Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,038 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering (24153 Views)

Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering, Which Of Dis Earn Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Israelie(m): 8:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
Hello guys, I am seeking admission in Uniben and Kad poly. I applied for computer science as my 1st choice and computer engineering as second choice on both institutions, but my main aim is to become a Programmer and also a software creator. So Please I want you guys to enlighten me more on these 2 courses, and I also want to know the difference between them. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by double08(m): 12:11am On Jun 23, 2012
Computer Science deals with the software aspect of a computer while Computer Engineering deals with the Hard ware aspect it,there is a little bit of Elect/Elect in Computer Engineering
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Israelie(m): 3:04am On Jun 24, 2012
@double08 tanks....wt abt webdesignin n programmin is't under Computer Engineerin?
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by SpiritofOkija(m): 11:16am On Jun 25, 2012
One is a scientist, the other is an Engineer...
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by isquar3d3(m): 11:18am On Jun 25, 2012
Web design nd programming both fall under comp sci. Besides, u'l do a bit of comp eng. in comp. sci. U won't get it d oda way round.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Skywalker5(m): 11:20am On Jun 25, 2012
computer science will definitively teach you programming while Engineering might go into Networking

Well in Nigerian Universities, i really dont know what they would teach you
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by KejiOJ(m): 11:20am On Jun 25, 2012
Computer sc. only deal with the design of flow chart while computer eng deal with the design articheture based on H/ware or software, even in this electronic gadgets

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by KejiOJ(m): 11:21am On Jun 25, 2012
isquar3d3: Web design nd programming both fall under comp sci. Besides, u'l do a bit of comp eng. in comp. sci. U won't get it d oda way round.

No.. web designing fall under computer Eng..
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by miteolu(m): 11:25am On Jun 25, 2012
Most of the universities in Nigeria can never give you the best in computer engineering. It is better to learn computer engineering @ Computer village, Ikeja or computer engineering centers than wasting 4-5 years in higher institution.
Plenty theories in university. Graduate computer engineer that can not couple ordinary Pentium 4 PC. Only what they know is REPLACEMENT

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by femi4: 11:27am On Jun 25, 2012
In Nigeria today, I ll advise you go for comp eng in terms of job hunting
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by chmod777: 11:28am On Jun 25, 2012
In the industry in Europe, just note there is little or no difference. See job adds : Acadeemic requirements- MSc computer Science/Engineering, Physics or any related.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Beaf1: 11:32am On Jun 25, 2012
miteolu: Most of the universities in Nigeria can never give you the best in computer engineering. It is better to learn computer engineering @ Computer village, Ikeja or computer engineering centers than wasting 4-5 years in higher institution.
Plenty theories in university. Graduate computer engineer that can not couple ordinary Pentium 4 PC. Only what they know is REPLACEMENT

Do they issue certificates at the 'Computer Village' as well? Can one use that to further or secure a good job in any IT establishment?

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by ashson: 11:32am On Jun 25, 2012
computer engr is more of electrical engr thereby dealing mostly wth hardware wth little software. but computer sc. is mostly software wth little hardaware. programming, web design, softwr dvlpmnt etc, fall under computer sc. it is my field of study. any one of them is good.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by wandeay: 11:44am On Jun 25, 2012
nice thread, av been even wondering wats d difference, but to me comp eng deal more on d hardwares, networking, problem fixing, eg being in charge of d main server of an institution while comp sci deals more on programing, effective hacking, comp scripts, etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Melinde: 11:47am On Jun 25, 2012
computer sci will actually give you those things you mentioned with a bit of computer hardware.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Azcreativ(m): 11:49am On Jun 25, 2012
I did computer engineering technology @ the Fed. Poly Offa n presently studying Computer Science and Engineering in the University but my option is engineering. Ɣou will be inducted as a professional Engineer unlike those who did computer science. Though it A̶̲̥̅♏ depends on choice and preference towards any of d two. Computer science is more on software that run on hardware platforms while comp. Engrn deals with electronic components constructed to deliver solutions. As computer engineers we build devices and encode them with instructions that direct their functions. There's more to Ɣou studying computer engineering in the university than by the road side.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by olaezebala: 11:51am On Jun 25, 2012
miteolu: Most of the universities in Nigeria can never give you the best in computer engineering. It is better to learn computer engineering @ Computer village, Ikeja or computer engineering centers than wasting 4-5 years in higher institution.

Cause the only thing you can do as a Computer Engr in 9ja is replacement. Are they expected to build a motherboard or DVD rom e.t.c? They only need to know how to troubleshoot and find the faulty part of the system and go to computer village, buy the part and replace. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 11:56am On Jun 25, 2012
Studying Computer Science you get to learn things like System Analysis and Design Methodology (SADM), SQL, C++, Java, communication and networking principles in theory, Cobol, web design, programming etc, majorly software oriented courses. On the other side, studying Computer engineering you get to know stuffs like computer components, circuit board electronics, Operating systems, Electromagnetic Discharge, Statics, electrons, transistors etc, mostly hardware and computer electronics. May I suggest some advice? Go for computer science and then take professional courses like A+, Network+ and other hardware related exams to cover for the engineering aspect of computing. I did just that and i kinda have larger knowledge both in Software and Hardware. Plus you could be employed as a computer engineer, computer scientist, system analyst or system admin.
Good luck.. wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by miteolu(m): 12:02pm On Jun 25, 2012
Beaf!:

Do they issue certificates at the 'Computer Village' as well? Can one use that to further or secure a good job in any IT establishment?

