Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,450 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) (26631 Views)

Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. / Parents Arrange Wife For Their 21-Year-Old Son Who Has SS Genotype / My Wife Lied About Her Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Bolt458: 7:40pm On Jul 09, 2023
I am not writing this for religious people to come with their funny talks, I am just putting this out here to hear from people who might have tried this methods or who heard about this methods and still proceeded or did not. I want to hear your experience. I have been dating someone for 5 years now, it happened that I began to see her as someone I would want to spend my life with. Last year we did our genotype test and we were both AS. Now , I know some of you will say this should be the first thing you ask when you meet someone but c’mon, would you say people in university that are dating now, would ask their sef that question? That theory is only feasible when you are single and ready to get married and want to start a new relationship, then you can always ask, but we all know some of our relationships started when we no Dey even see marriage in the nearest future, all of a sudden you just see them as the right person and you take the bold step. Now, I had to meet my family doctor here in Canada, I explained to him my current situation and he referred me to a GENETIC COUNSELOR. I am trying to take the necessary steps cause I am not ready to bring in a child with Sickle cell to this world, and I am not leaving anything to faith. A fone appointment was set with the counselor and we spoke at length. She told me that in every foetus, there is a 25% chance that we can get an SS child. Now , how do we mitigate this percentage to the barest minimum I asked as I am not even ready to bring in a sickler to this world. She gave me three options, I would rather say two because the last involves test when the baby comes, and that is out of the question.

Option 1:
A) CVS: They take a sample of the fluid in the womb through her vagina, at 12 weeks to test, if it’s good then fine, if not we have to terminate.

OR

B) At 16 weeks, they take the fluid using a needle directly from her womb, and if it’s SS , they terminate. Both procedures are cover by the government and we don’t need to pay a dime.

Now, she assured me that abortion is a very safe procedure if done properly, and it is even a bigger risk that one can die from a penicillin injection or carrying a pregnancy to term than any harm during an abortion.I know many people would come here and say abortion is this and that but let us be frank to ourselves. If you were told that the child in your womb would have cerebral palsy, or Down syndrome or a neurological disorder, would you still keep that pregnancy? Is there a 100% assurance that two AA people would give birth to a healthy baby? I have come to a realization that pregnancy is just a risk that people take, cus you really don’t know how your child would turn out.

Option 2:
PGD. This is just like IVF, where they would select the genotype before they insert back to the womb. She told me the government doesn’t cover this, and it could cost between $10K- $40k. However she mentioned, just like IVf, it is not guaranteed as it can fail and your money is gone.

I discussed this with my girl in Nigeria and she said she was fine with option 1a. I then asked her, that if the first, second are SS would she still remove it. She accepted. I would not lie to you, this girl is everything I want in a woman. I am not just looking at just love because I know love fades with time, but she is a really nice person, and has a good character. She has always been like this from my days in Nigeria because I was with her before I moved outside. Now after finding out our genotype, I tried to get into a relationship with AA. The first one Dey nigeria, she is a nice person, beautiful, but I just didn’t like her or feel attracted to her. She got tire and we just free ourselves, the second one is here in Canada, I just don’t like this one . Please note, I never slept with any of these ladies because I feel it’s not fair.

Now my question is for those who knew all this and still proceeded, how did it work out for you?

I repeat, don’t come here to tell me about how abortion is this and dat. Cus I know if they tell any of you that your child would be abnormal, 90% of you will go for the abortion

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 09, 2023
Why will you subject somebody's daughter to so much stress when you can easily go your separate ways.

156 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Kelechi009: 8:01pm On Jul 09, 2023
Most important question has been solved by confirming that she is 100% okay with it.

Another important thing is, is your family finances in perfect order, I mean are you guys loaded financially? This processes will require money, and may lead to regret if you keep trying and failing after spending thousands of dollars.

Money solves a lot of problems.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Childfree: 8:04pm On Jul 09, 2023
Bolt458

Since you and your Lady are okay with it, what again?

Do you want to know the chances of getting the IVF right considering how you might waste cash? Or what are the chances the first 1 or 2 pregnancy wouldn't be SS i.e if you decide to take the first option?

Why shouldn't you asked the genetic counselor to tell you from her experience since she might have deal with such problems previously?

People here are religious. Their religion forbids the first option, I doubt if anyone would say any meaningful thing to you.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Bolt458: 8:07pm On Jul 09, 2023
Childfree:

Since you and your Lady are okay with it, what again?

Do you want to know the chances of getting the IVF right considering how you might waste cash? Or what are the chances the first 1 or 2 pregnancy wouldn't be SS i.e if you decide to take the first option?

