Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,912 members, 7,828,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

only me and education - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / only me and education (800 Views)

She Needs Advice On Her Marriage And Education / Secure Your Child/childrens Future And Education Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

only me and education by charliemamen: 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2012
I have been trying to gain admission into university (local or international) with my HND
My tale is a bit long but I will shorten it. I currently hold a job as a contract staff in a bank (earn precisely about 70k).
I am the first child in my family and currently engaged too. Having tried to secure an admission to a university abroad without success, I recently gained admission to UNIPORT to further my studies and tried to work my posting to portharcourt to so that it can be easier for me to cope.

My concerns are;
- my girlfriend is of the opinion that I should save up and ensure I go for an international degree since its just one year unlike UNIPORT which will take 3 years(of course she wants it to be fast so that we can settle down)but at least if I am working here, I can continue with my education support my family but it will take more time even though I no longer enjoy my job(well maybe I will enjoy my new role in PH)

- on the average I have like quarter the funds I need to study abroad(but im concerned about my parents and siblings since I also support them financially in their academics),during this Top Up year, I will not be there for them.

- generally abroad these days you cannot bank that you will get a job, how will I cope with paying off the school bills and supporting my siblings

- lastly, in ministry(as per God Tinz) im just beginning to find expression and if I leave, my expression may not be fully accomplished.
Having said all these, I will appreciate candid advises on steps to take to ensure that family,career and babe does not suffer(even if it sounds un reasonable I will appreciate it)

PS:im yet to resume at PH
Re: only me and education by xyloxloto(m): 4:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
honestly all you want sorry you cant have ,schooling abroad is very demanding if you can pay the fees why not give it a try and see how it goes but if you r coming to school and hope to work to save up money to pay your fees and others abroad especially if it is the UK bros forget it. it is more like taking a gamble and i can guarantee you that your chances are very VERY slim in the UK.if you stay back in nigeria to continue your studies then your chances are higher in accomplishing all you want want without much compromise.
Re: only me and education by charliemamen: 7:33pm On Aug 17, 2012
xyloxloto: honestly all you want sorry you cant have ,schooling abroad is very demanding if you can pay the fees why not give it a try and see how it goes but if you r coming to school and hope to work to save up money to pay your fees and others abroad especially if it is the UK bros forget it. it is more like taking a gamble and i can guarantee you that your chances are very VERY slim in the UK.if you stay back in nigeria to continue your studies then your chances are higher in accomplishing all you want want without much compromise.

Thanks a lot for your advise.more advises,please keep it coming
Re: only me and education by Chubhie: 12:12am On Aug 18, 2012
I am the first child in my family and currently engaged too. Having tried to secure an admission to a university abroad without success, I recently gained admission to UNIPORT to further my studies and tried to work my posting to portharcourt to so that it can be easier for me to cope.
This your best plausible shot if you can work your transfer to Uniport.

my girlfriend is of the opinion that I should save up and ensure I go for an international degree since its just one year unlike UNIPORT which will take 3 years(of course she wants it to be fast so that we can settle down)but at least if I am working here, I can continue with my education support my family but it will take more time
What if you save up and invest in some profitable business? Getting international degree can not guarantee you a job.....You sound responsible and care much bout people that look up to you. If you care so much bout them,you can perish the thoughts of chasing after international degree for now and concentrate more on saving up enough money to start something.

even though I no longer enjoy my job(well maybe I will enjoy my new role in PH)
Look for what you enjoy doing bro and see how you can make money from it.Life is too short to be wasted doing what you dont enjoy doing

on the average I have like quarter the funds I need to study abroad(but im concerned about my parents and siblings since I also support them financially in their academics),during this Top Up year, I will not be there for them.
This is a huge risk you bout taking.i advise you use your tongue and count your 32 before you leap.

generally abroad these days you cannot bank that you will get a job, how will I cope with paying off the school bills and supporting my siblings
You already know the answer.

lastly, in ministry(as per God Tinz) im just beginning to find expression and if I leave, my expression may not be fully accomplished
Pray to your God to reveal his plans for your life since you are committed to his work.

I will appreciate candid advises on steps to take to ensure that family,career and babe does not suffer
The likely one here to suffer is your pursuit of international degree...but any wrong move from you will unsettle the whole thing so thread jeje.All the very best in what ever you decide to do.

1 Like

Re: only me and education by charliemamen: 5:49am On Aug 18, 2012
charliemamen:

Thanks a lot for your advise.more advises,please keep it coming

Thanks a lot chubhie
I have heard all u said,I'm sure my God has a plan for me.
Talking about what I love doing, its not the job itself,its lack of motivation from my employer(imagine being on d same level for close to 3 years,all becos I'm not 'qualified'

3 yrs for a nigerian degree?it sounds farfetched o. Ill rather save up. I trust God to guidee me.

Please keep the advises coming people
Re: only me and education by yemisolar(m): 11:56pm On Aug 21, 2012
lastly, in ministry(as per God Tinz) im just beginning to find expression and if I leave, my expression may not be fully accomplished.
Having said all these, I will appreciate candid advises on steps to take to ensure that family,career and babe does not suffer(even if it sounds un reasonable I will appreciate it)

this paragraph was where you lost me. for the life of me, when you face Him in heaven nothing else will matter apart from your assignment on earth. and what are you going to tell the one that sent you here for a purpose?
Re: only me and education by charliemamen: 9:11am On Aug 22, 2012
yemi solar: lastly, in ministry(as per God Tinz) im just beginning to find expression and if I leave, my expression may not be fully accomplished.

this paragraph was where you lost me. for the life of me, when you face Him in heaven nothing else will matter apart from your assignment on earth. and what are you going to tell the one that sent you here for a purpose?

you are very right....yemi solar(but then he still wants the best for me while i am here), what do u think

(1) (Reply)

18-yr-old Marriage Crashes Over Wife’s Resistance To Sexual Advances / Weep Not Over Ur Lost Lover...seek Spiritual Help Now! / Love Being Taken For Granted.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.