Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target (38916 Views)

Zenith Bank Sacks 1,200 Employees - Premium Times / Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by stpat1(m): 9:34pm On Aug 26, 2012
so sad
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by gbadexy(m): 9:42pm On Aug 26, 2012
Why all the hidden posts, I hope people are not casting aspersion on the dead lady or bring tribal insult into this sad story.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by kokogee: 9:46pm On Aug 26, 2012
@ chaircover, u r right there r women that work bcs they want to support their husband but I can say it categorically that many pocket all the money they earn and leave the hubbys to face the bills incurred at home. Some want to die with the work because they boast a lot living FAKE LIVES with flashing stuff all over. Infact, some still live above their means despite the much they earn; imagine sm1 earning close to 300k/month complaining the money is not enough and there are ppl that earn btwn 40k-60k/month in the same orgn

Some would say they can never reside in certain areas, cannot live in a particular manner- tastes are very high; so they prefer to die with the work than let ppl see them live the life they never wanted to.

If sm1 would die bcs of not meeting target, the person would still die if asked to resign. 2 bad!!!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Ninilowo(m): 9:52pm On Aug 26, 2012
This post has been hidden

1 Like

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by babamoha(m): 10:15pm On Aug 26, 2012
That na why some bank staff do defraud the bank cause they know that they will lose their job if they didn't meet their target.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by stagger: 10:21pm On Aug 26, 2012
I don't know of a sane husband that will allow his wife work in the bank.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by dnawah(m): 10:24pm On Aug 26, 2012
chillbabe: 7 Access Bank Marketing staff dies of Hypertension in weeks

August 24th, 2012 by newsacross

We should see in every prostitute an accusing finger pointing firmly at society as a whole. Every love-vendor, every partner in prostitution, turns the knife in this festering and gaping wound that disfigures the world. In desperate bid to increase its capital base, Access Bank, like love-vendor, has resorted to numerous unethical practices. In desperate bid to remain in business, set unrealistic targets for their female staff insisting that they either live up to expectations or lose their jobs.

A huge number of female bankers have either lost their jobs due to non-compliance or kept the jobs by embracing what has now been tagged ‘corporate prostitution.’ While some of them have died of heart-attack. Access Bank, we hear, has even gone a step further by buying official cars for some of the ladies who go about in skimpy revealing dresses to seduce high net-worth ‘customers’ to make deposits. This ‘trade’ has been so mastered by some ladies that they don’t have to fix a date or a venue for the exploitation, as they have ‘ready-made package’ for randy depositors who wish to explore the spontaneity aspect of the business.

Aig Imoukhuede led bank has literally turned the female bankers to prostitutes and they make no pretence about it. Those who could not stand the heat are always advised to get of the system and look for jobs elsewhere.

Sadly, however, one of the female marketers, Solabomi Olugbemi of Retail Business Unit at Simbiat Abiola branch of Access Bank, died early this morning. She had being on admission for over two weeks. Her Friends and co-workers who visited her said she confided in them that she had being under a lot of stress because of Deposit Mobilization mandate (OJC) Operation. Just because the Divisional Director gave them an ear-pulling warning early this year to raise cheap funds for the bank on N1 trillion in 6months. Solabomi lost her life because of bad accounts she inherited from a product called Auto-online (Car Loan) coupled with the incident of one of her customers withdrawing 200million naira from his account which threw her balance sheet to negative.

We also gathered from an insider in the bank that Solabomi collapsed on the last day of OJC target deadline because she was unable to maintain a huge demand deposit balance. She was immediately rushed to Jolade hospital in Gbagada, Lagos but she was later taken to Military hospital in Ikoyi, Lagos where she was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Young and jovial Solabomi (29 years old) who was married with 3 little children and a lovely husband died early this morning. Sources also confirmed that over 60% of access Bank staff are highly hypertensive and run the risk of heart attacks in their young age.

