Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,446 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security (838 Views)

? / Drop Your Skype Username Lets Talk Jare: / ~~~> Skype <~~~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security by samfibby(m): 1:27pm On Jul 26, 2012
For folks in the corporate and leisure world who basked in the euphoria of making peer-peer calls via skype, microsoft just broke the bad news. Since it has aqcuired skype, microsoft intends to route all its voice call data through its servers, thereby exposing it to third party attack. I wonder what microsoft is turning into. It claims it was in line with US government request angry tongue. Damn, those ass swedish, how could they. No more encreption on your call, some lazy ass fbi could as well be listening to your intimate calls between u and your girlfriend here in nigeria, while they shew popcorn and laugh their butt off.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/24/tech/web/skype-surveillance/index.html
Re: Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security by Maleeq(m): 3:23pm On Jul 26, 2012
samfibby: For folks in the corporate and leisure world who basked in the euphoria of making peer-peer calls via skype, microsoft just broke the bad news. Since it has aqcuired skype, microsoft intends to route all its voice call data through its servers, thereby exposing it to third party attack. I wonder what microsoft is turning into. It claims it was in line with US government request angry tongue. Damn, those ass swedish, how could they. No more encreption on your call, some lazy ass fbi could as well be listening to your intimate calls between u and your girlfriend here in nigeria, while they shew popcorn and laugh their butt off.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/24/tech/web/skype-surveillance/index.html
@bolded
Where else would they route the service through? Logically, from the acquisition of Skype, the servers belong to them! It would do you good to know that the service still runs off a linux based infrastructure. But trust the keyboard savvy bloggers who think bashing Microsoft is still trendy to cook up a conspiracy built upon the mild case of paranoia and instill fear for the service now.

With the acquisition, naturally, new rules would/could come into play but saying "no more encryption" as you say is absolutely false.

Please read up on this links and I hope you get to understand what this "conspiracy" is about:
Microsoft-Skype Snooping Accusations
No, Microsoft Skype Isnt Playing Big Brother
Re: Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security by samfibby(m): 5:45pm On Jul 26, 2012
when did forbes become keyboard savvy blogger. Please.....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/07/22/its-terrifying-and-sickening-that-microsoft-can-now-listen-in-on-all-my-skype-calls/

Linux based infrastructure or not, the major attraction to skype was its well fortified vpn like peer to peer security. Microsoft could have as well acquired other companys that offered same service at a lower price, but 4 $8.5billion, the techworld knew there was something fishy. There certainly is a conspiracy going on for microsoft to give up its main attraction for security reason, that is certainly very un-american if u understand what i mean. ISPs all over the world have been unable to bypass the security cause the byte string its packets generate change every 1000ms, and microsoft is giving that up without a fight. Tell me they were handtwisted by uncle sam and i will believe it. Watch out for reactions in the next few days.
Re: Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security by samfibby(m): 6:10pm On Jul 26, 2012
mumble, here i come.
Re: Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security by Maleeq(m): 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2012
samfibby: when did forbes become keyboard savvy blogger. Please.....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/07/22/its-terrifying-and-sickening-that-microsoft-can-now-listen-in-on-all-my-skype-calls/

Linux based infrastructure or not, the major attraction to skype was its well fortified vpn like peer to peer security. Microsoft could have as well acquired other companys that offered same service at a lower price, but 4 $8.5billion, the techworld knew there was something fishy. There certainly is a conspiracy going on for microsoft to give up its main attraction for security reason, that is certainly very un-american if u understand what i mean. ISPs all over the world have been unable to bypass the security cause the byte string its packets generate change every 1000ms, and microsoft is giving that up without a fight. Tell me they were handtwisted by uncle sam and i will believe it. Watch out for reactions in the next few days.
@bolded
thats the blogger dude! Go through the contributors listing page and you'd understand even you can post onto Forbes. Because its on Forbes, opinionated by a contributor doesn't mean its without flaws. Did you read the comments on the link you provided? I don't think so. Go back and read the one by Jon Lee. Infact, let me quote him here:

What’s so terrifying and sickening about this? Every telecommunications provider you’ve been using has been required to do the same since 1994. In 1994 the Feds passed CALEA (Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act) that requires all US-based communications carriers, including internet providers and Voice-over-IP providers to be compliant with CALEA. By purchasing Microsoft’s purchasing of Skype inevitably forces it to become CALEA compliant. You don’t care that your phone company and ISP have the ability to wiretap you… why should you care that Skype does as well? It’s not as if Microsoft WANTS to eavesdrop. But rest assured, if a target of interest to the Feds is discovered to have a Skype account, you can bet your bottom dollar that MS will be handed a warrant – so like it or not, it’s in MS’s best interest for Skype to be CALEA compliant. If you don’t like it, then quit yer bitchin’ and stop using Skype.
source: Jon Lee

Microsoft already filed for patents for its method of "silent snooping" data about 2years before the Skype acquisition. Skype isn't natively an American firm (Sweden/Denmark). Microsoft's acquisition made it American and its bound by the CALEA as stated above. And really, with Skype's over 500million users (bigger than several combine phone company user listing) making "untap-able" calls, its only a matter of time before it succumbed to the law.
Re: Microsoft Dismantles Skype Security by samfibby(m): 4:37pm On Jul 27, 2012
Tell me america is not gradually becoming china? Best democracy in the world my foot.

(1) (Reply)

Alt + Cntrl+del Was A Mistake Says Bill Gate / For Sale Hp Dv9000 Fairly Use (photos) 30k / Need Unlocking Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.