Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) (38466 Views)

James Ibori Released From Prison, Reasted / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 12:41am On Jun 28, 2012
shymmex: ^^^^Dede1 and his pseudo-history... Bwahahahaha

This is going to get to 27pages! grin

You seemed to be allergic to simple truth hence your ill-informed utterance of pseudo-history. Someone has previously loaded you with misguided sense of logic or lack thereof of signin an instrument of pardon for Awolowo and others when the signer does not have authority over the territory in question.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by bashr8: 12:43am On Jun 28, 2012
Aigbofa:

Somebody who can't even spell annoying correctly is calling me olodo. Typical ibo moro.n.
yoruba man calling igbo man olodo , what an irony , i dont blame u na wetin one nigeria dey cause
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by ACM10: 12:54am On Jun 28, 2012
@Katsumoto,
Can u ever present your argument without condescending? Well, I will ignore that inherent trait of yours. This issue has been thrashed many times on this forum, of which u participated in most of those debates. I don't know why u are bent on revisionism. You continue to throw mud at the wall hoping that it sticks. I guess that your stubborn position is borne out of patriotism and loyalty to your tribe. That's why you tend to allow your loyalty to colour your objectivity.

1. Awolowo is a slimy character. He is neither here nor there. His position on sensitive issues is almost always ambiguous. Prior to independence, Zik insisted on unity and stood by it, Sardauna insisted on unity on their own terms and stood by it, Awolowo insisted on the introduction of seccession clause, then waivered.

2. I want to remind you that Awolowo's Action Group came 3rd after the 1959 election. I believe that Zik knows Awolowo's slimy nature more than we do. (Awo proved time and again that he cannot be trusted during his struggle with Akintola) That's why Zik did not consider him worthy in character to go into alliance with him. Even though Awolowo's party came 3rd, he still has an eye on the post of the prime minister in the event of an alliance with Zik's party. Can you imagine how ambitious he can be?

3. Awo engineered the cross-carpeting of Zik's party elected member of yoruba extraction into the Action Group, thereby setting off the dangerous trend of tribalism in Nigerian politics. His action forced Zik to relocated to the east to usurp Eyo Ita's power.

4. Awolowo was tried in the civilian court of law(not millitary tribunal), and found guilty of treasonable felony. Of which he was later jailed. Awo's lawyer has all the time and freedom in the world to argue against the case brought against their client. The propaganda talk of putting Awo behind bar on trumped-up charges is complete bullshyt.

5. Awo wrote a later to Aguiyi Ironsi pleading for clemency, commution of his sentence and presidential pardon. Which was later granted and approved by Ironsi. Though the order was yet to be carried out before his assassination.

6. Ojukwu did not accept the authority of Gowon. Therefore Gowon cannot order Ojukwu to release Awolowo from Calabar prison. Ojukwu released Gowon either as a goodwill gesture or to carry out the order of Ironsi before he died. It's on record that Ojukwu has complete control of all the affairs of eastern region including the millitary, police, custom, prison, etc. Gowon was simply a pawn in the hands of northern officers like Danjuma and Murtala. He could hardly assert his authority on his boys, let alone the eastern region. The owner of the vehicle that conveyed Awolowo back to the west does not change the trajectory of this debate. Therefore I consider it inconsequential. I might ignore your responses at my discretion. But don't misinterprete it as a sign that you defeated me with your superior argument, since I consider this debate a waste of time. I knew quite well that I can't change your well-dug views. So u are free to hold fast to it. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 1:06am On Jun 28, 2012
ACM10:

3. Awo engineered the cross-carpeting of Zik's party elected member of yoruba extraction into the Action Group, thereby setting off the dangerous trend of tribalism in Nigerian politics. His action forced Zik to relocated to the east to usurp Eyo Ita's power.

Geez! Don't you guys ever get fed up of peddling falsehoods? I had this argument with Dede many many

moons ago and till date, he hasn't been able to provide proofs to buttress his wide claim that Zik's party won that

election which necessitated the so-called carpet-crossing.

I suppose you can supply us with the election result which proves conclusively, that the NCNC won that election. Can you?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 1:08am On Jun 28, 2012
@ ACM10

Please do not waste your precious time on acute revisionists with deliberate mode of denial of facts and commission. I could not stop laughing when the poster wrote about logic when, in fact, he failed to proffer iota of logicality when citing the so-called public broadcast by Gowon to Nigerians on August 1, 1966 in which Gowon said he has no control over eastern region.

Is it not plain idiotic for one to sign an instrument of pardon for Awolowo and others when such person has also informed the entire public he has no control over the region where the aforementioned convicts were imprisoned?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 1:11am On Jun 28, 2012
1. Awo insisted on secession clause, it was Zik who ignored him. I will find a link

2. It is your opinion that Awo was slimy. And for your information, Awo and Akintola feud was in 1962; so how could Zik have used an incident in 1962 to form an opinion of Awo?

3. See my breakdown of election results in 1951; I dare you to produce the results which prove that Zik and NCNC won the elction

The Western house had 80 seats in total and any party with a 41 majority would have formed the government.

