Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai (1965 Views)

Dambazau, Arase And El-rufai Visit Sheikh El-zakzaky (Photos) / Osinbajo And El-Rufai Jet Out To London For A Meeting / South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 11:41pm On Dec 29, 2007
Why Yar’Adua wants Ribadu out - Plans to prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu and El-Rufai

Contrary to reports that the attempt to remove the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Malam Nuhu Ribadu, through the “backdoor”, is due exclusively to the pressure being brought on President Umaru Yar’Adua by the allegedly corrupt former governors, Sunday Tribune can authoritatively report that the President’s kitchen cabinet has a grouse against Ribadu and his closest political associates who were “Obasanjo’s Boys”. In the light of this, that is, with Ribadu’s removal, sources at the presidency disclosed that there are plans that in the months ahead, to arrest and prosecute some of these “OBJ Boys”, if not their principal.

Sources close to the Aso Rock Villa disclosed to the Sunday Tribune that prior to his ascension of power, President Yar’Adua and his kitchen cabinet had decided that Ribadu and other key officials of the Olusegun Obasanjo presidency, dubbed the “OBJ Boys and Girls” will be “put in their place”, so as to check-mate their principal. The OBJ “boys and girls” included, Ribadu, former Minister of FCT, Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Eweala, former of Education Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili, and the Governor of the Central Bank, Dr. Charles Soludo.

It was gathered that the former FCT Minister, El-Rufai, who led the caucus selected by Obasanjo to search for his successor, was favoured by the “OBJ Boys and Girls” who wanted him to pair with Okonjo-Iweala for the presidential race. When the caucus alongside the former president eventually decided that all the initial front-runners, including former Rivers Governor, Dr. Peter Odili, former Cross Rivers State Governor, Mr. Donald Duke, and former Kaduna State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Makarfi, should be dropped, the members of the caucus thought that El-Rufai would easily emerge, since he was seriously considered by Obasanjo himself.

However, while they were still maneuvering, Yar’Adua’s ‘Man Friday’, Tanimo, gave a secret memo to the caucus titled “The Dark Horse”. In the paper, he proposed that Yar’Adua should be suggested to Obasanjo and the PDP and supported by the caucus to emerge as the party’s presidential flag-bearer, since it had become clear to all that anyone Obasanjo supported would emerge the winner, by hook or crook. At this point, sources in the Villa indicated that El-Rufai “practically tore” the proposal of Tanimo in the latter’s presence. This was reported to Yar’Adua who was said to have kept his peace.

A source close to the caucus however disclosed that indeed, when the Yar’Adua candidacy was canvassed before Obasanjo, he embraced it as the most viable alternative to El-Rufai, whom he was going to settle for. But Obasanjo is said to have considered Yar’Adua a better alternative because he was not as “vocal”, “single-minded” and as “exposed” as one of his young Turks, El-Rufai, and would therefore be more “amenable” to instructions from Obasanjo after he left power. However, Obasanjo did not tell El-Rufai this, according to our highly placed sources. He was said to have told El-Rufai that he (El-Rufai) would be less able to “rein in the military” if he became president. It was eventually agreed that the caucus should support Yar’Adua while El-Rufai would head the most important ministry in the new government, the Ministry of Energy.

This decision is said to have changed the plans of “OBJ Boys and Girls” who had planned that with El-Rufai and Okonjo-Iweala as President and Vice, Ribadu would become the Inspector General of Police, with the EFCC incorporated under the police or with Ridabu having supervisory functions over the Commission as IGP. Despite this, a source close to the Obasanjo’s young Turks stated that the members of the group, particularly El-Rufai and Ribadu, threw themselves into the campaign for Yar’Adua and helped in his emergence, even though they were disappointed with Obasanjo’s decision. The two were said to have boasted to their closest associates about what they did to ensure Yar’Adua’s emergence.

Another source even claimed that after Yar’Adua became president, Ribadu met him to “clear the air” on his position, where he confessed that though he rooted for El-Rufai, once Obasanjo resolved on the new president, he did his part to support him. The “support”, a source disclosed, included “appraising” other top presidential gladiators, particularly the governors, of the “debts” they owed the EFCC if they continued to oppose Obasanjo’s favoured candidate, Yar’Adua.

