Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Olympics Tennis: Serena Williams Thrashes Maria Sharapova To Win GOLD! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olympics Tennis: Serena Williams Thrashes Maria Sharapova To Win GOLD! (740 Views)

Oke & Olamigoke Win Gold & Silver Medals At All Africa Games Triple Jump Event / Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title / How China Train Their Children To Win Gold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Olympics Tennis: Serena Williams Thrashes Maria Sharapova To Win GOLD! by Actman(m): 4:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
Serena Williams of the United States dominates the womens' final against Russia's Maria Sharapov a, winning in straight sets 6-0 6-1 in just 63 minutes to win the gold medal at London 2012.

Williams dropped just 17 games all tournament and has won all of her 17 matches since losing to Virginie Razzano at the French Open on 29 May. It was the most comprehensive women's singles final win in Olympic history.

French Open champion Sharapova takes the silver medal and world number one Victoria Azarenka of Belarus bronze.
"I didn't think I would be this happy," said Williams, who plays in the doubles semi-finals with her sister Venus later on Saturday.

"Oh my gosh, I got the gold. Wow. I've never played better. Playing against someone like Maria you have to be at your best. I knew that, so it was like I had nothing to lose. "I never expected gold in singles. I was so happy with my doubles golds [in Sydney 2000 and Beijing 2008]. I thought 'if my career's over I have my gold medal and now I have everything'.
"I have singles, doubles, actually everything there is to win in tennis. Where do I go from here?"

Sharapova added: "Serena played some incredible tennis, with the form she was in during Wimbledon and afterwards.
"With every match she has played she has played great, she has improved and become better, and that showed today."
Top seed Azarenka beat Maria Kirilenko of Russia to take bronze.

"It is just like everything came off my shoulders," said the Australian Open champion. "It was an incredible match.
"I felt so nervous because it is not very usual for a tennis player once you lose to come back the next day and play, so it was incredibly hard but I am so glad I did it and it was worth it."

Re: Olympics Tennis: Serena Williams Thrashes Maria Sharapova To Win GOLD! by henrychubayo: 6:40pm On Aug 04, 2012
The girl is back. Congrat girl you deserve it. I will definately watch the highlights to know how you did it.

(1) (Reply)

Lance Armstrong Stripped Of All Seven Tour De France Wins - to return $7.5m!!! / Keshi Is A Tribalist.dn't U Think So / Keshi Lists 24 Home-based Stars For Kenya Tie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.