Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? (2696 Views)

Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord / Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) / Do I Eject Him Forcefully? Please I Need An Urgent Answr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by skyy04(m): 2:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
I have issued a quit notice to all my tenants since April 2010 (2yrs and 4months ago) all has left the property except one Benin man with his family. I sent him 2nd notice in Feb. 2011 followed by phone calls to confirm when he will finally vacate the property. To cut story short He does not pay rent anymore and He’s still there, kept given promises upon promises that he’ll soon leave. My military friend visited him and gave him ultimatum till end
Of July nothing has changed because he has no time to revisit the house. This fela new I live abroad and also doesn’t care because Fashola’s law is in his favour. Last week I almost pay some area boys to throw him and his property on the street however I was advised not to because tenant law is in his favour.

My questions are:
What is the length of quit notice period that any landlord can give to their tenants?
Is there any law in favour of landlord?
Is it no longer allowed to give quit notice on ones property?
What is the quickest way (within 2 months) to drive this Benin man out, having in mind that both quit notice was issued by my lawyer and still have a copy at hand?

Thanks guys!
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by Acidosis(m): 3:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
Why "Benin man"?

. . .whats your plan sir, since you've spent 2years throwing tenants out of your property?
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by blank(f): 4:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
What are you paying your lawyer for?
Let him take him to court.
I think the only thing left is to serve him a notice of intent to recover premises for 7 working days then your lawyer shld take him to court. It does not only favour the tenant, the landlord can use it as well.

Good luck.
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by Pptyconcession: 2:18am On Aug 08, 2012
@skyy04
Dont go to court man,because its a secret that many landlord dont know that the State Tenancy Law favours TENANTS more than the owner.
You will easy eject him by going to the nearest Citizens Mediation Centre. Ask for the nearest one in your area. The Citizens Mediation Centre will help you out.
Just get there will all the copies of the previous letters sent to the man and also advice from them what to do.D
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by blank(f): 10:09am On Aug 08, 2012
I agree with your suggestion of the Mediation COurt but disagree with that on the law favouring the tenants. Have you gone to court and the judge said so? My dad's neighbour was evicted by the court, his properties were sold to pay the landlord for the money he was owing and he is currently having a police case to pay back the balance.

The law is working o.
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by skyy04(m): 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2012
Because I have waited too long and want him out by latest 2 months going to court is out of. Naija's justice system is very slow. Is the citizen mediation centre a governing body and valid as suggested in the post below?

Based on the length of notice period I gave this guy... Can't i organise someone to kick him out?
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by blank(f): 3:54pm On Aug 08, 2012
Once you organise someone to do that, you have lost your case ab initio. That is when you will see that the law favours the tenant. He will take you to court and you will spend 6 months in jail.

Keep things legal.
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by skyy04(m): 10:54am On Aug 09, 2012
Thanks blank
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by cliveland: 2:30pm On Aug 13, 2012
two question comes 2 my mind here, cos am lawyer myself...

1. its either you are too smart for your lawyer and has left u to you doom

2. you dont want pay he's fees to complete his job if you actually got a lawyer to issue the previous notices as claimed or just dont like paying professional fees as most naija dont and now looking for shortcuts to heaven.

so you intend achieving what you could not do in 2 years in 2 months smooth sailing i wish u.

because im sure if your lawyer knows his/her biz as i guess he/she should, ejecting tenants should not cos world war III, if all the requisite things are dont in time and properly, cos its 1 thing to do them and anoda to do them well. Jankara justice can neva help though, am sure u probably dont think the tenant is a foool.

my 5k advise.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by Blessingmoyo: 7:24pm On Sep 27, 2018
cliveland:
two question comes 2 my mind here, cos am lawyer myself...

1. its either you are too smart for your lawyer and has left u to you doom

2. you dont want pay he's fees to complete his job if you actually got a lawyer to issue the previous notices as claimed or just dont like paying professional fees as most naija dont and now looking for shortcuts to heaven.

so you intend achieving what you could not do in 2 years in 2 months smooth sailing i wish u.

because im sure if your lawyer knows his/her biz as i guess he/she should, ejecting tenants should not cos world war III, if all the requisite things are dont in time and properly, cos its 1 thing to do them and anoda to do them well. Jankara justice can neva help though, am sure u probably dont think the tenant is a foool.

my 5k advise.
Hmmmmmm
Re: How Can I Eject A Tenant From My Property? by Ballotelle(m): 8:38pm On Nov 05, 2023
blank:
I agree with your suggestion of the Mediation COurt but disagree with that on the law favouring the tenants. Have you gone to court and the judge said so? My dad's neighbour was evicted by the court, his properties were sold to pay the landlord for the money he was owing and he is currently having a police case to pay back the balance.

The law is working o.
How fast aas the process please

(1) (Reply)

Painting And Wall Finishes / 2 Plots Of Land With Global C Of O In Apapa Estate, Moniya,ibadan At N1.5m Each / IBEJU LEKKI IS TOO FAR!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.