enable them to freely come out and settle down to practice their religion and carry out other lawful activities, like any other Nigerians,” Mr Galtimari said.

But Mr Anyim moved in to establish the roles of the group.

“I tried in my briefing to give a background to this committee and I know it has been very much in the media that the federal government has set up the committee to negotiate with Boko Haram.

“I think it is not the proper situation as it is because that should be the second leg of the assignment. You don’t negotiate with whom you don’t know. These people we don’t know them, they are faceless. But we said we are providing a forum for whatever information you have, whatever opinion you have, whatever suggestion you have, lay it to this body. If by the time you finish your assignment you are able to identify them, then you now advise us on what to do; either to talk or not to talk with them.

“For the purposes of your present assignment, negotiation does not come in because you don’t know the people you are going to encounter. But that is not to say that after your report whatever you recommend to us we will now implement.

“So, I want to clarify that the purpose of this committee, like I said earlier, is to provide a forum whereby every persons who have suggestions, opinion, information on the way forward without restriction of access to the committee. The committee would sensitise the information and advise us. So, please let me emphasise, this is not a negotiating team, it is a fact-finding team,” Mr Anyim explained.

Members of the committee include Mohammed Ali Ndume (ANPP senator from Yobe); Joe Kyari Gadzama; Musa Shehu (rtd); minister of Federal Capital Territory, Bala Mohammed; minister of defence, Bello Haliru Mohammed; minister of labour and productivity, Emeka Wogu. Abdullahi Shehu, from the Office of the SGF, will act as secretary of the committee.

Terms of reference

The terms of reference of the committee include: to review all the issues of security challenges in the zone and proffer solutions/recommendations which would bring a speedy resolution of the crisis; to serve as a liason between the federal government and the state governments, where necessary; to liaise with the National Security Adviser (NSA) to ensure that the security services discharge their respective assignments with optimal professionalism; to consult with stakeholders from time to time for suggestions to ascertain the true state of affairs; and to consider any other initiatives that will serve to engender enduring peace and security in the area.

Mr Anyim also said the committee was constituted following a meeting between the president and the elders of the Arewa Consultative Forum on the best way forward.

“One of the issues agreed at the meeting was the need to create a forum that will give the elders and the general public role in finding a lasting solution to the security situation in Borno State and some parts of the north.

“In line with the belief of Mr President that security of the country should be the concern of every Nigerian, he has decided to set up this committee as a way of involving all the key stakeholders in finding a lasting solution to the security challenges in Borno State and other parts of the north,” he said.

The committee is required to complete its assignment and submit a final report to government on or before August 16th, 2011.

(1) (Reply)

Ilorin Residents Owe Phcn N833m / Shell In 400 Barrel Spill Fear / Things Fall Apart, But The Centre Can Still Hold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.