Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? (6130 Views)

Photo: Which Would Be Your Pick For Use On Nigerian Roads? / 2013 Nissan Altima VS Toyota Camry VS Honda Accord (Pics), What Is Your Pick? / Toyota Camry Vs Toyota Avalon: Your Preference And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Denc: 1:43pm On Aug 02, 2012
Your objective responses please ...
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Seun(m): 1:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
Most people would go for the Toyota Camry.
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by AjanleKoko: 4:25pm On Aug 02, 2012
Given the year and the environmental conditions, it would be the Toyota Camry for me.
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 02, 2012
The 406 will become a nightmare to own 1ce it exceeds the 180,000km mark- the electricals will start failing,its the best handling car of the bunch.it would hv earned my vote if not for its questionable long term reliability.
The B5.5 VW passat has a nice interior (the fit & finish is better than its successor, the B6) and some are equipped with VW's 4motion AWD, which helps with better traction on our kind of roads. The models with the 1.8T and 2.0t turbo engines are best avoided due to their sub-par reliability (naturally aspirated engines are easier to live with). Its best to keep away from US market variants (they were assembled in mexico and have crappy long term reliability), European variants are okay..the 04 passat is my 2nd pick (The W8 4motion variant is one nasty brute).
The XV30 Toyota camry (2001-2006) is the best option of the bunch. It has a reasonable running cost but the styling is not everyone's
Cup of tea (beauty in an automobile is subjective though).its just a lil dull to drive. It meets all ur afore-mentioned conditions ☑.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Denc: 5:25pm On Aug 02, 2012
Thanks for the responses so far
More comments are welcome, please

As the responses seem to favour the Camry (for now), what's your take on the durability of its automatic transmission? (If I go for Peugeot, for example, it must be "manual", based my investigations as at date)

Please share...
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 02, 2012
Camrys with automatic transmission are not really
troublesome (just stick with the recommended transmission fluid), U̶̲̥̅̊ can also search for a stick-shift camry.., XV30 series with manual gearboxes are very rare (i have only seen two lately). As for the 406...stay away from the automatics.
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Ikenna351(m): 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
platinumricky: Camrys with automatic transmission are not really
troublesome (just stick with the recommended transmission fluid), U̶̲̥̅̊ can also search for a stick-shift camry.., XV30 series with manual gearboxes are very rare (i have only seen two lately). As for the 406...stay away from the automatics.

Two of my colleagues that drive a Toyota Camry and Lexus both had failed aut transmissions last year. The one that drives Camry replaced his, while the one that drives Lexus rebuilt his. Unfortunately for the Lexus guy, the transmission failed again, just 2 weeks ago.

Just be ready anytime for auto trans replacement, for whichever brand, if the auto trans is your choice. They are all prone to failures, not just Honda's. Though some maybe a little bit tolerant of abuse, which we are very good at. But do know the main killer of auto tranny is traffic jam. If you are staying in Lagos, always be prepared for the replacement, whenever it decides its your turn to weep.

Ikenna.
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
Ikenna351:

Two of my colleagues that drive a Toyota Camry and Lexus both had failed aut transmissions last year. The one that drives Camry replaced his, while the one that drives Lexus rebuilt his. Unfortunately for the Lexus guy, the transmission failed again, just 2 weeks ago.

Just be ready anytime for auto trans replacement, for whichever brand, if the auto trans is your choice. They are all prone to failures, not just Honda's. Though some maybe a little bit tolerant of abuse, which we are very good at. But do know the main killer of auto tranny is traffic jam. If you are staying in Lagos, always be prepared for the replacement, whenever it decideds its your turn to weep.

Ikenna.

Which generation of the camry? And which model of the Lexus?
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by iykeG(m): 9:43pm On Aug 02, 2012
Bro, What Ikenna is talking is right. I have friends who their 1995, 2000 and 2007 Toyota Camry, 2004 Toyota corolla auto transmissions failed. What to really watch out on this Toyota cars are their engine which does not last and damages due to little over heating. Transmission problem is not peculiar with Honda alone. Besides driving a Toyota Camry is boring than Honda which is smarter thus it is regarded as a passenger's car.

platinumricky:

Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Ikenna351(m): 9:53pm On Aug 02, 2012
platinumricky:

Generation of any of the Toyotas has nothing to do with generally how reliable auto trannies can be, when compared to their manual counterparts. Like i noted before, some tend to tolerate the manner of abuse their Nigerian owners meted out on them: wrong ATF fliud, constant use of D (drive) when in traffic jam, etc. Toyota auto trans could be one of them. But all auto tranny are susceptible to failure in the early life of the vehicle, unlike the days when 3-speed auto trans were been used, such as the ZF 3 speed trans: a damn reliable auto box in those days.

Am not discouraging anyone interested in Toyota Camry. But you should have it at the back of your mind that Camry auto box is not left out out of sudden unexpected early failure too. Just saying!

Ikenna.
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Denc: 3:48am On Aug 03, 2012
Seun: Most people would go for the Toyota Camry.
Seems like the Camry wins this ...?
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Ndata(m): 4:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
@Platinumricky
The 406 will become a nightmare to own 1ce it exceeds the 180,000km mark- the electricals will start failing,its the best handling car of the bunch.it would hv earned my vote if not for its questionable long term reliability.