http://www.newsacross.com/7-access-bank-marketing-staff-dies-of-hypertension-in-weeks/
hmmm!well target na target o!whether na hypertension or death na target reached.RIP
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by ayandee: 10:33pm On Aug 26, 2012
Her husband should have seen it coming. She must have complained many times about d job. He should have encouraged her to leave.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by vislabraye(m): 10:37pm On Aug 26, 2012
To get job na wahala, to keep job another wahal. To pass ssce or Jamb na war. Some people committed suicide because they failed ssce. I know people have died because of low GP.
Life can be unfair. May God help us all. At every stage, one will have to face obstacles. Its a pity that she has to die.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Ukonuandrew(m): 10:39pm On Aug 26, 2012
Banking job is lik an institution wer people outside ar woking their way in, nd peopl inside ar woking their way out. It is 'COPERATE SLAVERY'
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Chinom(m): 10:41pm On Aug 26, 2012
The lady was just 29 with 3 obviously very young children. I blame her and her husband. They had their priorities wrong. She should have left the bank if the pressure was too much with the backing of her husband.
Now you see why many Igbo husbands open shops for their wives. Either that, or they become full-time housewives. No wife of mine will leave the house at 6.00am and return home at 10.00pm. Which kind money be that?.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by acume: 10:53pm On Aug 26, 2012
My advice goes to our young talented graduates who think bank job is the best, even when u pick up the job, u should always remember that if u kill urself for the bank,in d name of trying to meet target the bank will not seize to exist, so gat to use your brain
alaoeri: As far as am concerned if the story is true she kill herself why 'll some have hypertension @ 29 just because u doesn't meet a target & afraid of loosing her job now that she have lost her life who is gonna cater for kids, she fail τ̲̅ȍ realise that loosing a job isn't the end of life in as much as there's life there's hope, now she's göne nö hope nothing, just pity the kids she left behind.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by doofanc: 11:01pm On Aug 26, 2012
Young and jovial Solabomi (29 years old) who was married with 3 little children and a lovely husband died early this morning. Sources also confirmed that over 60% of access Bank staff are highly hypertensive and run the risk of heart attacks in their young age.

shitty journalism anyone who believes this trash should have his/her head examined.

how do we know she was not hypertensive before she took the appointment with Access bank?

how do we prove the she stress she developed was due to the job?

anyway, my condolences to the family.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by mrkels(m): 11:04pm On Aug 26, 2012
This bank useless sha, when I went for an interview there early this year, they told us to fund 10 accounts with 1million naira, those that brough were given employment letters and those that didn't bring were sent back after days of interview at 9pm in the night!!! Yeye bank
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 26, 2012
This is a ridiculous thread, for the simple reason that it purports to single out Access Bank for blame for a malady that is prevalent in most, if not all, 'new generation' banks in Nigeria. In any case, how is it Access Bank's fault that anyone chooses to DIE, or worse still, live and prostitute herself in order to retain her job? Is it by force to work in Access Bank or any other bank for that matter? If the conditions or demands of the job are not compatible with your world-view or moral inclinations, why not simply quit and explore other options? Is it a do-or-die affair to retain the 'big-babe-that-works-in-xyz-bank 'status'?

I don't see why anyone's hypertension, death, or promiscuity should be blamed on Access Bank or any other bank for that matter. I'm sure people don't get conscripted into bank jobs or forced at gun point to remain there. It is ALWAYS entirely a matter of personal choice, and the repercussions of that personal choice must de dealt with as consequences of one's own decisions. Simple.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Dee60: 11:20pm On Aug 26, 2012
This allegations need to be investigated. I strongly appeal to the regulatory bodies and the Police to swing into action. The allegations about some of these banks, particularly the one mentioned has been on for many years!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by dabrake(m): 11:29pm On Aug 26, 2012
deluckiest: Na by force? I must to go withdraw my 42M zimbabwean dollars deposit with them before dem kill our women finish. Yeye prostitute bank!
fixed
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by folahann(m): 11:59pm On Aug 26, 2012
If you used some tricky means to get the job, expect to be lured into tricky things.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by 234GT(m): 12:07am On Aug 27, 2012
Access bank pegs their age limit for entry level at 24 because they want kids they can order around. I would simply have resigned from that job. Must you die on the job? I dont pity her at all.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Nobody: 12:30am On Aug 27, 2012
May her soul rest in peace. I have been opportuned to meet bank marketers in late 90s. Target driven marketing job is very demanding for products that are not
self selling or products that are not enjoying near market monopoly.

