Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Why Nigeria Will Never Progress - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Will Never Progress (3358 Views)

Nigeria Will Be Livable If All State Capitals Can Be Like Enugu-pictures / Igbos Are The Reason Nigeria Will Never Split - My Opinion / Why Nigeria Is Underdeveloped. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by babasin(m): 9:27am On Dec 31, 2007
Experts estimate that power generation would plunge to 1000MW by February 2008 from the present level of about 3000MW
and the nation would be thrown into darkness. 
Specifically, about 1500MW is being generated from Kainji, Jebba and Shiroro hydro power plants with only 400MW and 700MW coming from Afam and Egbin power plants respectively.
Only about 2000MW is however being transmitted from these plants due to constraints of transmission and distribution . It is therefore expected that the 2000MW may be cut down by half to 1000MW by February given the current scheme of things.
The highly placed source, who would not like to be quoted, said: “By February, the water level would have gone down in Kainji and Shiroro. So they would not be able to run all the turbines there. Gas that is 24 hours and 365 days a year that would have put new power plants working, two or three of them would have come mainstream between now and March. Now Yar’Adua’s government has got them stranded. They cannot come on between now and June.
“We are going to have a national catastrophe in February, March, April because the water level would be so low that time that the output from those hydro plants would be so small. Egbin is the major one we rely on. Egbin doesn’t always have enough dry gas from Warri. And Egbin produces 1400 MW supply. By February, the total output in this country may not be more than 1000MW. I can conveniently predict it. If care is not taken, this country may not get more than 1000MW,” a source told THISDAY.

During ABACHA 5yrs Nigeria was producing 3000MW

During OBJ 8yrs and after $800mil spent, Nigeria is still producing same 3000MW.

Yet, this same MAN is FREE and ABOUT in Nigeria!!

This why NIGERIA will never progress because other-ruler-thieves know NIGERIANS ARE DUMMY and they can get away with whatever!

Those noise about Nigeria being 20 best economies in 2020 or whatever is absolute NONSENSE. anyone saying such should be shot.

Power Generation by Country:

[list]
[li]Germany --> 582,000 GW[/li]
[li]France -->549,000GW[/li]
[li]UK --->386,000GW[/li]
[li]Italy -->279,000GW[/li]
[li]Spain -->238,000GW[/li]
[li]Nigeria -->3000MW[/li]

[/list]
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by micklplus(m): 9:28am On Jan 02, 2008
Ghen ghen !
No be small thing o
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by naijaking1: 9:33am On Jan 02, 2008
Power means just that power.

We can't develop without power, and we can't get enough power by awarding power contracts to disreputable companies through Iyabos connections.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by kaycrystal(m): 10:20am On Jan 02, 2008
Vision 2020 is just mere sing song for political apologists,
wot are the indices for the ecomomic revival?
any directions in terms of policies?
its obvious the same way vision 2010 went is whats happening right now,
we presently dont have the people that can move us forward in key positions,
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by mazaje(m): 11:18am On Jan 02, 2008
babasin:

Power Generation by Country:

[list]
[li]Germany --> 582,000 GW[/li]
[li]France -->549,000GW[/li]
[li]UK --->386,000GW[/li]
[li]Italy -->279,000GW[/li]
[li]Spain -->238,000GW[/li]
[li]Nigeria -->3000MW[/li][/list]

kaycrystal:

Vision 2020 is just mere sing song for political apologists,
wot are the indices for the ecomomic revival?
any directions in terms of policies?
its obvious the same way vision 2010 went is whats happening right now,
we presently don't have the people that can move us forward in key positions,

Why should we keep on lying and deluding our selves? what is vision 2020? what can we do to make us attain that level of development within that stipulated time? What are the indices of economic rebirth as some one has very rightly stated? Where is the excellent and focused leadership? 3000MW chie no be small thing ohhhh.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by ono(m): 12:43pm On Jan 02, 2008
babasin:

During OBJ 8yrs and after $800mil spent, Nigeria is still producing same 3000MW.
Yet, this same MAN is FREE and ABOUT in Nigeria!!

