Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 (2108 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Mobbed By Nigerians At London Resturant / Buhari Decorates 3 Injured Soldiers With Purple Heart Medal (Photos) / Akindele Mary, The Best Teacher In Ekiti State Who Won A Car (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by ektbear: 11:17am On Aug 12, 2012
So, let us say for the sake of argument that El Rufai failed as federal capital minister.

Does this mean that he is also responsible for Nigeria's lack of success in athletics in 2012?

I do not see how this logically follows.
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by onatisi(m): 11:18am On Aug 12, 2012
WikiLeaks: Okonjo-Iweala Ferried $50 Million
Jobs To Brother Posted: September 9, 2011 - 12:18 Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
By Saharareporters, New York As Minister of Finance under the government of
Olusegun Obasanjo, Nigeria’s returnee Minister of
Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Mrs.
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, steered public contracts to her
brother worth up to $50 million, with the help of the
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mr. Nasir El- Rufai, yet another WikiLeaks US cable issued in 2006 says.
The contracts were said to have been awarded to the man,
identified only as “JonJon,” for consulting work for the
ministry. The detailed cable, which spells out corruption allegations
against a variety of powerful Nigerians, are contained in a
cable in which the United States was considering response
to the corruption machine in Nigeria. Entitled
“CORRUPTION: NIGERIA "IMPROVES" TO SIXTH-WORST
IN THE WORLD...WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?” it followed the release by Transparency International of its
2005 Annual Corruption Perceptions, and it was written by
the Ambassador in Nigeria, Mr. John Campbell. It showed the ambassador considering using the tool of
U.S. visa revocations under Presidential Proclamation 7750
to punish corrupt Nigerian public officials, after noting
that President Obasanjos anti-corruption campaign was
widely perceived to be nothing more than a political witch
hunt by President Obasanjo, a view supported by examining cases targeted at high-level officials. Mr. El-Rufai was himself one of those profiled in the
cable, where he is identified as having been known to the
Embassy eight years earlier “when he was homeless and
seeking a loan to import a taxi from the UK.” Since that time, wrote the ambassador, El-Rufai was said
to have recently purchased seven upscale properties in a
posh Abuja neighborhood. “His demolitions of
commercial and residential buildings in the capital have
reportedly provided an opportunity for himself and
several of his friends. After demolishing residential properties in Kubwa, the land was reallocated to several of
his friends and to an investment company he allegedly
owns. The community of Chika, where about two square
miles of development was demolished in December, has
allegedly been allocated to the same group of
people. The cable pointed out that despite all of the headlines
being grabbed by the Economic and Financial Crimes
Commission (EFCC) and its chairman, Nuhu Ribadu, that
Commission as well as the Independent Corrupt Practices
Commission (ICPC), had won only a single conviction of a
high-level public official:, former Inspector-General of Police Tafa Balogun, who received a sentence of just six
months, less time served
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by obowunmi(m): 11:20am On Aug 12, 2012
Rhino is correct on el-rufai, japeth, and dino. Hypocrites
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by obowunmi(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr. El-Rufai was himself one of those profiled in the
cable, where he is identified as having been known to the
Embassy eight years earlier “when he was homeless and
seeking a loan to import a taxi from the UK.”