Ikenna what do you have to say to this assertion.Do you concur?I know you are an expert on Peugeot.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Ikenna351(m): 9:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ndata: @Platinumricky

Ikenna what do you have to say to this assertion.Do you concur?I know you are an expert on Peugeot.

Am not a fan of reliable cars, but the durable ones. Am not a fan of Point A - Piont B cars, but a fan of powerful good road handling cars (handlers). Am not a fan of Beautiful cars (Asian cars), but a fan of Handsome ones (Euro cars). I didnot join this forum to convert people to French cars. So I will be straight to the point.

Sometime early last year, there was this heavy rainfail one particular night. I woke up the next morning, prepared for work, jumped into my Peugeot 505 V6, cranked the engine, but it hard started. When it eventually started, it was terribly rough idling. I killed the engine, tried it gain, it started but was still terribly rough idling. I killed it again. "What could be the wahala?" I asked myself. No idea. Then my eyes caught pool of water on the passenger seat/side flow mat. It struck me "ECU!" (Because the 2 engine ECUs were mounted directly under the glove box). I pulled out the ECUs. Lo and behold! Water was dripping from the Injection ECU, while the Ignition ECU was dried as i left it. I was so sad. Where could the water have entered from? I just couldnt find it. I wasnt sure what to do. But I believe so much in Bosch (which is the brand of the ECU). Anyway, I removed the ECU cover and more water flowed out from the ECU. Hmm! I left The ECU uncovered and kept it beside gear lever, closed the door and left to work with public transport. I came back in the evening, checked the ECU and it has dried. I put back the cover, plugged back
the ECU, cranked the engine, it started and was idling damn smoothly. Hmm! I couldnt believe it. I revved the engine and it revved smoothly to red zone. Again, water entered the same ECU, for the 2nd time, the same last year. I repeated the samething and all was good again. I then relocated the ECU from that spot, pending when i find the spot where the water is coming in from, since it only happens when there is a heavy rainfall. Its over a year now. The car has been running with that same ECU, with all the long distance trip i have done with the car till date, the ECU is still functioning. This is the same PEUGEOT PEOPLE WOULD CRITICIZE THAT HAS UNRELIABLE ELECTRICS! I have heard and read so many post of people complaining of the death of their ECUs of various brand of vehicles, just
because water touched it. Correct me if I am wrong.

I don't own a 406, so i cant really prove
anything. I only get information on 406 from previous and present 406 owners review. But do know that what is stopping me from becoming an owner of phase II Peugeot 406 V6 5-speed manual (ES 9J4S) is because the money ain't ready. I careless of negative thought people have about the car.

Peugeot 406 is a car, a ride, a French one. Its not a perfect ride. So if you are looking for a perfect car, Peugeot 406 is not for you. Look elsewhere and goodluck with the search for the perfect car. Oh! Do let us know when you find one.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by erico2k2(m): 11:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
VW all the way
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Ndata(m): 3:06am On Aug 06, 2012
Thanks Ikenna it's just that i have heard such complaints (PEUGEOT electrical problems)from many people in the past and hearing it again from this guy I'm rather confused.
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Ikenna351(m): 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2012
Ndata: Thanks Ikenna it's just that i have heard such complaints (PEUGEOT electrical problems)from many people in the past and hearing it again from this guy I'm rather confused.

Then I would advice that you leave 406 and buy Camry. Every brand has peculiar issues. Electrics is the Peugeot issue. They can be very annoying when they come up. But ain't complaining. Because I deal with my mine as they come up.

The question you should ask youself is "what type of car's peculiar issue are my ready to live with, considering what I want in a car?" Whichever you can tolerate, go for it. But you will be deceiving yourself if you are looking for a car that doesnt give any issue(s). Its funny the way people would post here "Oh! I have been using this particular brand of car for 6 years and has never given me any issue". Of course, we can be emotional about what we like or love. But then, I always tell people that care to listen, "DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!", as Pac would say.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by segzyndpep(m): 6:03pm On Aug 06, 2012
Hello actually i dont really comment on Nairaland but i want to comment because you mention peugeot 406..well i have been using one over a year now and its a car i can boast of..i am a student and still i can maintain it...it hardly gives problem and there is nothing that will stop it from moving except you have to change the tire...but its a strong car please believe me....if am gonna upgrade am going to go for the 407 but i need people who already know about it too..and i will prefer the manual if there is...thanks
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by Denc: 8:25am On Aug 07, 2012
erico2k2: VW all the way

@erico2K2:
Kindly discuss your preference of the VW Passat
Share please...
Re: Toyota Camry Vs VW Passat Vs Peugeot 406 (2004 Models) - Whats Your Pick Please? by erico2k2(m): 9:55pm On Nov 27, 2012
Denc:

@erico2K2:
Kindly discuss your preference of the VW Passat
Share please...
I have the previllage to have driven both cars, VW passat 6 months and 406 1 month lol sold the bugger,the onlything good about the 406 is its Suspensions, now the passat has far mor supirior Air controls, more fitures in its dash, triptronic is better, Engine Eco friendly,much newer car than the 406,good space ideal family car,Power steering is way much better than the 406,it sahres most parts with its uncle the Audi A6.

(1) (Reply)

United States Versus Nigerian Presidential Car / Please How Good Is Acura MDX. / From Port Harcourt To Lagos And Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.