Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! (17255 Views)

PHCN Official Electrocuted On A Pole At Police College In Lagos (Photos) / Buhari's Portrait Hung On A Pole In Cameroon (Photo) / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by maasoap(m): 5:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sky Blue:

Stop peddling such utter tripe, this is a culture of indiscipline, period. There were different bands of charge rates presented to the public, and people were being charged according to there level of income, which I believe was estimated by how much power they consume. And based on the new rates, people seen as "poor" were actually meant to be paying LESS than what they used to pay for power before. So what are you talking about, or is there something I might be genuinely missing?

You can't be shouting that people's electricity run out and they are poor when they are trying to power a million and one appliances on standby in their homes. This should simply force people to be more energy conscious - something the rest of the world has already gotten used to a long time ago!
How do you know people who are using R1 in your area or your town? The truth is that there are no R1 anywhere. I went to PHCN last Tuesday to pay our bill, I saw a computer print-out detailing various billing methods pasted on their notice board, I swear to God that was no inclusion of R1 there. This is because they have moved the few customers who might have been on R1 in past to R2. I live in Osogbo and there are people who have been classified as "urban poor" by PHCN mgt itself living there.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by miteolu(m): 5:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
kensandrea:

SO WATING HAPPEN NAH SINCE EVERYBODY CORRUPT E NO BAD MAKE WE JOIN ENJOY THE SMALL ONE WEY WE SEE LOL

[size=13pt]The people you mentioned get back bone but if you try such life imprisonment straaaaaaaaaaaight [/size]
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by AjanleKoko: 5:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
ekt_bear: I guess for many Nigerians, theft is OK, so long as the criminal is a poor man.

Even if the end result of that theft is likely poor power supply and limited investor interest in Nigerian electricity.

Hehehe. Robin Hood philosophy.
Though you can't blame the people. Truth be told, you cannot misgovern people for so long, and turn around to tell them, oh you guys are so badly behaved, or: now I'll provide the service but you must now pay a premium for it.

The best way to fix thing isn't to start taxing the people across board. Tax the well-off in Nigeria, make them pay for infrastructure. Supply the infrastructure to the less-privileged, subsidize their living.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by drnoel: 5:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
One_Naira: Very dangerous. So disheartening.

Chiamanda once said, the best way to fix Nigeria is by reteaching the people right and wrong.

that is saidly a true statement cos nigerians have shown to be completely unscrupplous.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by airfinance(m): 5:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
O boy poverty they lite no stable PHCN abi na NEPA dey rip people off with that yeye meter card.
How people no go tap lite now.
Infact for here na 500 naira Nepa go collect hellep yu tap korrokorro
Make leave talk abeg
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Dafeclement: 5:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mr am not in surport of indicipline but is the increase in tariff not too much
mesef: There's new development in Lagos since PHCN stabilized electricity...Lagosians especially around the mainland,are beginning to connect their electricity directly to the wire poles because they feel they exhaust their meter card too quickly and they do not want to buy the meter recharge cards again!!just imagine!!

Its so sad that we quick judge and chastise the govt and authorities but we forget to start the discipline from ourselves and our environs...

Its sad and disheartening!
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by maasoap(m): 5:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
The increment in per unit charge ranges between 200% and 300% for both poor and rich consumers of electricity just because power rose to 4,250MW from 4,000MW.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Pennywise(m): 6:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
Na wao. People get liver sha. What I hear is commonly being done is giving limited load to meter so that the meter can slow down. If for instance you get 20k/mth this can be brought down to a manageable 1.5k/mth. grin grin

Honestly I was embarrassed when a good friend (educated, well travelled and comfortable) suggested this.

Sure there is good money for investors but coys that are taking over distributorship from PHCN should be ready to commit a size-able portion of their earnings into enforcement. Cash profit shouldnt be priority in the short term.

This unfortunate pattern of behaviour will continue for a while but it will eventually become sth even the ordinary Nigerian frowns at. It is a carryover of the evil and corrupting spirit of NEPA AND PHCN- one of an unending quest to compromise the system for personal gain without considering consequences.

A certain other person I know tampered with his digital meter in some way and this got to the attention of relevant officials. They yanked off the wire and meter, and with the help of the police he was arrested and thrown into cell. After the usual 'bail money' he had to source for 70k to 'close the case' and get his meter back. He has not forgotten the horror of an experience.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by wolebaba(m): 6:15pm On Aug 16, 2012
O_D_B:

I don't know why Boko-Haram won't start bombing Lagos.

O_D_B when were you released from Yaba left? The doctors didnt do a gud job of treating yo madness ooooo, berra go back.................
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Evans5050: 6:15pm On Aug 16, 2012
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by omosexy1: 6:18pm On Aug 16, 2012
donkarly: its very dangerous,but i dont blame those that do it in a way.the new meter is set by phcn to run very fast so they'll be making much money.my friend who stays in okota was using the old meter until sometime last year when the new meter was installed.the 1st n 2nd card finished within one month n when one of the guys that installed it was contacted,my friend was asked to pay a certain amount which he did for the meter to be reset.i'll rather blame phcn for the trend..

