Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,523 members, 7,770,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:23 AM

Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò (123357 Views)

Indigenous Hausa Tubali Architecture / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 2:25pm On May 07, 2015
Deities in Mbari

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by BlackKenichi(m): 3:17pm On May 07, 2015
ezeagu:

They should build an Igbo village in Jamaica/Barbados like they did in Virginia.
Why? We aren't Igbo anymore. The Igbo mainly influenced our language, food, dance etc. Of course other Southern Nigerian ethnic groups influenced Jamaicans and Bajans as well.
I'm proud to have Southern Nigerian ancestry!
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:14pm On May 07, 2015
BlackKenichi:

Why? We aren't Igbo anymore. The Igbo mainly influenced our language, food, dance etc. Of course other Southern Nigerian ethnic groups influenced Jamaicans and Bajans as well.
I'm proud to have Southern Nigerian ancestry!

I'm not saying they should build a colony, lol, just a museum piece like this to honour the thousands of Igbo people who contributed to the island. If Virginia can do it, why can't Jamaica. http://www.frontiermuseum.org/exhibits/1700s-west-africa/

Even the International Slavery Museum in Liverpool (where a good amount of slaving voyages who both enslaved Igbo people and also took the most Africans to Jamaica and other British colonies originated) has an Igbo compound to honour the Africans taken to British colonies. http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/collections/africa/igbo_compound.aspx

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by BlackKenichi(m): 7:32pm On May 07, 2015
ezeagu:

I'm not saying they should build a colony, lol, just a museum piece like this to honour the thousands of Igbo people who contributed to the island. If Virginia can do it, why can't Jamaica. http://www.frontiermuseum.org/exhibits/1700s-west-africa/

Even the International Slavery Museum in Liverpool (where a good amount of slaving voyages who both enslaved Igbo people and also took the most Africans to Jamaica and other British colonies originated) has an Igbo compound to honour the Africans taken to British colonies. http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/collections/africa/igbo_compound.aspx
I suppose Jamaica could do that. Infact Jamaica should do that.
Igbo slaves resisted by running away (The Igbo had the highest slave runaway rate out of all Africans) but I digress.
I would love too see an exhibition of Igbo weaponry
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 1:04pm On May 08, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 1:05pm On May 08, 2015
Gone

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:33pm On May 10, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:34pm On May 10, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Here's what makes me upset. It takes a high degree of specialized language in order to communicate these architectural ideas; language that involves terminology for the concepts of geometry, measurement and logistics. The lack of active written records also means that people had no choice but to really know what it was they were doing and also know how to communicate that knowledge to others that they were working with, because otherwise, they would not be able to produce these works. I wonder now how many people still have this knowledge and to the same specialized degree. The lexicon would be invaluable to language development.

Anyway, let me not break the flow here. I just felt like getting that out of my mind.

ezeagu:

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:26pm On May 11, 2015

"Igbo building and architectural terms. Zbigniew R. Dmochowski (1990) An Introduction to Nigerian Traditional Architecture: South-Eastern Nigeria, the Igbo-speaking Areas. "

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:28pm On May 12, 2015
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 6:47pm On May 12, 2015
Ezeagu, i gbaliala. Excellent job.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:36am On Jul 14, 2015
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2015
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:05pm On Jul 15, 2015
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:06pm On Jul 15, 2015
Nill.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 6:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
Ezeagu, i biakwala! cheesy That last one put a smile on my face. I like what I'm seeing here.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
Some fine bleachers there.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 6:35pm On Jul 15, 2015
Exactly. If we only knew the expression used by that local community to describe that, then we would effectively have an indigenous name/expression for all other similar structures (like bleachers).
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:37pm On Jul 15, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Exactly. If we only knew the expression used by that local community to describe that, then we would effectively have an indigenous name/expression for all other similar structures (like bleachers).

The picture is from 1930, there are several kids there, some who may still be alive, so it wouldn't be impossible to find out if someone did their research.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:39pm On Jul 15, 2015

Entrance and interior of an Igbo shrine. Gustaf Bolinder, 1930-31.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2015
We still have this shade in my home town where we relax, kudos for doing a good job
ezeagu:

Tiered seats under trees in an Igbo village square for public activities. Photo by Gustaf Bolinder 1930-31.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2015
DikeOha882:
We still have this shade in my home town where we relax, kudos for doing a good job

This exact same architectural structure? If so, what is the name used for it, in your hometown?
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
Same, Nenwe in Aninri LGA Enugu
ChinenyeN:

This exact same architectural structure? If so, what is the name used for it, in your hometown?
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 3:25am On Jul 16, 2015
DikeOha882:
Same, Nenwe in Aninri LGA Enugu
Alright, but what does Nenwe call that architectural structure?
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 12:24pm On Jul 16, 2015
DikeOha882:

Thanks, what do they call it in your town?
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 26, 2015
Ours is made of big stones that has been for decades. We call it Mkpume (stone)Obodo (Ama)
ezeagu:

Thanks, what do they call it in your town?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 1:27am On Jul 27, 2015
DikeOha882:
Ours is made of big stones that has been for decades. We call it Mkpume (stone)Obodo (Ama)

Thanks a lot.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:27am On Jul 27, 2015
DikeOha882:

Oh, and if ever get a chance, maybe you can take a picture and post it here.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:41am On Aug 15, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:27pm On Aug 19, 2015
[size=14pt]Development of Ancient Igbo Shelter/Housing[/size]

Possible Earliest Shelter

Further Development of the Earliest Shelter

Possible Earliest Use of Mud in House Building by Igbo Ancestors

House of Chief Ezuma-Kanu-Eni in Arochukwu, Zbigniew Dmochowski

"From the possible earliest form of ancient shelter to a traditional 19th/20th century Igbo house. The supposed primacy of the conical shape of housing is reconstructed from the housing of the peoples who now populate the areas around the Benue River which is possibly the point of migration of the ancestors of the Igbo. The quadrangular style housing started taking shape with the development of architectural elements such as posts and beams. [Godwin Chikwendu Nsude (1987). The Traditional Architecture of the Igbo of Nigeria.Thames Polytechnic School of Architecture and Landscape, Dartford.; Zbigniew Dmochowski (1990). An Introduction to Nigerian Traditional Architecture: South-Eastern Nigeria, the Igbo-speaking Areas. Ethnographica Limited.]"

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:31pm On Aug 19, 2015

"Igbo shrine complex. Photo by Gustaf Bolinder, 1930-31."

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:32pm On Aug 19, 2015

"Close-up of basketry from the Niger Delta area. Photo by Edward Chadwick, 1930s."

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.