Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

That Game ''AYO''! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / That Game ''AYO''! (11676 Views)

Far From Home, Yoruba Community Makes Home In Delta State- King Ayo (pic) / We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Game ''AYO''! by ayobase(m): 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
Mention core traditionally oriented games in Yoruba land, and this will surely come first.
It is played with 48 pellets, the Pellets being distributed among 12 arcic holes. Making it 4 Pellets per hole.
It is a game of two, since the game is of two sides.
PLAYING and WINNING.
The 4 Pellets from a hole is packed and clockwisely distributed by the player.
One at a time!
A player will pack the pellets at his opponent's side if distributing and making 4 pellets in hole(s) is successful.
The winner is decided by he that wins more pellets!

This game has been modified by students, and et al by digging of ground for the container, and with the use of stones as pellets.

A game that sharpens via racking of brain.....U wanna win, u have to be intelligent....the invention of others!
This will help better http://www.wikimanqala.org/wiki/Oware#Rules

Re: That Game ''AYO''! by slimyem: 3:22pm On Aug 19, 2012
ok nah...
So wetin make we come do about ayo now??
Huh?
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by Idowuogbo(f): 3:25pm On Aug 19, 2012
Ayp! is it d weda or wot? undecided
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by ayobase(m): 3:32pm On Aug 19, 2012
I no no wetin I go tell una TWO.
TWO of una showing up on a thread na ''ARMY ARANGEMENT''
Though, just trying to spice up Culture Session!
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by Odunnu: 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2012
I remember playing this game as a primary sch girl but now, I cant remember the 'how to play rules' anymore.
#childhoodmemories.

Lol @ army arrangement
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by dont8(m): 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2012
Wonderful yoruba game, but played mostly by elderly ones, idle or lazy young men.

1 Like

Re: That Game ''AYO''! by Idowuogbo(f): 3:41pm On Aug 19, 2012
ayobase: I no no wetin I go tell una TWO.
TWO of una showing up on a thread na ''ARMY ARANGEMENT''
Though, just trying to spice up Culture Session!
ok! i c...
b creative jare! dis thread na error.
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by anonymous6(f): 3:54pm On Aug 19, 2012
I used to play this game anytime my family and me traveled to Nigeria when I was young; always played with my cousins. It is sort of confusing in the beginning but when you get the hang of it, it is fun.
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by ifyalways(f): 4:38pm On Aug 19, 2012
Its called "Ncho" in igbo. Played it as a kid, still play it now once in a while. The ones carved with wood.
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:31pm On Aug 19, 2012
this game is present all over the orld. i have seen it even among some remote tribes.
Re: That Game ''AYO''! by Horus(m): 11:28pm On Jan 13, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Do I Look Like A Certain Tribe? / Traditional Requirements For Calabar Girls. / How Rare Is It To Be A Light Skinned Yoruba Girl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.