Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,589 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 (18902 Views)

Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Nigeria Vs Argentina 2011 Friendly: 4 - 1 (Eagles Thump Argies) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by semid4lyfe(m): 10:44am On Aug 03, 2012

NIGERIA

Roster: G Tony Skinn, F Ekene Ibekwe, F Ike Diogu, F Al-Farouq Aminu, G Ade Dagunduro, G Chamberlain Oguchi, F Koko Archibong, G Richard Oruche, F Ejike Ugboaja, F Derrick Obasohan, C Alade Aminu, C Olumide Oyedeji

Coach: Ayo Bakare. He coaches the Ebun Comets in Nigeria's pro league. He also coached Nigeria's national team in the mid-1990s and early-2000s before Nigeria used to American coaches (Sam Vincent and Robert McCullum).

Qualification: Finished third by beating the Dominican Republic at Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Venezuela in July.

Best Olympic finish: First Olympics

Results of Previous Games in London 2012: Nigeria 60 Tunisia 56 , Nigeria 53 Lithuania 72 , Nigeria 73 USA 156

Players you know: F Al-Farouq Aminu, who played college ball at Wake Forest, averaged six points and 4.7 rebounds for the New Orleans Hornets last season. … PG Tony Skinn played on the George Mason team that reached the Final Four in 2006. Skinn, who has spent his professional career in France, Italy and Germany, averaged 10 points and 2.8 assists in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. … F Ike Diogu, who played at Arizona State and averaged six points for six teams in six NBA seasons, averaged 16.8 points and 10.8 rebounds in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. … F Alade Aminu, Al-Farqouq's brother, played at Georgia Tech and has spent last season playing in France. F Ekene Ibekwe played at Maryland.

Expert Analysis: The key with Nigeria and the reason they had success in the Qualifying Tournament is that they play very, very hard and with passion and energy on defense. Diogu is an NBA-level player. Al-Farouq Aminu is certainly an NBA player. They're not going to medal, but they played their win in on the basis of toughness and team chemistry. The Nigerian players I've been around have a fierceness about them. They just play very confidently. They're very quick to the ball. They get all those 50-50 balls. They play very loose. Diogu has done a nice job down low. Their guard play has been good. They're a fun team to watch because of the way they attack and they play very free.

ARGENTINA

Roster: G Facundo Campazzo, F Carlos Delfino, G Manu Ginobili, C Juan Gutierrez, F Leo Gutierrez, F Hernan Jasen, F Federico Kammerichs, C Martin Leiva, F Marcos Meta, F Andres Nocioni, G Pablo Prigioni, F Luis Scola

Coach: Julio Lamas. The coach of Obras Sanitarias in Argentina's pro league, Lamas coached Argentina's national team in the 1998 World Championship and was an assistant coach for the national in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He returned as Argentina's head coach in December, 2010

Qualification: Won the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship.

Best Olympic finish: Gold in 2004 Athens Olympics

2008 Olympics finish: Defeated Lithuania 87-75 for the bronze medal

Results of Previous Games in London 2012: Argentina 102 Lithuania 79 , Argentina 64 France 71 , Argentina 92 Tunisia 69

Players you know: F Luis Scola, who is now with the Phoenix Suns, averaged 27.1 points and 7.9 rebounds in the 2010 World Championship and 15.5 points and 6.5 rebounds with the Houston Rockets last season. … G Manu Ginobili, the Spurs veteran, averaged 15.8 points, four assists and three rebounds in the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship and 12.9 points 4.5 assists and 3.5 rebounds for the Spurs last season. … F Carlos Delfino averaged 20.6 points and 4.7 rebounds in the 2010 World Championship and nine points and 3.9 rebounds for the Milwaukee Bucks last season.

Expert Analysis: Argentina has players who are long in the tooth, but they remind me of the Celtics Big 3 with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. You know they have the craftiness, experience and talent to present major problems, particularly when everything is going right for them. The FIBA game is only 40 minutes and the shorter the game, the more chance of an upset. These guys from Argentina have great pride and they've played so many big games that the world stage will not be a big factor. This is their last hurrah. They're capable. They're like an aging boxer who can go 15 rounds with the younger champion and they're hoping for that one uppercut that can knock the other team out.

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 12:35pm On Aug 03, 2012
The Nigerian team will come fighting like a wounded lion. I pity for Argentina. You don't play a team that was humilated by the US without getting stained. I see the Nigerian team qualifying from this group and meeting the US in the final where they will go on a revenge mission and beat the US and be crowned the Olympic basketball champions.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 03, 2012
afam4eva: The Nigerian team will come fighting like a wounded lion. I pity for Argentina. You don't play a team that was humilated by the US without getting stained. I see the Nigerian team qualifying from this group and meeting the US in the final where they will go on a revenge mission and beat the US and be crowned the Olympic basketball champions.

Kai, see dreaming grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Confusion: 12:40pm On Aug 03, 2012
afam4eva: The Nigerian team will come fighting like a wounded lion. I pity for Argentina. You don't play a team that was humilated by the US without getting stained. I see the Nigerian team qualifying from this group and meeting the US in the final where they will go on a revenge mission and beat the US and be crowned the Olympic basketball champions.

Na only in Nollywood that one fit happen, even hollywood no fit dream that kind thing
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Businesstools(m): 12:40pm On Aug 03, 2012
I wish Nigeria victory.

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 12:45pm On Aug 03, 2012
Let it be published in the streets of New york, Miami, Chicago and Los Angeles that the Nigerian team will come back for their pound of flesh.

