Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,455 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line (12390 Views)

FG Included Lagos-calabar Rail In 2016 Budget - Gbenga Ashafa / The Removal Of The Lagos-Calabar Rail: Ben Murray-Bruce Reacts On Twitter / Where Were Niger-Delta Senators & Reps When Lagos Calabar Rail Was Removed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by mukina2: 6:56am On Jul 31, 2012

BRACED Holds Lagos-Calabar Railway Line Discussions

Discussions for the initiation of the the construction of Lagos-Calabar rail line, also known as the West-East rail, has been initiated in Cross Rivers state.

The meeting made up of commissioners for Transport from 17 states of the South-West, South-East and South-South, met to discuss about a rail that will cut across the south-west, south-east and the south-south states in Nigeria.

The meeting was convened by the BRACED(Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Edo and Delta) Commission.

In a communiqué issued after the meeting, participants affirmed the importance of the West-East rail line as part of the national development agenda to improve mass transportation in Nigeria.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/42029-states-initiate-lagos-calabar-rail-to-boost-economy
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by tchaik(m): 7:08am On Jul 31, 2012
Nice one!

They will now set up a committee to look into it!

angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by kokoA(m): 7:27am On Jul 31, 2012
tchaik: Nice one!

They will now set up a committee to look into it!

angry angry angry angry angry angry
and another committee that will review the work of that comittee and report to a comittee of governors drawn from the affected states grin

5 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by kettykin: 9:25am On Jul 31, 2012
mukina2:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/42029-states-initiate-lagos-calabar-rail-to-boost-economy

My thinking is that a Deep sea Port in Ibaka will be sufficient enough , no need for a rail link that will carry good from Lagos to Calabar when a Calabar port is not dredged. after calabar and Akwaibom Port are dredgedand operative then and only then should the rail link be considered
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Afam4eva(m): 9:48am On Jul 31, 2012
This is a good initiative.

Which states will the rail line be passing through?
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Okijajuju1(m): 9:52am On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva: This is a good initiative.

Which states will the rail line be passing through?

Useless initiative...

Calabar is a dead town.. They dont need a railway line when they have Calabar port lying dormant and highly under utilized and maintained. I served in Calabar and worked for NIMASA. If you see the report of shipping activities in calabar port for 6 months, thats what comes into Tin Can and Apapa port in 1 week..

I'm not saying a rail line isnt good or needed, however, if its for transporting goods, then I suggest they revamp Calabar port and divert many ships to go there.

1 Like

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by edoyad(m): 9:59am On Jul 31, 2012
Some of you are speaking like the only thing that connects Lagos to other parts of the country is imported goods. Don't people and Locally produced goods move around too?

6 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Okijajuju1(m): 10:21am On Jul 31, 2012
edoyad: Some of you are speaking like the only thing that connects Lagos to other parts of the country is imported goods. Don't people and Locally produced goods move around too?

Sadly, the Rail is for economic gains and the Shipping would bring more money than the trains would.. Calabar needs investors and the sea needs to be opened up.]
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Idokojimmy: 10:26am On Jul 31, 2012
This deserves commendation. We pray that the parties involved expedite actions, as this will go along way in solving lingering transport wahala, and reduce the rate of accidents recorded on our highways.
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by owo(m): 10:48am On Jul 31, 2012
Will ethnic jingoists allow ship diversion to work?

Vessels transporting cars were once diverted to Calabar and Port Harcourt to keep the ports active, and suddenly the cry of "plot to strangulate one region's economy" rent the air. The sympathetic presidency of the time, reversed the order, and pronto, the nation was back to the old order of relying on a single dual carriage way for evacuation of most of the imports. I wonder why they did not use sand bags to block all other ports, so that those in the Lagos area can be happy.

What a country!!!

11 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Afam4eva(m): 10:51am On Jul 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

Useless initiative...

Calabar is a dead town.. They dont need a railway line when they have Calabar port lying dormant and highly under utilized and maintained. I served in Calabar and worked for NIMASA. If you see the report of shipping activities in calabar port for 6 months, thats what comes into Tin Can and Apapa port in 1 week..

I'm not saying a rail line isnt good or needed, however, if its for transporting goods, then I suggest they revamp Calabar port and divert many ships to go there.

This is not a Lagos-Calabar thing. It involves all thev states and cities in between the two cities.

1 Like

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Okijajuju1(m): 10:51am On Jul 31, 2012
owo: Will ethnic jingoists allow ship diversion to work?