There were three elections for the 80 seats:
Western region elections on 24th September 1951 – 72 seats
Lagos elections on the 20th November 1951 – 5 seats (all won by NCNC)
Benin elections on the 6th of December 1951 – 3 seats (all won by Etu Edo)

Breakdown of 72 seats
AG won 38 seats including 3 won by its secretaries (Adegbenro, Hassan, and Osuntokun) who contested as independents.
Mabolaje Grand Alliance MBA (aka Ibadan Peoples Party) won 6 seats – Akinloye, Lanlehin, Akinbiyi, Akinyemi, Adelabu, and Aboderin
NCNC won 18 seats plus 7 Independent seats making 25
Ondo Improvement League won 2 seats
Adeola Odutola – Independent candidate representing Ijebu-Ode

At the end of the night on the 24th of September, 5 of the 6 MGA had declared for the AG while Adelabu declared for NCNC. Awosika of the Ondo improvement league and Adeola Odutola had both declared for the AG giving the AG 45 seats.

See official results below

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Oi0aVR4YkmUC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=1956+election+NCNC&source=bl&ots=xlo8I8O_iF&sig=jmQDabaMysM0SG7MMZI3yFZ49dg&hl=en&ei=004zTvWKL4OnsALHmdTtCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=1956%20election%20NCNC&f=false

Of the three seats in Benin won by Etu Edo, Ighodaro declared for AG while Omo-Osagie and Ekuyasi declared for NCNC.

At the end of December 1951, seats were as follows
AG – 46
NCNC/Independents 34

The Western house was inaugurated on the 7th of January 1952 and elections to the Federal House were held on the 10th of January 1952. Three members of the NCNC crossed over to the AG and these were Kessington-Momoh, Ako, and Awodi Orisaremi (all representing Urhobo/Kukuruku division in the Mid-west). None of them was Yoruba and that clearly defeats the lame and ridiculous lies that the AG, and by extension Awolowo, introduced tribal politics in Nigeria. These three crossed over because they needed AG votes to get into the Federal House. Ako and Kessington-Momoh were elected but Orisaremi lost and returned to the NCNC. These three crossed when the AG had a clear majority and had to pay fees to join the AG.

The real reason Zik resigned was because he lost that election to the Federal House. NCNC had five seats from the West and Zik couldn’t gain any of these seats losing to other NCNC members such as Fadahunsi, Olorunnimbe, Oputa-Otutu, Denis Osadebey, and Adeleke Adedoyin.

4. Thanks

5. I dare you to provide a link, book that proves Ironsi gave the order for Awo to be freed. You mean it took in excess of 3 months to effect a prisoner release?

6. The owner of the vehicle doesn't change the trajectory of the debate? So after Ojukwu released Awo, Awo started walking home and was noticed by Murtala who took pity on him and took him home? Some of you don't inject logic into your argument. If Ojukwu released Awo, why was Awo not re-arrested when he entered the Western region? It is only in the minds of those who don't understand how governments work that state that Ojukwu refusal to acknowledge means that everyone else gave a damn. Thanks to decree 34, ironically promulgated by Ironsi, all civil servants reported to Lagos regardless of location. Perhaps in your mind, after Gowon came to power, Civil servants started reporting to Ojukwu.

8 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by ACM10: 1:13am On Jun 28, 2012
T9ksy:

Geez! Don't you guys ever get fed up of peddling falsehoods? I had this argument with Dede many many

moons ago and till date, he hasn't been able to provide proofs to buttress his wide claim that Zik's party won that

election which necessitated the so-called carpet-crossing.

I suppose you can supply us with the election result which proves conclusively, that the NCNC won that election. Can you?

Ofcourse, I will! I may have to travel to my town to search for the proof in the books in our library. I will still come back to this thread with proof, even if it takes me months.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 1:18am On Jun 28, 2012
Dede1: @ ACM10

Please do not waste your precious time on acute revisionists with deliberate mode of denial of facts and commission. I could not stop laughing when the poster wrote about logic when, in fact, he failed to proffer iota of logicality when citing the so-called public broadcast by Gowon to Nigerians on August 1, 1966 in which Gowon said he has no control over eastern region.

Is it not plain idiotic for one to sign an instrument of pardon for Awolowo and others when such person has also informed the entire public he has no control over the region where the aforementioned convicts were imprisoned?

See Gowon's speech on 1st August below, please find where he stated that he didn't have control of the Eastern region. All he said was that there were no violent incidents in Enugu and Benin.

This is Lt-Col. Y. Gowon, Army Chief of Staff, speaking to you.

My fellow countrymen, the year 1966 has certainly been a fateful year for our beloved country, Nigeria. I have been brought to the position today of having to shoulder the great responsibilities of this country and the armed forces with the consent of the majority of the members of the Supreme Military Council as a result of the unfortunate incident that occurred on the early morning of 29th July 1966.

However, before I dwell on the sad issue of 29th July 1966, I would like to recall to you the sad and unfortunate incidents of 15th January 1966 which bear relevance. According to the certain well-known facts, which have so far not been disclosed to the nation and the world, the country was plunged into a national disaster by the grave and unfortunate action taken by a section of the Army against the public. By this I mean that a group of officers, in conjunction with certain civilians, decided to overthrow the legal government of the day; but their efforts were thwarted by the inscrutable discipline and loyalty of the great majority of the Army and the other members of the armed forces and the police. The Army was called upon to take up the reins of government until such time that law and order had been restored. The attempt to overthrow the government of the day was done by eliminating political leaders and high-ranking Army officers, a majority of whom came from a particular section of the country. The Prime Minister lost his life during this uprising. But for the outstanding discipline and loyalty of the members of the Army who are most affected, and the other members of the armed forces and the police, the situation probably could have degenerated into a civil war.