So I thought. #useless
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by onatisi(m): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2012
Another earth shaking revelation from Wikileaks
chronicling secret reports of American embassy on
developments in Nigeria has shown how former FCT
minister, Nasir El-Rufai emerged a sudden billionaire after
a few years in public office.
According to the secret cable," Al-Rufai is at the center of the corruption allegations. Well-known to PolCouns eight
year ago, when he was homeless and seeking a loan to
import a taxi from the UK, al-Rufai is said to have recently
purchased seven upscale properties in a posh Abuja
neighborhood. His demolitions of commercial and
residential buildings in the capital have reportedly provided an opportunity for himself and several of his
friends. After demolishing residential properties in Kubwa,
the land was reallocated to several of his friends and to an
investment company he allegedly owns. The community
of Chika, where about two square miles of development
was demolished in December, has allegedly been allocated to the same group of people."
Beside El-Rufai, the American cable also casts doubts over
the integrity of the newly appointed Finance Minister, Mrs
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala for allegedly using her position
under the administration of former president Olusegun
Obasanjo to secure a $50 million worth of government contracts for her brother.
"--Minister of Finance Ngozie Okonjo-Iweala is said to
have steered contracts to her brother (JonJon) with the
help of al-Rufai. The contracts, said to amount to about $
50 million, have been paid for consulting work for the
Ministry." The full text of cable is reproduced below:
Reference ID Created Released Classification Origin
06ABUJA483 2006-02-28 12:03 2011-08-30 01:44 SECRET
Embassy Abuja
VZCZCXRO1467
PP RUEHMR RUEHPA DE RUEHUJA #0483/01 0591203
ZNY SSSSS ZZH
P 281203Z FEB 06
FM AMEMBASSY ABUJA
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 4748
INFO RUEHZO/AFRICAN UNION COLLECTIVE PRIORITY RUCNFB/FBI WASHDC PRIORITY
RUEAWJA/DEPT OF JUSTICE WASHDC PRIORITY
S E C R E T SECTION 01 OF 04 ABUJA 000483
SIPDIS
SIPDIS
E.O. 12958: DECL: 03/01/2016 TAGS: PGOV PHUM KCOR KDEM CVIS NI
SUBJECT: CORRUPTION: NIGERIA "IMPROVES" TO
SIXTH-WORST IN
THE WORLD...WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?
REF: 2004 ABUJA 1991
Classified By: Ambassador John Campbell for Reasons 1.4 (b) and (d)
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by onatisi(m): 11:27am On Aug 12, 2012
he el rufai is as dirty as anyother politician
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by onatisi(m): 11:32am On Aug 12, 2012
ekt_bear: So, let us say for the sake of argument that El Rufai failed as federal capital minister.

Does this mean that he is also responsible for Nigeria's lack of success in athletics in 2012?

abiola was not the minister of sport when he was contributing to the development of sports in nigeria ,so also many others.but after stealing so much from the goverment coffres he has no right to come and start criticing the effect of the problem he was part of ,how much did he donate for the team that went to the olympics?tell me one atlehte he sponsored to the olympics?or do u think all those countries winning medals ,that private people or companies dont sponsor some atlehets ,the mans should just leave us as we are,we nigerians we have enough already and we dont want him to add his own
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 12, 2012
http://saharareporters.com/letter/wikileaks-and-fairy-tales-rejoinder-el-rufai

Mallam Nasir El Rufai is not amused by the fairy tales and lies presented about him in the leaked American embassy cables. It is clear that these series of low quality gists are sourced from chit-chats that are not subjected to the rigour of any scrutiny.

Thus a rumour filtered into a diplomat's ears may soon acquire the toga of fact as it forms the staple of reports back to the home government. And sadly, because these fiction writers enjoy diplomatic immunity under the Geneva Convention, they cannot be held accountable for their defamatory statements.

Mallam El Rufai refutes all the falsehood about his status prior to his entry into public service, and his record as BPE DG and FCT Minister. He acquired his first house in 1988, in Kaduna where he had been in professional practice as a quantity surveyor since 1982. He never had any contact with any US embassy official until he applied for an American visa in 1988. There is no official, named or un-named, in the US embassy who knew El-Rufai personally eight years prior to appointment as minister in 2003. He has had no need to seek any loans or to consider importing a taxi ever from anywhere, let alone from the United Kingdom which has a different driving system.

Regarding the claim that he possesses seven upscale properties in Abuja, he requests the talebearers at the American embassy to show him their location so that he can repossess them. The same reliance on malicious and unfounded rumours leads the American embassy to false reporting on the clean-up of Kubwa to avert flooding disasters . On Chika, one of the 49 villages along the airport road that are meant to be relocated, the FCT authorities acted to remove illegal settlements after the unauthorised settlement refused enumeration for future relocation. There were demolitions, but certainly not on two square miles - the whole of Chika then was less than that in area. No plots were allocated in Chika under his watch, as it had not been mapped and surveyed for any legal land allocation by the FCT administration.