Guy, get this most of graduate comp. engr. fail practicals @ the field. We employ comp. engr. as contractor in my company because we discovered that IT graduates lake practical. Computer Village could be of help to graduate IT graduates
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2012
Biyi1471: Studying Computer Science you get to learn things like System Analysis and Design Methodology (SADM), SQL, C++, Java, communication and networking principles in theory, Cobol, web design, programming etc, majorly software oriented courses. On the other side, studying Computer engineering you get to know stuffs like computer components, circuit board electronics, Operating systems, Electromagnetic Discharge, Statics, electrons, transistors etc, mostly hardware and computer electronics. May I suggest some advice? Go for computer science and then take professional courses like A+, Network+ and other hardware related exams to cover for the engineering aspect of computing. I did just that and i kinda have larger knowledge both in Software and Hardware.
Good luck.. wink
excellent cool
Biyi1471: Studying Computer Science you get to learn things like System Analysis and Design Methodology (SADM), SQL, C++, Java, communication and networking principles in theory, Cobol, web design, programming etc, majorly software oriented courses. On the other side, studying Computer engineering you get to know stuffs like computer components, circuit board electronics, Operating systems, Electromagnetic Discharge, Statics, electrons, transistors etc, mostly hardware and computer electronics. May I suggest some advice? Go for computer science and then take professional courses like A+, Network+ and other hardware related exams to cover for the engineering aspect of computing. I did just that and i kinda have larger knowledge both in Software and Hardware.
Good luck.. wink
excellent

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by miteolu(m): 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2012
olaezebala:

Cause the only thing you can do as a Computer Engr in 9ja is replacement. Are they expected to build a motherboard or DVD rom e.t.c? They only need to know how to troubleshoot and find the faulty part of the system and go to computer village, buy the part and replace. Simple.

Is always funny when I heard that a student spends 5 years @ the university to learn computer engineering. After a whole show no practical knowledge.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by isquar3d3(m): 12:09pm On Jun 25, 2012
Keji OJ:

No.. web designing fall under computer Eng..
seriously?? Tel me sumthng. Under wat area is software again? Or wat do u use 2 design web?
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by miteolu(m): 12:09pm On Jun 25, 2012
Beaf!:

At the field computer village students excel more than university students. How many university in Nigeria lay emphasis on practical and repairs but rather "history of computer, theories of main frame computers & co." so funny
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Ojobojo1(m): 12:10pm On Jun 25, 2012
A computer scientist does research and makes programs while an engineer builds hardware that will run those programs,also a computer engineer has more swag because comp engineering is like computer science + electrical/electronics engineering.

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 25, 2012
olaezebala:

With proper training at the university level and availability of computer board and other hardware building components one can successfully develop and build system motherboard with proper sequence logic. I quite believe if I studied computer engineering in the states or uk where one would be exposed to classic training i could be able to not only replace damaged system component but also to build them!
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Azcreativ(m): 12:22pm On Jun 25, 2012
Go to TђC̶̲̥̅̊ university, study computer engineering. During your 3months (SWEP) industrial attachment do that in computer village ikeja so for your 6month IT placement walk into a meaningful ICT firm that deals with front end and back end deployment, design and development of technology. With professional certification from Cisco, Microsoft, Comptia n TђC̶̲̥̅̊ likes, then Ɣou are complete.
miteolu:

Is always funny when I heard that a student spends 5 years @ the university to learn computer engineering. After a whole show no practical knowledge.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by kpolli(m): 12:27pm On Jun 25, 2012
Israelie: Hello guys, I am seeking admission in Uniben and Kad poly. I applied for computer science as my 1st choice and computer engineering as second choice on both institutions, but my main aim is to become a Programmer and also a software creator. So Please I want you guys to enlighten me more on these 2 courses, and I also want to know the difference between them. Thanks.

Programming is computer science. . .

Computer engineering is building a computer/system (hardware and co.), while computer science is running a computer/system (software and co.)
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 25, 2012
Israelie: Hello guys, I am seeking admission in Uniben and Kad poly. I applied for computer science as my 1st choice and computer engineering as second choice on both institutions, but my main aim is to become a Programmer and also a software creator. So Please I want you guys to enlighten me more on these 2 courses, and I also want to know the difference between them. Thanks.

Ok. Now, if you want to become a programmer and also a software developer i suggest you study Computer Science and YES you should study for this course in a university and NOT a poly. Forget Kad Poly and stick to Uniben. Aside security wise kad poly would not take you deep as Uniben would. Uniben, i am sure would tear Computer Science into pieces for you theoretically and with principles. You can easily learn the practicals on the job or during preparing for professional exams. Sure you would be exposed to developing simple applications using Java C++ and DBMS using SQL, Fox pro, My SQL and Unix. Brother, I tell you, computing is interesting and programming is so interesting and addictive. You would enjoy it. Programming is going to be like a skill to you once you know the rudiment and syntax... wink
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 25, 2012
am loving thiz cheesy
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by tessyade: 12:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
isquar3d3: Besides, u'l do a bit of comp eng. in comp. sci. U won't get it d oda way round.
This is not correct. I studied computer engineering in school but i took programming core courses like c, assembly language, c++ and even the obsolete fortran.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 25, 2012
miteolu:

At the field computer village students excel more than university students. How many university in Nigeria lay emphasis on practical and repairs but rather "history of computer, theories of main frame computers & co." so funny

I don't think so. As a computer science graduate both at undergraduate and masters level plus A+, Network+ and CCNA certifications I would not want to agree with you that a computer village student would know more than I do in theory and hands-on practicals. Fine, i would learn a thing from him but not entirely and i am sure he would really have a lot to learn from me. And believe me, i like to learn.. wink

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by member10: 12:49pm On Jun 25, 2012
[size=13pt]Someone who studies engineering at the end of his/her 5 years in school is called an Engineer!
On the other hand what do you call someone who studied comp/science? Anyone??

I have had this question, was wondering if anybody would be kind enough to help we with it?
[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. / How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners / Why Most Beginners Quit Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.