Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,388 members, 7,812,147 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (32501 Views)

The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again / Is Antifreeze The Radiator Coolant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Zaynee63: 11:15am On Aug 13, 2012
I have been using my Toyota 1997 Toyota Camry for some months now until I met someone who informed me that I better change my radiator from single to double cell if I want to enjoy the engine of the car and not end up with overheating issues. Is this true? The car's engine never show any sign of trouble o and I learnt that overheating issues will come sooner or later if you frequently spend a time in slow/static traffic (which happens to me more often because I work on the island and live in Ikeja).

Abeg, I need advice cuz I don't want to end up in the middle of the bridge sometime soon looking for water to cool a boiling radiator. undecided
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
Zaynee63:
I have been using my Toyota 1997 Toyota Camry for some months now until I met someone who informed me that I better change my radiator from single to double cell if I want to enjoy the engine of the car and not end up with overheating issues. Is this true? The car's engine never show any sign of trouble o and I learnt that overheating issues will come sooner or later if you frequently spend a time in slow/static traffic (which happens to me more often because I work on the island and live in Ikeja).

Abeg, I need advice cuz I don't want to end up in the middle of the bridge sometime soon looking for water to cool a boiling radiator. undecided

The Toyota Camry is also sold in the United States, Saudia Arabia, Australia, as well as other really hot countries. In Arizona, temps often exceed that of Nigeria, the same goes for parts of Australia. The overheating issues in Nigeria are more due to the fact lots of users run their cooling systems with 100% plain water, no coolant added. A bad move. Water has a lower boiling point than a water / coolant mix.

Also, wrong spark plug grades, fuel grades will make an engine run hotter. Some mechanics in Nigeria still go by one grade of spark plug fits all cars, which is not true. Just because a spark plug has the same thread, seat and reach of another does not mean they're the same.

11 Likes

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Martini101(m): 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
Oga Siena. My 1996 camry also overheats when i stay a long time in a traffic if my air condition is nt turned ON. What could be d cause? Thanks in anticipation
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
Martini101: Oga Siena. My 1996 camry also overheats when i stay a long time in a traffic if my air condition is nt turned ON. What could be d cause? Thanks in anticipation

Your car should have two electric fans - one for the engine, the other for your aircon. Switching your aircon on starts the aircon fan, which cools the aircon condenser, and at the same time draws heat from the engine, and cools the radiator.

If your engine's over heating when stationary for prolonged periods, and the aircon is not switched on (thus the aircon fan remains off) this would suggest your engine fan is not switching on when the coolant thermo switch should have triggered it. This could be as a result of a bad thermo switch, fan, burnt fuse or broken wiring. Get your car to a reputable auto shop (not roadside destroyer), and they should be able to sort it out.

6 Likes

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by t3ky(m): 8:14pm On Aug 13, 2012
@siena
Need your advice too.
I've noticed for sometime that part of the engine block of my car(camry'99) has a thin film of oil on it, where the cylinder head meets the engine block. The mechs I have shown this says there is nothing to worry about but What I've noticed was that the engine oil level becomes very low before I reach the 3rd month for lube change.
Advice is needed.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by zoogy2007: 8:38pm On Aug 19, 2012
I have been driving the same camry for 4 years now with the single cell radiator and i have never experienced any temperature issues.If your car was made in the US then please don listen to anybody. Use your radiator the way it came and always ensure that the two cooling fans are always functional. Have a good day.

3 Likes

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Martini101(m): 9:43pm On Aug 19, 2012
Oga siena. Thanks u re the best. I 'll check it out 2morow.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Trac: 3:59pm On Aug 21, 2012
Siena:

The Toyota Camry is also sold in the United States, Saudia Arabia, Australia, as well as other really hot countries. In Arizona, temps often exceed that of Nigeria, the same goes for parts of Australia. The overheating issues in Nigeria are more due to the fact lots of users run their cooling systems with 100% plain water, no coolant added. A bad move. Water has a lower boiling point than a water / coolant mix.

Also, wrong spark plug grades, fuel grades will make an engine run hotter. Some mechanics in Nigeria still go by one grade of spark plug fits all cars, which is not true. Just because a spark plug has the same thread, seat and reach of another does not mean they're the same.

This is right on the money. Many parts of America are hotter than Nigeria.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Ngutor(m): 9:46am On Aug 24, 2012
PLEASE how can one get the right spark plugs his/her car? Are spark plugs brand specific or car specific i.e honda/accord?
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by captalex(m): 1:11pm On Nov 12, 2012
zoogy2007: I have been driving the same camry for 4 years now with the single cell radiator and i have never experienced any temperature issues.If your car was made in the US then please don listen to anybody. Use your radiator the way it came and always ensure that the two cooling fans are always functional. Have a good day.

