Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls (13821 Views)

Towns Where Banks Don’t Open Except Customers See Armoured Tanks / Ibadan's Shopping Malls: The More, The Merrier? (and Images) / Why Are There So Few Fast Food Joints And Malls In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Obiagu1(m): 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
As growth slows, China's huge investment in infrastructure is looking ever harder to sustain, leaving a string of ambitious projects - towns, shopping malls and even a theme park - empty and forlorn.

"We have spoken a lot about these ghost towns in Ireland and Spain recently [but China] is Ireland and Spain on steroids," says Kevin Doran, a senior investment fund manager at Brown Shipley in the UK.

Investment in infrastructure accounts for much of China's GDP - the country is said to have built the equivalent of Rome every two months in the past decade. And with such a large pool of labour, it is harder to put the brakes on when growth slows and supply outstrips demand.

"You have got seven to eight million people entering the workforce in China every single year, so you have to give them something to do in order to retain the legitimacy of the government," says Doran.

"Maybe 10 or 15 years ago they were doing things that made sense - roads, rail, power stations etc - but they have now got to the point where it's investment for investment's sake."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19049254

So which are the most striking of these white elephants?
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Obiagu1(m): 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
New city of Chenggong, Yunnan

"In Chenggong, there are more than 100,000 new apartments with no occupants," according to the World Bank's Holly Krambeck.
Designed as an overspill point for nearby Kunming, a city of nearly six-and-a-half million, Chenggong began to take shape in 2003.

High-rise apartment blocks have mushroomed but today it is still largely deserted after failed attempts by the authorities to attract new residents.

Matteo Damiani, an Italian journalist who worked for seven years in Kunming, has visited Chenggong several times, photographing empty tower blocks that loom over gigantic plazas, peopled only by enormous works of art.

He found a small community of students, workers and security guards but nobody else.

"The suburbs and even the city centre are empty," he says. "You can find a big stadium, shopping malls and hundreds of buildings finished but abandoned."

There is even an area for luxury villas that is totally abandoned, he adds.

It is said to be one of the biggest ghost cities in Asia.

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Obiagu1(m): 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
New South China Mall, Dongguang, Guangdong

The distinction of being the world's biggest ghost mall, or emptiest shopping centre, may belong to this vast complex on the outskirts of Dongguang, a city of 10 million.

You may think the mall would be booming, with a population of that size, but the vast majority of its 1,500 stores have been empty since it was finished in 2005.

It has been hurt by poor transport infrastructure. As one blogger puts it, "unfortunately it was built in the middle of nowhere".

When Australian broadcaster SBS visited, they found a solitary toyshop owner who waits days at a time to sell a toy.

It is not as though the developers did not try. They threw in a canal, windmills and replicas of the Campanile from St Mark's Square in Venice and the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. The mall's website says it is "bound to be a miracle of commercial history".

"It's a building where you can see that there was some activity earlier - though very little - but it's like a ghost town," writes Netherlands-based blogger Mathilde Teuben, who visited two years ago.

"The very few shops that are there are deserted of customers. It was also funny to see some of the promotional posters for the mall which mostly depicted happy Caucasian children."

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by asha80(m): 8:28pm On Aug 14, 2012
maybe because there are no actual productive business in the towns?shopping malls are not really productive businesses per say.they need a large concetration of people in area to thrive unless the town is a trade route.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by 999666: 8:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
I believe this is the link:

The Chinese are not really interested in living in exact replica of a British countryside or a Manhattan style island; all they want to do is to be gainfully employed at building them.

1 Like

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by 2mch(m): 8:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
Everyone wants to be where the action is. If you like build 1million malls, if work, money and businesses is lacking the place will be dead. They will have to give companies an incentive to create branches in that place before anything starts happening there. This is a pure case of developers underestimating human behavior and not involving government/companies in their plans.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by asha80(m): 8:50pm On Aug 14, 2012
999_666: I believe this is the link:

The Chinese are not really interested in living in exact replica of a British countryside or a Manhattan style island; all they want to do is to be gainfully employed at building them.

maybe the developers did not factor that.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by 999666: 9:00pm On Aug 14, 2012
I am no doomsayer but i think this article gives a better perspective of the disadvantages of having access to cheap credit and market speculation:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/03/china_s_debt_bomb

Although I think that the author is a little bit condescending in his write up
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Obiagu1(m): 12:33am On Aug 15, 2012
Wonderland Amusement Park, Nankou Town, Changping

The Disneyesque castle and medieval ramparts of this theme park north of Beijing, conceived nearly 20 years ago, lie abandoned. Local farmers grow crops among the empty buildings.

In the mid-1990s, developers had promised to build the largest amusement park in Asia, but the project got mothballed over a land rights dispute.