For survival, one may tend to drive himself/herself to death unconsciously. I narrowly escaped death as an IT manager of an undefined multinational group in 2010.
Having lost the job 9 months earlier after an intensive enduring period of only 8 months as the longest serving IT staff. I was re-employed to cater for 2 organisations as IT manager, no IT staff, I am the project manager, IT staff, labourer/clerk, engineer, manager. I endured for 4 months working almost 18hrs/day.
I fell sick was diagnosed of high BP. A consultant in a teaching hospital gave me 2 weeks of medical rest for proper treatment, the organization refused, sent me to local hospital where the doctor now gave me 7 days with 2 days admission. This was rejected by the HR manager. I continued coming to work until I collapsed. I was at home 2 days, when I came the 3rd day, I was given termination leter.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by lastpage: 1:27am On Aug 27, 2012
tlops: We need a way of protecting employees rights and security at work... I think the law makers need to look into job security issues in Nigeria especially in the banking sector.

In developed countries (at least in the Scandinavia where I studied) no bank goes around hunting for deposits because the fund is already in one bank or another. another problem is that there is too much cash roaming around which encourages such targets. RIP.
Thank you very much for the above contribution.

First, this thread should not be about Access Bank only, it is a general phenomena, in the "Nigerian Working Environment".
Its not just banks but MOST PRIVATE ORGANIZATIONS in Nigeria that "abuse their staff". Insurance, Private educational sector, one-man business, e.t.c

But then, what do we expect in a country with "Youth Unemployment hovering around 50%" and where labors laws are never enforced?

Reading the comments of many people on this thread, one would feel sorry for this country!
The comments show that we as a people, are "morally bankrupt"; as a result of "our economic situation", we have become like "Animals in the Jungle" where a Dog eats a dog!

*Some have even opined that she deserves to die because she did not resign! How callous can we get?
Have you ever dug deeply into why many want to "start their own business" but need to work as an employee, for some years, in order to raise "Capital"? What if they die in the process? Most people do these "slavery jobs" because they need to work and they dont have another job waiting, not even a self-business!

*Some have blamed her husband, for allowing her to work but they failed to 'stop and think': What if, even her husband is one of those men who were laid-off, in the mass retrenchment going on since 2008......and they depend on the wife's current income, for the bulk of the family expenses? How then can he simply tell her: My dear, stop that work joor?

Why cant we just for once, look at ourselves as "humans, with some dignity and self-value"...and demand to be treated like one?
Why do we think our lives have become so "VALUELESS" that "anything-goes"?

Why do we have "labor laws? Why do we have laws that regulate how long a "worker" must work? Why do we have laws that allow workers to go on "annual rest" within a calendar year? Why do we have laws that allow women to go on maternity leave, when pregnant or rearing a newly-born baby?
Can we now say all these laws are unnecessary?

Let me continue later!

Lastpage

BTW: This may be long, so "please skip it", if you are the type that cant discuss issues "in-depth".
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by lastpage: 1:28am On Aug 27, 2012
(Contd)

With the current very high rate of employment in Nigeria, it has become an "employers call".

Imagine if someone job-hunted for five years after graduation...and finally got a job in one of these "heartless organizations" and was given "a very unrealistic target" to be met within a few months.(some of those target are so huge you would wonder where "the boss" expects that money to come from, looking at the current financial climate!)
DOES THAT PERSON JUST WORK AWAY FROM THE JOB? DOES THAT PERSON HAVE A CHOICE OTHER THAN TO "TRY AND SEE" if he or she can meet up?

This is where the "wickedness of Nigerian Company Executive Management" comes into play.

This is how they treat "humans" like commodities!

How does one explain for example, someone employed as an I.T. staff (B.Sc Computer Science, with I.T. certifications included), to be given a "marketing target of say 100 Million Naira", under the guise of "everyone is a marketer"?
when and how does such person concentrate on his/her "core-skills and responsibilities while looking for money to "meet target"?

What then is the job of all these "highly paid Directors and Top Management staff", if they cannot mobilize fund for their organizations
(after all, they are not the one doing the daily routine work), despite all the fantastic pecks they corner for themselves?