Mine is american(daytime running lights) and came with a leaky one-cell radiator that was why i went all out to buy and install a double-celled one.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 12, 2012
captalex: Mine is american(daytime running lights) and came with a leaky one-cell radiator that was why i went all out to buy and install a double-cell oned.

Yours is the Camry, with the coolant gauge seldom reaching midway on the scale, right?
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by captalex(m): 10:51pm On Nov 12, 2012
Siena:

Yours is the Camry, with the coolant gauge seldom reaching midway on the scale, right?

Yes siena it is, would attach a pic of the removed thermostat
and the radiator coolant i use as soon as i can shrink the images.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 11:57pm On Nov 12, 2012
captalex:

Yes siena it is, would attach a pic of the removed thermostat
and the radiator coolant i use as soon as i can shrink the images.

No worries bro. The thermostat will make quite a difference to your gas mileage. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by captalex(m): 4:20pm On Nov 13, 2012
hey siena,
went back to the mechanic to put the thermostat back in.He looked really surprised but i insisted that i would like it to be put back in the car.
He put it back and replaced the pipe.
But as soon as i started the car and left it to warm-up for a while, the temperature gauge just went bizzare and got very close to the H (upper) part of the gauge.
I had to call him back to remove it again and he just smiled telling me that removal of the thermostat wouldn't harm my engine and by the time he opened the bonnet to do that, the water in the reservoir was already boiling to my surprise, which indicated that the thermostat was doing more harm than good to the radiator.

Thanks for your advice, I usually like to experiment and see that a certain thing is responsible for my cars' fault and not just to believe it as i'm told.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
captalex: hey siena,
went back to the mechanic to put the thermostat back in.He looked really surprised but i insisted that i would like it to be put back in the car.
He put it back and replaced the pipe.
But as soon as i started the car and left it to warm-up for a while, the temperature gauge just went bizzare and got very close to the H (upper) part of the gauge.
I had to call him back to remove it again and he just smiled telling me that removal of the thermostat would harm my engine and by the time he opened the bonnet to do that, the water in the reservoir was already boiling to my surprise, which indicated that the thermostat was doing more harm than good to the radiator.

Thanks for your advice, I usually like to experiment and see that a certain thing is responsible for my cars' fault and not just to believe it as i'm told.

The only reasons your engine would boil with the thermostat replaced, is if there's an underlying issue.

* Thermostat is faulty (stuck in the closed position).
* The thermostat was incorrectly fitted.
* The mechanic did not bleed the system after replacement. Of course this would be better for him, as it would prove to you (the owner who dared insist he replaced it in the first place) that he was right. And of course you'd be convinced he knows his job, and wouldn't question any decisions he made with regards your car in the near future.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by captalex(m): 9:09pm On Nov 13, 2012
Siena:

The only reasons your engine would boil with the thermostat replaced, is if there's an underlying issue.

* Thermostat is faulty (stuck in the closed position).
* The thermostat was incorrectly fitted.
* The mechanic [b]did not bleed the system [/b]after replacement. Of course this would be better for him, as it would prove to you (the owner who dared insist he replaced it in the first place) that he was right. And of course you'd be convinced he knows his job, and wouldn't question any decisions he made with regards your car in the near future.

Points noted siena.
when he told one of his boys to reinstall the thermostat,the boy just placed the thermostat inside a valve and i asked if it wasn't supposed to sit properly before he sealed the pipe with glue, but he said there wouldn't be any issues.
Way forward now siena?
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by enquirydon: 12:55am On Nov 15, 2012
house please,help me out this issues,i just bought a tokunbo madza 626,i just discovered that d temperature of d temoster is high, what can i do.thanks
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 1:01am On Nov 15, 2012
enquirydon: house please,help me out this issues,i just bought a tokunbo madza 626,i just discovered that d temperature of d temoster is high, what can i do.thanks

You need to give more detail bro. What do you class as high? Where does your temperature gauge settle?
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by enquirydon: 1:15am On Nov 15, 2012
sir, it has gone beyond d half of the teperature guage , and my mechanic said i should remove d thermostart, while a friend said i should change radiator 2 double cell .thanks 4 respond

1 Like

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by arabey20: 4:09pm On Nov 15, 2012
sienna, can you please give your mail address cos you happen to be the most enlightened here. my mechanic is suggesting i change my radiator to double cell, just bought the camry and have not driven it
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
arabey20: sienna, can you please give your mail address cos you happen to be the most enlightened here. my mechanic is suggesting i change my radiator to double cell, just bought the camry and have not driven it

ask yourself does the car manufacturer no less than your merchanic he thinks the toyota people got it wrong by putting a single cell radiator

aslong the radiator is not leaking and not blocked and the has right amount of cooliant and thermo working fine, your car should run fine with that single cell radiator
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2012
enquirydon: sir, it has gone beyond d half of the teperature guage , and my mechanic said i should remove d thermostart, while a friend said i should change radiator 2 double cell .thanks 4 respond