There followed a period of determined effort of reconstruction ably shouldered by Maj-Gen. J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi but, unfortunately, certain parties caused suspicion and grave doubts of the Government’s sincerity in several quarters. Thus, coupled with the already unpleasant experience of the 15th January still fresh in the minds of the majority of the people, certain parts of the country decided to agitate against the military regime which ad hitherto enjoyed country-wide support. It was, unfortunately, followed by serious rioting and bloodshed in many cities and towns in the north.

There followed a period of uneasy calm until the early hours of 29th July 1966, when the country was once again plunged into another very serious and grave situation, the second in seven months. The position on the early morning of 29th July was a report from Abeokuta garrison, that there was a mutiny and that two senior and one junior officers from a particular section of the country were killed. This soon spread to Ibadan and Ikeja. More casualties were reported in these places. The Supreme Commander was by this time at Ibadan attending the natural rulers’ conference and was due to return on the afternoon of 29th July. The Government Lodge was reported attacked and the last report was that he and the West Military Governor were both kidnapped by some soldiers. Up till now, there is no confirmation of their whereabouts. The situation was soon brought under control in these places. Very shortly afterward, at about the same time, there was a report that there were similar disturbances among the troops in the North, and that a section of the troops had taken control of all military stations in the North as well. The units of Enugu and the garrison at Benin were not involved. All is now quiet and I can assure the public that I shall do all in my power to stop any further bloodshed and to restore law, order and confidence in all parts of the country with your co-operation and goodwill.

I have now come to the most difficult part, or the most important part, of this statement. I am doing it, conscious of the great disappointment and heartbreak it will cause all true and sincere lovers of Nigeria and of Nigerian unity both at home and abroad, especially our brothers in the Commonwealth.

As a result of the recent events and the other previous similar ones, I have come to strongly believe that we cannot honestly and sincerely continue in this wise, as the basis of trust and confidence in our unitary system of government has not been able to stand the test of time. I have already remarked on the issues in question. Suffice to say that, putting all considerations to test-political, economic, as well as social-the base for unity is not there or is so badly rocked, not only once but several times. I therefore feel that we should review the issue of our national standing and see if we can help stop the country form drifting away into utter destruction. With the general consensus of opinion of all the Military Governors and other members of the Supreme and Executive Council, a decree will soon be issued to lay a firm foundation of this objective. Fellow countrymen, I sincerely hope we shall be able to resolve most of the problems that have disunited us in the past and really come to respect and trust one another in accordance with an all-round code of good conduct and etiquette.

All foreigners are assured of their personal safety and should have no fear of being molested.

I intend to continue the policy laid down in the statement by the Supreme Commander on 16th January 1966 published on 26th January 1966.

We shall also honour all international treaty obligations and commitments and all financial agreements and obligations entered into by the previous government. We are desirous of maintaining good diplomatic relationships with all countries. We therefore consider any foreign interference in any form will be regarded as an act of aggression.

All members of the armed forces are requested to keep within their barracks except on essential duties and when ordered from SHQ. Troops must not terrorise the public, as such action will discredit the new National Military Government. Any act of looting or sabotage will be dealt with severely. You are to remember that your task is to help restore law and order and confidence in the public in time of crisis.

I am convinced that with your co-operation and understanding, we shall be able to pull the country out of its present predicament. I promise you that I shall do all I can to return to civil rule as soon as it can be arranged. I also intend to pursue most vigorously the question of the release of political prisoners. Fellow countrymen, give me your support and I shall endeavour to live up to expectations. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 1:20am On Jun 28, 2012
ACM10:

Ofcourse, I will! I may have to travel to my town to search for the proof in the books in our library. I will still come back to this thread with proof, even if it takes me months.

The results can only be found in your village?? That is such a pathetic lie and copout. In any case, I have provided the results for you.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 1:50am On Jun 28, 2012
Katsumoto:

See Gowon's speech on 1st August below, please find where he stated that he didn't have control of the Eastern region. All he said was that there were no violent incidents in Enugu and Benin.

My fellow countrymen, the year 1966 has certainly been a fateful year for our beloved country, Nigeria. I have been brought to the position today of having to shoulder the great responsibilities of this country and the armed forces with the consent of the majority of the members of the Supreme Military Council as a result of the unfortunate incident that occurred on the early morning of 29th July 1966.

However, before I dwell on the sad issue of 29th July 1966, I would like to recall to you the sad and unfortunate incidents of 15th January 1966 which bear relevance. According to the certain well-known facts, which have so far not been disclosed to the nation and the world, the country was plunged into a national disaster by the grave and unfortunate action taken by a section of the Army against the public. By this I mean that a group of officers, in conjunction with certain civilians, decided to overthrow the legal government of the day; but their efforts were thwarted by the inscrutable discipline and loyalty of the great majority of the Army and the other members of the armed forces and the police. The Army was called upon to take up the reins of government until such time that law and order had been restored. The attempt to overthrow the government of the day was done by eliminating political leaders and high-ranking Army officers, a majority of whom came from a particular section of the country. The Prime Minister lost his life during this uprising. But for the outstanding discipline and loyalty of the members of the Army who are most affected, and the other members of the armed forces and the police, the situation probably could have degenerated into a civil war.

There followed a period of determined effort of reconstruction ably shouldered by Maj-Gen. J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi but, unfortunately, certain parties caused suspicion and grave doubts of the Government’s sincerity in several quarters. Thus, coupled with the already unpleasant experience of the 15th January still fresh in the minds of the majority of the people, certain parts of the country decided to agitate against the military regime which ad hitherto enjoyed country-wide support. It was, unfortunately, followed by serious rioting and bloodshed in many cities and towns in the north.

