Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? (3219 Views)

Can I Do Masters Straight With A 2.2 In Physics? / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada? / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sukomit(m): 10:59am On Aug 06, 2012
Most Nigeria graduate ventures into master this days with no job experience due to the inability to get one and hoping that doing masters will give them an advantage.
I'm graduate in Mechanical engineering but I don't want to go into something unproductive like what first degree has turn to in Naija.
My question for guru's and people in the industries is that " which area do you think doing masters in it will help us in the Nigeria market"
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sukomit(m): 11:04am On Aug 06, 2012
Not only for Engineers......
General opinions are welcome..........
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 1:13pm On Aug 06, 2012
sukomit: Most Nigeria graduate ventures into master this days with no job experience at all due to the inability to get one and hoping doing masters will give them an advantage.
I'm graduate in Mechanical engineering but don't want go into something unproductive like what first degree has turn to in Naija.
My question for guru's and people in the industries is that " what area do you think doing masters in it will help us in the Nigeria market"

My first questions would be: Why Masters?
You are quite wrong on your first assertion: First degree is not useless in Nigeria. No entry level position in Nigeria requires a masters degree.
At least I don't know of any. Which is a good thing, because masters degrees are not meant to be rushed into (unless you have a desire for academics as a career).

1 Like

Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by joey4jo: 1:25pm On Aug 06, 2012
Where's that mod that bullies! Just wait for him. He'll soon pound on you. His latest victim.

@ topic
I understand your point. I am in somewhat similar circumstance. Opens a thread and he was just bashing me. Ultimately the choice is yours. You'll have to do the work and settle with what suits you best. Good luck.
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sukomit(m): 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2012
Bros.. I didn't say first degree is useless, I only meant its quite unproductive. Atleast we can see what is happening.
My point is in the absence of no job for now, which area do U̶̲̥̅̊ think can make someone more productive in Nigeria market. Master forms are opening here and there these days and graduates are rushing into it. Working class people please advise us
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:24pm On Aug 06, 2012
sukomit: Bros.. I didn't say first degree is useless, I only meant its quite unproductive. Atleast we can see what is happening.
My point is in the absence of no job for now, which area do U̶̲̥̅̊ think can make someone more productive in Nigeria market. Master forms are opening here and there these days and graduates are rushing into it. Working class people please advise us

I understand you clearly.
Even if you went and did a masters today in mechanical engineering, you would still struggle to find a job. So don't even start by bothering with masters, frankly speaking.

If you like mechanical engineering, try and find a job that can give you some experience, even if its for free. There are lots of companies in Nigeria that can give you that opportunity. Auto repair shops, generator sales and service, small and medium scale factories, local foundries, etc. You're a mechanical engineer, so you should know all those places.

If you feel like a switch . . . then try for IT. Nigeria's age of dot com boom has arrived. What with mobile money, cashless project, etc. IT is about to enter a major boom in Naija. Pick any of the various IT specializations (systems engineering, software development, database management, data analysis, IT project management, IT security, IT audit, etc) and go and get some training. There are so many IT training schools in Nigeria. If you go that route, you'll likely find a job.

If your desire is Total, Shell, or Chevron, like every other Nigerian youth . . . go and enter for a masters in petroleum engineering. However, know that you have entered the Great Naija Lottery wink. There is a slim chance that it might work, and a very big chance that it won't work.

1 Like

Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:33pm On Aug 06, 2012
joey4jo: Where's that mod that bullies! Just wait for him. He'll soon pound on you. His latest victim.

You, you still have mouth.
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by yemmyma: 6:20pm On Aug 06, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You, you still have mouth.

AjanleKoko:

However, know that you have entered the Great Naija Lottery wink.

Why don't you stop killing me with laughter here. lwkmd grin
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by Nickydrake(m): 8:05pm On Aug 06, 2012
joey4jo: Where's that mod that bullies! Just wait for him. He'll soon pound on you. His latest victim.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I almost died when i read the above post.
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 06, 2012
AjanleKoko:

If your desire is Total, Shell, or Chevron, like every other Nigerian youth . . . go and enter for a masters in petroleum engineering. However, know that you have entered the Great Naija Lottery wink. There is a slim chance that it might work, and a very big chance that it won't work.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sucezTP(f): 9:34pm On Aug 06, 2012
Interesting!
...following..
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by joey4jo: 5:06am On Aug 07, 2012
Nickydrake:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I almost died when i read the above post.