Nigerians always looking for who to blame.....
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Pennywise(m): 6:21pm On Aug 16, 2012
Is it really possible to 'reset' a meter without compromising the connection?
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Wallyg2009(m): 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2012
Thats nigeria for u.we are the smartest people on earth due to bad government policies.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Omexonomy: 6:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sky Blue:

Stop peddling such utter tripe, this is a culture of indiscipline, period. There were different bands of charge rates presented to the public, and people were being charged according to there level of income, which I believe was estimated by how much power they consume. And based on the new rates, people seen as "poor" were actually meant to be paying LESS than what they used to pay for power before. So what are you talking about, or is there something I might be genuinely missing?

You can't be shouting that people's electricity run out and they are poor when they are trying to power a million and one appliances on standby in their homes. This should simply force people to be more energy conscious - something the rest of the world has already gotten used to a long time ago!
in asmuch i apreciate what you have said.
what might be a reasonable price to you and the PHCN might not be a reasonable price to other people with different earnings
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by miky(m): 6:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
[quote author=Wallyg2009]Thats nigeria for u.we are the smartest people on earth due to bad government policies.[/q]

well move to somalia or togo.. more like criminals
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Omexonomy: 6:33pm On Aug 16, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I don't understand why people are making excuses for a criminal act that is so clearly undeserving of sympathy. When an even poorer person elsewhere has even less electricity than usual because of the actions of these thieves, I wonder if people will still be trying to defend them.
in asmuch i apreciate what you have said.
what might be a reasonable price to you and the PHCN might not be a reasonable price to other people with different earnings
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by floridam(m): 6:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
If them no tap electricity from pole, na for kainji them go tap am?
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by 10over101: 6:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
That is why they are Lagosians..Eko o ni baje oo!!
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by KDULAR: 6:38pm On Aug 16, 2012
Tarrif high yes , but that's not enough for people to behave in such a way. There is an option , continue to use generators according to your usage and see which is better. For a room apartment in f-f building having a radio that consumes about 50watts, 2 light bulbs both consuming 80 watts (big energy bulbs), a fan of 55 watts and a TV which consumes about 100 watts , no fridge, no iron will require at least "I better pass my neighbor". With a full tank of 5 litres will last 8 hrs that is N485.00 plus N40 oil that is a total of N535.00 to power I better pass my neighbor for 10 hours or N53.5 per hour, without fridge and ironing or. Averagely, we'll use light for 4 hours a day in the evenings ( 7pm -11pm) more on weekends and public holiday which might extend to as much a 12 hours meaning on the average in a week we'll use that generator for 44 hours and spend about N2354.00 weekly on I better pass my neighbor.
In a month that is N10593.00. To have the best of this type of gen, you must service it every 80 - 100 hrs of use , meaning twice a month. at about N300/ service that is N600.00 monthly, In all . It will cost a total of N11,193.00 to power "I better pass my neighbor" , 650 VA generator for 200 hrs in a month shocked shocked shocked. (YOU DEFINITELY SPEND MORE FOR A BIGGER GENERATOR) That is a usage of 57000watts hour or 57 points on the old meter which merely translates to about N750 0r N800shocked shocked shocked. without the options of ironing and refrigeration or ring boiling or electric cooking with the generator. If we think PHCN tarrif is too much then lets reconsider and go back to the former generator era. I am of the opinion that we Nigerians really, we don't yet deserve a better living and leaders by the way of endorsements and excuses some of us are giving for those perpetrating that illegal and indeed criminal act. We are such irresponsible lots and indeed we are not different from that corrupt politician

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Hehehe. Robin Hood philosophy.
Though you can't blame the people. Truth be told, you cannot misgovern people for so long, and turn around to tell them, oh you guys are so badly behaved, or: now I'll provide the service but you must now pay a premium for it.

The best way to fix thing isn't to start taxing the people across board. Tax the well-off in Nigeria, make them pay for infrastructure. Supply the infrastructure to the less-privileged, subsidize their living.