Whether they supported Yar’Adua or not, it was clear that the taciturn former Governor of Katsina and his own kitchen cabinet were not impressed with the role of Ribadu and El-Rufai and saw them as potential rivals within the new government. With Yar’Adua in the saddle, the hope of El-Rufai becoming Minister of Energy died quickly. The process of the appointment of El-Rufai’s successor at the FCT Ministry was considered not only “hasty” but also “untidy” by the “Obasanjo Boys”. Rufai was the first to be quickly replaced by the new government. Also, when Soludo, another member of the caucus, announced a new monetary regime, Yar’Adua promptly cancelled the plan. It was reported in the media that while Soludo conferred with Obasanjo before making the announcement, the new President, Yar’Adua, was kept in the dark.

But the plan to remove Ribadu, Sunday Tribune learnt, was far more complicated for many reasons including the popularity of the anti-corruption war, despite what many considered as the “duplicity” of the Obasanjo government, the international connections, funding and praises that the EFCC had attracted, and the law setting-up the Commission. Given all these, despite the desperate moves by the indicted former governors to quickly see the back of Ribadu and the eagerness of the new Justice Minister and Attorney-General to curtail the actions of Ribadu and the EFCC, President Yar’Adua and his kitchen cabinet decided to proceed with caution. Our sources hinted that to convince the hawks in the inner caucus of the new presidency, a couple of attempts were made to rob the EFCC of its bite, which attracted high public denunciation.

The Yar’Adua caucus then went back to the drawing board to plan how to end the “Ribadu menace”, including stressing the “duplicity” of the Commission and the assumed decision of the Commission to avert its gaze from Obasanjo’s alleged corruption. However, some in the inner circle of the Yar’Adua presidency were becoming impatient with Ribadu given the renewed vigour, after the initial impediments placed by the new Attorney-General, with which he pursued the former governors. It was then decided that the “Ribadu menace” must not be carried into the New Year. However, it was also decided that the presidency should appear to have nothing to do with Ribadu’s removal, with an “ingenious” option devised, which was to ask the IG of Police to order Ribadu to proceed on a course at the Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru.

However, a top source hinted the Sunday Tribune that the decision to shunt aside El-Rufai and to remove Ribadu, are part of the elaborate plan of Yar’Adua and his kitchen cabinet to not only prevent Obasanjo from implementing his plan to rule from Ota, but to also embarrass him so much that he would be left without any room to maneuver and “disturb and harass” the new government, “as he did the Shagari government”, after he handed over in 1979. It is in this context that this top source revealed that once Ribadu has been successfully removed from the EFCC, investigations would begin into all the allegations leveled against former President Olusegun Obasanjo, including those leveled against Ribadu himself and the former FCT Minister, El-Rufai, particularly over the controversial Pentascope.

At the weekend, Ribadu denied that he has been asked to proceed to Kuru, reminding journalists that it is only the President that has the power to appoint and sack him as the Executive Chairman of the EFCC.

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link=%22http://www.tribune.com.ng%22
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 11:43pm On Dec 29, 2007
OBJ has miscalculated once again; the can of JUMBO WORMS is about to be opened.

Stay cool and watch!
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Bhola(f): 11:49pm On Dec 29, 2007
This is the most ridiculous bull-crap I have ever read. So now, just because Yar'Adua does not want Obj to rule from Ota, he decided to throw everyone out, all "Obj's boys and girls"? Wow, what a leader. Seriously, if you have been praying for Nigeria, you really need to stop. It is going to self destruct.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 11:56pm On Dec 29, 2007
BHOLA:
Please watch and learn!
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by hollandis(f): 11:57pm On Dec 29, 2007
Big B1:

Why Yar’Adua wants Ribadu out - Plans to prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu and El-Rufai

The OBJ “boys and girls” included, Ribadu, former Minister of FCT, Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Eweala, former of Education Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili, and the Governor of the Central Bank, Dr. Charles Soludo.

Why do I feel ,these people have a lot in common?
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 12:06am On Dec 30, 2007
There was a reason why OBJ did not pick a Yoruba man as his successor, but his biggest mistake was not understanding that the bond between Hausa folks are extremely solid and mightyfully incompressible.

There is absolutely no way an Hausa man would ever trade his brother to make mere OBJ happy.
It just doesn't go that way.