Mallam El Rufai is also baffled by the claim that he influenced the award of Ministry of Finance contracts worth $50 million to the brother of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. He was not in charge of that ministry, but he was aware that the entire capital budget of the Finance minister was not near that amount.

As regards other reports that the said contract was for waste collection in the FCT administration, none of Okonjo-Iweala's siblings or their company was amongst the dozen companies selected via advertised competitive bidding to handle waste collection in Abuja. The records of these companies are still in the FCT administration for anyone wishing to check. And the FCT spent much less than a fraction of the stated amount for all the cleaning contracts! El Rufai did not award or steer any contract to Mrs Okonjo-Iweala's siblings.

El Rufai categorically denies having any interest in an oil block with or without Andy Uba, a man with whom he had nothing in common, and was barely on speaking terms when they were both in government. Those with oil blocks like General TY Danjuma of happily engage in philanthropy, and El-Rufai would wish to do the same with the ownership of oil blocks, but the fact is that El Rufai has no oil well.

Those that attach the same weight to all these leaked cables should note that there is a world of difference between the embellished statements made by specific officials to American embassy staffers, which are not wholly deniable, and a collection of rumours, fairy tales and speculation being passed off as an American set of facts. The allegations against El-Rufai were not attributed to a named, near-reliable source. They are all malicious conjecture aimed at showing that the leading lights in the Obasanjo administration were not clean even though Nigeria's TI ranking had improved, something the US officials did not want to come to terms with!

It is therefore advisable to approach some of the leaked cables as the product of tittle-tattles rather than as gospel truths. That diplomats have chosen to impress their governments by dressing up loose chatter and fabrications as facts should not escape the notice of the vigilant. These fictions may delight those who have chosen to believe the worst about every public officer, but it hardly changes the fact that Mallam Nasir El Rufai successfully served his country after a sterling professional career.

it is common knowledge that the john campbell cables are chaff - his successors cables were based on actual intelligence gathering and not the sort of gossip mongering team gej is known for
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 12, 2012
onatisi:
abiola was not the minister of sport when he was contributing to the development of sports in nigeria ,so also many others.but after stealing so much from the goverment coffres he has no right to come and start criticing the effect of the problem he was part of ,how much did he donate for the team that went to the olympics?tell me one atlehte he sponsored to the olympics?or do u think all those countries winning medals ,that private people or companies dont sponsor some atlehets ,the mans should just leave us as we are,we nigerians we have enough already and we dont want him to add his own

which means the shame on your guy gej is even more

btw what does that say about you? did you sponsor anybody?
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 12, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
My lady, el-rufai is a hypocrite and annoying one for that matter. The trio of Dino Maleye, J-Japhet Omojuwa and El-rufai are persistent irritants.

They'll always run down your battery unexpectedly with their g-force twitter alerts. I couldn't stand them for more than a day.

I cant stand 3 of them either

Forget those people, lets talk about BEAF @Renoomokri and the daily a.nal ra*pings he receives on twitter everyday.

P.S: El Rufai is right sha, isnt it a disgrace that even Osama Bin Laden's former adopted country won a medal and the so called Giant of Africa could even win zinc? How dem go win when all the money for training Athletes has been diverted to training the Lap Top Gang and Doyin Okupe?
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by Abagworo(m): 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2012
My observation is that our sports is not receiving as much funding as in the past. It takes good welfare to bring out the best in performance.
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by otokx(m): 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
Did Afghanistan really win a medal? El Rufai is trying so hard to become one of the faces of the opposition and as long as it keeps the incumbent politicians in check so be it but really he is not much different from the rest.

1 Like

Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by nduchucks: 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2012
ekt_bear: So, let us say for the sake of argument that El Rufai failed as federal capital minister.

The conclusions reached by the posters you responded to were not based on logic. You are expecting too much from people whose logic is highly influenced or even overwhelmed by tribalism and bigotry.

Can anyone deny the fact that our showing in this 2012 Olympics is anything but pathetic?
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by Rhino5dm: 1:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
You are right. @Renoomokri and his gang of attacking scoundrels are hopeless and pathetic. They foolishly think attacking people alone with impunity will deter them from speaking against the worst-ever government in history of mankind headed by retardeen. I pity them.

