Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures (488 Views)

Some Scriptures People Use Wrongly To Justify Themselves / Just Saw This On Youtube..startled!! / How Well Do You Know The Scriptures? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 11, 2012
“As they were talking about these things, Jesus himself stood among them, and said to them, ‘Peace to you!’ But they were startled and frightened and thought they saw a spirit. And he said to them, ‘Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts?’” Luke 24:36-38

When the disciples first encountered Jesus after His resurrection, they were startled, frighted, even disbelieving out of joy. They simply did not know what to make of this incredible sight. Jesus assured them that it was indeed Him, that He was real–that He was raised, flesh and bone. He showed them His hands and feet. He ate fish in front of them. They began to believe but were still greatly perplexed.

What changed their demeanor from fear to faith?

It was when Jesus opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. It was when He demonstrated to them that His resurrection was no novel occurrence but rather all the Scriptures, the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms, all pointed to this event. Only when they understood the Scripture were they were settled. The disciples may have been startled by the resurrection, but the Scriptures weren’t. The resurrection was according to plan.

The Word of God should ground all our hopes and expectations. The events of our lives often surprise and startle us. But if we remember what the Word of God says we need not be so disturbed. When the Word informs our view of reality, when we understand its explanation for our lives, its statement of our purpose–it puts us on solid ground. When the Scripture is our foundation the twists and turns of life are not so disturbing. We know that all our days are in His hands and that He works all things according to the purpose of His will.

The death and resurrection of Christ–while perplexing to the disciples, was right in line with all that God had planned. The Scriptures anticipated it and they explain it. If we understand the Scriptures we will be settled in life. If we don’t we will frequently be startled and perplexed.

Lord help me to know your Word, to be informed by your Word, to understand everything that happens in my life through the filter of your Word. May Your Word be the bedrock under my feet, and the foundation that under-girds my life. Thank you for making your Word known to me through Christ. Amen.

http://consideringchrist.org/
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^

Stop wasting your time, will ya? Go find real work ------
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 11, 2012
phxc:

^^^

Stop wasting your time, will ya? Go find real work ------

You lost me here grin

I am happy to see the truth is getting the better of you.
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^

Aren't you stacking up the posts to win this year's award as it eluded u last year and instead went to your great nemesis, Pastor Jo? Don't be so desperate my friend
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2012
phxc:

^^^

Aren't you stacking up the posts to win this year's award as it eluded u last year and instead went to your great nemesis, Pastor Jo? Don't be so desperate my friend

Poster of the year award, and what will that add to my life undecided

I just enjoy posting articles I find of interest.

Take my word for it, Poster of the year award means zilch to me.
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Sweetnecta: 1:12pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^^^^^^^ Ha ha; thats from the simpson cartoon show.

El desperado el senor frosybel.

mucho grati[ou]s senor phxc. the dude has lost some marbles. screw loose[s]
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^

You do not disappoint me, joining up with your atheist brothers to attack your nemesis  grin grin
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 11, 2012
frosbel:

Poster of the year award, and what will that add to my life undecided

I just enjoy posting articles I find of interest.

Take my word for it, Poster of the year award means zilch to me.

Knowing the kind of person you are, it would be a boon to your vanity tongue.
From the number of topics you start that get no replies, it appears that starting a topic that generates discussion is not your aim but rather posting for posting sake. It would mean a lot to you to get one up on Pastor Jo.
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Sweetnecta: 1:51pm On Jan 11, 2012
[Quote]« #6 on: Today at 01:16:18 PM »

^^^

You do not disappoint me, joining up with your atheist brothers to attack your nemesis Grin Grin[/Quote]I am his nemesis, now. Tomorrow, I will be called his brother. Multiple personality sufferer you are.
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 11, 2012
Sweetnecta:

I am his nemesis, now. Tomorrow, I will be called his brother. Multiple personality sufferer you are.

frosbel doesn't know when he contradicts himself. That's what u get when all you're after is attention.
Re: Startled Until We Understand The Scriptures by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 11, 2012
Continue to post I must and will.

Comment if you care, but read the truths of the word of God if you may.

God bless those who love his word and our prayers are for those on the path to nowhere as well as those who worship false gods.

Have a nice day cool

(1) (Reply)

I Need To Know Why Things Is Like This And Make A Change To Success / The Difference Btw Believing And Knowing / Holy Spirit Instructed Me To Remove Object From Her Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.