I knew from day one that OBJ has over stayed his welcome. I'm sure he's somewhere (very afraid) busy reading holy bible.
The man has deceived all his real close friends; he has only Adedibu and Ehindero (who also happen to be standing on one leg) on his side.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by hollandis(f): 12:12am On Dec 30, 2007
Obasanjo's tyranical regime was bedevilled with nauseating activities,corrution,untechnicalities,wantom death e.g ikeja bomb blast and failure
Bible ke?He has an Ogboni man.Let's see his super power
He is a proverbial disgrace

My question still persists,

ribadu,okonji,madam due process(i hate this one),soludo,el-rufai, what do they have in common? why do they annoy me?
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Bhola(f): 12:39am On Dec 30, 2007
Big B1:

BHOLA:
Please watch and learn!

Learn what? From who? You? Big or small B, just because some of us don't come here screaming and shouting about politics, does not mean we don't know what's going on.

Thanks for that, but it is not needed.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 1:31am On Dec 30, 2007
There is nobody screaming here!
Just because you've been screamed at through out your life doesn't me folks are screaming when they're simply discussing politics.

It's 6pm, abeg go cook!
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Bhola(f): 2:47am On Dec 30, 2007
Big B1:

There is nobody screaming here!
Just because you've been screamed at through out your life doesn't me folks are screaming when they're simply discussing politics.

It's 6pm, abeg go cook!

Wow small B, this is the best you could come up with? Screamed at throught my life? And it is 6pm, I should go cook? I bet you have never been stepped up on by a woman before.

Small B, whatever you are scared about, will surely get to you, sooner than later.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 3:44am On Dec 30, 2007
OK, ms Bhola, you've gotten enough air time.

Please, go ahead and have yourself a great weekend!
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by DisGuy: 3:59am On Dec 30, 2007
reads like a secondary school story undecided

Anyway every prosecution is a welcome development in Nigeria, as long as they are genuine efforts to curb corruption and improve the economy
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Backslider(m): 7:04pm On Dec 30, 2007
Reminds me of The Nazi.

You keep repeating false hood to make it the fact and they it seems like the truth.

The same OBj that had problems with Ribadu?

You guys cant seem to amaze me. Any carry on.

It is only God that will help Nigeria

Yaradua knows that he cant rule Nigeria by himself No one can. You need a Hammer Like OBJ behind you.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Mariory(m): 7:17pm On Dec 30, 2007
So it is no longer OBJ that 'removed' Ribadu because Ibori was going to spill the beans. It is now because Yaradua wants to persecute OBJ. Big B1's version of the truth is the latter.Some other people believe the former. Where are the group of people who believe this is all Bush's handiwork?
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by kokoA(m): 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2007
i don't care who is removing who or who is not removing who, all i can say is that any prosecution at all (if na obj side oo or na yar'adua side o) is welcomed as long as these folks are corrupt. who cares.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 8:36pm On Dec 30, 2007
Exactly!
I do not care, as long as Ribadu (selectivity) is gone, the EFCC is reformed and the prosecution of corrupt leaders is successfully completed.
That is all that matters.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Mamajama(m): 9:54pm On Dec 30, 2007
I am not sure why you guys waste your time on rumors and false publication by the disgruntle Nigerian press.

The caption states YAR ADUA Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai.

some other paper stating the Brazilian case led to RIbadu removal. When will all this useless press stop publishing fake stories? where are they getting the facts from?

The removal of RIBADU by this useless president is a slap on democrazy and RULE OF LAW that he has been preaching about.

EFCC is not answerable to the IGP, they report to the president.

IF EFCC was answerable to the IGP, there is no way in hell RIBADU would have been able to bring down his boss TAFA BALOGUN.

Politics is a dirty game, Yar Adua need to be a ball and stop hidding under the IGP to do his dirty work. Why is the presidency not saying anything about this move?
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by IykeD1(m): 11:22pm On Dec 30, 2007
Soludo is next, and then the job will be completed. But after that, the country will fall back
into snooze mode as dullness is going to characterize this administration.

If Yar Adua likes he can fill most of the positions with people from one part of the country
including the very unqualified ones. It has been tried in the past and the results or lack of
it are there for all to see. For all his flaws, OBJ tried to get the best man or woman for the
job hence you had the Ribadus, El Rufai, Ngozi, Soludo, etc.

