Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? (1143 Views)

How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' / Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / If All Christians Follow Bible Correctly, We'll Be The Same, No Divisions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 22, 2012
I started this thread because I want to know from the Christians, what laws from the Old Testament Christians are supposed to keep. I see some Christians on here talking about things like tithing or the dress code for women or marital relationships and referencing laws from the Old Testament like the ones in Corinthians or Ephesians that give explicit directives on how Christians are/were supposed to live their lives.
I don't understand why the Old Testament is still being referenced for laws when Christianity teaches that with Jesus' coming, old things passed away and new things have replaced them.
But that's beside the point.
I just want to know which of the Old Testament laws are still valid, which of them didn't pass away and should still be applied by Christians in their lives.
Thank you for your explanation.
Peace.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 22, 2012
Modified the topic.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Goshen360(m): 8:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
There is ABSOLUTELY NONE of the OT laws is binding on Christians except for the confused Christians and confused preachers that mixed the OT and NT together to serve it on the table of the Lord. The reason NONE of the OT laws is binding on Christians is that, in the OT that lasted until the death of Christ, God was still dealing with one nation - Israel.

After the death of Jesus, which started the NT (in context, not in book arrangement), the death of Jesus destroyed the middle partition of division and the Gentiles (non-native Israel), was included or engrafted into the NT. Hence, the NT or church consist of both the natural Israel and the Gentiles. And the OT became non effect. When will God institute a new covenant if God still wants to operate in the old. But God took away the old that he may establish the new. Do you then think that God will still use the OT with which he guided a single nation to guide more than one nation? This is the reason for the NT which started in the book of Acts of Apostle where the Gentiles are included/engrafted into the covenant of God.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by danwo: 10:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
E_monkey:

I started this thread because I want to know from the Christians, what laws from the Old Testament Christians are supposed to keep.

I see some Christians on here talking about things like tithing or the dress code for women or marital relationships and referencing laws from the Old Testament like the ones in Corinthians or Ephesians that give explicit directives on how Christians are/were supposed to live their lives.

I don't understand why the Old Testament is still being referenced for laws when Christianity teaches that with Jesus' coming, old things passed away and new things have replaced them.
But that's beside the point.

I just want to know which of the Old Testament laws are still valid, which of them didn't pass away and should still be applied by Christians in their lives.

Thank you for your explanation
Peace.

Goshen360:

There is ABSOLUTELY NONE of the OT laws is binding on Christians except for the confused Christians and confused preachers that mixed the OT and NT together to serve it on the table of the Lord. The reason NONE of the OT laws is binding on Christians is that, in the OT that lasted until the death of Christ, God was still dealing with one nation - Israel.

After the death of Jesus, which started the NT (in context, not in book arrangement), the death of Jesus destroyed the middle partition of division and the Gentiles (non-native Israel), was included or engrafted into the NT. Hence, the NT or church consist of both the natural Israel and the Gentiles. And the OT became non effect. When will God institute a new covenant if God still wants to operate in the old. But God took away the old that he may establish the new. Do you then think that God will still use the OT with which he guided a single nation to guide more than one nation? This is the reason for the NT which started in the book of Acts of Apostle where the Gentiles are included/engrafted into the covenant of God.

@E_monkey

The Old Testament conceals the New Testament

The New Testament reveals the Old Testament

Old Testament:
You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD. - Leviticus 19:18

New Testament:
A new commandment I give unto you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. - John 13:34

Back to your question

The Old Testament and New Testament are like "The Law of Gravity" versus "The Law of Aerodynamics"

One law keeps you grounded, the other lets you fly or rise high in the air like a bird

One Testament is ground-earth bound, the other Testament is sky-heaven bound

One has affinity with the flesh, the other has affinity with the Spirit

Though Goshen360 says ABSOLUTELY NONE of the OT laws is binding on Christians, it is worth recognising that there are times and places when/where they might become binding.

Old Testament:
And the swine, because it divides the hoof, yet chews not the cud, it is unclean unto you: you shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass - Deuteronomy 14:8

New Testament:
But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean has at any time entered into my mouth - Acts 10:14 (Refer to Acts 10:9-17, For more/background details)

Bacons, sausages, pepperoni pizza etc are all good to eat according to Acts 10:15, however Deuteronomy 14:8 the old dietary law, becomes binding when the proper cooking or hygienic production of such food and the food safety and sanitation laws of the land is questionable.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 22, 2012
@Goshen,
thanks for the explanation. You must be one of the Christians that don't support paying tithes.
Also, I was wondering if there are any explicit laws about marriage and how it should be in the New Testament. Are there?
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
@danwo. If I am correct, you are saying that only the laws from the OT that were repeated in the NT should be followed?
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by danwo: 10:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
E_monkey:

@danwo. If I am correct, you are saying that only the laws from the OT that were repeated in the NT should be followed?

@E_monkey

No I did not say such . . .

You are free to follow what floats your boat

Remember "The Old Testament and New Testament are like "The Law of Gravity" versus "The Law of Aerodynamics""

The Old Testament and New Testament just like "The Law of Gravity" and "The Law of Aerodynamics" have their time and place too

You cant fly to the other end of the Earth relying only on "The Law of Gravity", you need the "The Law of Aerodynamics" to lift you and keep you in air, isnt it?

What is this question to Goshen360 on explicit laws about marriage all about.

