Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Sefi Atta - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sefi Atta (3804 Views)

Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon On Pres. Prof. John Evans Atta Mills’ Death / Sefi Atta / "Swallow" Sefi Atta's New Book Is Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sefi Atta by dominique(f): 1:32pm On Dec 26, 2007
i recently read her book Everything good will come and it was just off the hook. i now have a new admiration for Nigerian writers. its about how a strong willed girl experiences diffferent changes while she groea from girlhood to womanhood. it cuts accross alot of issues including; the civil war, military rule, life in lagos, civic rights and a lot stuff. it is definately a book i can read over and over again.
Re: Sefi Atta by SMC(f): 3:43pm On Dec 26, 2007
dominique:

i recently read her book Everything good will come and it was just off the hook. i now have a new admiration for Nigerian writers. its about how a strong willed girl experiences diffferent changes while she groea from girlhood to womanhood. it cuts accross alot of issues including; the civil war, military rule, life in lagos, civic rights and a lot stuff. it is definately a book i can read over and over again.

I totally disagree with your opinion on Everything Good Will Come (but then I guess that's why people are different). I found some errors in this book that it almost felt like the editors did a sloppy job. The book started out fine for me but then it went downhill. Sefi tried to pack in a lot of things into the book and to me, the resultant effect was a mish-mash of disjointed and often chaotic events. Without a doubt, despite the book being quite mediocre, it was a good effort on her part but I dare say it is not the calibre that Nigerian writers should aspire to. lipsrsealed
Re: Sefi Atta by dominique(f): 11:51am On Dec 27, 2007
@SMC
you are right, i found some faults in the book and some of the dialogues were absolutely incomprehensible. but consdering the fact this is her first book, its worth praising.
Re: Sefi Atta by Ndipe(m): 8:24pm On Dec 27, 2007
I am yet to read "Everything good will come" but it did generate some buzz in some literary circles, nabbing the inaugaral Wole Soyinka prize (are they not related to each other?) and a review from Buchi Emecheta
Re: Sefi Atta by SMC(f): 1:52am On Dec 28, 2007
@ Ndipe,
Nigeria has a way of hyping anything from within. There were better books. It's a pity many of the other writers do not have a high profile like the  writers we hear of. There is a writer who frequents this forum (Dupe Olorunjo) whose book I believe is probably better than Sefi's 'Everything Good Will Come' (though the name of the book leaves a lot to be desired - it put me right off). Sefi Atta was short listed for the Caine prize last year and that in itself has the effect of raising the profile of the writer. Also she has quite a lot of her work published in journals and magazines. The fact that the book won a Nigerian prize means little or nothing to me (from what I have seen of some of those prizes and the way they are conducted), for example, Kaine Agary's 'Yellow-Yellow' was a co-winner of the Victor Nwankwo Book of the Year Prize 2007. How that book can win any literary prize whatsoever is beyond my comprehension (again, I guess we don't all look for the same things in books and I am no expert literary critic, though I do believe that I know a good book when I see one). I must however say that I find that Sefi Atta is a good writer especially when one looks at her short stories.
Re: Sefi Atta by biife: 4:28pm On Dec 28, 2007
your reasoning is very instructive, smc.

i admire your thinking process!
Re: Sefi Atta by SMC(f): 5:00pm On Dec 28, 2007
Thank you mate!
Re: Sefi Atta by TWiliams: 6:02pm On Dec 30, 2007
SMC, respectully, I have to disagree with your analysis. It is reductive and fairly typical of what we read about other Nigerian writers on the internet and Sefi Atta is the least hyped. Sure, she could have chosen a better title, but readers will get over it because her novel is a fasincating introduction to the complexities of Nigerian life. She documents her heroine's life from 1971 to 1995. She puts a lot into it because there is a lot to put in. The Observer compared it to Jane Eyre, the gothic semi-autobiographical novel by Charlotte Bronte. Would you say Jane Eyre has too much in it?

Dominque, the dialogue is not incomprehensible to Nigerians. It is well written and close to how we speak English in Nigeria. Also, don't be too quick to back down. Hang on to your initial instincts. No one is an authority here.

