Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,038 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Rim(blackberry) Seriously Considering A Switch To Android - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Rim(blackberry) Seriously Considering A Switch To Android (1108 Views)

Microsoft Considering Bringing Cortana To Android And iOS Devices / RIM Opens BlackBerry Retail Store In Lagos / Switch Off Your Phones Before 12:30 - 3:30am Today, Its........ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rim(blackberry) Seriously Considering A Switch To Android by frevangel(m): 1:23pm On Aug 05, 2012
RIM CEO Thorsten Heins’s interview with the Telegraph on Thursday made headlines for his admission that the company can’t keep up with Apple and Samsung without outside help.
But there’s another interesting nugget buried within the interview that didn’t get quite as much attention: Heins says that RIM took a long, hard look at migrating to Android before deciding toplow forward with BlackBerry 10.
“We took the conscious decision not to go Android,” Heins told the Telegraph.”If you look at other suppliers’ ability todifferentiate, there’s very little wiggle room. We looked at it seriously — but ifyou understand what the promise of BlackBerry is to its user base it’s all about getting stuff done. Games, media, we have to be good at it but wehave to support
those guys who are ahead of the game. Very little time to consume and enjoy content — if you stay true to that purpose you have to build on that basis. And if we want to serve that segment we can’t do it on a me-too approach.”
Given the current woes of Android vendors such as HTC (2498) and Google’s (GOOG) Motorola,
the company’s decision not to go with Android does make a good deal of sense. But now that RIM has decided togo its own way, the company will still need something to differentiate itself from the iPhone and the flood of Android devices released every year.
For Heins, RIM’s ace in the hole is BlackBerry Messenger, which he says delivers mobile messaging capabilities that are unique in the smartphone market.
“[BBM is] what attracts people to BlackBerry,” he said. “This is our BlackBerry experience we can deliver —there’s no other system out there where you can read, write, check if you’ve read my message. We want to make it as differentiated as possible. Going cross platform and opening up would be losing that advantage. I thinkthere’s a huge difference between somebody who just provides the phoneand the hardware and someone who provides services.”

http://ascology.com/news/technology/26734-Blackberry-maker-RIM-seriously-considering-switch-Android.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Rim(blackberry) Seriously Considering A Switch To Android by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
which is what those knuckleheads at nokia should have done with meego instead of allowing microsoft moles to sell them out.

close to a year after the os dey chose is still not as flexible or featured as the last meego
release, selling promises when d competition is not standing still

anyway i hope they do get BB10 out before they die because at this rate im beginning to suspect microsoft will.simply buy them to merge with nokia. software and hardware taken care of, slamdunk
Re: Rim(blackberry) Seriously Considering A Switch To Android by tonyx4x44(m): 6:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: which is what those knuckleheads at nokia should have done with meego instead of allowing microsoft moles to sell them out.

close to a year after the os dey chose is still not as flexible or featured as the last meego

anyway i hope they do get BB10 out before they die because at this rate im beginning to suspect microsoft will.simply buy them to merge with nokia. software and hardware taken care of, slamdunk
true
Re: Rim(blackberry) Seriously Considering A Switch To Android by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 06, 2012
i wished nokia didnt close meego nd maemo Os, now my n900 is just almost useless. Coming to think of it imagine a blackberry hardware with andriod OS..it would be Super awesome!
Re: Rim(blackberry) Seriously Considering A Switch To Android by texazzpete(m): 11:47pm On Aug 06, 2012
4llerbuntu: which is what those knuckleheads at nokia should have done with meego instead of allowing microsoft moles to sell them out.

You still cannot see the trees for the forest!

The Chart above shows the smartphone percentage share of mobile profits. And the iPhone is utterly dominating with 77%. The next big player is Samsung with 29%.
All the other Android makers (HTC, LG, Sony, Sharp, Philips, Motorola) are either losing money or they are making do with a meager share of the profits.

Going Android would have been the fastest path to the grave. Don't believe all the lying fanboys who babble about 'Nokia hardware paired with Android'. The HTC One X has nokia-esque hardware quality and certainly looks way better than the GS3. Guess which phone is selling poorly now?

If Nokia had gone Android, there'd have been practically nothing to differentiate with. Any Nokia apps would have been ripped from ROMs by Xda-devs within days and 4llerbuntu would be posting articles about how to install Nokia Drive on Galaxy S II grin

Android has not been the blessing for Sony, LG, HTC et al as you thought.

PS: At least WP8 will bring much more apps for Nokia devices than meego would have.

(1) (Reply)

Need Help On Samsung Galaxy Pocket Duos / How To Customize Your BBM Profile On Android Mobiles / How Do I Use Bb As Modem To Browse On Pc?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.