There followed a period of uneasy calm until the early hours of 29th July 1966, when the country was once again plunged into another very serious and grave situation, the second in seven months. The position on the early morning of 29th July was a report from Abeokuta garrison, that there was a mutiny and that two senior and one junior officers from a particular section of the country were killed. This soon spread to Ibadan and Ikeja. More casualties were reported in these places. The Supreme Commander was by this time at Ibadan attending the natural rulers’ conference and was due to return on the afternoon of 29th July. The Government Lodge was reported attacked and the last report was that he and the West Military Governor were both kidnapped by some soldiers. Up till now, there is no confirmation of their whereabouts. The situation was soon brought under control in these places. Very shortly afterward, at about the same time, there was a report that there were similar disturbances among the troops in the North, and that a section of the troops had taken control of all military stations in the North as well. The units of Enugu and the garrison at Benin were not involved. All is now quiet and I can assure the public that I shall do all in my power to stop any further bloodshed and to restore law, order and confidence in all parts of the country with your co-operation and goodwill.

I have now come to the most difficult part, or the most important part, of this statement. I am doing it, conscious of the great disappointment and heartbreak it will cause all true and sincere lovers of Nigeria and of Nigerian unity both at home and abroad, especially our brothers in the Commonwealth.

As a result of the recent events and the other previous similar ones, I have come to strongly believe that we cannot honestly and sincerely continue in this wise, as the basis of trust and confidence in our unitary system of government has not been able to stand the test of time. I have already remarked on the issues in question. Suffice to say that, putting all considerations to test-political, economic, as well as social-the base for unity is not there or is so badly rocked, not only once but several times. I therefore feel that we should review the issue of our national standing and see if we can help stop the country form drifting away into utter destruction. With the general consensus of opinion of all the Military Governors and other members of the Supreme and Executive Council, a decree will soon be issued to lay a firm foundation of this objective. Fellow countrymen, I sincerely hope we shall be able to resolve most of the problems that have disunited us in the past and really come to respect and trust one another in accordance with an all-round code of good conduct and etiquette.

All foreigners are assured of their personal safety and should have no fear of being molested.

I intend to continue the policy laid down in the statement by the Supreme Commander on 16th January 1966 published on 26th January 1966.

We shall also honour all international treaty obligations and commitments and all financial agreements and obligations entered into by the previous government. We are desirous of maintaining good diplomatic relationships with all countries. We therefore consider any foreign interference in any form will be regarded as an act of aggression.

All members of the armed forces are requested to keep within their barracks except on essential duties and when ordered from SHQ. Troops must not terrorise the public, as such action will discredit the new National Military Government. Any act of looting or sabotage will be dealt with severely. You are to remember that your task is to help restore law and order and confidence in the public in time of crisis.

I am convinced that with your co-operation and understanding, we shall be able to pull the country out of its present predicament. I promise you that I shall do all I can to return to civil rule as soon as it can be arranged. I also intend to pursue most vigorously the question of the release of political prisoners. Fellow countrymen, give me your support and I shall endeavour to live up to expectations. Thank you.

If you quit posting craps from Nowa Omoigui and pay more attention to deductive reasoning than not, you could save us all the headache of reading junks. When did a mere Lt Col and Army Chief of Staff have the authority to sign an instrument of pardon for convicted felons in Nigeria?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 1:51am On Jun 28, 2012
Weak rebuttal.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 1:58am On Jun 28, 2012
Katsumoto: 1. Awo insisted on secession clause, it was Zik who ignored him. I will find a link

2. It is your opinion that Awo was slimy. And for your information, Awo and Akintola feud was in 1962; so how could Zik have used an incident in 1962 to form an opinion of Awo?

3. See my breakdown of election results in 1951; I dare you to produce the results which prove that Zik and NCNC won the elction

The Western house had 80 seats in total and any party with a 41 majority would have formed the government.

There were three elections for the 80 seats:
Western region elections on 24th September 1951 – 72 seats
Lagos elections on the 20th November 1951 – 5 seats (all won by NCNC)
Benin elections on the 6th of December 1951 – 3 seats (all won by Etu Edo)

Breakdown of 72 seats
AG won 38 seats including 3 won by its secretaries (Adegbenro, Hassan, and Osuntokun) who contested as independents.
Mabolaje Grand Alliance MBA (aka Ibadan Peoples Party) won 6 seats – Akinloye, Lanlehin, Akinbiyi, Akinyemi, Adelabu, and Aboderin
NCNC won 18 seats plus 7 Independent seats making 25
Ondo Improvement League won 2 seats
Adeola Odutola – Independent candidate representing Ijebu-Ode

At the end of the night on the 24th of September, 5 of the 6 MGA had declared for the AG while Adelabu declared for NCNC. Awosika of the Ondo improvement league and Adeola Odutola had both declared for the AG giving the AG 45 seats.

See official results below

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Oi0aVR4YkmUC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=1956+election+NCNC&source=bl&ots=xlo8I8O_iF&sig=jmQDabaMysM0SG7MMZI3yFZ49dg&hl=en&ei=004zTvWKL4OnsALHmdTtCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=1956%20election%20NCNC&f=false

Of the three seats in Benin won by Etu Edo, Ighodaro declared for AG while Omo-Osagie and Ekuyasi declared for NCNC.

