Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,231 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Why Are We Using The Dollar System? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are We Using The Dollar System? (397 Views)

#1,500/$ Naira Rises Against The Dollar As Enemies Of Nigeria Wails / Reno Omokri Educates Nigerians On The Dollar Exchange Rate, Over 6000 Likes / Using The BVAS For The Conduct Of Elections Has Come To Stay, No Going Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by LexNuel(m): 12:01pm On Jul 11, 2023
I have always asked myself this question. Why are we using the dollar system. Why are we exchanging goods & services using the dollar as a reference point?...how did the world get to this point.

I mean first, it was the barter system; which was in its own right effective. But Education said there was no way to quantify what is equivalent to what.. how many tubers of yam should be equivalent to one bowl of rice etc.

Then we went to cowries... Education said the shells were not uniform enough..

We tried Gold.. ah!! Its too scarce...trade deficit issues, it can being down the economy.. blah blah blah.. Government cannot control it...which Government actually? 😏😏

And now it's dollar.. and they say it's efficient because that is the major advantage the US has over other countries.

Kenyan President, Ruto, once asked "why we are trading with US dollar in africa"..Why?.. why give the dollar more power...

The US has its hook in our throat with the dollar. They say prices are controlled naturally but we both know that's not true...

And I'm just here thinking, will we ever get out of this dollar system? The same way we were convinced to leave cowries and gold.. even though we had it in abundance compared to the west.

Now the West is in control...

Where do we go from here?
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by jmoore(m): 12:05pm On Jul 11, 2023
World power no be by mouth.
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by Apus: 12:06pm On Jul 11, 2023
K
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by squash47(m): 12:07pm On Jul 11, 2023
The world will soon evolve to the point where dollar will no longer be required for basic international transactions.
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by MS247: 12:12pm On Jul 11, 2023
cool

Ghadafi of Libya and Saddam Hussein of Iraq both asked that question

We know how they were ended

Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by HeartlessMan: 1:06pm On Jul 11, 2023
OP RIP in advance

1 Share

Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by inoki247: 1:26pm On Jul 11, 2023
The Kenya President is an hypocrite go to there immigration and tell them you want to apply for Permit they will Bill you in Dollars wether from Neighboring Africa countries or any Africa countries....

The guy is just making noise they say Charity Begins at home since when he had made doz speech what change of Policy has he implemented....

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by nairalanda1(m): 4:01pm On Jul 11, 2023
What does dollar, euro, yen and remnibi have in common?

All are currencies of exporters of manufactured goods and servicies

If we do likewise, and improve tax uptake at home, and fight corruption, Naira might be stronk.
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by LexNuel(m): 9:42pm On Jul 26, 2023
nairalanda1:
What does dollar, euro, yen and remnibi have in common?

All are currencies of exporters of manufactured goods and servicies

If we do likewise, and improve tax uptake at home, and fight corruption, Naira might be stronk.

Totally agree with you… but is America ready to even let go of that position.. I can bet that any African country whose currency starts coming up will face economic wars from the west
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by LexNuel(m): 9:43pm On Jul 26, 2023
HeartlessMan:
OP RIP in advance

Ode eshi Dey… nothing Dey happen…lol
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by LexNuel(m): 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2023
MS247:
cool

Ghadafi of Libya and Saddam Hussein of Iraq both asked that question

We know how they were ended

That’s why nobody gree talk again na
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by LexNuel(m): 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2023
squash47:
The world will soon evolve to the point where dollar will no longer be required for basic international transactions.

Hmmm… I don’t see this happening in this century
Re: Why Are We Using The Dollar System? by plaetton: 9:56pm On Jul 26, 2023
LexNuel:
I have always asked myself this question. Why are we using the dollar system. Why are we exchanging goods & services using the dollar as a reference point?...how did the world get to this point.

I mean first, it was the barter system; which was in its own right effective. But Education said there was no way to quantify what is equivalent to what.. how many tubers of yam should be equivalent to one bowl of rice etc.

Then we went to cowries... Education said the shells were not uniform enough..

We tried Gold.. ah!! Its too scarce...trade deficit issues, it can being down the economy.. blah blah blah.. Government cannot control it...which Government actually? 😏😏

And now it's dollar.. and they say it's efficient because that is the major advantage the US has over other countries.

Kenyan President, Ruto, once asked "why we are trading with US dollar in africa"..Why?.. why give the dollar more power...

The US has its hook in our throat with the dollar. They say prices are controlled naturally but we both know that's not true...

And I'm just here thinking, will we ever get out of this dollar system? The same way we were convinced to leave cowries and gold.. even though we had it in abundance compared to the west.

Now the West is in control...

Where do we go from here?
If you look at history, the nation with the most powerful Naval power tend to be the most dominant power.
In the modern era, aside from the US being the most dominant military power, more importantly , the US has the most diversified and versatile economy in the world. The diversity and versatility creates the kind of economic stability that no other nation in the world can rival.
The the diversity and dynamism of the US economy and financial system absorbes all the shocks and unpredictability of all other economies.
Smart money looks for safety above every other consideration.
Therefore, the US dollar is always , and would always remain the reserve currency, the currency of last resort in any period of the global economic cycle .

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

NLC Issues Nationwide Strike Notice Over Fuel Price Hike / Senate Clears Wike For Ministerial Role / They Displayed My Mock Coffin Publicly~ Gej

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.