Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled (2630 Views)

Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! / 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by chaidofx(m): 1:09pm On Jul 31, 2012
Hello Nairalanders,
I have an issue with my car and I'm seriously soliciting for solutions to this problem. I use a Honda Accord '98 model (Baby boy)which happens to be a V6 engine. Lately, I have encountered that the vehicle smokes a lot and my mechanic has advised that i change the engine completely as it may not be possible to overhaul it. One or two other persons have confirmed this info and it bothers me a lot cos of the cost of getting a new one and also getting a good one at that. Please I need to know if a six cylinder engine can really be overhauled or not and what are the implications of further usage of the engine in its bad state. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 31, 2012
Any engine can be rebuilt - from a single cylinder to a 16 cylinder engine. I would say you need to ditch your "mechanic", and take your car to a reputable garage.

Ony difference between 4 and 6 cylinder rebuild is two or four more of parts required.
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by chaidofx(m): 5:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
Siena: Any engine can be rebuilt - from a single cylinder to a 16 cylinder engine. I would say you need to ditch your "mechanic", and take your car to a reputable garage.

Ony difference between 4 and 6 cylinder rebuild is two or four more of parts required.

Thanks homie. I really appreciate Чoυя input. Atleast I know that I Ђåvε̲̣ anoda option.
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by steffans(m): 10:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
What makes d car smoke..a frnd of mine dat was driving behind me some tym bck told me dat my car was smoking..and I was on speed lane..wandering why is dat?..I drive a 2000 Model Hennesey!(Baby Boy) EX
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 31, 2012
steffans: What makes d car smoke..a frnd of mine dat was driving behind me some tym bck told me dat my car was smoking..and I was on speed lane..wandering why is dat?..I drive a 2000 Model Hennesey!(Baby Boy) EX

What color is the smoke? Blue, black or white?
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by chaidofx(m): 5:40pm On Aug 01, 2012
White smoke
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 01, 2012
chaido_fx: White smoke

White smoke is actually steam, and would suggest a blown cylinder head gasket, a cracked cylinder head, or worse case scenario, a cracked block.

1 Like

Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by steffans(m): 8:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
Siena:

What color is the smoke? Blue, black or white?

black ooo...but not consistent..sometyms white undecided
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by mastro: 9:14am On Aug 04, 2012
Siena: Any engine can be rebuilt - from a single cylinder to a 16 cylinder engine. I would say you need to ditch your "mechanic", and take your car to a reputable garage.

I agree, you need a competent mechanic, at which point you will find out that half the problems with your car are being caused by people who don't know what they are doing.
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by onyeka205(m): 12:10am On Aug 05, 2012
My car had the same problem and has now been put in order by my mechanic
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by Areaboy2(m): 12:25pm On Aug 05, 2012

Agreed

But with these mid range performance engine, Aluminium blocks are always the norm. People tend to call them "sealed" engines cos of this relatively soft metal used.
The problem with that is worn out threads for the engine block and when that happens, mechanics in Nigeria will "pack" the threads in a hope to achieve a tight fit. Sadly they never do and before too long, compression issues will pop out and kill the engine even further.

At OP, I'm sorry to say but your mechanic might be right (under Nigerian circumstance). No point trying to fix it because you will be back to the same issue in a few months.

I know this cos I used to drive an 05 accord V6 back in 2009. Was driving from ph to abj powering my v6 engine with ease past almost everyone (except one pesky bmw lol)and on the last leg of my journey (between Lokoja and abuja), engine died. Tried everything but no hope and i was stranded in the middle of no where with 2hrs of sunlight left.

Anyway, before I bore you with my adventure of that day. It turned out that a screw holding one pulley connected to the timing belt had snapped and the entire timing belt system grounded to a halt. since this system is covered near the engine, I had no idea. Tried a million times to get my car going without realising i was fcking up my valves (since timing was gone).

Long story short, car was towed two days later to my mechanic in abj. He opted to replace the top cylinder and that's when I learnt all i do about Aluminium blocks and the stress they pose for such repairs. Well, they managed to improvise and get the top to "seal" and my car never felt the same again sad. The gearbox died shortly after that, and 8 months down the line, same thing happened again in a different way (pulley again). this time My engine was completely worn out from the 8 months struggling.

End of the day, got a new engine and like magic the car was back to life. sadly the gearbox had other ideas.

I know it is difficult to cough up a huge chunk of money for engine. I think the babyboy engine will prolly be around the 140k mark (im sure this will be less cos this figure was from a couple of years now). Manage the car as much as u can and save up for a new engine, you'll be happy u did

2 Likes

Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by chaidofx(m): 8:02am On Aug 06, 2012
@Area boy: Quite an experience άnϑ thanks for sharing. I think I'm gradually having same problem wit ♍Ɣ gearbox sad May God help ♏έ. So so sad.
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by wealth123: 11:11pm On Aug 26, 2012
could you pls give me the phone number of a competent mechanic that can rebuild a 6 cylinder Alluminium engine.
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by keyremotes(m): 12:15am On Sep 18, 2012
Rebuilding is possible.
But not in Nigeria where you
Cannot get any original spare part.
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by sultaan(m): 11:58pm On Sep 18, 2012
By the way how long has your check engine light been on?
Do you still have a thermostat in the engine, and how high does the temperature go with engine running.

You might try oil change with correct weight first.

FYI Your car should never smoke if the check engine light is off, a sensor would have found something wrong.
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by SIRKAY98(m): 7:21am On Feb 14, 2017
Good one
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by stephcruse(m): 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2017
Yes depending on your pocket, of course you need to order for original part
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by SmartchoicesNG: 3:56pm On Feb 15, 2017
Hi nurey
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by nurey(m): 7:37pm On Feb 15, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
Hi nurey

HI, you wan give me something? I no receive shi shi for Val, even paperlace no send anything after she don receive the LS600H she no know me again grin
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by Nobody: 11:24pm On Feb 15, 2017
nurey:

HI, you wan give me something? I no receive shi shi for Val, even paperlace no send anything after she don receive the LS600H she no know me again grin
Oh...so sorry.
What do you want shugah? amma set up a committee to look into it.

1 Like

Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by nurey(m): 5:44am On Feb 16, 2017
PaperLace:
Oh...so sorry. What do you want shugah? amma set up a committee to look into it.
More like comic tease grin
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 16, 2017
nurey:

More like comic tease grin
Do you actually grin when you use that smiley? it would be awesome if you smile that easily.
This ain't no tease anyway, allow me take your request personal... smiley

2 Likes

Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by nurey(m): 7:50am On Feb 16, 2017
PaperLace:

Do you actually grin when you use that smiley? it would be awesome if you smile that easily.
This ain't no tease anyway, allow me take your request personal... smiley

Me and smile are like 5 and 6

Permission granted for request smiley
Re: Can A Six Cylinder Car Engine Be Overhauled by Conductor261: 3:32pm On Jun 23, 2020
cool

(1) (Reply)

Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine / Is It Okay To Warm Your Car Before Driving Off In The Morning? / Honda Accord 04 Jerk During Initial Acceleration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.