Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

How To Avoid Online Scams even in NAIRALAND & all over the world - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Avoid Online Scams even in NAIRALAND & all over the world (851 Views)

Start Working From Home On Fiverr...stop Wasting Time On Online Scams / Online Middle Men Services. Zero Tolerance For Online Scams / Help! I Am Tired Of Online Scams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Avoid Online Scams even in NAIRALAND & all over the world by legalwealth(m): 9:36pm On Jul 25, 2012
This is really worth sharing;

I’m sure you already know this, but for those of you who think that the world is all rainbows and sunshine – you’re wrong. We live in an age of hopes and promises, where people dream about making billions of dollars, having many girls and affording the luxuries of life.
Thankfully, we have the Internet that gives us an opportunity to get closer to our dreams. But where there is hope, there is always deceit.

There are people out there who make money by scamming people, websites, businesses; in one word – everyone. In this article we will discuss some of the scams that are happening right now and how to avoid them:
1. Fake Escrow Services When buying or selling something online (e.g., a
website, an eBay product), scammers might try to convince you to use fraudulent escrow services.
I’m not sure how people fall for that, but it happens.
Once you send the money you’ll never heard from the person or from the service again. The only way to prevent you losing money – use escrow services that actually have a good reputation (like Escrow.com). If the other party is still nagging you about using their services, just tell
them “no” and report them (unless, of course, this
service is legit). 2. Domain Names with Fake PageRank People try to sell you domains with false Google
PageRank. This is a well-known scam that makes
people lose money, but if you haven’t purchased
many domain names in the past you might not
have heard about it. What happens is, people have
a domain A with high PageRank and redirect it to a domain B with PR 0. As they do that Google will
match the PageRanks, so that when someone
checks the PR of B it will show the same number as
the PR of A. After that the scammer will sell the
domain B claiming it has a high PR, when in reality it
doesn’t. How to avoid this scam: Well, if you search for domain B in the Google search, you should see this
domain on the first position; if it’s not the case – you
are dealing with a redirect. 3. Overhyped Products People sell you overhyped products. If you are a
newbie internet marketer you tend to buy
everything that promises you mountains of gold.
The sad truth is – most products are an overhyped,
rehashed scam. Here is how you check whether a
product is solid or not: a) Never ever type in Google “Product name + scam” or “Product name + review.” Internet
marketers are optimizing their websites for exactly
these keywords. They twist this search phrase into
“Product name is maybe a scam!! Do not buy it until
you’ve read my review;” and when you start
reading their review, you will see affiliate links all over the place. b) A good strategy is to search for “Author’s name + review,” “Author’s name + scam.” You will find
much better and relevant results. c) But the best strategy is to seek out forums that are in the same niche as the product and ask
people whether it is a scam or not. Chances are that
it has already been reviewed. 4. Inflated Prices 4. People will try to sell you stuff for inflated prices.
I’ve actually seen people try to sell PR3 domains for
$70 (they had only a few backlinks and weren’t
really catchy). Here is how to avoid buying
overhyped products:
As in the previous example, it would be a good idea to ask folks on forums (Warrior Forum is the best place for such questions). 5. Stuff That Breaks Rules or The Law If a person tries to involve you into breaking any
kind of rule or law – run as fast as you can! Here is a
good example of that: Not a while back, Flippa had (and maybe still have)
a huge loophole: you could actually create several
accounts and bid on your own actions, therefore
encouraging other people to participate. Well, I
know someone (no names) who asked his friend
to bid on his auctions, and they earned a lot of money. But one day Flippa caught on their scam
and banned them. Now they both regret losing a
very precious income stream. 6. Scam Info Products If you are on a sales page and read or hear the
following things: I have a secret that guru’s don’t want you to
know… Money machine stolen from big gurus… Push button money system… Bullet proof system that is guaranteed to work… Run away from this website faster than the
roadrunner from the coyote. 7. Pay for Traffic Services Stay away from offers that promise to bring you
1000, 2000 and 10000 visitors in a short amount
of time. People are actually naïve enough to believe
that, because it’s easier to pay $5-$20 than to use
their brains. I mean, it’s obvious how this system
works: a) Traffic exchanging programs. This just a BS network where some random people have to look
at your website to get some credits. As you may
imagine, these visitors convert worse than the ones from Stumbleupon (which speaks volume)

b) They use software like Scrapeboard with installed proxies. This software is usually used to spam blogs for backlinks, but it can also be used to increase the traffic number.

8. Fake Testimonials and Screenshots Never believe testimonials and Clickbank screenshots.
It’s easy to buy these testimonials on Fiverr for $5. Even video testimonials are easily available these days!

But what’s most scary is that you can create your own Clickbank screenshots.

Here is a video of how a dude did it in Photoshop:
There are a lot of ways how people can scam you out of your money. The methods described here are just the tip of the iceberg. It’s only up to you to stay smart and vigilante.

If you are unsure whether you are being scammed, visit this website:http:// scam.com/ This forum has a lot of information and helpful members that can answer your questions. My only advice would be: use your common sense and do not trust anyone, unless you’ve verified their
credentials.

Goodluck
Re: How To Avoid Online Scams even in NAIRALAND & all over the world by Loveaflame(m): 10:38pm On Jul 25, 2012
Thanks a lot for your article.I have been a victim also until I learnt the hard way.God bless you.
Re: How To Avoid Online Scams even in NAIRALAND & all over the world by legalwealth(m): 2:43am On Jul 26, 2012
Loveaflame: Thanks a lot for your article.I have been a victim also until I learnt the hard way.God bless you.

Sorry about that I think that this helps better.

(1) (Reply)

Recharge Card Business / Whats D Diference Between Naira Mastercard & Dollar Mastercard(domicillary Acct) / Secrets Of Making Money Online Revealed!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.