Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,536 members, 7,816,308 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans (3232 Views)

7 Nigerians Who Were Pioneers In Their Area / Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents / Nigerians & Foreign Accents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Kenyaphilia: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2012
I am Kenyan and I must say sometimes my people deeply embarrass me with their inferiority complex? We have a joke in Kenya that when Kenyans are heading to the US, they lose their accent at the airport just before the plane takes off grin. A good majority of Kenyans who go to the US come back with their Kenyan accent completely erased, even if they have stayed in the US for only 6 months. They come back speaking like AA or just in mainstream American accent. On the other hand, I have seen Indians, Chinese, South Africans, Somalis, Sudanese etc staying in America and still keeping their culture and the way they speak{Here I don’t mean people born in the US but those who to study in their mid 20s onwards}

There is a Kenyan who went to the US and came back with an American wife after 7 years. Apart from his distinctive America accent, he had also apparently forgotten his mother tongue, including Swahili. My questions, do Nigerians who study and work in the US display this crass stupidity and inferiority complex?
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 04, 2012
^^^^Kenyans have a stronger accent than Nigerians, so, Nigerians shouldn't have a problem losing their accent.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:57pm On Aug 04, 2012
Not really, I have been living in the U.S for the past 10 years now and even though i try to switch to akata accent when i am with my akata and oyinbo peeps my original naija accent will still come out once in a while. But if you think nigerians lose their accent very quickly just come ask all those naija people that call water, worra(And that is their version of an American accent) grin

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 04, 2012
^^^^It also depends on the people you hang around with.. If you hang around Americans, then you'll lose your accent easily - but if you hang around Nigerians, then your accent won't change..
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by tpia5: 5:36am On Aug 05, 2012
some of you are too hung up on accents.

get a life and be proud of who you are without hating on others.

does somebody's accent pay your salary? Why not work on your low self esteem which is threatened by other people's accents.

why dont you curse out obama for his lack of a kenyan accent @ poster.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Kenyaphilia: 4:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: Not really, I have been living in the U.S for the past 10 years now and even though i try to switch to akata accent when i am with my akata and oyinbo peeps my original naija accent will still come out once in a while. But if you think nigerians lose their accent very quickly just come ask all those naija people that call water, worra(And that is their version of an American accent) grin

LOL, I can imagine someone saying "give me some worra" in Nigerian American English
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by odumchi: 6:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
I've been living in the US for some time now and I've developed two accents for myself: a Nigerian, and an American.

In school I use my "American accent" (which isn't all too American since people tell me I have a slight accent) while at home (and in the company of fellow Nigerians) I use my Nigerian accent (which I can use on command). So I'd say no; I haven't lost my accent.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
odumchi: I've been living in the US for some time now and I've developed two accents for myself: a Nigerian, and an American.

In school I use my "American accent" (which isn't all too American since people tell me I have a slight accent) while at home (and in the company of fellow Nigerians) I use my Nigerian accent (which I can use on command). So I'd say no; I haven't lost my accent.
^^ same thing applies to me smiley
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Freesia(f): 7:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
odumchi: I've been living in the US for some time now and I've developed two accents for myself: a Nigerian, and an American.

I hear you on the switching thing it's all about being flexible!!
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Kenyaphilia: 9:15pm On Aug 05, 2012

Well I have seen people like that too...although the majority I meet have completely lost their accents..I mean they speak totally like Americans but the went their 5 or 6 years when they were in late teens or early 20s...one told me that they had to develop the accent to be understood.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by tpia5: 9:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
^and why does it bother you so much how other people speak?
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
^^^The Kenya chic/guy has inferiority complex lol... grin grin
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Kenyaphilia: 1:25am On Aug 06, 2012
tpia@:
^and why does it bother you so much how other people speak?

Actually, it does not bother me that much.I'm just keen on knowing why it is the AFRICANS who find it convenient to get rid of their accents as fast possible. And why they do it SPECIFICALLY in the US and UK. I have seen Africans stay in India 10 years but they don't come back with Indian accent grin or in Malaysia and they don't adopt Malaysian accent....Why Africans? why specifically in these Western countries? Perhaps I can get to know the roots of this inferiority complex. It is a contributing factor to our underdevelopment. By the way, you sound so snarky. I guess you are one of those "worra" guys grin
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Kenyaphilia: 1:27am On Aug 06, 2012
shymmex: ^^^The Kenya chic/guy has inferiority complex lol... grin grin
You are truly clueless on who has the inferiority complex here grin
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by tpia5: 4:20am On Aug 06, 2012
i'm not the one with a chip on my shoulder going around looking to be offended by other people's accents.

seriously, [b]people like you annoy me [/b]and my opinion is if you dont like accents that are different from the ones in your village, then stay there.

who exactly is the cause of your inferiority complex because i feel you need to look closer to home. It didnt start after you heard other people talk when you landed overseas.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by odumchi: 4:36am On Aug 06, 2012
Freesia:

I hear you on the switching thing it's all about being flexible!!

Tolaaaaannni:
^^ same thing applies to me smiley

Lol exactly. cool
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by odumchi: 4:38am On Aug 06, 2012
Kenyaphilia:
Well I have seen people like that too...although the majority I meet have completely lost their accents..I mean they speak totally like Americans but the went their 5 or 6 years when they were in late teens or early 20s...one told me that they had to develop the accent to be understood.

I know what you mean. It's very frustrating to have people say that they can't understand you because of how you speak. However, I will never lose my original accent.

I do find a Nigerian's fake American accent funny, though. It's hilarious when someone from Naija says, "Yeah man. Wazzup man."

grin
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by igbo2011(m): 7:32am On Aug 06, 2012
odumchi:

I know what you mean. It's very frustrating to have people say that they can't understand you because of how you speak. However, I will never lose my original accent.

I do find a Nigerian's fake American accent funny, though. It's hilarious when someone from Naija says, "Yeah man. Wazzup man."

grin
What school do you go to?
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by odumchi: 3:06am On Aug 10, 2012
igbo2011:
What school do you go to?

I'm still in high school.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 10, 2012
I DON'T KNOW O.

All I know is that when I'm nervous, angry, VERY happy or emotionally distraught, I accentuate my accent.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 10, 2012
m not nigerian but i'm sure my accent will never change because my both native languages are too different from english ....
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by igbo2011(m): 10:27am On Aug 11, 2012
odumchi:

I'm still in high school.
That's cool. I know that the curriculum is very racist there.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by thoth: 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2012
Kenyaphilia:

Actually, it does not bother me that much.I'm just keen on knowing why it is the AFRICANS who find it convenient to get rid of their accents as fast possible. And why they do it SPECIFICALLY in the US and UK. I have seen Africans stay in India 10 years but they don't come back with Indian accent grin or in Malaysia and they don't adopt Malaysian accent....Why Africans? why specifically in these Western countries? Perhaps I can get to know the roots of this inferiority complex. It is a contributing factor to our underdevelopment. By the way, you sound so snarky. I guess you are one of those "worra" guys grin
I think you are right, more thought should be given to this problem.
Re: Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans by razznaija(f): 6:46pm On Aug 11, 2012

Same here

(1) (Reply)

Couple Get Married Completely Naked In Wedding Ceremony (photo) / Benin Kingdom Is Home For All, Oba Of Benin Ewaure II Tells Igbo / Young South African Girls Kidnapped And Forced To Marry Hiv-positive Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.