Why shouldn't you asked the genetic counselor to tell you from her experience since she might have deal with such problems previously?

People here are religious. Their religion forbids the first option, I doubt if anyone would say any meaningful thing to you.
thanks
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Childfree: 8:07pm On Jul 09, 2023
IconicR:
Why will you subject somebody's daughter to so much stress when you can easily go your separate ways.

Haven't you read what he wrote?
She is okay it. She willingly agree to it

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 09, 2023
Childfree:

She's not in her right thinking mode

46 Likes

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Zupay: 8:13pm On Jul 09, 2023
Childfree:

She is okay with it because she wan relocate to Canada.

114 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Bolt458: 8:15pm On Jul 09, 2023
Zupay:

She is okay with it because she wan relocate to Canada.
but this is someone I have been with before relocating to Canada. I have always had it in mind that she would join me. Left to her sef she prefer nigeria because it’s too cold here

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by FalseProphet1(m): 8:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
As a highly religious person, I'm extremely offended by this post knowing fully well that there's power in the name of Jesus. Anyways, just send me a message and I'll pray on the pregnancy and your SS baby would become AA.

This I have seen.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by McStoic(m): 8:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
Okay
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by MykellOni(m): 8:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
Attendance: Present ✔️
Omo this one na serious matter o, buh I love your courage man. That your babe na better woman self, pamper am o

9 Likes

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by LUAN(m): 8:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
More blessings boss. Follow all medical procedure and you will be fine. First option is okay. If you birth 2 children it's okay .
And There is every possibility that AS or AA will never come. Will you keep on aborting it?

3 Likes

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by TheBTCinvestor: 8:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Nairalander248: 8:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
Chatgpt Summarize pls

Chatgpt reply

The person is discussing two options regarding preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) and in vitro fertilization (IVF). Option 2 involves selecting the genotype before insertion into the womb, but it is not covered by the government and can cost between $10,000 and $40,000, with no guarantee of success. They had a discussion with their partner in Nigeria, who agreed to option 1a. The person emphasizes that their partner is everything they want in a woman, not just based on love, but also because of her good character. They tried to pursue relationships with other individuals with compatible genotypes but did not feel a connection. They ask for others' experiences who have gone through similar situations and specifically request not to be lectured on abortion as they believe most people would consider it if faced with the possibility of having an abnormal child.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Workch: 8:39pm On Jul 09, 2023
Bro, abort the baby if it's SS. Simple

I don't see any issue here

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Omoawoke: 8:39pm On Jul 09, 2023
AS v As

You can test the foetus, if SS terminate…

But when analyzing, let’s let at both sides..

What if somehting goes wrong in abortion
What if the pregnancy is twins and one is AA and the other SS

Or what if the testing have a false result as AS, when the baby is actually SS

Many things to analyze

24 Likes

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Powerdrunk: 8:39pm On Jul 09, 2023
Dated for 5 Years? Continue...
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by KingLennon(m): 8:41pm On Jul 09, 2023
Ok
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Zupay: 8:42pm On Jul 09, 2023
Bolt458:
but this is someone I have been with before relocating to Canada. I have always had it in mind that she would join me. Left to her sef she prefer nigeria because it’s too cold here

Fact is that, it will take a toll on her physically and mentally, when she keeps terminating pregnancies when it is not the desired genotype.

You both are better off going your different ways unless the PGD that is expensive and not 100 percent certain.

Having a child with the SS genotype is no joke. my elder brother is one and it wasn't funny growing up. Glad he pulled through and now married with his own kids.....I still shudder remembering what parents went through because of him likewise us, his siblings.

Reason all of us did ask whoever we dated their genotype within the first 2 weeks, no long story. I am getting married in few months time and I did encourage my fiancée to go for genotype testing at the early stage of our relationship, in as much as she is biracial though her mum is Dutch but her dad being Nigerian, I can't shout! Luckily for us, she is AA......I can't repeat my parents' experience!

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Postinor: 8:43pm On Jul 09, 2023
Hmm, this issue is tough sha, but I would say if u don't really care about the religious implications of abortions then u can go on with the marriage
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Nyanabo(m): 8:44pm On Jul 09, 2023
If you both are okay with the procedure, then to hell with whatever any other person say. Most importantly it's her body and if she is good with it good and fine.

3 Likes

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Skillsnigeria: 8:44pm On Jul 09, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by jmoore(m): 8:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
Abortion is terrorism.

You have to be a hypocrite to criticize bokoharam but you don't want to be criticised for killing babies.
Workch:
Shut up, religious people don't come.
Don't telll us all your religious crap on this thread
Abortion is terrorism.

