Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Web designer newbie: Help critique this site - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web designer newbie: Help critique this site (1965 Views)

Please Help Critique Our New Website And Idea, Pour Out Your Pain Points / Im A Wapka Newbie Pls Help Wapmasters / Please.... Review this site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2005
I designed this site a while ago and just need web designers to let me know what can be done to make it better.
I ultimately wanna end up designing very professional interfaces.
Thanx
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 23, 2005
oops! Forgot the url: http://www.wisdom.esmartbiz.com
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Seun(m): 4:00pm On Apr 23, 2005
I think your site looks really beautiful! (I particularly like the smiling faces on the home pagewink)

The front page's total size according to the Web page Analyzer is 71kb, compared to 25kb for this site, for example. Try to reduce the number of images used in the design.

Consider using progressive JPEG format instead of breaking up your graphics into many small images. You probably don't need to have more than one image on a relatively simple page like /home/home.htm! Have mercy on those of us who are narrowband Internet users!

However, artistic websites like what you currently have are a good way of impressing people who want to pay you to design websites for them wink
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 25, 2005
Thanks Seun...
Well what can I say, have to learn how to tweak my my images better.
I'm currently working on Cascading Stytle Sheets for designing page layout.
Meanwhile, according to the analyzer thing, I'm supposed to keep a webpage at a size below 30k.
What if it was designed completely with flash?? Like idonthestreet.com? Folks on a dialup will never get to see anything until after a long wait.
The problem is high speed broadband in this country.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by kodewrita(m): 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2005
nice design scott. you definitely have the talent and will go a long way. Seun has said it all.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Seun(m): 5:02pm On Apr 29, 2005
The problem is high speed broadband in this country.
If you're Britney Spears and your site is a Flash site, people will wait for it to load! Fans will not say "Britney Spear's site is too slow, let me check Plantation Boyz instead." Besides, musicians are supposed to have cool sites.

But for most sites, there are alternatives. We need to do everything to encourage people to come to our sites. If you can make it load faster without any loss in quality, why not? If you can use a little CSS instead of a mat of images and it looks the same, why not?
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Nobody: 1:18am On Apr 30, 2005
cool site sha. but sometimes I get sick of all that flash stuff...that's the name right? I guess I better be saying this to oleku konko owner of www.faceoffestac.net and designer of www.idonthestreet.com and www.kennismusic.net. the flash stuff on the last two sites sucks. and as I heard if u're hoping to do well in search engine results too much flash, without an alternative way of accessing ur page ain't good.

I ain't too knowlegdeable on the webdesigning world, but I try to be informed as best as I can as an internet addict.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Seun(m): 8:18am On Apr 30, 2005
I love that guy! (Oleku Konko) As a web designer he can afford to host faceoffestac.net for free and make money by designing websites for clients that discover him through the site. I can't wait to be able to hire a professional web designer like him! Nairaland would be world class!
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by AYA: 12:13pm On May 02, 2005
@sopescott:  The site has a good look and feel. A few observations (and maybe questions)

1. Why does a new page load when I click "Enter"?
2. Another point against having heavy pages: the mobile worker who needs to access your site on the move may run into some problems

Loads well on my 9500 though. Overall, I think its a fine job.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by jogego(m): 4:19pm On May 30, 2005
First thing I noticed is that Opera told me that a pop up was blocked. I dont even bother with pop ups. If you want me to have the information, then dont use pop ups. I also design websites and cos of the security issues of recent, I try not to use pop ups to convey information. Like someone else said, use CSS to get a good feel nd too much images will make your pages load very slowly. I use broadband so speed is not an issue for me, but there are majority of internet users who still use dial up.

Another thing I notice in Nigerian websites is the profile thing.I dont know if its just me but is it really neccesarry?
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 31, 2005
Thanks Jogego for ur comment. I'm really working hard to make my sites better. Unfortunately I'm a self taught web designer and need people to let me know what isn't "conventional".
About the "Profile" thing, I also feel it's wack...
Many thanks again
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by jogego(m): 7:04pm On May 31, 2005
I dont know if this would be helpful, it sure was when I was starting off. Try and visit it and learn about the different technologies available and hey, we all started off somewhere.

http://www.w3schools.com/
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by timmy(m): 5:24pm On Jun 07, 2005
men this guy, your shakara too much. I guess you wanted us to admire your site and decided to claim to be an amature. Cos that site i saw is too tight to be the work of a novice. All the same sha ure good
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by kazey(m): 9:13pm On Jul 07, 2005
I am not really a fan of sites, that have almost 90% images. But your site looks ok. Check www.cssvault.com and you would get what i mean by a non graphical intensive site.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Chxta(m): 8:04pm On Jul 17, 2005
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by kazey(m): 9:38pm On Jul 18, 2005
That is not your design o. smiley devacenigeria.com uses the same design
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by smartsoft(m): 3:58pm On Jul 21, 2005
SBmogern website is a template site.. why can't they design from scrash, if u wanna know a good Designer.. he/she must be able to design a real good site from Scrash.

Scope site is very good.. lyke the guys layout. ain't saying Template ain't good but to a limitation.. so the world could see what u can really do.. i 4 one didn't learn alll my skills froma Computer school, but just self taught and all that.

Kazey Really gave me a Template site.. on Hosting but i just find out.. it didn't really meet up mine expectation.. didn't say the Template is not good oh but i fould out that they are limitation to what u do with Already made Template...

Bravo smiley to kazey..

Anyway thats my opnion
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Chxta(m): 5:31pm On Jul 22, 2005
I tend to beleive that templates are the future of website design, and as per the SB Morgen site, I designed the flash intro from scratch.