The site does in fact attract visitors, according to locals quoted by Chinese media, but hardly the sort the developers had in mind - they are drawing students, photographers and artists from Beijing, apparently, in search of a "ruin culture".

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by ektbear: 12:35am On Aug 15, 2012
Interesting.

Nice thread.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by pcicero(m): 12:57am On Aug 15, 2012
I'm afraid the same fate might await our Tinapa. I heard the malls are largely unoccupied.

The FG and Cross River state govt should resolve all the thorny issues revolving around it to prevent it from going down the drain.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by 2mch(m): 1:06am On Aug 15, 2012
pcicero: I'm afraid the same fate might await our Tinapa. I heard the malls are largely unoccupied.

The FG and Cross River state govt should resolve all the thorny issues revolving around it to prevent it from going down the drain.

I think Tinapa can work if it becomes a hub for the railways. That is every region has access to it by railway. Fast and efficient railways. Railways will become Nigeria's most secure form of transportation in years to come. The state government on its own can start promoting enterprenuership by providing loans to small scale enterprenuers who have property as collateral and giving them adequate time to repay the loans. They should prevent companies like Shoprite and Walmart from entering their state. Unlike my foolish state government of Lagos angry

1 Like

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by fuqua: 2:16am On Aug 15, 2012
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Kenyaphilia: 3:07am On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1: New South China Mall, Dongguang, Guangdong

[size=14pt]"The very few shops that are there are deserted of customers. It was also funny to see some of the promotional posters for the mall which mostly depicted happy Caucasian children[/size]."
When it comes to the worshiping of anything white/Caucasian, the Chinese and the Filipinos excel with flying colors. Imagine they are building these things for their people and choosing Caucasian faces to advertise them sad
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Kenyaphilia: 3:10am On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1: As growth slows, China's huge investment in infrastructure is looking ever harder to sustain, leaving a string of ambitious projects - towns, shopping malls and even a theme park - empty and forlorn.

"We have spoken a lot about these ghost towns in Ireland and Spain recently [but China] is Ireland and Spain on steroids," says Kevin Doran, a senior investment fund manager at Brown Shipley in the UK.

Investment in infrastructure accounts for much of China's GDP - the country is said to have built the equivalent of Rome every two months in the past decade. And with such a large pool of labour, it is harder to put the brakes on when growth slows and supply outstrips demand.

"You have got seven to eight million people entering the workforce in China every single year, so you have to give them something to do in order to retain the legitimacy of the government," says Doran.

"Maybe 10 or 15 years ago they were doing things that made sense - roads, rail, power stations etc - but they have now got to the point where it's investment for investment's sake."

So which are the most striking of these white elephants?
By the way, they also built these ghost cities in Angola. It is quite massive but the apartments are way expensive.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Obiagu1(m): 3:26am On Aug 15, 2012
Thames Town, Shanghai

Photographers who visit this imitation English town generally come not to capture decay but newlyweds, posing in front of mock-Tudor buildings and red phone boxes.

The Shanghai suburb boasts a market square, a castle, a neo-gothic church, cobbled streets, a pub, a chip shop, Georgian-style houses and statues of well-known English figures, such as Winston Churchill, James Bond and Harry Potter.

As a backdrop, Thames Town is a hit with the wedding industry, but that is about it.

"The city is a virtual ghost town, with empty shops and unused roads," according to an article in Business Insider.

Yet perhaps not all is lost. Apartments have reportedly been sold, to buyers who want them as investments and second homes.

The proof of the developers' pudding may lie in news that the construction of another mock English town is being planned near Beijing.

"Four miles of polluted rivers running through 1,000 acres of blighted semi-rural land will be restored and landscaped into scenic standards becoming of the English countryside,"

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Obiagu1(m): 3:27am On Aug 15, 2012
New business district, Yujiapu, Tianjin

Perhaps you can copy a small English town, but how about Manhattan?

If Chinese developers have their way, the name Yujiapu will be synonymous with international finance a decade from now.

They say they are laying the foundations of the world's biggest financial zone in the muck of the northern port city of Tianjin.

However, the Reuters news agency suggests that they had to scale back their ambition recently to achieving something short of "the next Shanghai".

Tianjin now styles itself as China's home of private equity, offering firms generous tax breaks to set up there.

Meanwhile, the city looks set for a glut of prime office space.

"Tianjin... will soon have more prime office space than will be filled in a quarter-century at the current absorption rate," says business magazine Forbes.

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Obiagu1(m): 3:33am On Aug 15, 2012
Tinapa Resort, Calabar, Nigeria

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Duxe(f): 4:00am On Aug 15, 2012
coolTinapa booms mainly during xmas. Even at that, it is mostly d swimming pool that attracts people.

