Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,635 members, 7,955,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:20 PM

Creating A Nigerian Welfare State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Creating A Nigerian Welfare State (1135 Views)

2016 Budget: FG Votes N500b For Social Welfare / Buhari Is Creating A Big Office For Fashola In Aso Rock / NASS Must Reject Welfare State For Boko Haram !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating A Nigerian Welfare State by Obalende: 11:42am On Dec 15, 2007
has the nigerian government never thought of creating a welfare state since independence- Nigerian Health Service (NHS), Poverty Allowances etc - and let sub optimal functioning be another issue.

An investor who put 100,000 in discovery fund in 2005 would have reaped 200,000 by 2007 (being low risk). why cant the government put 10billion and after two years, it becomes 20billion. and divide that sum per defined amount of population head below the povery line to better the masses. or use their own bonds or similar instruments.

when Governors are driving with their convoys, dont they see the poor begging and at least give out some little funds.

Does the Nigerian Government have common sense?

Do you think a Nigerian Welfare State will be actualized in the near future.
Re: Creating A Nigerian Welfare State by Obalende: 11:53am On Dec 15, 2007
i am asking this because they alot of funds is being spent on non-issues - stadiums, making abuja look like london (sounds like the effect of inferiority complex to me hehe(kidding)) and doing many other irrelevant stuff when the main focus should be on Nigerians and especially poor Nigerians.
Re: Creating A Nigerian Welfare State by iykrion(m): 4:52pm On Dec 15, 2007
Obalende:

has the nigerian government never thought of creating a welfare state since independence- Nigerian Health Service (NHS), Poverty Allowances etc - and let sub optimal functioning be another issue.

An investor who put 100,000 in discovery fund in 2005 would have reaped 200,000 by 2007 (being low risk). why can't the government put 10billion and after two years, it becomes 20billion. and divide that sum per defined amount of population head below the povery line to better the masses. or use their own bonds or similar instruments.

Nice idea! I commend your resourcefulness

Obalende:

when Governors are driving with their convoys, don't they see the poor begging and at least give out some little funds.

Probably they think that the destitutes are engineers working for contruction companies grin grin
Obalende:

Does the Nigerian Government have common sense?

Common sense is not common with this set of people.

Obalende:

Do you think a Nigerian Welfare State will be actualized in the near future.

That should be our collective prayer.
Re: Creating A Nigerian Welfare State by Seun(m): 4:55pm On Dec 15, 2007
Welfare state? I don't want it. I cannot entrust my welfare into the hands of a government that cannot perform its basic duties. I'll rather have my destiny in my own hands and in the hands of people who voluntary choose to help me because they believe I'm worth helping. Thank you.
Re: Creating A Nigerian Welfare State by lawani: 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
Welfare states are rigidly organised. Everybody pay tax. Almost zero tax evasion.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Workforce Ageing – Head Of Service / Actor Enebili Elebuwa Stabbed In The Eye / Peckham : Yorubaland In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.