And throughout that period, EFCC under Ribadu did not see anything worth investigating about the man. As we discuss here, the man has built a Hiltop Mansion at Abeokuta GRA - similar to what obtains in Minna, and is probably bathing in one of the several Jacuzzi tubs in the mansion.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by kaycrystal(m): 1:48pm On Jan 02, 2008
@mazaje

we learnt what was actually submitted to obj was vision 2025 based on ecomomic indices and all. but the obj economic mgt team decided vision 2020 probably sounded better without any recourse to those indices
the ecomomy is to grow at least 15% yearly, the manufacturing sector shd be alive.

but obviously with the level of power generation, a CBN governor that is meant to host a nite of a thousand laughs, a president that has engaged the reverse gear, an economy that imports toothpicks,u can imagine or better still u knw where we'll be in 2020!
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by mazaje(m): 9:59pm On Jan 02, 2008
kaycrystal:

@mazaje

we learnt what was actually submitted to obj was vision 2025 based on ecomomic indices and all. but the obj economic mgt team decided vision 2020 probably sounded better without any recourse to those indices
the ecomomy is to grow at least 15% yearly, the manufacturing sector should be alive.

but obviously with the level of power generation, a CBN governor that is meant to host a night of a thousand laughs, a president that has engaged the reverse gear, an economy that imports toothpicks,u can imagine or better still u knw where we'll be in 2020

No be small thing.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 02, 2008
“We are going to have a national catastrophe in February, March, April because the water level would be so low that time that the output from those hydro plants would be so small. Egbin is the major one we rely on. Egbin doesn’t always have enough dry gas from Warri. And Egbin produces 1400 MW supply. By February, the total output in this country may not be more than 1000MW. I can conveniently predict it. If care is not taken, this country may not get more than 1000MW,” a source told THISDAY.

This is annoyingly pathetic!

but obviously with the level of power generation, a CBN governor that is meant to host a night of a thousand laughs, a president that has engaged the reverse gear, an economy that imports toothpicks,[/b]u can imagine or better still u knw where we'll be in 2020!

To crown it all this is madness!

Until average citizens are [b]ready to wage war
on the government, hundred years from now, this would continue.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by bawomol(m): 2:21am On Jan 03, 2008
nigeria is only 47 yr old. it's unrealistic to compare it 2 republics that are at least 100yr's old. countries like germany and the US have nuclear plans and wind power. such things are under devoplment in nigeria. time would tell. the US wasn't pretty much bankrupt at the age of 50.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Kobojunkie: 2:42am On Jan 03, 2008
bawomol:

nigeria is only 47 yr old. it's unrealistic to compare it 2 republics that are at least 100yr's old. countries like germany and the US have nuclear plans and wind power. such things are under devoplment in nigeria. time would tell. the US wasn't pretty much bankrupt at the age of 50.

I understand your argument and all but are you saying that age determines how good a country does in the world we live in today? I beg to differ, we happen to have come in to the game at a time when there was and still is no need to reinvent the wheel as there are so many examples around us to emulate should we want to become successful as a nation. We are about 40 years behind most of the developed world in the year 2007, who is to say that 50 more years from now, at the pace we have been on, we would not be 100years behind the rest of the world by then?? The solution to the Nigerian problem is really SIMPLE.  We do not need to invent new ways to do this or that since it has all been handled for us. All we have to do is apply what already is to our benefit. I don't see why that should take another 50 years for us to get that done. Anywho, I am of the mind that the ball is in the court of the individual Nigerian. We each have to decide how long it will take ,2 years or 100 years?? We get to decide.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Mamajama(m): 3:38am On Jan 03, 2008
@babasin where is your source for that power quote?
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Backslider(m): 3:43am On Jan 03, 2008
people of Nigeria

The problem is corruption Corruption and only corruption.

You can go to be the president if you have Thieves as your adviser you will go no where.

Why do we as Nigerians Just not say the truth.

People are corrupting other people. This is what I call babagidaism. Let the people steal small and I steal big Chop I Chop syndrome.

I blame OBJ for Under estimating corruption.

If you were the president I you gave a contract of $400million to a man you trust and he ends up squandering the money only to bring rubish what do you do?

Take a gun and kill him?

You must follow due process and the court and media are the most muderously corrupt set of people.  If we have men that love God and man in the media and the courts then Nigeria has hope.

No amount of war against corruption can clear the evil. Somany people of the Efcc have been mudered no one says nothing. The warriors that shed their blood for Nigeria to clean it out are the evil people.

The court is corrupt the media is on the payroll of the corrupt men.

The evil men are having a field day and no one is ready to help us. There is no man that can work and say i am ready to do it not for the money.

If OBJ had looked for 1 million men like  NUHU may be it would have been better. He could not have been able to get them because Nuhu is a rare specie.

Obj should have trained 14 year olds that have not been corrupted by the time he is leaving office they will be 22years old. There no honest men again, all seek money that is why we are in Darkness.

