Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,057 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? (11502 Views)

FG Makes The Following Subjects Compulsory In Every School In The Country / Anambra Takes First Position In Schools Debate / Mathematics Should Not Be Compulsory For Some Subject- Waec Boss Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by acidtalk: 7:34pm On Jul 26, 2012
Couple of years back religious studies; Islamic religious Knowledge (IRK) or Bible Knowledge (BK) were made compulsory the Nigerian School curriculum from primary up to Junior Secondary School (JSS).

Aside Mathematics and English Language, one is expected to pass one of those subjects as well as it was made to appear a compulsory subject.

Then (that generation), Moral values were held up in high esteem. People respected their parents, siblings, neighbors and elderly ones.

Children stood up for elders to sit, they never spoke without taking permission when an elder was speaking and above all they dressed morally right.

After the Government refused to make religious knowledge compulsory, things have totally gone bizarre in the Society. Even missionary schools and church owned university aren't helping matters as most of them are all out to make Profit without caring much about instiling discipline and the fear of God into their students.

The question now is; Should religious studies be made compulsory in Nigerian Educational System?[right][/right]
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 26, 2012
Why should it? It's got no bearing on one's later endeavours, is it? And btw, which are you gonna enforce? Islam in the south or Christianity in the north? Smh @ religious fanatics. Nigeria is ranked the most religious country in the world. Where has that gotten us?

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by acidtalk: 9:49pm On Jul 26, 2012
SimonAndal: Why should it? It's got no bearing on one's later endeavours, is it? And btw, which are you gonna enforce? Islam in the south or Christianity in the north? Smh @ religious fanatics. Nigeria is ranked the most religious country in the world. Where has that gotten us?

If you schooled in Nigeria and not younger than 30years you will remember vividly that in those days no one forces you to choose a religious studies. You go for the one that best suits you. Except of course if you attended a christianity or Islamic missionary school, then you will have to practise the religion of the owners of the school.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by acidtalk: 10:17am On Oct 23, 2012
The laevel at which Nigeria is going, I think religious studies should be made compulsory.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Afam4eva(m): 1:23pm On Oct 24, 2012
acidtalk: The laevel at which Nigeria is going, I think religious studies should be made compulsory.
Isn't Nigeria a very religious country as it is? How has that changed anything?

5 Likes

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by plaetton: 1:25pm On Oct 24, 2012
Lets do a simple comparison between Nigeria and another country, any country, that does not offer compulsory religious studies in their elementary and junior secondary school curriculum and see for our selves what noticeable difference we can learn.

Let's use such indices as crime rate, murder rate, corruption,honesty, tolerance and peaceful coexistence, terrorism, capital flight, patroitism, even productivity,etc.

So, Acidtalk, please choose any country of your choice and let us use these benchmarks to compare and perhaps see whether there is indeed any measurable value to be gained in having or keeping religious studies as a compulsory part of our education curriculum.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 24, 2012
It shouldnt... But christian is good
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Standing5(m): 1:29pm On Oct 24, 2012
I don't whether it should be made compulsory but it should be made available always for those who want it there.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by gator666: 1:34pm On Oct 24, 2012
The very day school my kids attend make religious studies compulsory, they won't see me or my kids again.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Ene101(m): 1:40pm On Oct 24, 2012
Yes,it should be made compulsory. In fact,i studied Christian Religious Studies at the university and would be going for my masters degree very soon.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Techwriter: 1:43pm On Oct 24, 2012
I would have said yes. Bt I remembered a religious sect that would hijack the opportunity to groom some people in the art of violence. Let Churches do their home work very well. When a church preaches and teaches the right thing families will be transformed and this kids will carry God to their schools and transform their classmates and our society will change. If churches do their home work very well, more NGOs will sprout up helping students and evangelising in the process. That's how missionaries reached us in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by tevinsolt: 1:57pm On Oct 24, 2012
only important once with historical figures and not myth should be allowed......it allows for different world views
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Pharoh: 2:13pm On Oct 24, 2012
I would prefer if it is totally abolished from the school system from pre-school up to the university. When we were growing up it was subjects like social studies and moral instructions that shaped our good behavior and not any religious studies.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by goofie: 2:19pm On Oct 24, 2012
gator_666: The very day school my kids attend make religious studies compulsory, they won't see me or my kids again.

wld dt be enuff 2 pull them out if its a really good school?
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by gator666: 2:26pm On Oct 24, 2012
If it is really good school... well... Define a good school first.

