Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,147 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Advice - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advice (754 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Advice by greatdbanj: 8:14am On Oct 13, 2007
is it advisable 2 use templates
Re: Advice by my2cents(m): 11:16am On Oct 13, 2007
i guess it depends on what you mean by "templates".

If you mean creating a series of pages that all look the same:
Yes: This is why, at least in my experience, creating the first (usually the home) page takes the most time. Once you have that down, the other pages are then "templates" of that first page and at that point, you are basically copying, pasting and renaming file names. In the end, its the content that changes.

If you mean going out to other sites, seeing what they do and using those (be it by buying them, replicating them, or "borrowing" them)/googling for "templates":

It depends. I won't lie. Before I start a project, I google for sites in the same genre I am about to embark upon. I study what I like/don't like. I then google for similar templates. I then mix these up with the ideas I already had in my head and at the end of the day, hope that the resulting "mashup" so to speak, is something that my clients/my peers appreciate.

The issue I have found with buying a template (not that I have bought one, but I know this would come up eventually) is similar to the issue of going to Mr. Biggs as opposed to cooking it yourself - it is merely a convenience. It may take less time to stand in line to buy it and then eat it but chances are they won't cook it to your taste, perhaps they don't add the same amount of condiments you would have added and perhaps they used processed, as opposed to original "panadol", not to mention you don't know under what conditions the food was prepared. And of course, to top it all up, in the long-term, it costs more (in time and money) and doesn't last as long as it would if you had bought all the ingredients and cooked it yourself.

I hope this helps.
Re: Advice by smartsoft(m): 12:49pm On Oct 13, 2007
Good answer and also you can sketch out your design on white board or a drawing book if any, cos that will give you an idea of what you trying to do.

(1) (Reply)

Help Urgently Needed Nairahost! / New Site: Insideria.com (for Serious Web Developers) / Bid Directory Free Blog Post With Your Listing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.