Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? (672 Views)

You Would Better Start Programming With Java Or C# / Top 20 Websites To Learn Coding With Java, Python, SQL, Algorithms, And Git For / Has Java Now Become Irrelevant Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Bloomsbury(m): 12:27pm On Jun 13, 2023
I want to learn Android app with Java. Later on, I will upgrade to Kotlin.

Is this pathway now outdated?

I noticed a lot of devs here don't like going into anything that has to do with Java. Some say JAVA is dead. Others say web development is now the in thing.

What's your advice for me who want to pursue this Career track?

Is leaning Android app dev with Java currently still worth it?

1 Like

Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Sheriman(m): 12:57pm On Jun 13, 2023
Bloomsbury:
I want to learn Android app with Java. Later on, I will upgrade to Kotlin.

Is this pathway now outdated?

I noticed a lot of devs here don't like going into anything that has to do with Java. Some say JAVA is dead. Others say web development is now the in thing.

What's your advice for me who want to pursue this Career track?

Is leaning Android app dev with Java currently still worth it?

No!! You can still developed Android project with Java is just that google is giving maximum support for Kotlin over Java which makes developers and tech companies to focus on moving to Kotlin. Hundreds of companies software applications still on Java. Android development is either Java or Kotlin. Kotlin is concise and pragmatic language which reduce boilerplate. it interporability with Java makes it it superb. It makes developers to write lesser code compare to Java.
Kotlin is simple version of Java for native Android development.

3 Likes

Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Millerules(m): 9:43pm On Jun 13, 2023
Why would you even want to learn Android Development with Java as a new Dev?

Just focus on Kotlin!
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by qtguru(m): 4:32pm On Jun 14, 2023
Millerules:
Why would you even want to learn Android Development with Java as a new Dev?

Just focus on Kotlin!

I've read conflicting issues, some top Android devs found bugs in Compose, Android View still works but it seems newbies have to know both just to be safe. Java and Kotlin

1 Like

Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Millerules(m): 5:26pm On Jun 14, 2023
Compose has stable versions already. It's new and it's improving. Kotlin works pretty fine with Android views. I haven't migrated fully to compose as well, but if I was to be learning Android Development in 2023 it definitely would be with Kotlin. I learnt Java first about 6yrs ago.

I would advise OP if it's Android you have in mind, go Kotlin. Compose is still coming big that would even make Kotlin fully SwiftUI compatible if you decide to take iOS Development in future.

If you however have this nice and cool idea and need to hit the market ASAP, you can consider React Native or Flutter (both are multiplatform atm, even Kotlin is but I would advice learning SwiftUI as a Kotlin Android Dev for multiplatform development)

One cent!

qtguru:

I've read conflicting issues, some top Android devs found bugs in Compose, Android View still works but it seems newbies have to know both just to be safe. Java and Kotlin
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by AdelinaSwin: 7:45am On Nov 12, 2023
Learning Android app development with Java is still a valuable pathway. While Kotlin has gained popularity for Android development due to its concise syntax and other advantages, Java remains relevant and widely used in the industry and also get Conclusion tips there. The key is to stay adaptable and open to learning new technologies, ensuring a versatile skill set for the future. Your choice to start with Java for Android is still a worthy investment in your career track.
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Deicide: 11:44am On Nov 12, 2023
Who said Java is dead? When Java 21 was released, when? You would find more work with Java than you would with Kotlin.
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Sheriman(m): 2:56pm On Nov 12, 2023
Deicide:
Who said Java is dead? When Java 21 was released, when? You would find more work with Java than you would with Kotlin.
This is not true. Both languages have a lot of opportunities if you're very good at one or both
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Deicide: 2:58pm On Nov 12, 2023
Sheriman:

This is not true. Both languages have a lot of opportunities if you're very good at one or both
where are the Jobs in Kotlin?
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by Sheriman(m): 3:21pm On Nov 12, 2023
Deicide:
where are the Jobs in Kotlin?
Visit reed.co.uk
Visit indeed.com
Or visit google and type Android development jobs in UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, Spain, Nigeria, South Africa Egypt, Germany and see a lot of Java or Kotlin opportunities.
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by EbenG(m): 6:36pm On Nov 12, 2023
Some random fun-fact: Kotlin drew inspiration from Java in its creation, and now Java finds inspiration from Kotlin. kiss
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by tollyboy5(m): 12:28am On Nov 14, 2023
EbenG:
Some random fun-fact: Kotlin drew inspiration from Java in its creation, and now Java finds inspiration from Kotlin. kiss
what about flutter?
Re: Is Android App Development With Java Now Outdated? by EbenG(m): 9:21am On Nov 14, 2023
tollyboy5:

what about flutter?

Flutter isn't inspired by Kotlin or Java. It basically offers a modern way to build cross platform apps more efficiently.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Programmers Salaries In Nigeria / Which Tech Field Has The Most Money? / How Proficient Is This Electonic Software Totor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.