At the end of December 1951, seats were as follows
AG – 46
NCNC/Independents 34

The Western house was inaugurated on the 7th of January 1952 and elections to the Federal House were held on the 10th of January 1952. Three members of the NCNC crossed over to the AG and these were Kessington-Momoh, Ako, and Awodi Orisaremi (all representing Urhobo/Kukuruku division in the Mid-west). None of them was Yoruba and that clearly defeats the lame and ridiculous lies that the AG, and by extension Awolowo, introduced tribal politics in Nigeria. These three crossed over because they needed AG votes to get into the Federal House. Ako and Kessington-Momoh were elected but Orisaremi lost and returned to the NCNC. These three crossed when the AG had a clear majority and had to pay fees to join the AG.

The real reason Zik resigned was because he lost that election to the Federal House. NCNC had five seats from the West and Zik couldn’t gain any of these seats losing to other NCNC members such as Fadahunsi, Olorunnimbe, Oputa-Otutu, Denis Osadebey, and Adeleke Adedoyin.

4. Thanks

5. I dare you to provide a link, book that proves Ironsi gave the order for Awo to be freed. You mean it took in excess of 3 months to effect a prisoner release?

6. The owner of the vehicle doesn't change the trajectory of the debate? So after Ojukwu released Awo, Awo started walking home and was noticed by Murtala who took pity on him and took him home? Some of you don't inject logic into your argument. If Ojukwu released Awo, why was Awo not re-arrested when he entered the Western region? It is only in the minds of those who don't understand how governments work that state that Ojukwu refusal to acknowledge means that everyone else gave a damn. Thanks to decree 34, ironically promulgated by Ironsi, all civil servants reported to Lagos regardless of location. Perhaps in your mind, after Gowon came to power, Civil servants started reporting to Ojukwu.

This is really comprehensive!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 2:00am On Jun 28, 2012
Dede1:

If you quit posting craps from Nowa Omoigui and pay more attention to deductive reasoning than not, you could save us all the headache of reading junks. When did a mere Lt Col and Army Chief of Staff have the authority to sign an instrument of pardon for convicted felons in Nigeria?

I caught you out in a BIG lie; you stated that Gowon, in his speech on the 1st of August, conceded that he had no right to exercise over the Eastern region. And now that I have posted Gowon's speech, you claim it is crap. Why is it crap? Is this not the speech in question? What deducted reasoning do you need to interprete a speech? He may have been a mere colonel to you but he was the HOS of Nigeria and he ruled Nigeria for longer than any other in Nigeria's history.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by cheikh: 2:02am On Jun 28, 2012
Shymmex
I thought you were Igbo, huh?!?!

If you're, then you're definitely one of the few Igbos on here who call it as it is.

@^^ The topic is about Awo's letter and the contents etc. That's what I hope I was drawing attention to not "tribe" or ethnic jingoism that animate and occupy our consciousness 24/7.
I am an [b]African [/b]first before anything else. That's bigger than anything we may wish to ascribe to our being. The world is about "competition/War". Can we afford to be slack and small minded whereas the rest of the world including fellow Africans are thinking "big" and following it up with positive ACTIONs for their own people?. I am not exactly enamored with Naija like most other Nigerians who make such "spurious" insincere claims about the place or "religion". I am neither Hausa/Igbo/Junkun,Zango-Kataf or Yoruba grin. Whatever I am does not/must not matter in analysing issues or sharing ideas/ conversations as a human being without prejudice. Part of our weakness as a people is that we tend to let our emotion and prejudice rule over our better judgement. We tend to forget that we are at "War" or in competition with the rest of the world who do not mean us well wink. Nigeria will perennially be a weak and hopeless "nation" in the eyes of the rest of the world and in our own eyes most importantly, because we let "mundane"(tribe) issues preoccupy our consciousness while a very tiny cynical minority loot/appropriate our so called common wealth. My brother, "truth" does not know "tribe", "colour" or whatever. It is constant and unwavering just like a flowing stream. You can only appreciate/acknowledge it or ignore it at your own peril. War can be very cruel and wicked indeed. We cannot ignore its therapeutic and liberating consequences as well, or else we loose the essence of it all in the first place. It is no wonder some of our people in both sides of the Nigerian divide tend to be very emotional instead of being "cold" eyed in looking at the issues involved in war time(s). If the Igbp were in Awo's situation/position will they behave any different? War is not beautiful and definitely not about sentiments. I guess most Africans especially Nigerians do not really know much about the science/Art of War hence the never ending crude sentiments about Awo's Actions/policy. Effective Decisions have to be made quickly and the luxury of deliberating over "deaths" etc do not matter. War is about destruction and loss of lives etc. It is not a friendly football match. It requires serious study and thinking things through before embarking on such "death wish" because war is death by choice by combatants/actors wink. I am not sentimental at all about Nigeria let alone about silly emotional tirades of individuals who know nothing about politics and War.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 2:06am On Jun 28, 2012
ACM10:

Yeah I know. The ones your grandmother kept in her library!!!

Below is the conversation i had with dede in Oct 2011 and you can read for yourself his cop-out in bold.

Dede1:

You do not need to FYI me on Yoruba dealings with the Caliphate. I know the origin of Yoruba's cowardliness whenever northern region of Nigeria is mentioned. Of course, north and Caliphate dealt with Yoruba at Ilorin and Ogbomosho.