You have no idea, even me. When I read it again I just had to have a face-palm moment.
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sawyer89: 9:57am On Aug 07, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Uncle Ajanlekoko,are you saying it is nearly impossible for young grads from Nigerian Unis to get into these MNCs?If your answer is not affirmative,how then can a young,bright and ambitious Nigerian get himself working with these corporations?Your insightful reply is earnestly awaited!
NB-Permit me to say that you're a gem!
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:02am On Aug 07, 2012
sawyer89:
Uncle Ajanlekoko,are you saying it is nearly impossible for young grads from Nigerian Unis to get into these MNCs?If your answer is not affirmative,how then can a young,bright and ambitious Nigerian get himself working with these corporations?Your insightful reply is earnestly awaited!
NB-Permit me to say that you're a gem!

I didn't say it is nearly impossible. I said the chances are very slim. 10 million plus youth, competing for maybe 1,000 jobs in the entire oil sector? Do the math, bros.
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sawyer89: 10:10am On Aug 07, 2012
Hmm! Pretty low probability...The odd is kinda high!but then what sir do you think is the differentiating factor in securing a job with these coys considering the large population hustling for the very low juicy jobs?
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:20am On Aug 07, 2012
sawyer89: Hmm! Pretty low probability...The odd is kinda high!but then what sir do you think is the differentiating factor in securing a job with these coys considering the large population hustling for the very low juicy jobs?

There is NO differentiating factor.
You only need to study one of these professional courses. Engineering, Accounting/Finance, law, etc. Engineers seem to be the ones they need the most.
Graduate with a top grade, at least a 2:1. Then start writing them tests. It's simply competition, period.
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sawyer89: 10:31am On Aug 07, 2012
Thanks for sparing me time out of your already tight schedule.I think i am on the right path then.I am presently studying Chemical Engineering;i am in my final year with a pretty good grade.I think i will start 'hobbying' with them Aptitude textbooks instead of playing away my time with X-box and PS.. grin....
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:52am On Aug 07, 2012
sawyer89: Thanks sir for sparing me time out of your already tight schedule.I think i am on the right path then.I am presently studying Chemical Engineering;i am in my final year with a pretty good grade.I think i will start 'hobbying' with them Aptitude textbooks instead of playing away my time with X-box and PS.. grin....

Good plan.
If you keep trying, you definitely will get into one. Once your mind is focused on it, and you make sure you achieve all the pre-requisites.
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by Ogininafio1(m): 11:05am On Aug 07, 2012
I'm quite surprised and a lil' bit appalled at the poster's (sukmit) grammatical compositions. Had a difficult time making out what he was trying to say. it goes without saying, the average nigerian graduate is deficient.

1 Like

Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by Justpassing1: 12:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
A Masters degree ( foreign or owambe ) guarantees nothing. Simple tips for Nigerian Undergraduates ;

1. Read daily : Not just the outdated notes spoon-fed to you by the clueless lecturers. Carry out extensive personal reasearch on the internet w.r.t your chosen field/subject. Buy and read additional books relating to your subject including other books written on topics like Leadership , Entrepreneurship , etc. Have this habit of reading daily and I GUARANTEE you that while your peers are burning the unneccessary midnight oil during exams you would either be sleeping , chasing girls(or boys) , drinking beer or coaching your classmates... AND still come out with top grades - GUARANTEED!!.

2. Gather the little experience you can : Back in the day , we were given the oppurtunity to complete a total of 11months internship within a 5yr Engineering Degree Program. I want to believe this is still the case. As an intern ( even if you find yourself in an Auto Repair Shop by the roadside ) give it all your time and atttention , learn all you can , ask questions from your Supervisor. If your university happens to go on strike....go and work for free in an appropriate place.

Your CV should come to life after your first internship so that you do not forget your previous accomplishments at the time of graduation. Keep working on your CV throughout your undergraduate years. Carry out a real and unique final year project ( do not copy and paste someone elses project who wrote the same topic in another university or in a previous year ). Highlight the project on your CV as well. Try as much as possible to spend your 1yr NYSC in a relevant role. In summary , on completion of NYSC you should have a standard CV which any employer looking to hire Entry Level employees would be interested in. I have gone through a number of Nigerian Graduate CV's which have absolutely no content.....maybe "name" "DoB" and "Sex".

