Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? (807 Views)

How Exams Are Written In Covenant University / Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? / Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 26, 2012
According to wiki: Standard written English refers to the preferred form of English as it is written according to prescriptive authorities associated with publishing houses and schools.
Meaning to some extent, there are standards to be followed whilst writing English. We were taught some of these in school, but now that we have yahoo messenger, Gtalk, facebook, text messaging and the 'almighty' BB tops the list, things are falling out of standard and order.

Im not claiming a written English genius but to some extent we should try to write legibly. You'll read some comments/posts and feel like smashing your screen. Incohenrency + 'crazy' shorthand typing and other internet jargons that kills the interest of readers/followers of the thread.

Not only on NL but on virtually all social sites.

what's ur take on this?
Is it like a trend that's ok?
Can we blame this on the social sites wholly or partly on the fallen standard of education?

I read a post somewhere by a unilag student during the name change saga.
'unilag for live' when students doesnt know the difference between 'live' and 'life'

smh
Re: Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by bisi16(m): 9:30pm On Jul 26, 2012
You are so on point. Sometimes I even find it difficult writing pure English. I'm gradually changing the shorthand stuff abeg.. Haba!
Re: Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 26, 2012
bisi16: You are so on point. Sometimes I even find it difficult writing pure English. I'm gradually changing the shorthand stuff abeg.. Haba!
pple might not know the harm in such habit till when they have to write on a formal note then they'll realize.

like writing exam, application letter, project etc
Re: Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by hakunajay(m): 6:50am On Jul 27, 2012
Imagine, someone typing 'hy' instead of 'hi', all in the name of shorthand...
Re: Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 27, 2012
hakunajay: Imagine, someone typing 'hy' instead of 'hi', all in the name of shorthand...
This is not even shorthand na bad hand. both words has 2 letters hi and hy
Re: Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by hakunajay(m): 1:48pm On Jul 27, 2012
toba: This is not even shorthand na bad hand. both words has 2 letters hi and hy

my point exactly!
Re: Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:53am On Jul 29, 2012
Social Networking sites are a contributing factor IMO. . . . .
Re: Are Social Networking Sites To Blame For People's Poor Written ENGLISH? by bola4dprec(m): 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]to
spend more time chattering away with friends than
actually studying for a test or working on an
assignment? Another reason why social networking is not
beneficial: exercise helps the mind. If the students are indoors using their computers or laptops to
social network, they are neither studying nor
exercising: the two things that may help academic
performance.[i]to
beneficial: exercise helps the mind. If the students are indoors using their computers or laptops to
performance.[/i]to
performance.

(1) (Reply)

The Punch: Strike Paralyses Activities In Unilorin / Ogun sacks University, TASUED, Vice Chancellor / Common Mistakes All Jambites Should Avoid During Registeration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.