Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,032 members, 7,821,572 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society (1073 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society by yorubaamerican(m): 9:48am On Aug 23, 2012
I don't know what it is...I think I understand it but I've learned to question everything I think I know. Why do young Nigerians emulate American culture, then turn around and bash America as a whole? Each and everyday I see teens and 20-somethings with pants hanging below their backside, loud booming music, and attitudes mixed with lingo that suggests they love many aspects about the country, yet these same people say America has no culture. They exhibit a part of American culture that has gone awry everyday. Am I missing something? While hip-hop culture may not be what I think represents African-American culture to the fullest, I still can't deny its impact and relevance these days...Young people in Nigeria remind me that hip-hop music, mostly new-age, is here to stay. How do we educate young people on African-American culture by using what they love, hip-hop, and teach them media literacy at the same time?
Re: The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society by 19naia(m): 6:42pm On Aug 23, 2012
all looking for an expression of rebellion,hip hop,rock and roll,or going to join Boko haram? hip hop makes youngsters feel tough and wealthy without the weight of much responsibility
Re: The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 25, 2012
yorubaamerican: I don't know what it is...I think I understand it but I've learned to question everything I think I know. Why do young Nigerians emulate American culture, then turn around and bash America as a whole? Each and everyday I see teens and 20-somethings with pants hanging below their backside, loud booming music, and attitudes mixed with lingo that suggests they love many aspects about the country, yet these same people say America has no culture. They exhibit a part of American culture that has gone awry everyday. Am I missing something? While hip-hop culture may not be what I think represents African-American culture to the fullest, I still can't deny its impact and relevance these days...Young people in Nigeria remind me that hip-hop music, mostly new-age, is here to stay. How do we educate young people on African-American culture by using what they love, hip-hop, and teach them media literacy at the same time?

Interesting post.
Re: The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society by MrsChima(f): 11:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
Hmm.
Re: The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society by yorubaamerican(m): 10:29am On Aug 26, 2012
19naia: all looking for an expression of rebellion,hip hop,rock and roll,or going to join Boko haram? hip hop makes youngsters feel tough and wealthy without the weight of much responsibility

Exactly! What do we do about it?

(1) (Reply)

Ikwerre Practice Corpse Husband Drinking / Is Omoluabi An Educated Concept Or A General One? / Ihiala Royal Family Rejects Governor's Monarch (see Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.