Yeah right and we in turn eventually put paid to their hegemonic ambition at the battle of oshogbo in 1840 A.D.
Don’t you now see mr. oversabi, that I do need to Fyi to stop you running your mouth too long like a leaking tap about something you only have a snapshot of information on. It smirks of intellectual laziness to pen such erroneous opinions as above, as fact on a public forum.

I remembered a story which stated Ogbomosho was turned into Brothel by foot soldiers from Sokoto. Sometimes history tends to repeat itself.

And at other times, it doesn’t. However though, if you are so hellbent on this idea of “history repeating itself”, have you consider creating one? Go on, I dare you. Make history!!!

I belonged to the school of thought that believed NCNC won the majority of seats during 1951 regional election in western region of Nigeria.

And who gives a phock about your damn beliefs? I know the school of thought you belong to- the one under the palm tree in your nnewi village where your leaders spoonfed you outright lies about yorubas in order to cover up for their myopicness and incompetence in advancing your course. They needed a fall-guy and who better than Awo and the yorubas who have always checkmated their dumb hegemonic ambition in our region. For over half a century you guys have been going around telling all and sundry how your leader- Nnamdi Azikwe (president of the igbo union) was denied the opportunity of becoming the first premier of the western region- a region inhabited by the yorubas due to tribalism of the indigenes who introduced carpet-crossing into our nascent democracy, then. However when asked to present the election result which gave NCNC- zik’s party majority vote, you could not do so but still insist that NCNC won the election. What does that make you? A slimeball, I would say.

The records of the poll conducted in the West and all over Nigeria by the colonial administration are available at the National Archives and can be accessed by any honest researcher. Why then do you add your big (sic!) name to a statement that you cannot back up with irrefutable proof? You ibos are so determined to tarnish the yorubas reputation that you will go to any lengths to accomplish your goal, even if it involves outright lies.

However, few knuckleheads such as you believed otherwise.

Yeah, i believe in FACTS!!!

The burden of proof is on you who believed NCNC did not win the election.

Is that how you guys run things in your neck of the woods? All the more reason why you guys should just bugger off. You do not belong within a civilised nation. So in your culture one can just wake up one day and accuse his/her neighbour/enemy/ friend of pilferage/ murder etc without providing any proof whatsoever and the onus is on the indicted person to go looking for evidence/s to indicate his innocence. Gosh, you are just incorrigible. I can’t believe with all your grammar that you will expose your emptiness with such statement as above. Oh well, am not surprised as I have always known that your use of big words are just to cover up your deficient knowledgebase.

If you expect me to supply those Yoruba “orishirishi” names that won election into western regional house of assembly in 1951, you must be high on something, Bro.

meaning in ibo-speak, you do not have such info at your fingertips but that still doesn’t stop you from regurgitating the same unsubstantiated fallacious tales on a public forum like nl, hoping that eventually the “mud will stick” with continuous repetitions. In one of your posts, you claimed Zik won outright. How many seats did zik and hic NCNC party won to make you claimed he won "outright"? He needed 41 for a majority win. So how many seats did NCNC won? 50? 60? So, mr "shameless liar", do you have a figure for this your "outright win" or as per your character, its another bogus lie.

Thanks Kats, i have the result in my archives too. I knew dedinrin and his co-travellers in the bus of

abject deceit and fallacious tales can not produce their "proof" but that still doesn't stop them from regurgitating their

propaganda like its truism.To think, the ibos have been peddling this lies against the yorubas for over half a century with

no iota of proof is amazing!!!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 2:11am On Jun 28, 2012
T9ksy:

Yeah I know. The ones your grandmother kept in her library!!!

Below is the conversation i had with dede in Oct 2011 and you can read for yourself his cop-out in bold.

Thanks Kats, i have the result in my archives too. I knew dedinrin and his co-travellers in the bus of

abject deceit and fallacious tales can not produce their "proof" but that still doesn't stop them from regurgitating their

propaganda like its truism.To think, the ibos have been peddling this lies against the yorubas for over half a century with

no iota of proof is amazing!!!

It is time for Dede1 and his likes to start supporting their positions with books, links, etc because it is getting really exasperating with false and inaccurate opinions and stories being passed as facts.

ACM claimed he has to visit his town library to get results of the 1951 election shocked shocked shocked, which can be easily obtained on the web. Dede1 claimed that Gowon stated that he had no right over the Eastern region, we have seen Gowon's speech and it makes no mention of the Eastern region.

Seriously, I don't know how you guys debate in Alaigbo but that method wont cut it with the rest of the world. When you make an assertion, be ready to back it. Frankly, we don't care about your opinion; if you must debate in public, remember that there are those who will put you in check if you try to pass of opinion, fallacies, misinformation, and untruths as facts.