I GUARANTEE you will not spend too much time on the streets before getting a decent job in your chosen field. Forget about knowing someone in-house.......a number of organisations still hire strictly on merit. I was recently part of a panel interviewing Grads for an Engineering Graduate Program. Even though I was able to refer a cousin of mine for the interview , he was not hired. Truth be said - the dude came across as EMPTY. We had other Nigerian candidates with foreign MSc degrees and all.....we still did not hire any of them as they were ALL EMPTY. The guys employed were local candidates without Masters Degrees who knew , and most importantly could defend , their onions.....they were selected based on consensus amongst all 8 of us within the panel ( none of us within the panel were buddies at the time as we work in different roles in different locations so there was no way we could have helped any of the candidates ).......I could not have voted for my cousin as I would have been looked on by other members of the Panel as DAFT as well.

However , if you do not for any reason get your dream job in your dream organisation , I once again GUARANTEE that following the simple rules highlighted above , you would have enough "upstairs" to start up a successful venture of your own.

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 1:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
joey4jo:

You have no idea, even me. When I read it again I just had to have a face-palm moment.

You were face-palming over your own post? undecided
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by sukomit(m): 5:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
Thanks for the advice generally...

And to the Mr perfect, am not surprise because some fools are created to criticize. It's not today that typing error occurs in posts and articles.

Anyway, I believe graduates are really gaining from this.
Intellectual people please keep it coming......Thanks
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
"Just passing":
A Masters degree ( foreign or owambe ) guarantees nothing. Simple tips for Nigerian Undergraduates ;

1. Read daily : Not just the outdated notes spoon-fed to you by the clueless lecturers. Carry out extensive personal reasearch on the internet w.r.t your chosen field/subject. Buy and read additional books relating to your subject including other books written on topics like Leadership , Entrepreneurship , etc. Have this habit of reading daily and I GUARANTEE you that while your peers are burning the unneccessary midnight oil during exams you would either be sleeping , chasing girls(or boys) , drinking beer or coaching your classmates... AND still come out with top grades - GUARANTEED!!.

2. Gather the little experience you can : Back in the day , we were given the oppurtunity to complete a total of 11months internship within a 5yr Engineering Degree Program. I want to believe this is still the case. As an intern ( even if you find yourself in an Auto Repair Shop by the roadside ) give it all your time and atttention , learn all you can , ask questions from your Supervisor. If your university happens to go on strike....go and work for free in an appropriate place.

Your CV should come to life after your first internship so that you do not forget your previous accomplishments at the time of graduation. Keep working on your CV throughout your undergraduate years. Carry out a real and unique final year project ( do not copy and paste someone elses project who wrote the same topic in another university or in a previous year ). Highlight the project on your CV as well. Try as much as possible to spend your 1yr NYSC in a relevant role. In summary , on completion of NYSC you should have a standard CV which any employer looking to hire Entry Level employees would be interested in. I have gone through a number of Nigerian Graduate CV's which have absolutely no content.....maybe "name" "DoB" and "Sex".

I GUARANTEE you will not spend too much time on the streets before getting a decent job in your chosen field. Forget about knowing someone in-house.......a number of organisations still hire strictly on merit. I was recently part of a panel interviewing Grads for an Engineering Graduate Program. Even though I was able to refer a cousin of mine for the interview , he was not hired. Truth be said - the dude came across as EMPTY. We had other Nigerian candidates with foreign MSc degrees and all.....we still did not hire any of them as they were ALL EMPTY. The guys employed were local candidates without Masters Degrees who knew , and most importantly could defend , their onions.....they were selected based on consensus amongst all 8 of us within the panel ( none of us within the panel were buddies at the time as we work in different roles in different locations so there was no way we could have helped any of the candidates ).......I could not have voted for my cousin as I would have been looked on by other members of the Panel as DAFT as well.

However , if you do not for any reason get your dream job in your dream organisation , I once again GUARANTEE that following the simple rules highlighted above , you would have enough "upstairs" to start up a successful venture of your own.

Cheers
wao! What an insightful post..thanks boss
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by Ogininafio1(m): 4:37pm On Aug 08, 2012
Mr sukomit why u come dey curse me now? No be u ask for feedback? Oga o!
Re: Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? by Ogininafio1(m): 8:44pm On Aug 08, 2012
Honestly, my people, I only drew sukomit's attention to an area where he needs to improve, and what do I get? Nefarious comments. I'm not criticising u my broda, just improve ur english dats all.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Does Oil Companies Pay Doctors And Pharmacists / See How Easy I Make Over $100 Daily Online From Home / Advice Me On Certification Course For Offshore Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.