Why do they push their own "primary responsibility" (sourcing for funds; for which they have failed woefully), unto the young and insecure recruits and lower cadre staff? Is this not a serious abuse of position and power?

For example, l know of a "Director" in an Insurance company (Crusader Insurance) whose only job/pastime is to go about "watching what lower cadre staffs are doing", (class monitor style, like he does not have an H.R. Departmental head/staff!) while neglecting his core-duty of "networking and raising funds for the organization"!

The same man who cannot even meet a tenth of his target, is the one harassing junior staff, setting ridiculous target for them and sacking them for not meeting their target! THIS IS THE TREND AMONGST EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT NOWADAYS!

A SORT OF "TRANSFER OF AGGRESSION"

I will continue later.

Lastpage!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by lastpage: 1:29am On Aug 27, 2012
(Contd)

Again, we need to look at the "lifestyle" of these organizations and what makes them so desperate for cheap funds, that they are willing to subject "lower cadre staff" to all sort of humiliation and pressure.

1) Waste of company's resources through unbridled corruption: I often wonder why 'Companies Executives' of those days (the 70's) did not send our fathers and mothers, "prostituting for target"? Yet they did good business and survived with a healthy balance sheet! The current generation of "Executive Management" are so corrupt to the point that they need a steady in-flow of "cheap funds" just to keep the company afloat...but the problem is that such cheap funds are getting more difficult to come by.

These guys waste company funds to buy "assorted vehicles for themselves" and change it on a yearly basis!
Imagine when you tell the staff at the year-end meeting that the company is "not making profit" and two weeks after (in January of the new year) you buy cars/Jeeps worth 15millionNaira for each "Management staff" (despite still having the one you bought for them, less than twelve months ago?). What is the sense in such frivolity?

The same "executive management" without any form of oversight, appropriates ridiculous amounts to themselves as "LOANS"( so huge they can never repay it in full!), grant themselves ridiculous "BONUS" (even when the company is not making profit), get jamboree travel allowances, e.t.c
In short, the "executive management eats the company dry" but as expected, such company will sooner run into financial trouble.

They then start to threaten "junior ranks" who never benefited from these corrupt jamboree, with stewpid and unrealistic targets, which if not met, results in their "outright" sack (even without paying them for redundancy!).

WHY SHOULD THESE HAPPEN, can these ever happen in any civilized society? Is it not the "Executive's job, to source for fund while the junior ranks do the routine work?
How come its the junior cadre that gets sacked for the financial recklessness of the Directors and Executive Management who are responsible for "policy formation and implementation"?

Will continue below.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by lastpage: 1:30am On Aug 27, 2012
(Contd)
For the sake of brevity, l will treat two more issues in summary:

2.) Lack of foresight and business acumen: Since it is the Executive Management who are responsible for "policy formation and implementation", the success or failure of the company is their decision. They make decisions on what to produce, where to invest company's funds and energy, e.t.c. The junior cadre just follows orders, as given.

Thus, when company's dont succeed, its the "controllers and managers" at Executive level, that needs to be sacked!.
A big failure of "H.R management in Nigeria" is to pass the blame on the junior staff and retrench them, leaving the "high-earning, Management dead woods" in place! of course, the little that is saved from such retrenchment exercise is soon fretted away and the exercise is repeated again and again.

3.) Failure of regulatory supervision and oversight: By far the worst undoing of the Nigerian employment atmosphere, Executive management has taken advantage of the "dangerous unemployment" situation in the country, to perpetuate heinous evil on their lower level staff and because of the failure or non-existence of "regulatory oversight", these inept "business Managers and Directors" get away with murder.

Some use all forms of intimidation of junior level workers, to cover-up or at least, obscure their own failures.

Go to any office and you will notice that it is the most unproductive and unintelligent "Boss" that harasses the junior ones in the company! Its nothing more than "a defensive mechanism", so as to appear relevant.

If "labor laws" where to be enforced in Nigeria, some of these "Executive Managements" would be in jail right now.
From those who sexually molest their staff, to those who humiliate their staff; Law suits will abound for "unjust sackings, harassment, intimidation, and so on".