That being said..visit calabar this xmas, n have a life time experience!
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by dasparrow: 4:04am On Aug 15, 2012
@Post

Interesting thread. I just finished watching the youtube video someone posted on this thread. Men, face-me-I-face-you style of cohabiting is not just found in Africa oh! Chai! Poverty dey China. No wonder they (chinese) keep flocking to Africa as economic scavengers. We Africans better look out before chinese people take over our homeland. You people should watch the youtube video that was posted in this thread by a fellow forumite and educate yourselves. Nowhere is rosy in this world anymore.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by alienYOUTH(m): 4:13am On Aug 15, 2012
cc @Moderators This is d kind of Topic dat shld be making frontpage...not pictures of anorexic baboons dat claim to resemble Rihanna. More of this pls.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Nobody: 4:32am On Aug 15, 2012
I really have to see this thread on a pc before i make a valid commentundecided
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by duni04(m): 6:01am On Aug 15, 2012
2mch:

I think Tinapa can work if it becomes a hub for the railways. That is every region has access to it by railway. Fast and efficient railways. Railways will become Nigeria's most secure form of transportation in years to come. The state government on its own can start promoting enterprenuership by providing loans to small scale enterprenuers who have property as collateral and giving them adequate time to repay the loans. They should prevent companies like Shoprite and Walmart from entering their state. Unlike my foolish state government of Lagos angry
So that u and your father's company will come and sell us dirty meat or maggot infested bread abi. Nonsense! Wonder if u even went to school. Do you know how much the Lagos state government is earning from taxes from these malls? How much could small scale shop owners possibly contribute in taxes to debt ridden cross rivers state? Will people travel from across Nigeria to Tinapa to shop from small scale shop owners?
I suggest you stop spewing nonsense on the internet and put on your thinkink cap for once.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by martin92(m): 6:34am On Aug 15, 2012
mtcheew. Hw does dis change the price of garri in the market

1 Like

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 15, 2012
This is biased Reporting. China is planning for the future. During the time of economic growth and Oil windfall, this is what Abacha was supposed to do, massive infrastructural developments. If China does not invest in infrastructural developments, where else do you expect them to plough back the excessive liquidity in the system. In foreign reserves in USA, Switzerland and UK like Nigeria and other third world countries do? I think what the government needs to do now is introduce mortgage subsidy in the housing market and make it available to the poor. China is building for the future and its admirable. Its a monumental display of positivism to keep building more even when there are many ghost towns, and its quite a lesson to learn from such courage. Even if its a way of providing jobs for the teaming population. USA needs to start learning from China in this regard instead of criticizing. I know they are using their press in the last attempt to rubbish China. The China I know, can not be stopped via propaganda.

4 Likes

Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by gregg2: 7:06am On Aug 15, 2012
Interesting thread. . . but Tinapa will definitely bounce back.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 15, 2012
duni04:
So that u and your father's company will come and sell us dirty meat or maggot infested bread abi. Nonsense! Wonder if u even went to school. Do you know how much the Lagos state government is earning from taxes from these malls? How much could small scale shop owners possibly contribute in taxes to debt ridden cross rivers state? Will people travel from across Nigeria to Tinapa to shop from small scale shop owners?
I suggest you stop spewing nonsense on the internet and put on your thinkink cap for once.

You also don't know that Tina pa was not set up to serve only the Nigerian market,Home grown businesses and shops could also pay the same amount of taxes.It is centrally located to serve west and central Africa with the right infrastructure people will come.Nigerians have been flying to Dubai to shop and holiday as well.Pls always allow people to say what they have to say,you dont have everything.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by oiseworld: 8:10am On Aug 15, 2012
i enjoyed this.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by duni04(m): 8:10am On Aug 15, 2012
olas2u:

You also don't know that Tina pa was not set up to serve only the Nigerian market,Home grown businesses and shops could also pay the same amount of taxes.It is centrally located to serve west and central Africa with the right infrastructure people will come.Nigerians have been flying to Dubai to shop and holiday as well.Pls always allow people to say what they have to say,you dont have everything.
Ironic cos quiet a number of these 'strong' small businesses pulled out of Tinapa recently cos they couldn't cope with the exorbitant rent, even when they're not being charged taxes. Tinapa is also supposed to be tax free for a period of time hence the cross rivers state government stands to gain almost nothing, even when the place is up and running. The only incentive to the people of cross rivers is the money that potential tourists will spend while in the state, nothing else. Not taxes, not levies, nothing.
Re: China's Ghost Towns And Phantom Malls by HisMajesty1(m): 8:19am On Aug 15, 2012
America and media imperialism! I dont know how, but my mind tells me that this infrastuctural investments by the Chinese will pay them sometime in the not to distant future.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Questions Every Woman Should Ask Before Starting A Business / Keystone Bank Introduces ‘Cheque Deposit’ In Mobile App In Nigeria / Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.