Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,277 members, 7,954,095 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:17 PM

John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? (18288 Views)

Throwback Photo Of John Mikel Obi / Austin Okocha At Camp Nou, Praises Nephew Alex Iwobi Against Barcelona / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:41pm On Apr 08, 2016
@Icon4s

I remember watching Mikel in 2005 WYC final and screaming. "I hope Diego Maradona can see how to play the ten role."

Diego Maradona is my greatest number ten. No disrespect to the great Austin Jay Jay Okocha. Maradona was an absolute beast.

Mikel brought a new dimension to the game. Keeping the ball and building cohesiveness was the ideology of his game.

I rated Mikel's play over my favorite player of all time. That was how good he was.

Unfortunately, Mikel ended up in a team that plays a total different brand of football to his individual ideology. That is why he looked as if he regressed. He did not fall off as people think but he hardly got to play in the style of play that brought him to the limelight.

He never played the ten role in club football and played for a side that does not keep possession first.
Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by forgiveness: 8:36am On Apr 09, 2016
Icon4s:
Hmmm.. I nova join nairaland when this thread was created.

I watched the 19 years old Okocha feature at the 1993 AYC and 1994 World Cup qualifiers games played in 1993.

I also watched 18/19 years Old Mikel play at the 2005 AYC and 2006 AFCON.

And I think the 19 years old Mikel was a better player. (The 19 years old Mikel is far better than the current 28/29 years old Mikel even). This is what is called career regression.

TheGoodJoe, Forgiveness, Tbaba123. This debate may interest you.

I only saw few minutes of the finals of the U20 match against Argentina. So, i can't really access Mikel Obi at 19 years old but he was the reason i again picked interest in Nigeria football when i heard about his talent. But i never see wetin em take better pass Okocha.

Hmm! Okocha for 1993 would Cup qualifiers was already scoring goals with free kick and mesmerising with his skills.

However, I can't really judge between the two at 19 years of age.
Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by Icon4s(m): 2:42pm On Apr 09, 2016
forgiveness:

I only saw few minutes of the finals of the U20 match against Argentina. So, i can't really access Mikel Obi at 19 years old but he was the reason i again picked interest in Nigeria football when i heard about his talent. But i never see wetin em take better pass Okocha.

Hmm! Okocha for 1993 would Cup qualifiers was already scoring goals with free kick and mesmerising with his skills.

However, I can't really judge between the two at 19 years of age.

Well, U said it urself that u only saw few mins of the U20 final against Argentina so really dnt know the 18 yrs old Mikel.

I watched both play several games as 18/19 yrs olds. Mikel was a better player.

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 14, 2016
darqly:
Mikel is cute no doubt, but does de cuteness translate to skills? Did you see how hesitant he was on de ball most of the time? See how his first touch lets him down? See that he didn't mean to score de goal he did score cos de preceding touch was tooooo much?
He's being overhyped and de sooner he finds some club where he can polish up, de better for him. Far as am concerned, there is nothin excitin about Mikel's game, no one they'd bench for him. I don't see him as a regular for the next few years, in any big club.

I think your prophesy actually came to pass bro? Can Mikel now be compared with Jay-jay? The beauty of Nairaland! Howdy!
Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 14, 2016
elampiro:
Mikel at 19 better than Okocha? the question is unhealthy, given the fact that Okocha is retiring and hoping for someone to take over from where he stopped. In 5 years time or thereabout, when Mikel would have played over a few years, we will know the greater between him and Okocha base on achievements. However for the purpose of contribution to the topic, let me make comparison base on thier style of play and not achievements.

Mikel and Okocha no doubt are abudance of skills, but there is a difference in style and purpose that gives one an edge. Both of them can create havoc to opponets in the midfield, but in the opponets deep area, within 30 yards and 18 yard box, Okocha is not very daring there and sometimes gets confused in that area while Mikel creates lots of havocs and exhibits dangerous play in that area. I think this is important in football and that is what makes the differnce in midfielders and strikers. (2) Unlike Okocha Mikel does not hold the ball uneccessary too long or trying to shine at one spot. He advances with the ball and makes passes appropriately. His sense of judgement is quick and he plays more with his team mates than Okocha does. (3) Mikel's pull out of the ball are very sharp and lands in dangerous spots. His free kicks are not bad except he needs to perfect them. In the U-21 world cup he hit the cross bar once with a free kick. Obodo scored from his corner kick agaist Zimbabwe in Egypt. However, he needs to work on his shots at goals, they are too weak just like Kanu's . (4) Mikel's marking and his support for  defence is very commendable. (5) He wins balls from opponents more than Okocha does. (6) Mikel's dull monets in matches are few, he is pronounced through out the match.

Also Mikel has shown that he is able to cope with both fast pace footbal and sluggish footbal, this is important also. Prior to Okocha movement to Bolton he had always find difficulties in coping with fast pace football, and was always slowing down his team mates both in super eagles and in his clubs.

Finally, for now Okocha is our Legend just as Maradona is to Agentina. But we have to pray and support Mikel to make it to a higher height. He has the potentials of surpassing Zidane's records if only he moves to a good club quickly and keeps his head low.

So, can Mikel be compared with Jay-jay today?
Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 14, 2016
Akolawole:
@Nice2Have

Dont forget we are still at war on that your picture o wink

I thought you want to fault my analysis above.

If Jay-Jay is that excellent at 19, why did Westerhof used to remove him anyhow?

In Mikel at the Nations cup, i saw a boy that is cool and calm despite all this English media wahala.

So, how would you compare both of them today?
Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by darqly(m): 12:56pm On Aug 15, 2016
sarzy:

I think your prophesy actually came to pass bro? Can Mikel now be compared with Jay-jay? The beauty of Nairaland! Howdy!

Lol, where'd you drag this up from? He's actually proved me wrong no doubt- being a regular fixture at Chelsea under several managers can't be fluke.
Final answer?
Okocha- Brazen, assured on the ball one-on-one, talented, fleet-footed game-changer.

Mikel- Confident, risk-averse, can be counted upon, didn't turn out to be our Messi grin as predicted.
Re: John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 15, 2016
darqly:

Lol, where'd you drag this up from? He's actually proved me wrong no doubt- being a regular fixture at Chelsea under several managers can't be fluke.
Final answer?
Okocha- Brazen, assured on the ball one-on-one, talented, fleet-footed game-changer.

Mikel- Confident, risk-averse, can be counted upon, didn't turn out to be our Messi grin as predicted.

You mean Mikel regular on the bench? Okay, overall Mikel ?/100; Okocha ?/100. Give your percentage for each player.

Can Mikel now be compared with Jay-jay?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Video Of Ibadan Fans Attacking Journalist OgaNlaMedia After A Football Match / Nigeria's Duo Of Balogun, Aribo Celebrate Glasgow Rangers Title Success / Juventus Close To Signing Anthony Martial From Manchester United

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.