ekt na hardcore republican o! cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by greaterlove(m): 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sometimes I wonder if we nigerians really deserve good things, how won't you exhaust your unit on time when all your bulbs are 100watts and u leave them on even when you go out sometimes. Imagine a 2bedroom flat with about 10 of those, that's 1000watts just for lighting alone. Why not buy 10-15watts energy bulbs and reduce ur expenses on lighting by about 10%, someone will install 1.5-2hpw ac instead of 1hp, have one in the living room and bedroom and will put them on even when he or she is not in the room, we are so wasteful in this country, but when we travell abroad we observe all this things and arrange ourselves well but in naija we go dey misbehave. Who born you to have 2 or more cars in london? We complain the most but yet we are not ready for change.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by tnktosin(m): 6:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Its criminal.. but no be today nau. I remember as far back as 10years ago this was already being practiced in sapele. Even when NEPA personnels dey around, boys dey hang wire. U wan try uguanja or ojolu boiz?
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by elimokhai(m): 6:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
Is like Nigerians are born to cut corners. The blood keeps flowing in our veins. Same way we killed NITEL, water corporation is long dead, 15% of DSTV subscriber don't pay for subscription, we have MTN cheats, Glo cheats et al. I blame it on bad government.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by quest003: 6:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sky Blue: Crimes like these should start being made punishable with huge fines or jail time. If you think your electricity runs out too fast when you recharge then regulate what you use better. Nigerians hate paying for stuff, it is like kryptonite to them. But they will be the first to complain when what they are not ready to pay for is taken away. Which is why, even with all the noise being made by Ajaero, I am happy power is going private. Private companies will be more inclined to take this theft seriously and move to prosecute accordingly as a warning to others because this is lost revenue.

And please let us do away with the myth that this is only being commited by "poor people". Nigerians are just so accustomed to indiscipline, and someone doig this will be seen as a "wise/sharp guy". Please, let us not develop into India!
plz i'll like to knw wat you mean by "let us not develop into india"
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by greaterlove(m): 6:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
KDULAR: Tarrif high yes , but that's not enough for people to behave in such a way. There is an option , continue to use generators according to your usage and see which is better. For a room apartment in f-f building having a radio that consumes about 50watts, 2 light bulbs both consuming 80 watts (big energy bulbs), a fan of 55 watts and a TV which consumes about 100 watts , no fridge, no iron will require at least "I better pass my neighbor". With a full tank of 5 litres will last 8 hrs that is N485.00 plus N40 oil that is a total of N535.00 to power I better pass my neighbor for 10 hours or N53.5 per hour, without fridge and ironing or. Averagely, we'll use light for 4 hours a day in the evenings ( 7pm -11pm) more on weekends and public holiday which might extend to as much a 12 hours meaning on the average in a week we'll use that generator for 44 hours and spend about N2354.00 weekly on I better pass my neighbor.
In a month that is N10593.00. To have the best of this type of gen, you must service it every 80 - 100 hrs of use , meaning twice a month. at about N300/ service that is N600.00 monthly, In all . It will cost a total of N11,193.00 to power "I better pass my neighbor" , 650 VA generator for 200 hrs in a month shocked shocked shocked. (YOU DEFINITELY SPEND MORE FOR A BIGGER GENERATOR) That is a usage of 57000watts hour or 57 points on the old meter which merely translates to about N750 0r N800shocked shocked shocked. without the options of ironing and refrigeration or ring boiling or electric cooking with the generator. If we think PHCN tarrif is too much then lets reconsider and go back to the former generator era. I am of the opinion that we Nigerians really, we don't yet deserve a better living and leaders by the way of endorsements and excuses some of us are giving for those perpetrating that illegal and indeed criminal act. We are such irresponsible lots and indeed we are not different from that corrupt politician
You got it all right my brother, reading some of the post here has really made me so angry, why are we so myopic in this country. The same nigerians who are complaining that they want steady power supply are the ones who will destroy it. Why can't people just do the right thing for goodness sake, are we this lawless?
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by ariyebaba(m): 7:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
Won ma bomb ni ! smileysmileysmiley

Eko for show !
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by greaterlove(m): 7:08pm On Aug 16, 2012
For the past 1month I have not used my gen in my office, at home the same thing only on one or two occasions on a weekend, but usually not up to 3hrs, electricity has really improved in nigeria, but some people are bent on ruining it, I paid my electricity bill happily for my office on monday even thou tariff increased by 50%, its nothing compared to what I spend on fuel in a week, please we should educate our people, we have suffered so much because of no constant electricity abeg we shouldn't let our children suffer same.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Super1759: 7:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
Lagosians!! Mad set of elements.mchewwwwww

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
Tomorrow they'll say we should join them in blaming PDP.

SMH
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2012
Rich Dad: There's a way they'll BYPASS the Rechargeable meter that it won't be reading, though all the indicator light will be ON so that if the Patrol Team is around everything will appear Normal and working Perfect. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by soledadd: 7:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
U mean lagosians just started it, its uniben students way of life. Trust them they can dodge bills even sanitation bills. The only thing they know is flaunting expensive laptops and BB.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Emylexray(m): 7:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
This is animalistic, if PHCN had deprived them of power, they would have roamed the streets of lagos chanting vulgar songs of unpatriotic lyrics here and there, now they have it at their disposal and can't appreciate it.
This is so bad and very dangerous as it could lead to fire outbreak thereby causing loss of lives. Power supply has immensly improve no doubt, we hope it continues like this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Disregard Reports Of fuel, diesel pump price adjustments - NNPC / Boko Haram Kills 36 In Borno Attacks / Buhari & Saudi King Abdul Meet,Nigeria,Saudi Arabia Commit To Raising Oil Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.