Money and education doesnot make happiness it is Honesty. Yaradua may fail if the problem of corruption is not dealt with.

You do a contract and you send people to spoilt so that you take money again.

Why I blame Obj is that he did not train men that
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 03, 2008
bawomol:

Don't make useless excuses for Nigeria's underdevelopment.
Just like kobojunkie said, we do not need to invent anything as there is enough to copy.

Many people may still be wondering why some Asian countries are developing rapidly. It's simply by copying what is already invented by these great western nations.

I still strongly believe that there's something wrong with the black man.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Backslider(m): 3:59pm On Jan 03, 2008
There is nothing wrong with the Black man. It is corruption in the High places desired by both RICH and POOR.

We are the ones that say if I get there I will Chop also.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by mazaje(m): 5:28pm On Jan 03, 2008
Backslider:

There is nothing wrong with the Black man. It is corruption in the High places desired by both RICH and POOR.

We are the ones that say if I get there I will Chop also.

I disagree with this statement there is something really wrong with the black man. you don't have to look far enough to see it, some of the western countries are super corrupt but they still manage to feed, educate, provide shelter and the basic necessities of life to their citizens. Take an introspective look at africa and you will see that the problem is much more than corruption, infact it's more than what meets the eyes.

Any country that can not solve it's power problem can never solve any other problem it has because power to a nation is like food to a human being which nourishes and maintains life with out it no country can grow. Dubai(United Arab Emirates) and Malaysia were both poorer than Nigeria in the 70's but see where they are today, some one rightly stated that we need not sit down and device for means any more all we need to do is think and apply what has already been invented so that we can grow yet we can't do that not so difficult task. The white people had to sit down think discover, invent and apply before they became what they are, they havent relented because they are still thinking and applying, we have everything at our disposal yet we just cant apply anything. Imagine yar'adua still goes to germany for kidney treatment chie the black man is doomed.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by vikiviko(m): 7:07pm On Jan 03, 2008
Although, bedeviled by perennial misrule, utter economic mismanagement, and corruption, due to lack of dedicated leadership, Nigeria continues to be technically the jewel in the crown of British geopolitical influence, the bridge to Sub-Saharan Africa, and the hope of African development, modernization, and security. As a result, it is strategically significant for Nigeria to remain as one nation so that various aspirations can be achieved.

Everybody is involved to make Nigeria progress again.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by BabsO2(m): 7:23pm On Jan 03, 2008
Corruption is the biggest halt to our development.

However the Good News is the Church is growing and Nigerians are repenting in the thousands and millions and the Lord has started to heal our land.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by almondjoy(f): 9:02pm On Jan 03, 2008
In as much as I would like to be passionate about this subject, I think I have decided to reserve my energy this year for "Blessings of the Future", so I do not lose "them". 

I frankly do not intend to discuss old unresolved issues of 2007 in this new year of 2008. Corruption, Ribadu, OBJ, Ibori, Yaradua, IBB and the likes are "unproductive" evil spirits of the past!!!!  Do not wish to discuss merry go round/circus topics this year because they are not only boring but kill whatever brain cells are left in my cerebrum. The same old shit.

Goodluck Nigeria as you approach your 48th birthday!!! See you on Independence day!

Well, keep praying hard as usual fellow Nigerians---E go better one day!!! cool Everything that has a beginning has an end too.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by TheSly: 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2008

Well, keep praying hard as usual---E go better one day!!! cool

sure. . . . . maybe in the year 2590 undecided

tsewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by ono(m): 10:00pm On Jan 03, 2008
almondjoy:

In as much as I would like to be passionate about this subject, I think I have decided to reserve my energy this year for "Blessings of the Future", so I do not lose "them".

I frankly do not intend to discuss old unresolved issues of 2007 in this new year of 2008. Corruption, Ribadu, OBJ, Ibori, Yaradua, IBB and the likes are "unproductive" evil spirits of the past!!!! Do not wish to discuss merry go round/circus topics this year because they are not only boring but kill whatever brain cells are left in my cerebrum. The same old shit.

Goodluck Nigeria as you approach your 48th birthday!!! See you on Independence day!

Well, keep praying hard as usual fellow Nigerians---E go better one day!!! cool Everything that has a beginning has an end too.