Halfway mark on your coolant gauge is approximately 88 - 90 degrees C. So past the midway mark is fine. Big V8 engines run as hot as 100 degrees. The red zone is 120 degrees and beyond. As long as it's not in the red sector, your engine is not overheating.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
arabey20: sienna, can you please give your mail address cos you happen to be the most enlightened here. my mechanic is suggesting i change my radiator to double cell, just bought the camry and have not driven it

You haven't driven the car. It's not overheating. Yet your "mechanic" is ready to rip you off, and cause issues you don't want, by replacing your radiator (and no doubt removing your thermostat, and wiring your cooling fan to run constantly).

Please, don't let this guy ruin your new car. My email (and all contact details) are in my signature.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by arabey20: 3:10pm On Nov 16, 2012

You haven't driven the car. It's not overheating. Yet your "mechanic" is ready to rip you off, and cause issues you don't want, by replacing your radiator (and no doubt removing your thermostat, and wiring your cooling fan to run constantly).

Please, don't let this guy ruin your new car. My email (and all contact details) are in my signature.

Thanks for the prompt response, i have already mailed you with the latest report of the second opinion i sought about the car from another mechanic
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 16, 2012
^^^ No worries bud. I'll go through the email later.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by cecegorz(m): 10:12am On Nov 18, 2012
Zaynee63:

You may live to regret if you follow this quack advise by most 'unschooled' mechanics and Ladipo traders.
Sometime early this year, I noticed a thin line crack on my radiator, and it was leaking water, so I went to a mechanic who said we should go to Ladipo and buy a replacement.
Strangely they keep saying that I will have to buy a double-cell since the OEM single-cell is not good for Nigeria, and is not in the market. (the car already did 3years in Nigeria without a single engine problem)
With serious doubt in my mind, but with no option I told them to fix the double-cell. But I was observant to notice that they removed the thermostat and once I start the engine, both radiator and AC fans comes up instantly which is abnormal.
I just told them immediately to dismount it and put my old one back. Since the leak is just manageable I will be topping water in the mornings till I get OEM replacement.
The next day, I went to a Professional auto mech shop and bought brand new OEM @30k and replaced the stuff with peace of mind.
So, what these quacks just do is to condemn whatever component they don't understand in a car and put in their make-shift solution, which will perpetually make your car to misbehave.

10 Likes

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2012
cecegorz:
You may live to regret if you follow this quack advise by most 'unschooled' mechanics and Ladipo traders.
Sometime early this year, I noticed a thin line crack on my radiator, and it was leaking water, so I went to a mechanic who said we should go to Ladipo and buy a replacement.
Strangely they keep saying that I will have to buy a double-cell since the OEM single-cell is not good for Nigeria, and is not in the market. (the car already did 3years in Nigeria without a single engine problem)
With serious doubt in my mind, but with no option I told them to fix the double-cell. But I was observant to notice that they removed the thermostat and once I start the engine, both radiator and AC fans comes up instantly which is abnormal.
I just told them immediately to dismount it and put my old one back. Since the leak is just manageable I will be topping water in the mornings till I get OEM replacement.
The next day, I went to a Professional auto mech shop and bought brand new OEM @30k and replaced the stuff with peace of mind.
So, what these quacks just do is to condemn whatever component they don't understand in a car and put in their make-shift solution, which will perpetually make your car to misbehave.

Good, real-life experience. I hope others will learn from you.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by captalex(m): 8:52pm On Nov 18, 2012
cecegorz:

Could you describe where this workshop is located and what brands of cars they specialize on?
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by cecegorz(m): 2:22pm On Nov 19, 2012
captalex:

Could you describe where this workshop is located and what brands of cars they specialize on?

It's the guy that runs Automedics Radio program every morning on Radio 102.3FM
The WorkShop is Automaze, Morrison Ave,off Kudirat/Oregun road. Ikeja
I can't say their specialty. I use Toyota though. I 've also seen most brands there; Honda, Benz, VW, BMW etc
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by arabey20: 7:55am On Nov 20, 2012
cecegorz:

I can't say their specialty. I use Toyota though. I 've also seen most brands there; Honda, Benz, VW, BMW etc

Does the automedics guy have a shop in Abuja?
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by cecegorz(m): 9:15pm On Nov 20, 2012
arabey20:

Does the automedics guy have a shop in Abuja?
Nah. Lagos only
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by captalex(m): 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2012
cecegorz:

Is it located before i get to the Opebi-link bridge?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LandRover Unveils Its Most Expensive Model Ever,£177k RangeRover SVAutobiograhy / Transformation Of Mercedes Benz Logo: The Best Or Nothing / Check Out The Mercedes G-Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.