Peace,
Tayo
Re: Sefi Atta by TWiliams: 7:01pm On Dec 30, 2007
I have just fished out my copy of Everything Good Will Come, isbn 978-1-56656-704-6.

The actual quote from The Observer Magazine is "an original, witty coming-of-age tale: Tom Sawyer meets Jane Eyre, with Nigerian girls."  The Times Literary Supplement says it is "a beautifully paced stroll in the shoes of a woman growing up in a country struggling to find its post Independence identity" World Literarure Today calls is "A literary masterpiece" and Buchi Emecheta says it is "like listening to an old friend recounting and bringing up-to-date and to life the happenings in our beloved city of Lagos." And finally, Odia Ofeimun, a leading Nigerian critic says "It confronts the familiar passions of a city and a country with unusual insights and a lyrical power pointing our literature to truly greater heights."

SMC, here are the experts  grin.

Tayo
Re: Sefi Atta by nimma(f): 7:09pm On Dec 30, 2007
smc dont u think u r too critical?i would love to read the better book u have written
Re: Sefi Atta by SMC(f): 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2007
nimma:

smc don't u think you're too critical?i would love to read the better book u have written

This is a common misconception. I do not have to write a better book to comment on or criticise any book. The book has several shortcomings and this is a fact. Whether or not I can write (or have written) a better book has no bearing on the strong or weak points of this book (or any other for that matter).

@TWiliams,
You are totally entitled to disagree with me. Life would be boring if we all held the same opinion. It is curious however that you did not find the glowing praise by Dominique "reductive". I do not recall her going into any depth for her classing the book as "off the hook". Also, I believe you misunderstood the book whose title put me off. I meant Dupe Olorunjo's book title (The Aireginan Dream). 'Everything Good Will Come' is not a great title but there have been worse. From reading the book, I think it might have come from the English interpretation to the response of the Yoruba insult/curse koni da fun e (which is a da fun mi i.e good things will come [to me] - or in this case, Everything Good Will Come [to me]).

Oh! and yes, those are the "experts" alright. Pity none of them saw it fit to mention the glaring errors in the book (unfortunately, I have given away my book or I might have given some specific examples with page numbers et. al. Since you say you have read the book, I'm sure saw the errors too). Every literary connoisseur knows how the system works. Surely you do not expect to see disparaging criticisms on the book cover. The purpose of a review is to be instructive in encouraging or discouraging potential buyers/readers of the work. I have read the book and formed my own opinion which remains unchanged and I stand by it.

I clearly stated that Ms. Atta "is a good writer especially when one looks at her short stories" and I stand by that as well. I find it amusing though that you decided to create an account on Nairaland today for the sole purpose of disagreeing with me. Might you be Sefi Atta per chance? or maybe someone known to her? Who knows? Who cares?

I have my opinion on this book and you have yours. We disagree and I believe that is the way it will remain. That's Life.cool
Re: Sefi Atta by TWiliams: 11:31pm On Dec 30, 2007
SMC, so you can dole out criticism but you can't take it.   

I follow the works of Nigerian writers as you do. I do not know Ms Attah, but I am a fan of her work and you are clearly not. To criticise her and expect readers not to comment is ridiculous. Who are you is the question? You obviously have a lot of time on your hand to post and to monitor postings. You have over 500 of them and you have blocked your email address so one can't even contact you in private. 

I will continue to respond to postings on this forum and never mind what I think of Dominque's posting. Nimma has asked you, where is your own book? I'm sure you can't answer, yet you hide behind the internet and by your own admission you are not a literary authority.  undecided 

Yes, stand by your opinion. I strongly disagree with you,, but it's not life.  cool It is just a difference in opinions. grin
Re: Sefi Atta by SMC(f): 2:28am On Dec 31, 2007
LOL. cheesy

I have indicated on several occasions that anyone is free to express an opinion contrary to mine so I do not know where you get the idea that I can't take criticism. You can criticise me all you like (though you should at least pretend to make it objective. I am more than a little amused by how personal you have taken my criticisms). Your barbs will not change my view on the book nor will your trying to score cheap points. cool I have expressed an objective opinion on Sefi Atta's book, pity it is a bit of a hard pill to swallow. If criticism of her book leads to the conclusion that I am "clearly not" a "fan of her work", so be it.