Vessels transporting cars were once diverted to Calabar and Port Harcourt to keep the ports active, and suddenly the cry of "plot to strangulate one region's economy" rent the air. The sympathetic presidency of the time, reversed the order, and pronto, the nation was back to the old order of relying on a single dual carriage way for evacuation of most of the imports. I wonder why they did not use sand bags to block all other ports, so that those in the Lagos area can be happy.

What a country!!!

GBAM!!

Do you know that thing is still talked about in the Calabar office till tomorrow.

Dont mind them,! Babylons

1 Like

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Boazizzy08: 10:54am On Jul 31, 2012
It's commendable.but I see that a project that is yet to take off has started receiving criticism...NIGERIANS !.
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by 401kk: 10:54am On Jul 31, 2012
Idle commissioners. As long as it is not a federal government initiative or project, then it is nothing but a pipe dream.
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by ebamma(m): 10:55am On Jul 31, 2012
i pray that this will not be another pipeline to siphon funds and loot the treasury
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by billante(m): 10:59am On Jul 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

Sadly, the Rail is for economic gains and the Shipping would bring more money than the trains would.. Calabar needs investors and the sea needs to be opened up.]

Its not about calabar u mooron!! Calabar is just d end point of d rail line....there lots of states d rail line should pass tru, transporting both goods and people! And am sure south east will like to key in into the project, like having an arm of d rail line diverted at somewhere at edo or delta then moving towards anambra imo abia rivers then join the rail again to end at calabar.

I think they should make this a speed train line so dat people can live at east or south and be coming to work at lagos or transact business and go back d same day! Thereby reducing the mass exodus to lagos and deconjesting d city.

5 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Okijajuju1(m): 11:02am On Jul 31, 2012
billante:

Its not about calabar u mooron!! Calabar is just d end point of d rail line....there lots of states d rail line should pass tru, transporting both goods and people! And am sure south east will like to key in into the project, like having an arm of d rail line diverted at somewhere at edo or delta then moving towards anambra imo abia rivers then join the rail again to end at calabar.

I think they should make this a speed train line so dat people can live at east or south and be coming to work at lagos or transact business and go back d same day! Thereby reducing the mass exodus to lagos and deconjesting d city.

Good point but did you have to curse at me?!

Okay! No problem.

I shall retaliate!
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by billante(m): 11:42am On Jul 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

Good point but did you have to curse at me?!

Okay! No problem.

I shall retaliate!

grin oh sorry! I just woke up at d wrong side of d bed

1 Like

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 31, 2012
Have they talked about the funding? What about the legal issues? Right of way? Geological surveys? Management of the railway? Personnel/labour force requirements? Sharing of revenues from the railway? How long will it take? Compensation of affected communities?

Please let me know when you're serious.

2 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by jason123: 11:51am On Jul 31, 2012
HNosegbe: Have they talked about the funding? What about the legal issues? Right of way? Geological surveys? Management of the railway? Personnel/labour force requirements? Sharing of revenues from the railway? How long will it take? Compensation of affected communities?

grin grin grin
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by billante(m): 11:55am On Jul 31, 2012
HNosegbe: Have they talked about the funding? What about the legal issues? Right of way? Geological surveys? Management of the railway? Personnel/labour force requirements? Sharing of revenues from the railway? How long will it take? Compensation of affected communities?

Didn't u read they are having meetings and sessions!! Or do u think they gather just to talk about how good their wives were last nite

6 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
billante:

Didn't u read they are having meetings and sessions!! Or do u think they gather just to talk about how good their wives were last nite

Like I said, they should let me know when they're serious. Building a railway is not drinking palmy, it's a job for serious folks. Let them demonstrate their seriousness.

1 Like

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by Kobojunkie: 12:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
I hope it does not end up another paper initiative. The Nation needs to be more connected than it is today.

2 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by jason123: 12:11pm On Jul 31, 2012
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by kettykin: 12:49pm On Jul 31, 2012
billante:

Your Observations are quite interesting except you did not build in certain logic in your thinking.
Would it be proper moving goods from Lagos down to the Easterns states of Abia, Imo , Anambra Rivers or would it be easier to do a Dredging of the Already built ports in PH and Calabar and building a rail link from Calabar down to the SE and other SS or from PH and Ibaka down to other States.

How about Transporting goods up north to the North Eastern States and Benue, Plateau / Taraba axis how do they stand to benefit from the highly myopic East - West rail link.

The construction of Rail line is a highly capital intensive project Nigeria can not do except with Borrowed funds.
In the Interim a Deep Sea Port in Ibaka will generate some Revenue for the country to pursue this dream as well as improve economy scale in maritime business in Nigeria.

