Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. (4274 Views)

Federal Allocation For Lagos For January 2016 / Osun’s Federal Allocation Can’t Pay Electricity Bill – Aregbesola / Federal Allocation: Presidency Warns Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by kutchs: 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
The government of Imo State will in the next ten years stopping going to Abuja for the federal allocation. This was disclosed today by the state governor Owelle Rochas Okorocha at the inuaguration of Imo State Traditional Parliament. Owelle Okorocha says this will be made possible through the aggressive agricultural development of the state, the high point of which will be the planting of five (5) Palm trees by every indigene of the state. The governor announced that just like Malaysia which some years back came to the state to buy palm tree which she developed and which has made it one of the richest country in the world today, Imo State will in the years to come become one of the richest state in the country. Is this not wonderful? If every state can tap into its potentials, then the country will surely develop.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Joeadamu86: 1:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
Pls let them start this year......
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by jumobi1(m): 2:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
In 10 years would he be governor?
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by dtemidare: 8:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
jumobi1: In 10 years would he be governor?

The man has a BIG MOUTH.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Dede1(m): 8:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
The dude is is moronic joker. He lived almost his entire life in Jos, Plateau State and never planted any tree in his village talk less of Oil Palm tree.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by manny4life(m): 8:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
There's nothing wrong in dreaming, actuality is a different ball game. In as long as Nigeria is dependent on oil, ALL STATES will go to Abuja for their own share... grin grin grin
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by bashr8: 8:40pm On Aug 16, 2012
what of oil and gas from imo , will federal government also stop collecting tax and oil money from imo?
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by OneNaira6: 4:40am On Aug 17, 2012
ROFLMFAO. This isn't true is it OP? Comeon na false story right? LOL

Anyway I sortof agree with the title, everything else na trash talk. Every state in Nigeria should stop collecting Federal Allocation, at least for now, doing so might force each state governors to do their F2king job rather than waiting for free money from FG.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by kutchs: 9:31am On Aug 17, 2012
@one-naira it is true, he said so even though I find it impracticable. What is refreshing though is that such dreams could force him to develop the enormous potentials Imo State has in abundance. Palm Oil is gold and if that sector is well developed, Imo will become golden. Better said than done though.

1 Like

Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by asha80(m): 9:43am On Aug 17, 2012
kutchs: @one-naira it is true, he said so even though I find it impracticable. What is refreshing though is that such dreams could force him to develop the enormous potentials Imo State has in abundance. Palm Oil is gold and if that sector is well developed, Imo will become golden. Better said than done though.
how is he developing the potentials?is it by talking?
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:22am On Aug 17, 2012
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by excondido(m): 10:27am On Aug 17, 2012
whether this can be achieved at the said time is where my 'hmmm' comes. But on the bright side it is a worthy and lofty idea to envision.

an inward looking concept to development should be commended and be emulated for every state to achieve self sufficiency.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by asha80(m): 11:09am On Aug 17, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^He's actually doing something, but you can appreciate that deriving benefits from an agricultural revolution is not something that happens overnight.

http://www.imostateblog.com/2012/08/16/imo-thai-agro-project-lands-ministry-moves-to-acquire-land-for-rice-and-palm-plantation/

http://www.imostateblog.com/2012/07/05/agriculture-imo-state-government-to-plant-10-million-palm-seedlings-in-1yr/

http://www.imostateblog.com/2012/05/23/imo-state-legislators-conduct-facilty-tour-at-imo-palm-plantation-adapalm/
apart from imo palm plantation(adapalm) i am not sure how the other two will pan out because it seems as if it is government that is going into the business.agric is business and as such private sector is better at running it since govts in general have proved incompetent in running businesses
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by PointB: 11:11am On Aug 17, 2012
Let's look at it from another angle:

Rochas: Imo State will continue collecting Federal Allocation forever. Is this what we want him to say? Is this the kind of mentality we would like to carry around with us?

Guys, here is a Governor, 'loudmouthed' or not, who is trying to set example to other governor on the need to look beyond Federal Government for sustenance. Why do we need to bad-mouth him?

Planting three palm trees by every individual in Imo State looks a little far-fetched, but the dream of self sufficiency is not! Rochas has identified palm trees/palm oil as one of the path that leads to self sufficiency (the Indonesia and Singapore model). Rochas will not be the Governor for ten years, but suppose the next Governor is 'crazy' enough to believe and pursue this agenda, what do we think will happen?

So instead of slating him, let's ask other Governors what plans they have to make Federal Allocation surplus to the requirement.

An Imo State independent of the Feds allocation is Rochas' vision, let's hear from the other Governors!

2 Likes

Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by speeder(m): 11:27am On Aug 17, 2012
I see many unfounded critics here. There's one thing which always draws Nigeria backward, that is, every Nigerian wants to so seeds that he would reap but not the one his children will.
I weep for my nation. If he does this, though he wouldn't be the one to reap. But one thing is for sure, he has his people at heart and he will be one day remembered as the man who boost this plantations.