You want to see one I did from scratch, check nigeriannewsworld.com
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by kazey(m): 8:45pm On Jul 23, 2005
there is nothing wrong with templates, if you can buy them and customize then for your clients. Templates are not designed by aliens, they are designed by professional web designers.

the Nigeria news world, i hope u dont mind my critic. its amature,. you really need to try your hands on more basic html and css, before proceeding to images and optimizing them for the web. You also have problems with your web layout alignment, everything is just scatered, not properly position. looking for inspiration? check www.cssvault.com
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Chxta(m): 10:21pm On Jul 24, 2005
Maybe I'll send u my initial design of that. This one was chosen by the people, while I practically cried....

Of course like any good designer, I have to take the occassional criticism, how else would I improve?
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by joftech(m): 5:58pm On Jul 26, 2005
Simplicity and fucntionality is my watchword.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by smartsoft(m): 8:56pm On Jul 26, 2005
Hey guys what is the best Monitor screen is best for designing.. i used 14" and is kind of pissing me off.. have come across a guy who said 15" is good or what would u advice.. to use.. can you take a look at this website.. Done with 14" Monitor i'm not done with it though but we need your comment on it as well.. www.smartsoftlimited.com pls check and gv me feed back.
Thank
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by smartsoft(m): 8:58pm On Jul 26, 2005
Hey guys what is the best Monitor screen is best for designing.. i used 14" and is kind of pissing me off.. have come across a guy who said 15" is good or what would u advice.. to use.. can you take a look at this website.. Done with 14" Monitor i'm not done with it though but we need your comment on it as well.. www.smartsoftlimited.com pls check and gv me feed back.
Thank
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by joftech(m): 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2005
smartsoft, i don't really think you need any specific monitor size type for web development, what's important most is your screen resolution.

Take a look at the nonsense those guys that design www.waeconline.org.ng did. Best screen resolution is 800x600, me think.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by kazey(m): 10:44pm On Jul 26, 2005
I would say your screen size, does not matter in getting what you want to achieve, what matters is your refresh rates, besides thats not even much considered, as long as you follow some techniques in your designs.

You just need to make sure that when you design websites, you use stretched out layouts. Designing stretch layouts that fit any screen resolution ensures that you know all your visitors see a visually appealing and professional site. Your designs should be able to fit the screen for all resolutions when the maximized button is clicked.

To test what i mean, try out a fixed width site in all resolutions (especially higher than 1024x768) and see how empty and unprofessional it looks.

Some information you should know.
Viewer Statistics

* There are more than 40 different screen resolutions.
* 1024x768 is the most popular resolution used (getting the lions share of around 60%) followed by 1280x1024 and above (around 25%) and 800x600 (around 14%). 98% of users have 800x600 and above resolution, thus, 800x600 can be taken as the minimum resolution the site should fit (other lower resolution are seldom used).

How to go about Achieving a professional website for all resolutions

You need to use stretch layouts, and for the stretch layouts you need to give the width of the table(s) in percentage.

To make your design fit the whole screen for any resolution - You should give the outer of most table(s) 100% width. If your design can be made to have just one outer table then it can be given a height of 100% to expand and fill the browser space vertically.

To make only the content area to expand do the following. After the outer most table is given the width in percentage all inside cells should be given fixed widths in pixels except the content cell. If the content cell width is left blank the site will expand in all resolutions, however this will work well only for Internet Explorer.

For Browser compatibilities such as Netscape, the content area cell is given 99% width (this just makes sure all unfilled area is taken up by the content) and at least one cell in the fixed width columns have an image or spacer image with the given width.

If you like the fixed width concept or are forced to have a fixed width, you can give a contrasting background color and/or a shadow effect/border to the table to make it stand out. These effects can also be used along with the stretch layout concept by giving the table width as 90 or 95 percent.

I hope this information was helpful.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by smartsoft(m): 3:38pm On Jul 27, 2005
Thanks Kazeey and joftech bravo shocked
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by diAngelo(m): 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2005
sopescot you've got an excellent website here,.. no need to worry,.. I am having problems with bilding such, as my clients keep requesting for out-of-this world design. your website is cool.
were did you get the template, I would love to have it.

IM me and let's help each other out.

I design with the yahoo site builder.
you need to try it, you may like it.

Di Angelo
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by joftech(m): 11:13pm On Oct 12, 2005
I design with the yahoo site builder.
you need to try it, you may like it.

Yahoo site builder is not a pro tool. You should try and lay your hands on the following (Dreamweaver, Frontpage 2000 or later versions and Adobe GoLive) if you really want to give your clients the "out-of-this world design" they want.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by diAngelo(m): 10:43am On Oct 13, 2005
Thank you so much JofTech,.. I'll try the Adobe GoLive,.. but I know about and use dreamweaver ,.. I just figured he may like it. that's just the point, thanks anyway.
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by gbolio4(m): 3:49am On May 13, 2007
Hello bro,

Just to tell you, your website just burned-off my internet connection,

, Not that am angry though smiley

Lesson? design your sites with low-bandwidth internet connection users in mind,
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 24, 2007
i think your design is really kool i myself just started and am self taught, thats what everyone seems to say this days but anyways pls check out somethin i did lately www.xprojinternational.com tell me wat u think, i know i have to reduce the size of the graphix its kind of heavy guess i'll do that tommorrow.its still under construction though, thanks for any constructive criticism hope i spelt that right lol smiley
Re: Web designer newbie: Help critique this site by aditya5670: 8:58am On Apr 07, 2018
https://welookups.com/
use this site site tutorial

(1) (Reply)

Lease Help Me Review My Blog Before I Apply For Adsense / 100k Facebook Group And Twitter Account For Traffic For Sale / Is W3schools.com Certification Real? Help Me Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.