Tell it in Milwaukee, Baltimore and Talahasee and Providence that the Nigerian team will not stay down but will rise and reclaim their pride.

lNobody double crosses the Nigerian team and gets away with it.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by canuck(m): 12:46pm On Aug 03, 2012
I wish D'Tigers all the best against Argentina.

Yesterday's match was like a rag-tag machete-carrying militia versus the army of a Super Power!

But posting 73 points against the US side yesterday is not a mean feat; only problem was our defence was overran. Twenty nine 3-point shots! Come on! There's no defence for that firepower.

If we tighten defence and post 70+ points tomorrow, Argentina may be in for a tough game.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by canuck(m): 12:48pm On Aug 03, 2012
afam4eva: Let it be published in the streets of New york, Miami, Chicago and Los Angeles that the Nigerian team will come back for their pound of flesh.

Tell it in Milwaukee, Baltimore and Talahasee and Providence that the Nigerian team will not stay down but will rise and reclaim their pride.

lNobody double crosses the Nigerian team and gets away with it.

Pray that we qualify for the next Olympics first! cheesy
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by akinmax: 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2012
....You are not afraid to dream, uh....now wake up!! it's morning already!....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Skywalker5(m): 1:24pm On Aug 03, 2012

sounds like a movie script to me grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2012

Even when the tigers read ur post they will just shake their heads and walk away

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by elimokhai(m): 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2012

Your ignorance is forgiven. Apparently you have not watched any of the game, not even sure you know about the game "Basketball" else you would have thrown sentiment into the lagoon and face the fact. Defeat USA? Not now, maybe never. Those guys eat,smoke,drink basketball. Kobe Bryant made this statement "if we fail to win the gold in London, i'll change my nationality"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by megxo(m): 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
hope de've recovered from d big blow the US gave em...............
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Rheinmetal(m): 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
The wide margin of defeat is not necessarily a reflection of how poor the Nigerian team was on that day but how awesome the Americans were in that game.
Its painful to be on the wrong side of history,especially when not so deserving of such unworthy mention. I mean Diogu dropped 27 points on the Yanks and he doesn't even get a mention. It could have been any other team at the receiving end of that barrage but it turned out to be my dear D'tigers

Will the Yanks be able to maintain their momentum, well that remains to be see, but for D'tigers, its no where from hereon but up.

The Argies will be another mountain to climb. So our guys berra turn out in their climbing gear, cos they can't afford another blowout.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by lepasharon(f): 1:31pm On Aug 03, 2012
Well,we made history tongue
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 03, 2012
Not again, pls!
We're still recuperating from our last game with the 'deadly' defending champion -USA... wink smiley smiley smileylol. But, then miracles do happen...

Wishing them victory and strenght to soar higher than the Argentines.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Siga: 1:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
...U guys don start again with ur mouth....na so una run ur mouth u chop cane....BTW...where Fhemmmy sef....make hin con run hin mouth once again...lol grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by akintun: 1:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
Dat name D'tigers has to be changed to D'ant. We were disgraced yesterday, but we scored 73 points sha. Watching Spain win Great Britain by one point has given me hope dat Argentina can fall to d mighty Ant.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Siga: 1:54pm On Aug 03, 2012
akintun: Dat name D'tigers has to be changed to D'ant. We were disgraced yesterday, but we scored 73 points sha. Watching Spain win Great Britain by one point has given me hope dat Argentina can fall to d mighty Ant.
...My guy...I hope we can...but its impossible....Make I just give u 3 names...Ginobili (crazy on attack and shooter), Scola (inside presence), Delfino(another Melo, sharp shooter)...thats all....unless by miracle...dem enter foul trouble...
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by student10: 1:55pm On Aug 03, 2012

Mehn I really pray wot u just said happens. God bless Nigeria!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by uceee(m): 1:58pm On Aug 03, 2012
DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS. Maybe in half a decade.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 03, 2012
Argentina's going to take the fall from my compatriots. GO TIGERS!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 03, 2012
ARGENTINA IS STRONGER THAN LITHUANIA AND ARE CONSIDERED A MAJOR FORCE IN BASKETBALL
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Chinom(m): 2:05pm On Aug 03, 2012
In the USA-Naija game i was only able to see the 3rd quarter. After 5 minutes i turned off the TV. It was dreadful to watch. For me the Olympics just started today with track and field.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Tolaaaaannni(f): 2:12pm On Aug 03, 2012
LOL, We made front page on yahoo for the USA vs Nigeria one. What are we going to make this time?? grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by lepasharon(f): 2:13pm On Aug 03, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: LOL, We made front page on yahoo for the USA vs Nigeria one. What are we going to make this time?? grin grin

damn lol
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by kokoA(m): 2:26pm On Aug 03, 2012
Do we have to keep going trough this torture every two days? The organizers of the basketball event lack human sympathy. What do they stand to gain from putting about 150 million legitimate citizens of the world throuh such pains? cry cry
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by tijehi(f): 2:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
SHUOOOO, Dem still wan play?
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Martini101(m): 2:37pm On Aug 03, 2012
@Afam4eva. Abi u wan replace Fhemmy, I dey laugh U. Let us brace up and expect anoda white washing 2morow. Argentina wey dey beat USA smtimes! Ofcos they 'll win but nt wit dat USA margin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by pyyxxaro: 3:00pm On Aug 03, 2012
they shud smoke enough IGBOO b4 goin for dat match grin cheesy grin it wud help dem shocked
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 03, 2012
Hahahaha U should pity Nigeria. 3 straight games with basketball powerhouses. Its like Wikki tourists facing Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid one after the other.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Agege Soccer Temple Finally Gets Seal Of Approval From CAF / Today Is Perpetua Nkwocha's 46th Birthday / Arsenal Completes £50 Million Signing Of Brighton Defender, Ben White

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.