4 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 2:18am On Jun 28, 2012
cheikh: Shymmex

@^^ The topic is about Awo's letter and the contents etc. That's what I hope I was drawing attention to not "tribe" or ethnic jingoism that animate and occupy our consciousness 24/7.
I am an [b]African [/b]first before anything else. That's bigger than anything we may wish to ascribe to our being. The world is about "competition/War". Can we afford to be slack and small minded whereas the rest of the world including fellow Africans are thinking "big" and following it up with positive ACTIONs for their own people?. I am not exactly enamored with Naija like most other Nigerians who make such "spurious" insincere claims about the place or "religion". I am neither Hausa/Igbo/Junkun,Zango-Kataf or Yoruba grin. Whatever I am does not/must not matter in analysing issues or sharing ideas/ conversations as a human being without prejudice. Part of our weakness as a people is that we tend to let our emotion and prejudice rule over our better judgement. We tend to forget that we are at "War" or in competition with the rest of the world who do not mean us well wink. Nigeria will perennially be a weak and hopeless "nation" in the eyes of the rest of the world and in our own eyes most importantly, because we let "mundane"(tribe) issues preoccupy our consciousness while a very tiny cynical minority loot/appropriate our so called common wealth. My brother, "truth" does not know "tribe", "colour" or whatever. It is constant and unwavering just like a flowing stream. You can only appreciate/acknowledge it or ignore it at your own peril. War can be very cruel and wicked indeed. We cannot ignore its therapeutic and liberating consequences as well, or else we loose the essence of it all in the first place. It is no wonder some of our people in both sides of the Nigerian divide tend to be very emotional instead of being "cold" eyed in looking at the issues involved in war time(s). If the Igbp were in Awo's situation/position will they behave any different? War is not beautiful and definitely not about [b]sentiments. I guess most Africans especially Nigerians do not really know much about the science/Art of War hence the never ending crude sentiments about Awo's Actions/policy. Effective Decisions have to be made quickly and the luxury of deliberating over "deaths" etc do not matter. War is about destruction and loss of lives etc. It is not a friendly football match. It requires serious study and thinking things through before embarking on such "death wish" because war is death by choice by combatants/actors wink. I am not sentimental at all about Nigeria let alone about silly emotional tirades of individuals who know nothing about politics and War.

The Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, Kanuri, Benin, Nupe, etc had centuries of fighting wars with others and amongst themselves. The last Yoruba war, Kiriji, lasted 16 years. But the late comers to wars, Ndigbo, were the ones lacking in the art of war. Perhaps that was why they decided to go to war. But in any case, a rational mind would have been more cautious in making such monumental decisions. The lack of experience in organized warfare was soon laid to bare with the fall of Enugu in less than 3 months of fighting. Seriously, who puts their capital so close to the enemy? That singular mistake ensured that the Biafrans were on the backfoot for the rest of the war except for the ill-advised incursion into the mid-west.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 2:22am On Jun 28, 2012
Some very very weak rebuttal today. What happened to Dede1? I'm shocked the thread is not on page 10 yet shocked

Katsumoto, keep up the good work, very intellectual. kiss kiss
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 2:28am On Jun 28, 2012
Katsumoto:

I caught you out in a BIG lie; you stated that Gowon, in his speech on the 1st of August, conceded that he had no right to exercise over the Eastern region. And now that I have posted Gowon's speech, you claim it is crap. Why is it crap? Is this not the speech in question? What deducted reasoning do you need to interprete a speech? He may have been a mere colonel to you but he was the HOS of Nigeria and he ruled Nigeria for longer than any other in Nigeria's history.

You seemed to have issue with your facts. In the alleged Gowon speech you posted, he did not address himself as Head of State (HOS). Instead he made the public broadcast as Army Chief of Staff.

My question remains does an army chief of staff have the authority to signed an instrument of pardon for convicted felons in Nigeria? My response was to one of youe posts which indicated Gowon signed an instrument of pardon for Awolowo and others during his August 1, 1966 public broadcast.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by PhysicsQED(m): 2:30am On Jun 28, 2012
ACM10,

The 1951 tribally motivated "carpet-crossing" myth was debunked in long detail in an article called "In Defence of History" by Odia Ofeimun decades ago. It is included as an appendix to the book Awo & Nigeria (1984) by Ebenezer Babatope. Get that book from a library somewhere and read the article in its entirety at the end.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 2:35am On Jun 28, 2012
Dede1:

You seemed to have issue with your facts. In the alleged Gowon speech you posted, he did not address himself as Head of State (HOS). Instead he made the public broadcast as Army Chief of Staff.

My question remains does an army chief of staff have the authority to signed an instrument of pardon for convicted felons in Nigeria? My response was to one of youe posts which indicated Gowon signed an instrument of pardon for Awolowo and others during his August 1, 1966 public broadcast.

Quit being pedantic; whether Gowon addressed himself as HOS or not, was he not the HOS?

I never claimed that Gowon provided a pardon to Awo in his speech of the 1st August. I stated that Awo was released exactly one week after that speech. There are no stipulations that pardons must be declared publicly in speeches. You are trying to be clever and playing with words; I am not bamboozled. Did you read your post properly? The HOS, even if he addressed himself as Chief of Army staff, could not sign an instrument of pardon but Ojukwu, who was equally a Colonel and only a governor of a region could? Are you serious?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by jason123: 2:37am On Jun 28, 2012
See Katsumoto in action! Funny stuffs!!! grin grin grin grin
One day, intellectuals go plenty for NL! Right now, they are too few and far-between!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 2:38am On Jun 28, 2012
PhysicsQED: ACM10,

The 1951 tribally motivated "carpet-crossing" myth was debunked in long detail in an article called "In Defence of History" by Odia Ofeimun decades ago. It is included as an appendix to the book Awo & Nigeria (1984) by Ebenezer Babatope. Get that book from a library somewhere and read the article in its entirety at the end.