Schools should not brainwash kids. Secondly, whatever is in the curriculum at the point where I sign the contract, should not be changed without my written approval.

It is okay by me to teach kids about various aspects of religion, but it will in my opinion never be ok to make it compulsory. An alternative must be given. One could say that we have christianity and islam. But how about buddhists, shintoists, jews etc? For that reason, I prefer my kids to go to school to gain knowledge, not to be indoctrinated. Mind you, I would react probably the same way if they make it compulsory to teach kids there is no god (or something like that).

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by jamace(m): 3:11pm On Oct 24, 2012
Teaching of religious studies is one thing and doing what you have learnt is another. The issue is not of being religious but that of exhibiting good morals. Our present crop of leaders did compulsory religious studies in their days at school but what do we have from them today? Corruption, corruption and more corruption.

What we have in the society today is evidence of leadership failure. Compulsory religious studies is not the way out of this present rot. Only good leadership, good morals and accoutability by the leaders will return us to the good old ways.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by haryola(m): 3:12pm On Oct 24, 2012
undecidedI dont think it should continue....because chistian do goes to church on sunday to learn more about bible and pray....and muslim also goes to mousque and they even do pray everyday...xo i think it should be cancelled
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by enioladeran: 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2012
YES! YES! AND YES.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by salafiyy: 3:23pm On Oct 24, 2012
since man can not be seperated from His Lord (creator), so religious studies should be made compulsory because that is what leads man to His Lord (creator)
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by tunnytox(m): 3:24pm On Oct 24, 2012
HE'LL NO!!! Religion has done enough damage to psyche of an average Nigerian already...

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by NAIRA25(m): 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2012
tunnytox: HE'LL NO!!! Religion has done enough damage to psyche of an average Nigerian already...
I AGREE WITH YOu
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by redsun(m): 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2012
What the poster is describing as morals and respects are the factors that have kept nigerian youths subdued mentally.Their zombie like state in the name of "obedience" has blinded them to the ills of the socaled elders that are the bane of their futureless destinies.

A generation that is in no way different from almajiris and madrassa products,except that they dont blow themselves up with bombs because they dont have the guts.No guts to live and no guts to die.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 24, 2012
A big fat NO. They teach crap anyway in schools. Parents should take care of that, they are responsible for their kids.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by EvilBrain1(m): 4:24pm On Oct 24, 2012
As long as OWRS, GMRK and DWRS (Orunmila Worship Religious Studies, Guru Maraji Religious Knowledge and Devil Worship Religious Studies) are included, I don't have a problem with it.

2 Likes

Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by sexyverah(f): 4:30pm On Oct 24, 2012
nigeria is already a raligion fanatic country.. so what is remaining to compulsory again?
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by tpia5: 4:37pm On Oct 24, 2012
religious studies is no longer compulsory in nigerian schools?

that explains a lot.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by dnative(m): 4:42pm On Oct 24, 2012
No. Science should be instead.
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by alausasamuel: 4:55pm On Oct 24, 2012
Yes. It should be made compulstory as english and mathematics. Lack of religious moral instruction is leaving a vacume in the heart of our children where satan hides
Re: Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools? by acidtalk: 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2012
tpia@:
religious studies is no longer compulsory in nigerian schools?

that explains a lot.

Where have you been?

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Open Letter To All Existing And Prospective Nigerian Undergraduates / ABU ZARIA’S 40th Convocation To Hold 24th And 25th November / Summit University, Offa Inauguration And Maiden Matriculation Ceremonies (Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.