1 Like

Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
speeder: I see many unfounded critics here. There's one thing which always draws Nigeria backward, that is, every Nigerian wants to so seeds that he would reap but not the one his children will.
I weep for my nation. If he does this, though he wouldn't be the one to reap. But one thing is for sure, he has his people at heart and he will be one day remembered as the man who boost this plantations.
PointB: Let's look at it from another angle:

Rochas: Imo State will continue collecting Federal Allocation forever. Is this what we want him to say? Is this the kind of mentality we would like to carry around with us?

Guys, here is a Governor, 'loudmouthed' or not, who is trying to set example to other governor on the need to look beyond Federal Government for sustenance. Why do we need to bad-mouth him?

Planting three palm trees by every individual in Imo State looks a little far-fetched, but the dream of self sufficiency is not! Rochas has identified palm trees/palm oil as one of the path that leads to self sufficiency (the Indonesia and Singapore model). Rochas will not be the Governor for ten years, but suppose the next Governor is 'crazy' enough to believe and pursue this agenda, what do we think will happen?

So instead of slating him, let's ask other Governors what plans they have to make Federal Allocation surplus to the requirement.

An Imo State independent of the Feds allocation is Rochas' vision, let's hear from the other Governors!
You guys have to ignore those post, when children speak, it's quite easy to tell. Either they are children or of a dull mind.

Commonsense should tell them that even if he is not governor then, a solid foundation would have been laid by him for the next administration to achieve it should the new governor's dream align with his.

Some Nigerian states have only just started to develop. The governors can only but lay foundations for others to build on.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Kobojunkie: 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2012
Soooooooo . . .. is collecting allocation now a thing of shame? I mean if it is not a loan, why not continue to collect until, I don't know, the state can at least claim it can pay Nigeria's bill 10 times over. Is collecting allocation every month really an issue? Or is he simply boasting?

What is the point of him making this statement?
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by jeremiah771(m): 1:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
Hahaha,it will create 100,000,000 jobs for the imohs looking 4 white collar job,so dude pieces that certificate and get your asses and your hoe with ur axe straight to farm, Hey bt come to think of it would nt be collecting revenue frm FG hahaha,what the Bleep will he do if he bcoms president,nigeria aint gonna be looking at world bank or UN. Come hr much hoe dey cost self?
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Dede1(m): 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
It is very scary to note that few Nigerians are inhumanly and ignorantly gullible. Yet they will be the first to denigrate people who tend to have socio-political views different from theirs. It is asinine to hear people associate Imo State and palm oil production with Rochas Okorocha.

One wonders if the people are talking about the same Rochas Okorocha who had allegedly sold Adapalm to Roche Group. It must be recalled that Adapalm and ITC were the only two profit-making parastatals in Imo State yet Rochas Okorocha has allegedly sold them to companies fronting for him.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by asha80(m): 2:29pm On Aug 17, 2012
Dede1: It is very scary to note that few Nigerians are inhumanly and ignorantly gullible. Yet they will be the first to denigrate people who tend to have socio-political views different from theirs. It is asinine to hear people associate Imo State and palm oil production with Rochas Okorocha.

One wonders if the people are talking about the same Rochas Okorocha who had allegedly sold Adapalm to Roche Group. It must be recalled that Adapalm and ITC were the only two profit-making parastatals in Imo State yet Rochas Okorocha has allegedly sold them to companies fronting for him.
adapalm was not generating revenue to imo state at least for the last ten years.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by kutchs: 6:33pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie: Soooooooo . . .. is collecting allocation now a thing of shame? I mean if it is not a loan, why not continue to collect until, I don't know, the state can at least claim it can pay Nigeria's bill 10 times over. Is collecting allocation every month really an issue? Or is he simply boasting?

Nobody has said collecting is a shame, what Rochas wants to eradicate is the over dependence on Abuja for sustenance. Surely Imo will continue to collect federal allocation if the present federal structure subsists as will other states but the point to note is that if the agric sector driven by palm oil is developed the state can be self-sustaining even if not self-reliant. I think we all agree that the issue of mono economy has been the bane of Nigerian development (forget corruption), thus such plans aimed at diversification will help a lot. My worry though is the political will to see this through.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Eziachi: 6:46pm On Aug 17, 2012
jumobi1: In 10 years would he be governor?
That is the problem, the mindset of Nigerians that, every govt should start and finish things. That is why they waste money on easily on the eye projects, so that they can point at it as their achievement.
But in advance economies and democracies, all policies are long term based. The just concluded successful London 2012 was the brain child of last govt of Tony Blair/Gordon Brown and labour's Ken Livingstone as the London Mayor.
But it was the present Tory joint govt along with a Tory elected Mayor of London that continued with their projection of the hosting from its strict budgeting to planning etc.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Eziachi: 6:50pm On Aug 17, 2012
Dede1: The dude is is moronic joker. He lived almost his entire life in Jos, Plateau State and never planted any tree in his village talk less of Oil Palm tree.
Is it a wrong idea, if in reality, Imo becomes economical independent? You just don't hate a food, just because you dislike the farmer that grew it. What difference does it make even if he was born and reside in Jupiter till last night? You don't like the guy, that is fair enough.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Eziachi: 6:55pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie: Soooooooo . . .. is collecting allocation now a thing of shame? I mean if it is not a loan, why not continue to collect until, I don't know, the state can at least claim it can pay Nigeria's bill 10 times over. Is collecting allocation every month really an issue? Or is he simply boasting?