Almond,
To put it straight, this is the best entry I've read today on NL.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by janami(f): 10:04pm On Jan 03, 2008
nigeria can never progress becos nigerians like putting themselves down. When someone makes an effort, they call it "crap" but they never stand up to do a better job of it tongue
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Jan 03, 2008
janami:

nigeria can never progress because nigerians like putting themselves down. When someone makes an effort, they call it "crap" but they never stand up to do a better job of it tongue

Interesting. If that was even close to the reason why Nigeria can never progress. Countries like the USA, UK, Russia, China and the many other advanced countries out there should be extensions of hell on the planet. Have you ever read the many ANTI books against most every persons and idea that has succeeded today ?? Are you kidding me?
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 03, 2008
janami:

nigeria can never progress because nigerians like putting themselves down. When someone makes an effort, they call it "crap" but they never stand up to do a better job of it tongue

There are more depressed and suicidal people in the US than Nigeria. Why is the US progressing?
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by janami(f): 10:20pm On Jan 03, 2008
cos american people just dont put themselves down just to be heard, they want something done and most times, something is done. They are a people of action, not words alone. see, i hate current affairs programmes in nigeria, why? because pple just sit back, cross their legs and criticse, talk, bla bla bla. they neva do anything abt it. especially pple in leadership
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Kobojunkie: 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2008
janami:

because american people just don't put themselves down just to be heard, they want something done and most times, something is done. They are a people of action, not words alone. see, i hate current affairs programmes in nigeria, why? because people just sit back, cross their legs and criticse, talk, bla bla bla. they never do anything about it. especially people in leadership

Wow,  you have not seen late night tv have you ?? MAJORITY of them put others down just so they can be heard, if you do not change the channel, they will talk your ears off. Yet, these people seem to succeed. interesting!!
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 03, 2008
janami:

because american people just don't put themselves down just to be heard, they want something done and most times, something is done. They are a people of action, not words alone. see, i hate current affairs programmes in nigeria, why? because people just sit back, cross their legs and criticse, talk, bla bla bla. they never do anything about it. especially people in leadership

Maybe you need to watch MSNBC and co . . . forever analysing politics while doing absolutely nothing.

Again my question, why is the US still progressing?
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by toshmann(m): 10:34pm On Jan 03, 2008
almondjoy:

I frankly do not intend to discuss old unresolved issues of 2007 in this new year of 2008. Corruption, Ribadu, OBJ, Ibori, Yaradua, IBB and the likes are "unproductive" evil spirits of the past!!!!  Do not wish to discuss merry go round/circus topics this year because they are not only boring but kill whatever brain cells are left in my cerebrum. The same old shit.

almondbaby, get ready to make this statement again next yr grin grin grin grin
and the yr after next grin grin grin
and the following yr grin grin grin
till you give up. . or till you die . . . . whichever comes first.  grin grin grin grin grin

i think it's time to be realistic. our nation is headed towards the dead end. it is pathetic.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Kobojunkie: 10:34pm On Jan 03, 2008
toshmann:

almondbaby, get ready to make this statement again next yr grin grin grin grin
and the yr after next grin grin grin
and the following yr grin grin grin
till you give up. . or till you die . . . . whichever comes first. grin grin grin grin grin

i think it's time to be realistic. our nation is headed towards the dead end. it is pathetic.

LMAO!!!
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by toshmann(m): 10:39pm On Jan 03, 2008
@kobo
abi na lie i talk cheesy i don analyse naija. e no go better in my lifetime grin grin grin
no be curse o. infact no be even great prediction. it's like saying if i add £5 to the £20 i have it will get me £25 . . .simple.
it doesnt need a prophet to see where we are going. if we like make the whole country fast and pray for ten yrs, if nothing dramatic doesnt happen in our national psyche nothing go change.
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by janami(f): 10:40pm On Jan 03, 2008
ur question answered: there are more people doing something about it in the usa. let us look at the job situation here, while i am screaming my mouth out that there is no employment opportunities in naija, americans are creating employment for themselves, not waiting for the govt.
while i am screaming that food dey too expensive o! some americans are migrating to farmlands
when tranformer spoil for area, instead of the neighbors to contribute, they begin to shout fashola's name.
need i say more?
Re: Why Nigeria Will Never Progress by Skywalker5(m): 10:47pm On Jan 03, 2008
Nigeria cant progress shocked shocked shocked shocked be like so sha. undecided undecided undecided

Nigeria cant progress because Nigerians themselves are not trying to progress.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Under Pressure To Dump Bankole / See What Nigerians Expect Buhari To Do For Them. Picture . / Why We Don't Speak Igbo At Our Meetings-ohaneze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.