Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Mysql :: My First Function :: Substring Count Like Php - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Mysql :: My First Function :: Substring Count Like Php (1634 Views)

I'm Getting "Warning: Session_start() [function.session-start]" Error. Pls Help / Php User Defined Function Library / Writing A Time Based Expiration Script Or Function Using Php And Mysql (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mysql :: My First Function :: Substring Count Like Php by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 21, 2011
I was working on a web application that requires repetitive search for substrings.

Immagine a situation where you have a table like this:

[term | tags]
money | bag,travel,river
ball | football,tennis,baseball,basketball,snowball

So now, you want to do a query that will say:
money = 3
ball = 5
Notice i am displaying the number of tags for each of the term.

To do this: all i need to do is to say:
select term, ' = ', substr_count(tags,',') from mytable;

Normally, even in MySQL5, there is no such function as substring count.

You can run this query to install the substr_count function i just made:

CREATE FUNCTION substr_count (tag CHAR(20),s CHAR(20))
RETURNS CHAR(50) DETERMINISTIC
RETURN round((LENGTH(tag) - LENGTH(REPLACE(tag,s, ""wink)) / LENGTH
(","wink);

You only need to run this once in a database. It does not install into every
database on your server (or so i presume).

To delete the function, you need to check the structure of your database
and scroll to the bottom of the page, you should see::

- Routines
Routines
Name Type Return type
substr_count Edit Drop FUNCTION char(50) CHARSET utf8
Re: Mysql :: My First Function :: Substring Count Like Php by sayhi2ay(m): 12:07pm On Aug 22, 2011
Try to avoid using mysql functions if php can easily do it, efficient when building a web app
Re: Mysql :: My First Function :: Substring Count Like Php by Thatdave(m): 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2011
i would have been tempted to use the php explode function on the set of strings. Then pass them into an array and you know what next. . .
Re: Mysql :: My First Function :: Substring Count Like Php by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 22, 2011
So for that kinda scenario, you will first send the query to php eh? process them, then re-run the query again eh?
How about performance issues? If you are working on an application that has to search through thousands of records?

I usually avoid using procedures all these time. The application i was working on - when i did that your method which
i have been doing till now, the query when the database still have like 1000 records took about 20 minutes to complete.

And i now, i am talking of records that are even much more than that. I have crashed some few servers in the past BTW.

(1) (Reply)

Best Website in Lagos ?? / Programmable Logic And Control / How To Login To Wordpress Dashboard And Cpanel Using Simpleserver Or XT181

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.