Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,967 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Failing Gear On Chevrolet Express 3500 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Failing Gear On Chevrolet Express 3500 (1378 Views)

[shocking] Two Mysterious Men On Ibadan Express / Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) / Advice On Chevrolet Corsica Lt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Failing Gear On Chevrolet Express 3500 by Emperoh(m): 10:02am On Aug 15, 2012
I seldom like buying clean cars from salvage Auctions but there are some you can't resist.
My reason being that clean cars are most likely to give mechanical issues unlike their crashed counterparts where you are certain to a huge extent
that the reason for the sale is the crash unless indicated. So far, all non-crash cars i have bought have been good enough sans any serious mechanical issue.

But am not too sure how lucky i am with subject vehicle.
Picked up from Copart with a damaged front grille which to an extent affected AC condenser and Radiator.
But i didn't bargain for this gear issues i am seeing. It look serious and i am scared if it will amount to a gear change.

Unit was offloaded from the container last Friday. Attempts to engage it in gear and drive home failed.
The reverse will engage but not the drive. I suspected the transmission fluid may either be low or empty or a burnt gear fiber.
The former was the issue. But i got worried when i added up to 10 liters of gear oil before it gauged.

Thinking my problem was over, my guys took the car to Festac and parked it.
I came back from my trip on Sunday and drove the car and realized the transmission from 1-2 was rather to hard. It goes into the second gear
with a jerk and then to 3 and up was quite smooth but if u rev the engine high for a faster change, u do hear a faint screech sound.

Yesterday morning, we drained the ATF completely and realized the sump and filter were quite dirty and filled with silt.
Washed up and all cleaned up, we added another 10 liters of ATF for it to gauge. It was driven around for test but we still noticed 1-2 was still not smooth at all. The jerk was there. 2-3 and up were ok. But after some time, it won't even engage in drive just reverse just as it was when it was offloaded on Friday.

So guys, what could be the issue? I suspect the Torque Converter but i have not the faintest idea of what it would cost and take in terms of time to fix.
I am also just being wary of a burnt fiber cos that will imply a transmission change. I am also open to other possible factors and what it will cost me to
fix. What need be changed or will it require a complete transmission box change?

I used the Holt Dexron III atf for the oil change.
There are no CEL lights or any codes.
Vehicle is a 1999 Chevrolet Express 3500 with 5.7 liter V8 engine.

Helps please!!
Re: Failing Gear On Chevrolet Express 3500 by Emperoh(m): 3:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
No help?
Re: Failing Gear On Chevrolet Express 3500 by Emperoh(m): 11:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
No help yet? angry sad

(1) (Reply)

Fg To Launch Federal Auto Mortgage Scheme In October - Aganga / Taking Wheel Alignment For Granted / Toyota Engine Oil In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.