But we have a corrupt and comatose judicial system where "justice is for the highest bidder" otherwise, it should be almost free to go to a labor court and judgement is such disputes should be very swift...as against taking donkey years so as to frustrate the aggrieved staff.

So, before you start blaming someone for not dumping a "hypertensive job" ASAP or for not starting their own business, l urge you to pause and look at our "operating environment".

To be continued.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by lastpage: 1:30am On Aug 27, 2012
(Contd)

The funny thing is that some of the most guilty Executive Management staff are those that have worked overseas (in Europe and America) and know you can NEVER treat a staff (not even some illegal job seeker) in this manner and get away with it.
They enjoyed being treated as a human-being, with dignity and respect, yet they treat fellow citizens/employees in Nigeria, like animals!

*The government must take serious action against these employers who treat their staff like slaves.
*Labor laws must be rigorously enforced for all (employer and employees)
*The Labor court must make itself more accessible to aggrieved employees (through publicity/enlightenment on employee rights and duties)
*The labor court/arbitration body must act and determine labor disputes swiftly and decisively.
Government needs to seriously address a situation where a few "executives" steal and rape a company into "financial distress", only for the lower cadre staff to suffer and pay the price. Such Management Executives needs to face the full weigh of the law under 'financial crimes'.

Any H.R worth his or her salt should know that your "employees are your greatest asset" and their well-being is the company's well-being.

Lastpage!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Nobody: 1:53am On Aug 27, 2012
Seun please thread softly
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by ocelot2006(m): 2:22am On Aug 27, 2012
chipmunkey: Is hypertension a killer desease?
@topic. More reason why people need to start considering #selfemployed.

Yes it's extremely dangerous. That's why it's called the silent killer.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by stupor(m): 3:28am On Aug 27, 2012
Ediskcab:
Sincerely i've got my doubts about dis story but if it's true, may her soul RIP.
Come 2 think of it, there r a few policies in access bank dat i feel r inhuman.
Outright discriminatn against HND holders where dey r employed on contract basis nd remain on a fixed salary as long as dey remain wit d bank. Dey dnt even get converted as core staff, No career progressn, no upward review of salary. I knw som 1 who's bn on d same salary since 2008. No bonuses, no allowances etc. A Hnd holder recruited in 2008 automatically bcoms a subordinate 2 a Bsc. Holder who just completed his/her NYSC feb 2012 only for the HND holder 2 put him tru d banks branch operations. I dnt knw if there r other bnks who practice dis but it's sure not encouraging @ all.
+

Wrong human capital of Our banks

One day yOu will eventually repOrt tO your little niece Or nephew that wasn't born as at when you finished school.
Isn't that crazy

Shameful Nigerian banking human capital systems
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by phraze(m): 4:05am On Aug 27, 2012
R.I.P ma'am and a Big mess u to the access bank crew. Bleep yew, al of you, you knw yourselfs. Bastardx. Hw u gon put such Vibrant young people in places that seem detrimental to dey Health. Hun? Hun? Bruts!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Royals1st: 5:02am On Aug 27, 2012
@ acidtalk bro u vex gan read ur comment over again but i guess u are a banker bcs u too vex and even if this issue no be target matter self ! May be she dey rush go home after oga don Bleep her after office her is only GOD that know the real thing that killed her but i tell u what ladies working as a bank dey see ooooo and them too go dey do advrt hi hills shoes , open breat bcs and open boot they show to oga ahba oko ah le nah i know some yourth cops way dey do there yourth cop aha i don tell some of them to marry there job bcs hummm person way go marry them go do pane working oo dem do use them like mad...well i rest my case
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by eprynce(m): 5:21am On Aug 27, 2012
Why am I not feeling for her and the likes? Well, because I know that life does not depend on working in a bank! Was she glued to that job? Why didn't she quit when she couldn't bear it no more? Someone would say she needed the money for the family, right? But who cares for the ones left behind now? As you lay your bed, so you definitely lie on it and a stitch in time always saves nine!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Be Mindful Of The Words You Use / Dehlia Umunna Appointed Clinical Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (Photo) / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.