Oh and by the way, I see you yet again have misread what I have written. I said "I am no expert literary critic" not I am not a "literary authority". There is a difference (one which you might not appreciate but which exists nontheless). Also, you guys should get out of the regressive Nigerian mentality that a person can only criticise something if they have done that thing better. I will be sure to pass on the message to everyone that if they have not written a book they cannot criticise one (nor criticise bland or bad food in a restaurant unless they can show that they have cooked better, nor can they be critical about clothing if they cannot show their own fashion creations wink). How Preposterous! Utterly Ludicrous!! LOL!!! cheesy smiley
Re: Sefi Atta by TWiliams: 3:43am On Dec 31, 2007
SMC, sorry o, are you choking over there? undecided O your pretending to laugh! My criticism must be paining you then. Maybe now you will think twice before you attack others.

This is not personal. I am tired of cyber losers like you abusing Nigerian writers. I have defended them in other forums. They have put their works out there and all they get is talentless online critics who attack them. Make yourself known instead of hiding behind the internet and deal with the backlash as writers do publicly. If you can't do this, then you have no leg to stand on, especially when YOU are so personal.

You look like a jealous coward. That is my advise to you. Unfortunately, I can't be bothered to respond after this. I am getting bored and posting on Nairaland is not my fulltime work. I can see it is yours.  wink

Good luck to you and happy new year!

Peace out,
Tee Wee
Re: Sefi Atta by SMC(f): 4:37am On Dec 31, 2007
LMAO! grin

WOW!  "cyber losers"! "talentless online critics"!!  "jealous coward"!!! All these 'reverse praises' for only me? grin wink cheesy I must have hit a nerve big time. LOL. You will have to deal with it as I cannot be bothered going down the personal route with you. You have shown yourself up and that is enough for me. I have commended and criticised writers long before you came along and will continue to do so long after you leave - your petty attempts at insults notwithstanding. grin

P.S. I have more than 500 posts over approximately one year and you have four posts in less than 10 hours and I am supposed to be the one who has been lying in wait jobless? LOL.

LMAO grin grin grin
Re: Sefi Atta by biife: 11:21am On Dec 31, 2007
well done smc, i admire your sound judgment.

on the other hand, see how a fool is ruined by his/her words!

please, let\'s keep this thread flowing with sound judgment.
Re: Sefi Atta by TrueBrit: 7:45pm On Dec 31, 2007
Bravo SMC, I applaud the maturity and dexterity you have displayed here. Don't let anyone put you off. Keep it up.
If Twiliams claims she is a fan of Sefi Atta and is neither sefi atta herself or anyone connected or related to her, she is without a doubt the kind of fan anyone would be ashamed to have. All these market place brawling antics should be stopped.
Re: Sefi Atta by SMC(f): 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2008
@ Biife and True Brit, Thanks guys. smiley It would take more than some insulting "fan" to put me off.  It's funny that I am not jealous of more talented writers like Helen Oyeyemi, Segun Afolabi, Chimamanda Adichie, our esteemed Nobel Laureate Prof. Soyinka etc. It is someone like Sefi Atta I will be jealous of (because in the eyes of the all knowing literary authority - Twiliams, Sefi Atta is the pinnacle of Nigerian writing and all writers should aspire to her standard). What a bloody joke. LOL cheesy wink lipsrsealed

Anyhow, enough of the nonsense. Happy New Year Everyone.
Re: Sefi Atta by Consultant(f): 9:45pm On Jan 02, 2008
@TWilliams,