You have to be a hypocrite to criticize bokoharam but you don't want to be criticised for killing babies.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by frozen70(f): 8:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
Bolt458:
I am not writing this for religious people to come with their funny talks, I am just putting this out here to hear from people who might have tried this methods or who heard about this methods and still proceeded or did not. I want to hear your experience. I have been dating someone for 5 years now, it happened that I began to see her as someone I would want to spend my life with. Last year we did our genotype test and we were both AS. Now , I know some of you will say this should be the first thing you ask when you meet someone but c’mon, would you say people in university that are dating now, would ask their sef that question? That theory is only feasible when you are single and ready to get married and want to start a new relationship, then you can always ask, but we all know some of our relationships started when we no Dey even see marriage in the nearest future, all of a sudden you just see them as the right person and you take the bold step. Now, I had to meet my family doctor here in Canada, I explained to him my current situation and he referred me to a GENETIC COUNSELOR. I am trying to take the necessary steps cause I am not ready to bring in a child with Sickle cell to this world, and I am not leaving anything to faith. A fone appointment was set with the counselor and we spoke at length. She told me that in every foetus, there is a 25% chance that we can get an SS child. Now , how do we mitigate this percentage to the barest minimum I asked as I am not even ready to bring in a sickler to this world. She gave me three options, I would rather say two because the last involves test when the baby comes, and that is out of the question.

Option 1:
A) CVS: They take a sample of the fluid in the womb through her vagina, at 12 weeks to test, if it’s good then fine, if not we have to terminate.

OR

B) At 16 weeks, they take the fluid using a needle directly from her womb, and if it’s SS , they terminate. Both procedures are cover by the government and we don’t need to pay a dime.

Now, she assured me that abortion is a very safe procedure if done properly, and it is even a bigger risk that one can die from a penicillin injection or carrying a pregnancy to term than any harm during an abortion.I know many people would come here and say abortion is this and that but let us be frank to ourselves. If you were told that the child in your womb would have cerebral palsy, or Down syndrome or a neurological disorder, would you still keep that pregnancy? Is there a 100% assurance that two AA people would give birth to a healthy baby? I have come to a realization that pregnancy is just a risk that people take, cus you really don’t know how your child would turn out.

Option 2:
PGD. This is just like IVF, where they would select the genotype before they insert back to the womb. She told me the government doesn’t cover this, and it could cost between $10K- $40k. However she mentioned, just like IVf, it is not guaranteed as it can fail and your money is gone.

I discussed this with my girl in Nigeria and she said she was fine with option 1a. I then asked her, that if the first, second are SS would she still remove it. She accepted. I would not lie to you, this girl is everything I want in a woman. I am not just looking at just love because I know love fades with time, but she is a really nice person, and has a good character. She has always been like this from my days in Nigeria because I was with her before I moved outside. Now after finding out our genotype, I tried to get into a relationship with AA. The first one Dey nigeria, she is a nice person, beautiful, but I just didn’t like her or feel attracted to her. She got tire and we just free ourselves, the second one is here in Canada, I just don’t like this one . Please note, I never slept with any of these ladies because I feel it’s not fair.

Now my question is for those who knew all this and still proceeded, how did it work out for you?

I repeat, don’t come here to tell me about how abortion is this and dat. Cus I know if they tell any of you that your child would be abnormal, 90% of you will go for the abortion

Dey play well well

If you insist on getting married to her, then go for child adoption

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Agbadocassava: 8:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
Don’t dare it

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by slimvida(f): 8:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
In all you do please be careful not to add to sickle cell population. I am SC and I will tell you for free it's not easy. It's a very painful experience. I would choose heartbreak over the pain caused by sickle cell disorder.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Workch: 8:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
jmoore:
Abortion is terrorism.
Shut up, religious people don't come.
Don't telll us all your religious crap on this thread

1 Like

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Grupo(m): 8:47pm On Jul 09, 2023
In all you do, just make sure you don't bring an SS child into this world.

Else, the devil will just remove his hands from your matter because he already settled you.

I'm speaking from experience, do everything possible not to bring an SS child into this world.

Don't listen to religious lunatics who would want to talk about faith and all the other spiritual bullshit.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Houseofglam7(f): 8:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) by Childfree: 8:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
Bolt458:

The op's assumption is a good point thus. However, you are in best position to tell otherwise based on how you see the whole situation.

Hope you are not basing it on this post I quoted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

5-Year Marriage Experience: Lessons Learnt & Knowledge Acquired / Marriage: Women Decry Lack Of Financially Eligible Suitors / Reno Omokri: "Your Money Is For You And Your Wife. But Her Money Is Not For You"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.