In addition to lack of credibility, brilliance is one more ingredient that seems to be a scarce
commodity in this administration. Its one thing to condemn or reverse a policy or idea that
has been put forth by others, its another to come up with yours entirely. Soon Yar Adua
will have to declare emergency on his existing emergencies for power, roads, etc.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 30, 2007
them don sort out Soludo since

na Onyiuke-Okereke go be next

Na Shamsudeen usman I dey wait, since he destroy Soludo him never come up with any programme
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 31, 2007
the cattle will soon come home to roost
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by swing4real(m): 2:53am On Dec 31, 2007
@Big B1

For crying out loud after OBJ is IBB.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 4:24am On Dec 31, 2007
Bring it on!
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by astronp7(m): 4:30am On Dec 31, 2007
OBJ was more tactful in his strategies than Yar' Adua (though most times they are personal). If Yar' Adua should go for OBJ now it will be suicide becos OBJ can go down without a fight.

I think the president should forget these propaganders for they will do him no good. He should spend his efforts to better the lives of poor Nigerians instead of all these "film tricks". Na today? We have seen these before. What came out of Oputa Panel.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by otokx(m): 7:00am On Dec 31, 2007
They want to do government magic.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by ndubest(m): 10:37am On Dec 31, 2007
ONLY TIME WILL TELL
LET'S WATCH AND SEE
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by jockey112(m): 1:11pm On Dec 31, 2007
mikeansy:

them don sort out Soludo since

na Onyiuke-Okereke go be next

Na Shamsudeen usman I dey wait, since he destroy Soludo him never come up with any programme

spot on

check this out :http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=99222

I think the situation in nigeria we remain until we have a voice,like a strong opposition party,sometimes i wonder why people like pat utomi,wole soyinka and gani cannot form a party,i know political party mean a lot of money exactly the way it is in most "developed" countries but sometimes the rule of the game "politics" does change and money will not be the real factor.

I am convinced the people of nigeria including myself want change but i think we need a "boat" .May God help us soon as a nation so we dont sink.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Backslider(m): 1:33pm On Dec 31, 2007
I am thinking aloud here.

all this move is to allow for time to pass so that Atiku will soften his stance. The big heads is what is holding Yaradua. Let us Give him time. he needs to be strong on the government.

Baba hands are deep in this but the game must be played like it is real. You must play Good cop bad Cop. Yaradua Carrot is what you are seeing. He needs it because he must be in control.

The Big heads have an Army of corrupt people.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by babasin(m): 2:13pm On Dec 31, 2007
IF EFCC was answerable to the IGP, there is no way in hell RIBADU would have been able to bring down his boss TAFA BALOGUN.

OBJ did and not EFCC. stopping deceive yourself.

Ribadu always carry files to OBJ to approve before he go after anyone!

EFCC is not answerable to the IGP, they report to the president.

IF obj screwed-up because he is BUSH-MAN, YARA-DAUL is educated.

IG is BOSS of ribadu. He can do whatever with him. He only need to inform YARA-Dull, which he did. end of story.

Bye bye to Ribadu.

NOW IBB, ATIKU, YARA-DULL will now deal with your Baba-in-OTA

OBJ will soon know the OLD-SAYING; you dont bite the hands that feed you, even if its hand of EVIL.
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by BigB11(m): 3:25pm On Dec 31, 2007
I totally agree!
You just don't bite those folks that removed you from KUJE mansion!
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by solumto: 10:03am On Jan 02, 2008
This is truly a recommendable strategy being used by Yar'adua but my question is what kind of agency or machinery will he put in place to carry out his investigation following the removal of the EFCC office?
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by NigEclipse(m): 11:48pm On Jan 03, 2008
Time will tell indeed! I'm in favor of anything that will lead to the halt of OBJ obtaining power, because if OBJ goes down all of the other looters will go down with him! And this means that looters like Dr. Sam Egwu will soon be facing the music for what they did to their states!
Re: Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai by Orosunnuku(m): 4:53pm On Jan 05, 2008
What goes round must surely come round!
Prosecution of Obj & others may herald the era of accountability!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Remembering Sosoliso Plane Crash Victims. / Another Bomb Blast In Abj Dec 31 2010 / Jos Nigeria: New Wave Of Violence Leaves 200 Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.