Please do not go there with you slide show. I read about on Benin dude or Edo man who was also involved in the carpet-crossing incident. Due to the Chief’s selfish indulgence, the people of Benin declared him and his family politically persona non grata in Benin till today.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by bashr8: 2:39am On Jun 28, 2012
all this ranting and posting of crap will not change the fact that awo was a convict and treasourous person maybe katsumoto can save us the headahche and take his debate to the northerners that locked him up and all other yoruba leaders up througout nigeria history plus those killed , it funny that even though the north west and east all wanted out even now the yorubas are crying for autonomy and odua rep yet they are the first to attack anything biafra or ojukwu, non of them are yet to explain on behalf of their northern masters why aburi accord was dishonoured by gowon . the same reason is why curruption have eaten up nigeria today , bunch of clowns without direction , they say one thing today and say another thing tomorrow.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 2:40am On Jun 28, 2012
Dede1:

Please do not go there with you slide show. I read about on Benin dude or Edo man who was also involved in the carpet-crossing incident. Due to the Chief’s selfish indulgence, the people Benin declared him and his family politically persona non grata in Benin till today.

You have started again with beer parlour gist; T9ksy has been waiting for your own results of the 'cross carpeting' incident for over a year now.

Please post your results or forever hold your peace.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 2:43am On Jun 28, 2012
bashr8: all this ranting and posting of crap will not change the fact that awo was a convict and treasourous person maybe katsumoto can save us the headahche and take his debate to the northerners that locked him up and all other yoruba leaders up througout nigeria history plus those killed , it funny that even though the north west and east all wanted out even now the yorubas are crying for autonomy and odua rep yet they are the first to attack anything biafra or ojukwu, non of them are yet to explain on behalf of their northern masters why aburi accord was dishonoured by gowon . the same reason is why curruption have eaten up nigeria today , bunch of clowns without direction , they say one thing today and say another thing tomorrow.

Stop posting rants and crap lol cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 2:43am On Jun 28, 2012
Katsumoto: So many ignorant people on NL; even if they are ignorant, using logic can also help in analysing a scenario.

Awo was charged with Treasonable felony in November 1962 and sentenced in September 1963

In March 1966, Awo wrote to Ironsi from prison asking to be released but was ignored by Ironsi. Between January 1966 and July 1966, Ironsi was Head of State and Ojukwu was Governor of the Eastern region.

Gowon was sworn-in in the evening of July 30 1966 but made his announcement as Head of state of August 1st.

Obafemi Awolowo was released from prison on the 8th of August 1966; exactly 1 week after Gowon's ascension. Awo was driven to Ikenne in Murtala Mohamed's car.

On the 8th of August 1966, who was paying the wages of the Warden at the Federal Prison in Calabar? Was it not Gowon? Who was also paying Ojukwu's salary as the Governor of the Eastern region?

Ojukwu wants us to believe that while he was in power with another Igbo as Head of State for 6 months, he could not release Awo from prison but could release Awo from prison exactly one week after a new government, one which he did not recognise, headed by Gowon was formed.

Ojukwu could not have released Awo from prison because he didn't have the powers to do so. He was only being an opportunist when he made that claim.

The Yoruba soldiers released by Ojukwu were released after the war started in 1967 and all stayed in Biafra to fight on the Biafran side.

What information do you expect undiscerning onlooker to draw from the above the post about the Gowon, Speech and signing of instrument of pardon for Awolowo and other?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by bashr8: 2:44am On Jun 28, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Stop posting rants and crap lol cheesy
am taken find someone else
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 2:47am On Jun 28, 2012
bashr8: am taken find someone else
Lmao!! cheesy cheesy

When big boys are talking, sit in the corner, aiight tongue

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 2:48am On Jun 28, 2012
bashr8: all this ranting and posting of crap will not change the fact that awo was a convict and treasourous person maybe katsumoto can save us the headahche and take his debate to the northerners that locked him up and all other yoruba leaders up througout nigeria history plus those killed , it funny that even though the north west and east all wanted out even now the yorubas are crying for autonomy and odua rep yet they are the first to attack anything biafra or ojukwu, non of them are yet to explain on behalf of their northern masters why aburi accord was dishonoured by gowon . the same reason is why curruption have eaten up nigeria today , bunch of clowns without direction , they say one thing today and say another thing tomorrow.

Can anyone compare this feminine rant to this intelectual post below?

Katsumoto:

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 2:49am On Jun 28, 2012
Dede1:

What information do you expect undiscerning onlooker to draw from the above the post about the Gowon, Speech and signing of instrument of pardon for Awolowo and other?

You are not Christ, stop speaking in parables? Make your point clearly and leave ambiguities to the side. You keep trying to sidetrack my argument by referring to Gowon's speech on the 1st of August when I never stated that Gowon released Awo by announcing it in his speech. Attempting to befuddle the argument does not help your position.

Can you prove the following

1. Awolowo was released before July 30th
2. It was Ojukwu's car that took Awo to Ikenne
3. Ojukwu was so strong and powerful from his base in Enugu that he prevented Gowon from re-arresting Awo once Awo left the Eastern region and arrived in the Western region
4. Ojukwu started the process of releasing Awo from prison as soon as Ojukwu became Governor but it was a coincidence that it was effected one week after Gowon became Head of State
5. Ojukwu was responsible for paying the salaries of the warden in Calabar
6. Ojukwu stopped receiving his salary from the federal government and ensured that all easterners stopped receiving their salaries as well as soon Gowon became HOS
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by demmy(m): 2:51am On Jun 28, 2012
Dede1:

When he had become the President.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK / The Bullion Vans Missed Their Way & Went To Tinubu House - Ayodele Adewale / Fashola's N78 M Scandal Trending On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.