Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Is My First Degree The Problem? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is My First Degree The Problem? (1047 Views)

From A Ghetto To A First Class Degree: The Inspiring Story Of Samuel Adefisoye / Should I Acquire My First Degree From National Open University? / Father Who Obtained His First Degree At 54 Celebrated By Daughter (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 11:34am On Nov 25, 2022
Greetings all. It's my pleasure sharing the same space with you all.

Can I get a lecturer job in the universities in Nigeria if I have a PGD, MSc and PhD in the area I'm applying for the job but a BSc in another area?. Say for instance, I have a BSc in Mathematics n Statistics, a PGD in Geography n Environmental Management, an MSc in Environmental Management and a PhD in Geomorphology.
I've asked some people, but there seem to be divided opinions. I've also applied and I've not gotten anything positive, I don't know, but I think the first degree is throwing a spanner into my works.

I know there are people here who are academics in the university or they know what applies in the universities in Nigeria. Please I need to know what the standard is.

Mods please help me push to front page, pasisei.
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Pringles101: 11:52am On Nov 25, 2022
grin
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by LordIsaac(m): 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2022
I want to learn too. However, I know of a lecturer who was stripped of his PhD title and rank because it was discovered that he got his PhD from another faculty. They've asked him to go for another PhD if he must stay in the department.
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by yomi007k(m): 12:50pm On Nov 25, 2022
You self reason am now.
From maths to geography.

Why not do phd in something mathematics or statistics related. You can end up being consultant for FG or UNESCO on INEC and census related issues.
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by merieam16(f): 6:31pm On Nov 25, 2022
yomi007k:
You self reason am now.
From maths to geography.

Why not do phd in something mathematics or statistics related. You can end up being consultant for FG or UNESCO on INEC and census related issues.
i guess he doesnt like maths again lolzz
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by yomi007k(m): 6:53pm On Nov 25, 2022
merieam16:

It's not easy going to a new terrain to continue.

It may not lead to creativity , proficiency in the long run.

If he gets his phd in maths related course, he can easily work abroad.
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Richy4(m): 9:11pm On Nov 25, 2022
Have you applied in any institution and they rejected it claiming that you were not qualified?
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 10:28pm On Nov 25, 2022
LordIsaac:
I want to learn too. However, I know of a lecturer who was stripped of his PhD title and rank because it was discovered that he got his PhD from another faculty. They've asked him to go for another PhD if he must stay in the department.

I can understand that one. He has studied until Masters, if he leaves his area entirely when studying his phD it adds little or no value to what he has already built.
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 10:32pm On Nov 25, 2022
yomi007k:
You self reason am now.
From maths to geography.

I love Geography more...I just didn't know it would be a big issue. When I got the admission I was going to turn it down and start all over with jamb...but my dad advised me to just do it.

1 Like

Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 10:33pm On Nov 25, 2022
merieam16:

I don't love it....but I love it's application in geography.

1 Like

Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 10:41pm On Nov 25, 2022
yomi007k:

It's not easy going to a new terrain to continue.

It may not lead to creativity , proficiency in the long run.

If he gets his phd in maths related course, he can easily work abroad.

I think it's pointless if there's really a discrepancy because of my maths background. I say this because, nearly all disciplines are now quantitative. Everyone has to apply mathematics and statistics in research.

They all have to learn research methods that apply statistics. So a mathematian should fit in to many disciplines. In case, I bridged the gap with my PGD, although many would argue that a PGD bridges the gap when someone branches out of their subject area. Then I went further until my Doctorate. I should have an edge in research with my maths background.

1 Like

Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 10:45pm On Nov 25, 2022
Richy4:
Have you applied in any institution and they rejected it claiming that you were not qualified?

I've applied in 4 institutions already and haven't been called. They haven't said it's because of my maths background, but the rejection is making me think it may be because of that.
I have 6 papers and an experience as a Graduate research assistant. So I'm qualified, but I don't know why I haven't been contacted.
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Richy4(m): 11:08pm On Nov 25, 2022
Middleborn:

I've applied in 4 institutions already and haven't been called. They haven't said it's because of my maths background, but the rejection is making me think it may be because of that.
I have 6 papers and an experience as a Graduate research assistant. So I'm qualified, but I don't know why I haven't been contacted.
Have you tried Abroad?...U are really qualified honestly... By Abroad, I don't mean only US or UK... Just try different countries... Honestly, I like the combination of the course...
And only six applications submitted without response should not demoralize you..

1 Like

Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 6:09am On Nov 26, 2022
Richy4:

Have you tried Abroad?...U are really qualified honestly... By Abroad, I don't mean only US or UK... Just try different countries... Honestly, I like the combination of the course...
And only six applications submitted without response should not demoralize you..

I haven't tried that yet.
Thanks for your encouragement. I will not stop sending applications.
Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 7:22am On Nov 26, 2022
What I realized is that most very practical and specialized disciplines require you to have a grassroot-level knowledge in order to be qualified to lecture. They don't want a half baked jump-across lecturer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by lereinter(m): 1:17pm On Nov 26, 2022
Middleborn:
Greetings all. It's my pleasure sharing the same space with you all.

Can I get a lecturer job in the universities in Nigeria if I have a PGD, MSc and PhD in the area I'm applying for the job but a BSc in another area?. Say for instance, I have a BSc in Mathematics n Statistics, a PGD in Geography n Environmental Management, an MSc in Environmental Management and a PhD in Geomorphology.
I've asked some people, but there seem to be divided opinions. I've also applied and I've not gotten anything positive, I don't know, but I think the first degree is throwing a spanner into my works.

I know there are people here who are academics in the university or they know what applies in the universities in Nigeria. Please I need to know what the standard is.

Mods please help me push to front page, pasisei.

I know someone that has a BSC in Agriculture and msc, PhD in tourism and is lecturing in the department of tourism in a university

Maybe cos geography is very grounded and has been available for a long time

1 Like

Re: Is My First Degree The Problem? by Middleborn: 7:33am On Nov 27, 2022
My uncle who has lived in the UK for more than 33 years says people can change careers by obtaining degrees and become Professors in any area they want. Why should Nigeria be different?

(1) (Reply)

UI EPT Past Questions / Longest Word In English / Inter-rel Or Network Engineerig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.