The 40 hungry laptop fools haven't change anything either,their case is as pathetic as their pay masters.

kingoflag:

I cant stand 3 of them either

Forget those people, lets talk about BEAF @Renoomokri and the daily a.nal ra*pings he receives on twitter everyday.

P.S: El Rufai is right sha, isnt it a disgrace that even Osama Bin Laden's former adopted country won a medal and the so called Giant of Africa could even win zinc? How dem go win when all the money for training Athletes has been diverted to training the Lap Top Gang and Doyin Okupe?
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by NaMe4: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2012
This guy still never figure out how to make any meaningful contribution to this Country.
The only thing e sabi na to make noise dey 'loiter' about social media.
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by onatisi(m): 2:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
ok lets reason rationally and for a few minutes leave insults and abuse out of it,that shows stark stupidity,i attacked el rufai and made some allegations aginst him that he too is part of the rot or cause of the rot in the nigerian system,ok for this assumption i am been insulted ok cool,but in the course of my arguements against el rufai and his like i have proffred solutions to the problem of sport in nigeria which is sponsorship by both private bodies and coopprate oragnisations,i even used abiolas case as an example and i also made example of other developed countries,
now this is my question since this dscourse started nd you guys have been blaming gej which one of you has EVEN GIVEN OR SUGGESTED A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM EITHER WORKABLE OR NOT?none but u keep on criticising.this el rufai critisies but never has suggested a solution to nigeria crisis .
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by bokohalal(m): 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2012
Argumentun ad hominem?
Honestly, do we still have a Minister for Sports? The person should honourably resign. Living in Toronto,you cannot help but notice how the Jamaicans are celebrating success.And the biggest black nation in the world does not even have a bronze to show.
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by bokohalal(m): 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
onatisi: ok lets reason rationally and for a few minutes leave insults and abuse out of it,that shows stark stupidity,i attacked el rufai and made some allegations aginst him that he too is part of the rot or cause of the rot in the nigerian system,ok for this assumption i am been insulted ok cool,but in the course of my arguements against el rufai and his like i have proffred solutions to the problem of sport in nigeria which is sponsorship by both private bodies and coopprate oragnisations,i even used abiolas case as an example and i
also made example of other developed countries,
now this is my question since this dscourse started nd you guys have been blaming gej which one of you has EVEN GIVEN OR SUGGESTED A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM
EITHER WORKABLE OR NOT?none but u keep on criticising.this el rufai critisies but never has suggested a solution to nigeria crisis .

If the Sports Minister and his or her ministry cannot find solution then they should scrap the ministry and let each sport association run its sport.
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by onatisi(m): 3:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
thank God some sensible people realise that gej is not the minister of sport and now they are bringing out suggestions on how to bring a positive change into the system to arrest decline in our sporting fortunes
Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by Eziachi: 5:41pm On Aug 12, 2012
onatisi: thank God some sensible people realise that gej is not the minister of sport and now they are bringing out suggestions on how to bring a positive change into the system to arrest decline in our sporting fortunes
I thought the minister of sport was an appointment of Jonathan and represents Jonathan?
If the Nigerian team had won 20 gold medals, I am sure you will be the first to give the glory to Jonathan or even some will say that it was his good luck that shined upon the team.
Nigerian woeful performance is an indicator of the state of that nation, when Mongolia etc with a population of some local councils in Nigeria are winning medals but a nation of close to 200 million people cannot. The money Jonathan will be paying Okupe just to be lying to the public will train a boxer towards gold in Rio next four years.
And you are busy thanking some unknown god. Let see if he will sack the minister of sports.

1 Like

Re: El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 6:04pm On Aug 12, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Malam is entitled to his own opinion.

Does that comment offend GEJ and his cabinet?

Only if it is a lie.
Abi oo. I wonder when Nigerians will start facing the issues rather than attacking the messanger.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Late Chief Efe Akpobi: How He Was Remembered & Forgottened At Deat By The Living / Nigeria's Forgotten Railroad History(photos) / Obama Warn American's In Nigeria To Stay Away From 14 States In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.