The Problem of having all the Ports in 1 Local Government area Apapa will be felt when Nigeria is under a threath of war from another country in which case all a small country like Cameroun need do is to send 2 jets fighters to bomb Apapa warf and the roro ports out of existence to make Nigeria a port less country before descending on the % Armoured Divisions scattered all over the country

3 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by kettykin: 12:52pm On Jul 31, 2012
This rail line as high as it sounds , is another unncessary waste of useful capital just like Ajaokuta Steel, the money should be invested in Ibaka Seaport, Calabar Seaport and PH sea Port, this will bring about diversification of Nigeria's Maritime Economy and also a fall back option if Apapa is under attack
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by gramci: 1:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
Southern Governor gather to discuss development, their Northern colleague gather to discuss power. No wonder poverty is endemic up there.

10 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by billante(m): 1:08pm On Jul 31, 2012
kettykin: This rail line as high as it sounds , is another unncessary waste of useful capital just like Ajaokuta Steel, the money should be invested in Ibaka Seaport, Calabar Seaport and PH sea Port, this will bring about diversification of Nigeria's Maritime Economy and also a fall back option if Apapa is under attack

Both the deep seaports and rail lines are needed to be constructed and running, there by having backups in case of one encountering problems... that's how u know a developed country...the calabar-lagos rail should be more of passanger train that's why I said the rail line should be a speed train...all are needed, being a top 20 developed country is not for kids...nigeria have d population to utilize all d facilities....some american cities have three airports, build dat in nigeria and they will say it s a waste! But they want to be in d top 20 economy by 2020

2 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by kettykin: 1:35pm On Jul 31, 2012
The point is that in order of priority considering the paucity of funds and limited life of the Administration , the needful thing is to commit the resource in to deepening the Already constructed sea ports in PHand Calabar , rather than start another tail spin project that sounds very good but no body can determine how it will end.

The Ibaka and Calabar Sea port will in a long way reduce the number of East west transpotation carrying goods on heavy duty trailer there by increasing the life span of the Lagos Asaba expressway , it will also decongest the Oshodi Apapa express way leaving the roads intact for the use of Lagosians, it will go along way to free up estates in Satellite town , Festac, Apapa, Coconut, Ajegunle as most of the Igbos and other Maritime workers living and doing business in those locations will move to Ibaka , Aba, PH, an Calabar , this will go along way to preserve the live of other infratsture in Lagos like 3rd mainland bridge which is presently undergoing repairs , reduce the carnage on the Lagos Asaba expressway leaving the route free for non commercial travellers e.t.c

3 Likes

Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by billante(m): 2:03pm On Jul 31, 2012
kettykin: The point is that in order of priority considering the paucity of funds and limited life of the Administration , the needful thing is to commit the resource in to deepening the Already constructed sea ports in PHand Calabar , rather than start another tail spin project that sounds very good but no body can determine how it will end.

The Ibaka and Calabar Sea port will in a long way reduce the number of East west transpotation carrying goods on heavy duty trailer there by increasing the life span of the Lagos Asaba expressway , it will also decongest the Oshodi Apapa express way leaving the roads intact for the use of Lagosians, it will go along way to free up estates in Satellite town , Festac, Apapa, Coconut, Ajegunle as most of the Igbos and other Maritime workers living and doing business in those locations will move to Ibaka , Aba, PH, an Calabar , this will go along way to preserve the live of other infratsture in Lagos like 3rd mainland bridge which is presently undergoing repairs , reduce the carnage on the Lagos Asaba expressway leaving the route free for non commercial travellers e.t.c

ye
kettykin: The point is that in order of priority considering the paucity of funds and limited life of the Administration , the needful thing is to commit the resource in to deepening the Already constructed sea ports in PHand Calabar , rather than start another tail spin project that sounds very good but no body can determine how it will end.

yes you have valid points and making brain(sic).....but remember this is a state's initiative....the ports issue is a federal responsibility! so they should handle their responsibilty...u cant tell fashola not to build lekki airport just because federal govt is under utilizing and messing up MMIA!
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by basher(m): 2:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
kokoA: and another committee that will review the work of that comittee and report to a comittee of governors drawn from the affected states grin

And another committee to appraise the result that the review committee did on the initial committee.
Re: Southern States To Construct Lagos-Calabar Rail Line by omayyi: 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Don't Let Buhari Use You Again - PDP Warns Tinubu / Tribunal Upholds Yahaya Bello's Election / Private Sector To Take Over Abuja, Lagos Stadia Soon – Dalung

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.