Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,426 members, 7,815,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? (829 Views)

Advice For Parents: Always Understand Your Kids (must-read) / Will You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? Men Speak / Understand Your Children's Behaviour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by smartmom(f): 6:19pm On Aug 03, 2012
An unsettling trend is becoming a real threat to our national culture. Most kids do not understand the languages of their parents and I notice it is not even seen as anything odd. I recently spoke with a family friend and he drew our attention to the fact that many languages will soon become extinct and with it our culture. I am hoping this will serve as a clarion call to parents to make an effort to encourage their kids to speak their local languages.
Re: Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by enaye1(f): 6:30pm On Aug 03, 2012
A very annoying thing to see modern parents thinking it is cool to say their offspring cannot speak their language, ha! methinks its quite silly to think its cute or modern. It is actually colonial mentality! angry

2 Likes

Re: Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by enaye1(f): 6:31pm On Aug 03, 2012
ehen, saw another thread here addressing this too:
http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php?board=13.0
Re: Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 03, 2012
Nope.
Re: Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by Afam4eva(m): 3:02pm On Aug 09, 2012
BUMP
Re: Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by smartmom(f): 12:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
Hey Afam4eva, whats ur view really?
Re: Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by Afam4eva(m): 12:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
smartmom: Hey Afam4eva, whats ur view really?
I think it's shameful that kids of these days don't understand not to talk of speaking their native tongue. I pass most of the blame to their parents who have failed in their duty to impart their culture on their wards. I will also put the blame on any adult who has not made a concerted effort to correct what their parents failed to instill in them.

2 Likes

Re: Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? by smartmom(f): 12:35pm On Aug 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I think it's shameful that kids of these days don't understand not to talk of speaking their native tongue. I pass most of the blame to their parents who have failed in their duty to impart their culture on their wards. I will also put the blame on any adult who has not made a concerted effort to correct what their parents failed to instill in them.

Exactly my view too but its amazing what you see in society today. I think its appalling and sheer laziness of the mind to put it lightly to just shrug it off and not see the end result of this irresponsibility in the next 10-15 yrs on our culture and nation.

(1) (Reply)

Disclosing Your Income To Your Spouse. Good Or Not Too Good? / Parent Allow 15yr Old Daughter To Marry 70yr Old Man Because Of N3million / Video Of Girl Aged Seven Steals Iphone In Public Under Approving Eye Of Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.