I may be mistaking but I think what he was saying is over dependance on allocation can be bettered. I believe most state will collapse next month if you are to stop the central allocation of which they had no single input. And what if FG left Imo with their oil/gas to manage along with palm oil? grin.

I like bailing my children out financially but it will be suicidal for any of them not to think that they can live without my help, then any help from me becomes a bonus. That is what I think the guy is talking about.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Kobojunkie: 6:55pm On Aug 17, 2012
kutchs: Nobody has said collecting is a shame, what Rochas wants to eradicate is the over dependence on Abuja for sustenance. Surely Imo will continue to collect federal allocation if the present federal structure subsists as will other states but the point to note is that if the agric sector driven by palm oil is developed the state can be self-sustaining even if not self-reliant. I think we all agree that the issue of mono economy has been the bane of Nigerian development (forget corruption), thus such plans aimed at diversification will help a lot. My worry though is the political will to see this through.

um . . . . you are saying things that are contrary to what you started this topic on. You do know that, right? According to you, the Governor said Imo will STOP, Not Imo will stop IF the current federal structure is discontinued --- two very different statements with equally different meanings too.

Also, I don't agree with you that the mono-economic structure is the bane of Nigerian development, and while I believe Agriculture can contribute to growing the IGR for any state, I don't see how that should have amounted to reason enough for the governor to make such a statement. I mean the State still has more than 10 years of development work to do. Why decide that 10 years from now the state will stop accepting allowance meant to help it grow?
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Dede1(m): 6:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80: adapalm was not generating revenue to imo state at least for the last ten years.

If Adaplam did not generate revenue for Imo State, probably the palm seedlings Rochas Okorocha intends to plant will generate revenue for Imo State. I guess this so-called governor of Imo State has a magical wand.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
Eziachi:
I may be mistaking but I think what he was saying is over dependance on allocation can be bettered. I believe most state will collapse next month if you are to stop the central allocation of which they had no single input.
I like bailing my children out financially but it will be suicidal for any of them not to think that they can live without my help, then any help from me becomes a bonus. That is what I think the guy is talking about.

Yes, most but not all states will collapse, including Imo unfortunately. However, there are states that will probably survive and they are not making outrages statements such as this.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Eziachi: 7:01pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80: how is he developing the potentials?is it by talking?
Unfortunately Palm produce is not not crude oil, that you can plant at 12pm and harvest it at 1pm and cash it at 2pm. if he can build a strong foundation towards it and others that will follow him kept it, it can be done and it can wipe out unemployment in the area and beyond.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Eziachi: 7:03pm On Aug 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Yes, most but not all states will collapse, including Imo unfortunately. However, there are states that will probably survive and they are not making outrages statements such as this.
I think we needs outrageous statement like this-it will encourage him to work harder and a bigger challenge to whoever that will succeed him.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by asha80(m): 7:05pm On Aug 17, 2012
Dede1:

If Adaplam did not generate revenue for Imo State, probably the palm seedlings Rochas Okorocha intends to plant will generate revenue for Imo State. I guess this so-called governor of Imo State has a magical wand.

adapalm did not generate revenue for imo state for the past ten years is not in question.reason is simple.it was being run by government and as someone from that state i know the mentality so it is no suprise why revenue was not generated,instead what adapalm was getting was subevention which is quite frankly rather stupid for a plantation that is supposed ti be run as a business and generating money for the state..the problem i have is whether these seedlings or plantaion he is initiating is still going to be run by govt.
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Dede1(m): 7:20pm On Aug 17, 2012
asha 80:

adapalm did not generate revenue for imo state for the past ten years is not in question.reason is simple.it was being run by government and as someone from that state i know the mentality so it is no suprise why revenue was not generated,instead what adapalm was getting was subevention which is quite frankly rather stupid for a plantation that is supposed ti be run as a business and generating money for the state..the problem i have is whether these seedlings or plantaion he is initiating is still going to be run by govt.

Bros, you are now catching my drift. This governor blows too much hot air. The article allegedly referred to Imo State in connection with the palm plantation. Individuals from Imo State do not go to Abuja for the federal allocation
Re: Imo State To Stop Collecting Federal Allocation In The Next Ten (10) Years. by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Aug 17, 2012
Eziachi:
I think we needs outrageous statement like this-it will encourage him to work harder and a bigger challenge to whoever that will succeed him.

I don't know of you but I am sick and tired of being riled up. I would rather more of these Governors, elected officials shut up more and get to work. WE WILL SEE if they are working.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Panel Set-up To Investigate Power Failure. / Why Is Murutala's Face Still On The 20 Naira Note? / What Is Igbo People Obsession With Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.