What are you on about or after
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Goshen360(m): 10:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
Brother "danwo" is one of the brethren I so much appreciate and respect here on this forum because he says the truth and can be trusted with the word of truth in his heart. I strongly believe from the word of God that, mixing the old and the new testament and served to Christians end up in nothing other than confusion in the body of Christ. Many people thinks I don't believe in the OT. This is misconception about my person and teachings. I believe the OT because like bro danwo says, it conceals the new and the new reveals the old. Without the old, we cannot understand the new. But it was God Himself that used the old till Christ came to guide the people of old. When Christ came and after that, the old had served its purpose and was set aside in order to bring the new. Why then do we keep holding unto the old? This is what the modern day preachers are using to confuse God's people to fleece the ignorants.

Concerning the laws of marriage for the NT, we do not have a stipulated kind of marriage because if we do, we "might" still have a law within the Grace. So, if a Christian is capable of court marriage only, let him/her go ahead. Such is valid. If a Christian is capable of church marriage, traditional or even just a palour small event of marriage, so be it as long as there is two or three witnesses. The idea that Christian "must" marry in the church building is unscriptural.

As for the tithing, I don't see ANYWHERE in the scriptures where tithe is mentioned to Christians to be observed. It is fraud in the name of God. What Christians are to do is giving. When God says tithe, He meant tithe which goes with specific instruction of tithable items. We should stop reading into God's word and interpreting it to suite our own ways. If there is any scriptures saying Christians are to tithe God's tithe from their income, contrary to crops and animals in the OT, God would not have missed it to make it known to the Gentiles who later came into the NT because God didn't miss talking it to the Jews in the OT.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Goshen360(m): 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2012
danwo:

@E_monkey

No I did not say such . . .

You are free to follow what floats your boat

Remember "The Old Testament and New Testament are like "The Law of Gravity" versus "The Law of Aerodynamics""

The Old Testament and New Testament just like "The Law of Gravity" and "The Law of Aerodynamics" have their time and place too

You cant fly to the other end of the Earth relying only on "The Law of Gravity", you need the "The Law of Aerodynamics" to lift you and keep you in air, isnt it?

What is this question to Goshen360 on explicit laws about marriage all about.

What are you on about or after

I don't agree he should follow what flows his boat. Only the NT is binding on Christians. Following what flows his boat brings confusion and even curse.

New Living Translation, Heb 8:13
When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear.

2 Corinthians 3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Hebrews 8:8 But God found fault with the people and said: "The time is coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.

Hebrews 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Galatians 3:10 NIV.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by danwo: 11:25pm On Aug 22, 2012
Goshen360 what else did you want me to say brother.

I did earlier mention that one law has affinity with flesh and the other with the Spirit.

We have not yet mentioned the two laws that encompasses all the law and there is fidgeting already

So if it is still vague then he can abide by what floats his boat now
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Goshen360(m): 11:30pm On Aug 22, 2012
danwo: Goshen360 what else did you want me to say brother.

I did earlier mention that one law has affinity with flesh and the other with the Spirit.

We have not yet mentioned the two laws that encompasses all the law and there is fidgeting already

So if it is still vague then he can abide by what floats his boat now

Gat you bro.....my bad. I only wanted us to be specific. I no fit contend with my dear brother o....trust me. ~Smiles~
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 22, 2012
@danwo,
I am not 'after' anything other than to understand better. No need to get paranoid.
@Goshen,
thanks again.
If you don't mind, could you mention the books in the NT that contain the rules christians should live by?
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Goshen360(m): 11:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
^^^
Basically, STUDY from Matthew to Revelation. Matthew to John is called the Gospel because they serve as introduction or foundation to the NT (Acts - Revelation). Matthew to John contains the life, passion of Christ and his words of foundation to the NT because he is the mediator of the NT.......meaning the NT didn't start until the death of Christ and resurrection. So the NT starts from Acts of the Apostles to Revelation. You also need to STUDY the OT (Basically, Genesis to Malachi) because it gives you understanding to the Gospel and the NT but I will advice you give "more" attention/heed to the NT. In all, ALL scriptures is given by the inspiration of God.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by danwo: 11:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
E_monkey:

@danwo,
I am not 'after' anything other than to understand better. No need to get paranoid.
@Goshen,
thanks again.
If you don't mind, could you mention the books in the NT that contain the rules christians should live by?

@E_Monkey

Curiosity and not paranoia actually.

For free, all 27 books from Matthew to Revelation - they are like a hand in glove, bed fellows etc contain guidances for "christians"
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 23, 2012
Much appreciation, Goshen and danwo. I think I understand the views of those that do not think the OT should be referenced for laws.
I hope those that still follow the laws in the Torah and other books in the OT see this thread and explain their stand.
Re: What Laws From The Old Testament Should Christians Follow? by danwo: 7:34am On Aug 23, 2012
E_monkey:

Much appreciation, Goshen and danwo. I think I understand the views of those that do not think the OT should be referenced for laws.
I hope those that still follow the laws in the Torah and other books in the OT see this thread and explain their stand.

@E_monkey

You are welcome. No problems

(1) (Reply)

Please All True Christians On Nairaland,my Friend Needs Your Honest Advise!!!! / The Falsehood In The Book Of Hebrews / A German Muslim Schola's Answers In A Live TV Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.