Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,335 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? (2164 Views)

10 Things Your Mother Never Told You… Warning! This Will Leave You In Tears! / How Would You React If Your Newly Married Wife Told You This / Share Your [pregnancy] Cravings Stories/Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by seasonedmom: 1:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
The health hazards and truama of birthing an abnormal child is beginning to make an entrance to our society as I see more and more of kids with congenital ailments being born. Maybe I have not been too observant before now but it seems the incidence of abnormality is on the increase. That brings the topic or issue of how our society sees the issue of termination of so called high risk pregnancy especially if the baby will be born malformed.
This is the question? if your doctor tells you the baby you are carrying is likely to be malformed at say age 8weeks of the preggie, would you abort it?
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
Yes!

That's why I dont encourage AS-AS marriage!

Why bring a child into this world to suffer
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by obowunmi(m): 1:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
Prevention is always better than cure.
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by enaye1(f): 1:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ehen, ok replies here, but wait till you hear a similar/different thread here before your replies pls posters

http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,72.0.html
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by EfemenaXY: 1:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
seasoned_mom: The health hazards and truama of birthing an abnormal child is beginning to make an entrance to our society as I see more and more of kids with congenital ailments being born. Maybe I have not been too observant before now but it seems the incidence of abnormality is on the increase. That brings the topic or issue of how our society sees the issue of termination of so called high risk pregnancy especially if the baby will be born malformed.
This is the question? if your doctor tells you the baby you are carrying is likely to be malformed at say age 8weeks of the preggie, would you abort it?

It's relative and depends on the parents outlook on life.

Some won't do it for religious purposes. Some who've been searching for the fruit of the womb for years, and I mean really searching, would see it as a blessing and keep the child.

It also depends on the level of disability the child would be born with. It's such a wide spectrum that generalizing the issue and conforming it to a simple "yes" or "no" answer is not adequate. Having said that, I remember seeing a gentleman with Down's Syndrome employed by a university as one of their Technical IT support staff.

So it does depend on a lot of factors, such as where you are, the available facilities to support the child from birth, through schooling and onto it's adult years, job opportunities and most importantly, the emotional strength and commitment of the parents.

2 Likes

Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by seasonedmom: 2:11pm On Aug 14, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Some won't do it for religious purposes. Some who've been searching for the fruit of the womb for years, and I mean really searching, would see it as a blessing and keep the child.

It also depends on the level of disability the child would be born with. It's such a wide spectrum that generalizing the issue and conforming it to a simple "yes" or "no" answer is not adequate. Having said that, I remember seeing a gentleman with Down's Syndrome employed by a university as one of their Technical IT support staff.

So it does depend on a lot of factors, such as where you are, the available facilities to support the child from birth, through schooling and onto it's adult years, job opportunities and most importantly, the emotional strength and commitment of the parents.
You hit the nail on the head here, in our naija society, we simply dont have any support, be it financial, emotional or otherwise for such and it defintely creates a hugh burden on the family sadly enough especially with the social stigma of the uninformed(which makes up for a large group here)
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by Jellitah: 7:44am On Feb 09, 2013
I won't even wait for the doctor. . . .all the man has to do is lay his fingers on me. . .or show any signs of 'domestic' abuse. . . I will even H-ABORT the baby at ANY AGE AFTER DELIVERY! cool Some 'evil' seeds should not be allowed to germinate!!! kiss
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by greatgod2012(f): 8:45am On Feb 09, 2013
Jellitah: I won't even wait for the doctor. . . .all the man has to do is lay his fingers on me. . .or show any signs of 'domestic' abuse. . . I will even H-ABORT the baby at ANY AGE AFTER DELIVERY! cool Some 'evil' seeds should not be allowed to germinate!!! kiss

so, u mean u will kill your child if his/her father abuse you in any form?
Why transfering d aggression on d innocent child/children.
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by Jellitah: 12:16pm On Feb 09, 2013
greatgod2012:

so, u mean u will kill your child if his/her father abuse you in any form?
Why transfering d aggression on d innocent child/children.

That child can never be innocent. . .especially with 23 chromosomes from a 'violent BEAST of burden'!

ANSWER: YES!!!!I CAN NEVER ALLOW AN IMBECEEELE TO GERMINATE INSIDE MOI. . . .I CAN CHANGE MY MIND EVEN AFTER BIRTHING IT! kiss

The reason Nigeria and Nairaland is full of deranged monkeys. . .possessed by the spirit of DISCONTENT.

I can NEVER LOVE A CHILD FROM AN ABUSIVE MAN! ESPECIALLY IF HE IS MALE. . . HE HAS TO DIE. . . LIKE HIS DADDY!!!kiss

I endorse this message! cool
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by bluedum: 1:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
probably not
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by smartmom(f): 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2013
Efemena_xy:

All I see of kids and adults with Downs is being treated as imbeciles and contempt. Matter of fact its a social stigma to birth such a child, so very sad, yet to hear your observation above, its not a hopeless situation then. I believe that all kids especially if its not as a result of the parents knowledge (like 2 AS/AS parents) the pregnancy should not be aborted. I know a couple who were told in London that their baby would be malformed if born but they took a chance a 50/50 and today they have a brilliant, big and smart boy. Whenever I see him, I shudder to think he was almost not born.
Re: Will You Terminate Your Pregnancy If The Doctor Told You To? by Popowaa: 2:32pm On Feb 15, 2013
If the complications re very serious

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO 2 Young Women Abused And Publicly Humiliated For Stealing In Zimbabwe / Health, Skin, Hair & Cooking Benefits Of UNREFINED SEA SALT / Angry Woman Flogs Couple With Plank After Catching Them Having Sex In Bush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.