I am sure Sefi herself will welcome comments on her book - both positive and negative. Otherwise, how will she improve and get better in her writing? No matter how great a writer she is, there is always room for improvement. You mentioned in an earlier post that you were respectfully disagreeing with SMC, but I must say there is nothing respectful in your manner of conversation. Let's all learn to accomodate each other's differences of opinion because nobody can be right all the time.
Re: Sefi Atta by ifyalways(f): 11:23pm On Jan 02, 2008
i have just read her book "everything good wud come"
its quite good going by the fact that its her first book but she can do better.
i agree somewhat with SMC,there are loopholes in the book.
we hope to see her coming out better with other books.
Re: Sefi Atta by blacklion(m): 3:42am On Jan 05, 2008
I enjoyed 'Everything Good Will Come' immensely especially for the retrospective on Nigeria through the 70s to mid-90s - somewhat akin to Kola Omotoso's 'Just Before Dawn' although Atta's novel is out and out fiction. The characters were very much true to Lagos life and I could almost match faces in Lagos to the characters. However, I found the whirlwind romance with Mike rather PC and felt it should have been left out. Came across as if Atta needed to demonstrate her heroine's 'detribalization'.

Although i enjoy historical novels, I've been struggling to finish 'Half of a Yellow Sun'. I find Adichie a tad depressing. Her frequent themes of personal suffering, loss and death [e.g. Purple Hibiscus] depress me. Anything to do with her Catholic background? And what's with the Catholic priest/Lolita motif?

I believe it was SMC who first turned this conversation personal by insinuating that TWilliams might be Sefi Atta or someone connected with her. That was needless and irrelevant; the conversation went downhill from there.
Re: Sefi Atta by Gunnerz: 9:29am On Jan 05, 2008
Sefi Atta, Sefi Attta, hmmm have read it in a professional capacity, (Literature Masters Class) and believe me, those errors will put anybody off especially coming from job that was supposed to have been published abroad but that aside I do not think the work will hold my attention for a second reading. I think she forced it too much and all the literary cannons were jumbled up along the way.
TWiliams, pls do not get personal as I think it is not too nice, but guess u're very passionate about madam Sefi Atta. Remember we all have have a right to our opinions SMC inclusive.
Finally, the lecturer that handled the course in which we used Sefi's work is an authorithy and he re-titled the work "Everything Bad Will Come" grin isn't that funny
I think she got the hype based on the fact that she published outside of this country,
Re: Sefi Atta by TrueBrit: 6:22pm On Jan 05, 2008
@Blacklion, I wonder how alluding that Twiliams might be Sefi Atta can be a reason for the ignorance and rudeness we have all seen displayed here by twiliams. And I do agree with SMC that when you look at the fact that Twiliams has only come on nairaland to talk only on sefi atta and nothing more, it does make you wonder. No one makes all their posts within some hours on one topic without there being some kind of weighted interest. undecided
Re: Sefi Atta by TWiliams: 3:13am On Jan 06, 2008
Consultant I apologise. You are right.

True Brit you too I apologise. I should not have been rude to SMC, but it was an experiment and SMC reacted as I predicted. I was just trying to show that people should temper their criticisms. It is the same on other literary discussions in nairaland.

As for our detectives, unless Ms Attah is a thirty two year old bachelor with nowhere to go on new years. cry Anyone interested? grin

Black Lion I agree with you, but I disagree about Chimamanda's book. That was an excellent read. She was not exactly writing about a happy period in our national history.

Anyway, my point is that if we are to respect ourselves, let us respect the people we are writing about and not let our egos get in the way. I write poetry so I am sensitive and sometimes I can be volatile. I don't normally log into chatrooms, but I read online discussions on Nigerian literature elsewhere and participate whenever I have time.

Peace,
Tayo
Re: Sefi Atta by Schonebaby: 1:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
I agree with Gunnerz. Everything good will come cannot hold my attention for a second reading. Seffi Atta is no doubt a good writer. Her descriptive power is amazing especially at the beginning of the story but I had an issue with the book. It did not grip me through out the read. So, at a point in the middle, I began to loose interest. A very good book should hold your attention from the beginning to the end.no matter how long or short. I read and review novels a lot so I know a delicious book when I see one. To me , the whole book was just overhyped.#just speaking ma mind#
Chimamanda's book 'half of a yellow sun'on the other hand is brilliant. I enjoyed it through and through. However her latest book 'Americanah' left me a bit dissapointed but that is a topic for another thread.

(1) (Reply)

The Man I Married - Episode 1 / New Year Gift / Removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.